XBLA - Ticket to Ride - 800pts - Europe DLC out 8/01

[quote name='Decker']God, I grow tired of complaints like this. The only games that ever were released at 400 points were either classic arcade games (joust, frogger, dig-dug), super-simple, super-sucky games like Bliss Island and Space Giraffe, or two decent, deep games (Geometry Wars, Uno) that launched the Arcade and Live Vision, respectively.

Please people, stop saying "I wish this game was 400 points", because it just isn't happening.
Besides this game is certainly worth 800 points.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it is unreasonable to want some games to release at 400 points. There is no reason to jump down my throat just because you've heard this argument before, it's not like I've been spamming threads with this request.

Every game being released at 800 points means I buy fewer games. It's kinda like the Boom Blox game for the Wii, at $50 there is no way I was buying that at full price. I'm not making the argument that this game isn't worth 800 points (I'm still considering buying it) but I still long for the 400 point game is all.

[quote name='ZForce915']I don't think it is unreasonable to want some games to release at 400 points. There is no reason to jump down my throat just because you've heard this argument before, it's not like I've been spamming threads with this request.

Every game being released at 800 points means I buy fewer games. It's kinda like the Boom Blox game for the Wii, at $50 there is no way I was buying that at full price. I'm not making the argument that this game isn't worth 800 points (I'm still considering buying it) but I still long for the 400 point game is all.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't mean to jump down your throat. Nothing personal was ment and I appologize for my snippy post. It's just that every single XBLA thread has somebody longing for games at half-price. That just isn't going to happen. My concern with the XBLA is that after that Penny Arcade game, more games will be priced at 1200 or 1600 points and I would really have an issue with that. As it is, I think 800 points is fair for a new orginal or remade Arcade game. If anything, we can hope that Live revisits their "Arcade Hits" program and discounts more of the older titles.

Of course as a CAG, the trick is to buy points when they're cheap. I bought $160 worth of points for $100 at the last Target sale and got a few rainchecks as well. So what appears to be a $10 actually is only running me $6.25 + tax. that makes it more tolerable. But even at $10, I think Ticket To Ride is well worth it.

[quote name='ZForce915']I don't think it is unreasonable to want some games to release at 400 points. There is no reason to jump down my throat just because you've heard this argument before, it's not like I've been spamming threads with this request.

Every game being released at 800 points means I buy fewer games. It's kinda like the Boom Blox game for the Wii, at $50 there is no way I was buying that at full price. I'm not making the argument that this game isn't worth 800 points (I'm still considering buying it) but I still long for the 400 point game is all.[/quote]

I'd rather see original games than crappy ports of games that are 20 years old. With all the hoops developers have to jump through to get their game released onto XBLA, I think 800 points is a fair price for most of these games that were created from scratch. It just isn't worth it to spend all that time and money developing a game from scratch then going through the Microsoft certification process, only to sell for $5 and have a good chunk of that taken out for Microsoft royalties. $10 is not a lot to ask for these games.

[quote name='lordwow']Bought this and spent 3 hours playing. Can destroy the AI, now working on figuring out how to win against people.[/QUOTE]

The AI doesn't really engage in "prick" maneuvers very often, but you will encounter them frequently when playing online. These are moves like claiming the single card run between Seattle and Portland early in the game to make the Seattle to Los Angeles destination that much harder to finish.

I assume MS takes a percentage out of every game, rather than a flat fee? (Correct me if this is wrong). There's been a lot of games that I would have picked up at 400pts vs. 800pts, and I know I'm not alone. If the developer sells twice as many games, then it doesn't matter if it's 400pts any more.

As for Ticket to Ride, this is most certainly worth the 800pts. Especially when compared to, say, Frogger 2. Bring on the expansions!

:D[quote name='Decker']Sorry, I don't mean to jump down your throat. Nothing personal was ment and I appologize for my snippy post. It's just that every single XBLA thread has somebody longing for games at half-price. That just isn't going to happen. My concern with the XBLA is that after that Penny Arcade game, more games will be priced at 1200 or 1600 points and I would really have an issue with that. As it is, I think 800 points is fair for a new orginal or remade Arcade game. If anything, we can hope that Live revisits their "Arcade Hits" program and discounts more of the older titles.

Of course as a CAG, the trick is to buy points when they're cheap. I bought $160 worth of points for $100 at the last Target sale and got a few rainchecks as well. So what appears to be a $10 actually is only running me $6.25 + tax. that makes it more tolerable. But even at $10, I think Ticket To Ride is well worth it.[/QUOTE]

It's all good :)

I take the same approach when it comes to MS points (or Wii points for that matter), I try to never pay full price for them.

