XBLA - Wits & Wagers - 800pts - 5/7

LinkinPrime

CAGiversary!
Feedback
170 (100%)

Features

Wits & Wagers™ is the fun trivia party game where you don’t need the right answers to win! For each question, bet on the answer you think is closest to the truth, whether or not that answer is your own. Use your knowledge of trivia, your intuition, and the odds to help decide where to bet! Seven rounds of questions—plus dancing characters and upbeat music—keep a fifteen-minute game lively for family and friends, local or online. Wits & Wagers includes 700 unique and fun questions for up to 25 hours of exciting play!

• Engaging social play: Wits & Wagers is easy to play and yet strategically deep for advanced players. Some win with their knowledge of trivia, others with what they know about their friends.
  • Fun questions: The first question pack of 700 questions is included, providing hours of game play. Games consist of seven questions for a quick and casual round of fun.
  • Connecting couches: The game supports one to four players at one console, or two to six players online. Invite your friends over to your house, or invite your friends online.
  • Peripheral support: Wits & Wagers supports both the Xbox LIVE Vision Camera and the Big Button Pad controller.

Seems like it could be fun, and I do like to lie, but eight-hundred points is a bit much - especially on a throwaway title.

This sounds like the sort of thing that Nintendo would give out for free on the Wii.

That said, it's an interesting idea, and this is the second week in a row where they've put out an overpriced title that I'd probably pull the trigger on for 400pts.

Expect to see almost no games for 400 points in the future. Infact, expect to see games more than 800 points, like penny-arcade's game.

They aren't going to be "better" games, but developers simply can't afford to put out games for 800 points anymore, with Microsoft taking 50% more of their profit than before.

Oh and it is a bit silly to expect a team of 8-15 guys to spend 6-9 months working on something to sell for just $5 on a service that historically only sells retro stuff well.

The trivia whore that I am has been waiting on this since I saw it on some website awhile back.

I don't feel like 700 questions is enough, though. Seems like they could have doubled that to start with. I wonder how often there'll be DLC and how much it will be?

[quote name='PleasantOne']The trivia whore that I am has been waiting on this since I saw it on some website awhile back.

I don't feel like 700 questions is enough, though. Seems like they could have doubled that to start with. I wonder how often there'll be DLC and how much it will be?[/QUOTE]

Yep. Until that is answered, no chance of buying for me.

That, and what about trivia for Scene It? My wife loves that game, and I'd love to be able to use those controllers for a good trivia game...maybe "You Don't Know Jack" will make it to XBLA...I'd pay 800 points for that.

[quote name='PleasantOne']

I don't feel like 700 questions is enough, though. Seems like they could have doubled that to start with. I wonder how often there'll be DLC and how much it will be?[/quote]

The use of the Vision Cam can make this game Tits and Wagers....ba-dum-bum.

Anyways, seems interesting, I will pass more than likely.

[quote name='mittio']That, and what about trivia for Scene It? My wife loves that game, and I'd love to be able to use those controllers for a good trivia game...maybe "You Don't Know Jack" will make it to XBLA...I'd pay 800 points for that.[/quote]

Don't get me started on Scene It... they could do WAY more - on the video game AND board games.

I subscribe to Buzztime Trivia on Dish Network - that thing has a seemingly endless supply of questions, with new ones coming out all the time - and not only do they have to write the questions, but they have to write 3 or 4 "witty" clues for each one... and that's $3.99 a month. You can't tell me it's that time consuming (i.e. expensive) to write more questions.

YDKJ would be awesome.

should be out. has anyone tried it yet? is it any good? how does it use the vision cam? can 2 gamertags play from the same xbox360 over LIVE?

[quote name='glockant']should be out. has anyone tried it yet? is it any good? how does it use the vision cam? can 2 gamertags play from the same xbox360 over LIVE?[/quote]

If you played the demo is basically play it, it's fun if you like these type of games (up to 6 player on live).

To use the vision cam you have to select a TV icon in the character select menu. The character model is a TV with arms and legs showing you. I've only seen 2 people online with this but I couldn't see them for some reason, just static tubes.

There's an achievement for playing with 3 people on the same 360. But I'm not sure if you can play them with more the 1 gametags at a time.

I didn't like this much at all. The graphics were extremely annoying, and the sample trivia questions were pretty boring.

Haven't had a chance to play this yet, but as an avid player of the real board game, I'm curious to see what you all think.

The point of the game is that very very few people will ever know the answers to the questions.

Unlike other trivia games, it's really not a game of testing everyone's knowledge. It's a game of learning how to bet on everyone's answers. The smartest person will not always win. The person that manages their money and bets the best will.

Launched and quit in about 2 minutes. Every single sound that game makes is excruciating to the ear.

Ok, I really dig this... I like how quirky the graphics are, and I like how it plays. I'm still a bit annoyed over 700 questions... BUT - at least for me, I think these are the sorts of questions I won't remember the exact answers to by the time they come around.

I'm probably going to bite... I do want to see if I can find any news form the publisher about how much DLC will be, though.

[quote name='redfusion']Is guessing numbers to questions the only thing you do? Seems more like the price is right instead of a trivia game.[/QUOTE]

If a trivia game is a game that depends on your knowledge in various subjects to win, then no it isn't a trivia game.

I tried the demo. Kind of odd presentation, but not bad. I doubt I'll gt the full version though. I wish they would just get Jeopardy on Live Arcade.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']I tried the demo. Kind of odd presentation, but not bad. I doubt I'll gt the full version though. I wish they would just get Jeopardy on Live Arcade.[/QUOTE]

Don't we all. But I think it is all but certain that it will never happen. Sony owns Jeopardy... so that would be hard to work out I imagine.

bread's done
Back