As for the cost issue, I think it is safe to say that I'll have to accept that 800 is the price point for original titles. I agree that seeing games priced at 1200 and 1600 points is a scary precedent and I'm not all about that. Paying more than $10 for a game that you'll never be able to resell is not something we should start accepting.

All that being said I'd still like to see a developer realize that they will sell a lot more games if they are willing to try the 400 price point!

Love the game... but the few times I've played a rank match (one with 4 and once with 5 players) I've never made it to the end of the game without everyone getting disconnected and replaced with computer AI.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Love the game... but the few times I've played a rank match (one with 4 and once with 5 players) I've never made it to the end of the game without everyone getting disconnected and replaced with computer AI.[/QUOTE]I've never had this happen. Might want to verify that your NAT is open.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Love the game... but the few times I've played a rank match (one with 4 and once with 5 players) I've never made it to the end of the game without everyone getting disconnected and replaced with computer AI.[/quote]

It does sound like your NAT is on Moderate or on Strict, hence why you keep seeing people disconnect.

When I test my connection it is "open". If I am getting "open" when I run a test is there anything else I can try to have this not happen? If it has something to do with my router/bridge would it be most likely be the router or the bridge? Thanks.

Just bought it using osme of my free 5000 MS points from the 100 point scam promotion. It's actually very addicting, first time i've spent so much time on an arcade game.

One map is getting a little lod though. Any news on expansions?

600? What the hell is going on with expansions? 700 for Puzzle Quest, 600 for this? These are more outrageous than the Carcassone ones which added like 10 pieces.

I've been thinking about it and I have to say that I agree about the price point. 600 points is, quite simply, too steep for a map. That being said, I would consider buying the expansion if it adds game-play elements to the game. For example, more destination tickets for the US map.

Its a shame really. I really like Ticket to Ride, and want to continue supporting these types of games, but I refuse to do so at this steep of a price.

BTW - The Carcasonne "Lord and Barron" expansion is completely worth the price. Not really for the tiles, but the changes that the expansion makes to game-play.

[quote name='DCriminal']
BTW - The Carcasonne "Lord and Barron" expansion is completely worth the price. Not really for the tiles, but the changes that the expansion makes to game-play.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I meant the River ones, but good call.

Though I didn't buy any of them because I have them all for the real board game.

i would have spent 600 points for the europe map and the 1910 map together. But, this just means that they are going charge 600 each and i don't want to support that.

Ya, I agree. It's setting an awful precedent. I mean, that's way more than Halo 3 or COD4 maps, and those maps take a ton of time to put together. They're just copying the maps from the board game here.

I think I'm the only person who bought Ticket to Ride who does not have any issue with the red and orange colors used in the game. I have no trouble discerning either color.

Maybe I just have superpowers?

That's what the zoom function is for. You can more easily discern the 2 colors. It's really not that difficult.

It's a bit steep for the expansion but it does add more than a map. The European expansion is the one that has train stations I believe, so it does add different gameplay as well. I don't know if it will add more than that, but it does at least add that.

EDIT: After reading that joystiq thing it actually does list off the added elements.

Updated the OP, but nothing you guys didn't already know way before I did...

So who's actually purchased and played Europe? I bought it, but haven't had time to try it. I was a bit taken aback by the price, but after thinking on it, I have no problem shelling out 600 points for this. It would cost me $35 or $40 to buy the TTR Europe board game. I do have to wonder if 1910 will be less, however, as there is less to that in its physical form.

I DO wish that it would have added more achievement possibilities... maybe an additional 100 points or something... It IS, afterall, an entirely different game - they could have done it easily.

I wonder if we will see the Marklin, Nordic, or Switzerland content on XBLA... There was a limited Mystery Train card expansion, too. That would be fun for them to bring to XBLA... 80 or 160 points, maybe?

I'm a big TTR ho... I know...

I'm refusing to buy the expansion on principle. I'd be willing to pay 400 points tops. If/when it drops, I will download it then.

Also, I'm poor.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Anyone still play this? I would like to get a CAG game set up sometime.[/QUOTE]

There is a CAG TTR group but I haven't seen anyone doing anything with it since the game came out

[quote name='fart_bubble']There is a CAG TTR group but I haven't seen anyone doing anything with it since the game came out[/quote]

Yeah I made it and played a few games with a few others. I never got in a game with more than myself and two others though.

This game is a lot of fun and we should try to get a game set up.

Anyone here playing with the Euro DLC? I was thinking about taking the plunge but wasn't sure if there would be anyone to play with online. How is the Euro dlc?
I've never played TTR until I bought it as a XBLA game. Love it.

Anyone know if there is any other board games like this or Carcassone coming to XBLA?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Anyone here playing with the Euro DLC? I was thinking about taking the plunge but wasn't sure if there would be anyone to play with online. How is the Euro dlc?
I've never played TTR until I bought it as a XBLA game. Love it.

Anyone know if there is any other board games like this or Carcassone coming to XBLA?[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard of anything coming down like those games. I LOVE both of them. I haven't gotten the Euro DLC because I haven't decided whether it's worth it either.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Anyone here playing with the Euro DLC? I was thinking about taking the plunge but wasn't sure if there would be anyone to play with online. How is the Euro dlc?
[/QUOTE]

I prefer the euro dlc. i think its a better map that leads to a more interesting game. but that being said I dont know if i would recommend it for everyone. but it was worth it for me
chase, we should play sometime.

[quote name='EnderA6']I prefer the euro dlc. i think its a better map that leads to a more interesting game. but that being said I dont know if i would recommend it for everyone. but it was worth it for me
chase, we should play sometime.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the 1910 mega map

[quote name='EnderA6']I prefer the euro dlc. i think its a better map that leads to a more interesting game. but that being said I dont know if i would recommend it for everyone. but it was worth it for me
chase, we should play sometime.[/QUOTE]

I might consider getting it then. I play this game mostly by myself and maybe the change in map will be a good change of scenery.

Mega bump: I am playing the main board online a lot (small community, but still somewhat active). I am interested in buying the expansions (1910 and Europe), but I would like to know if anyone still plays them online. Anyone have any ideas on how to check this (before I drop $12.50 on them)?

Thanks in advance.

Had you posted last month I probably would have ended up buying TTR for the 800 point rebate deal. However, it may be just as well as I think the online version that's available from Days of Wonder's website may be the better choice any way. It's likely got the much more lively community and it's certainly going to be a supported game, whereas it sure looks like the XBLA version may have been abandoned. I don't know that for sure, though. Anyway, you can play 3 or 4 games online for free, then after that I think it's $10. There are some of the expansions too. There's a version that plays in your browser and a downloadable version for $10 that you can play full screen, has vs. AI offline, and has more wizbang effects and such. Note that I haven't purchased it nor even tried it online, but I did try the initial training game that's vs. weak computer players and one thing I liked about it more then the XBLA version is that the default view of the entire playing board is easier to see/read - probably no need to zoom in at all. Also note that if you buy the real board game you get a membership that lets you play online for free for a year or something like that. I'm not sure if it lets you download the offline version or not.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride-online/en/

Still, if there is an active CAG community for the XBLA version I might be able to be convinced to buy the XBLA version.

[quote name='crunchewy']Had you posted last month I probably would have ended up buying TTR for the 800 point rebate deal. However, it may be just as well as I think the online version that's available from Days of Wonder's website may be the better choice any way. It's likely got the much more lively community and it's certainly going to be a supported game, whereas it sure looks like the XBLA version may have been abandoned. I don't know that for sure, though. Anyway, you can play 3 or 4 games online for free, then after that I think it's $10. There are some of the expansions too. There's a version that plays in your browser and a downloadable version for $10 that you can play full screen, has vs. AI offline, and has more wizbang effects and such. Note that I haven't purchased it nor even tried it online, but I did try the initial training game that's vs. weak computer players and one thing I liked about it more then the XBLA version is that the default view of the entire playing board is easier to see/read - probably no need to zoom in at all. Also note that if you buy the real board game you get a membership that lets you play online for free for a year or something like that. I'm not sure if it lets you download the offline version or not.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride-online/en/

Still, if there is an active CAG community for the XBLA version I might be able to be convinced to buy the XBLA version.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I dd not even know that existed! I am getting the board game later this month, so I will gladly try the online version. The Xbox community is pretty sparse, so it would be nice to have another option.

Thanks!

[quote name='KeyserSoze81']Wow, I dd not even know that existed! I am getting the board game later this month, so I will gladly try the online version. The Xbox community is pretty sparse, so it would be nice to have another option.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I just got the boargame, but I have to wait for Christmas until I get to play it. :) I did get to play the real game for the first time a few weeks ago and I was sold. Easily.

bread's done
Back