Xbox 360 1st to 10 million

rothgar24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Just saw this short article on nytimes.com that reuters is reporting that the xbox 360 has reached 10 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/technology/tech-microsoft-xbox.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Key quote:
"History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle," Don Mattrick, a Microsoft senior vice president who heads the company's Xbox business, said in a statement.

I wonder if that small headstart helped.... or should we consider the console war over now.

The way things are panning out, the Wii is this console generation's greatest success. Case in point: Go TRY TO find a Wii at a game retailer... you won't find one...

[quote name='javeryh']Why are there 2 million more members to Xbox Live than consoles sold?[/QUOTE]

Multiple accounts on the same console?

[quote name='javeryh']Why are there 2 million more members to Xbox Live than consoles sold?[/quote]

Perhaps playing on the old Xbox?

That 10M statement normally refers to worldwide sales, in which case Wii got there first.

Its a good thing they stated this now, they're about to be outsold in the U.S. as well.

Still adorable though.

[quote name='javeryh']Why are there 2 million more members to Xbox Live than consoles sold?[/quote]

It said 12 million global XBL memberships, compared to 10 million consoles sold in the US.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Perhaps playing on the old Xbox?[/quote]

I thought of that but 2 million seems quite high - even if you factor in multiple accounts in the same household who share an Xbox 360 it still seems high...

I saw this before I read the article, but perhaps you should re-read it javery:

Microsoft also said global membership of its Xbox Live online service reached 12 million members.

That's global membership, so there could have just reached 10 million sold in the States.

Um...the Wii hit 10 million worldwide sales first. Not the 360. And no, I'm not talking about shipped numbers.

Half of those numbers are due to RROD.

I'm recycling the joke that original XBox owners used about PS2.

Revenge is sweet!

[quote name='KingBroly']Um...the Wii hit 10 million worldwide sales first. Not the 360. And no, I'm not talking about shipped numbers.[/quote]This is 10 million US sales. I think the Wii is at about 9?

Anyone else get the feeling that the 360 lost its momentum after the Halo 3 buzz? The Wii just continues to sell and the PS3 got a big push with Blu-Ray's win over HD DVD.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Half of those numbers are due to RROD.

I'm recycling the joke that original XBox owners used about PS2.

Revenge is sweet![/quote]

They fix the system for you, not force you to buy a new one...thanks Sony!:cry:

[quote name='KingBroly']Um...the Wii hit 10 million worldwide sales first. Not the 360. And no, I'm not talking about shipped numbers.[/QUOTE]

Looks like this is just US sales--i.e. 360 just hit 10 million in US sales.

So it's pointless as worldwide sales are what really matters as these companines care more about their overall sales.

Now for third parties, sales in a particular region matter more. i.e a western company that makes FPS games isn't going to care that the 360 didn't sell in Japan since FPS games do crappy over there. But as far as Sony, MS and Nintendo, it's units sold worldwide that are their metric of success.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I saw this before I read the article, but perhaps you should re-read it javery:

Microsoft also said global membership of its Xbox Live online service reached 12 million members.

That's global membership, so there could have just reached 10 million sold in the States.[/quote]

Ahhh... makes much more sense now... damn I wish I could read.

The 360 was the first system out by a year. You can't say it's the fastest selling system of the three when it had a head start.

[quote name='Predator21281']The 360 was the first system out by a year. You can't say it's the fastest selling system of the three when it had a head start.[/quote]

thats funny, the ps2 had the year head start as well...does it really make a difference, is this press release really for gamers or for there stock holders.

[quote name='Malik112099']proof?[/quote]A quick check of the NPD numbers shows that the PS3 has outsold the 360 every month by a hair (save for March where it lost by a hair) since HD DVD went belly-up. Before that, the PS3 was losing that battle nearly 2-1 on a monthly basis.

Granted, there's a lot more to it than just the long-standing viability of the PS3 has an HD movie player, but that made it much more solid selling point once that "war" was over.

This is anecdotal bullshit. They're going to get their clocks cleaned by the Wii worldwide (sadly) and everybody knows it.

[quote name='Apossum']This is anecdotal bullshit. They're going to getting their clocks cleaned by the Wii worldwide (sadly) and everybody knows it.[/quote]Fixed that up for ya. ;)

[quote name='daroga']Fixed that up for ya. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I didn't know they had already lost the race....well, that just makes this p.r. more sad then.

[quote name='Apossum']Oh, I didn't know they had already lost the race....well, that just makes this p.r. more sad then.[/quote]Yeah, the Wii's momentum is pretty insane. It's beating the shockingly great numbers the PS2 did from its launch to this point in its life too. Warning, link with a "z" instead of an "s": http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=&reg3=All&weeks=156

I have to wonder how long this will keep going. But then again, I've been asking that since the January after it launched. I don't think Wii Fit will do anything to curb demand. The attach-rate for the Wii is much better than I thought it would be, too. Not the 360 levels, but I think the last numbers I saw put the Wii's AR over the PS3's. Hardly the "Buy it for Wii Sports and nothing else" consumer I was expecting.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, the Wii's momentum is pretty insane. It's beating the shockingly great numbers the PS2 did from its launch to this point in its life too. Warning, link with a "z" instead of an "s": http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=&reg3=All&weeks=156

I have to wonder how long this will keep going. But then again, I've been asking that since the January after it launched. I don't think Wii Fit will do anything to curb demand. The attach-rate for the Wii is much better than I thought it would be, too. Not the 360 levels, but I think the last numbers I saw put the Wii's AR over the PS3's. Hardly the "Buy it for Wii Sports and nothing else" consumer I was expecting.[/QUOTE]

Now you're just rubbing salt in the wound. :(

I don't know what the big deal is with wii, I own one and in my opinion they are useless. They have shitty games, and not that good of an online play/communication. The only thing they have going for them is that they are cheap.

[quote name='daroga']Yeah, the Wii's momentum is pretty insane. It's beating the shockingly great numbers the PS2 did from its launch to this point in its life too. Warning, link with a "z" instead of an "s": http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=&reg3=All&weeks=156

I have to wonder how long this will keep going. But then again, I've been asking that since the January after it launched. I don't think Wii Fit will do anything to curb demand. The attach-rate for the Wii is much better than I thought it would be, too. Not the 360 levels, but I think the last numbers I saw put the Wii's AR over the PS3's. Hardly the "Buy it for Wii Sports and nothing else" consumer I was expecting.[/quote]

Wii owners still buy less games on average than xbox 360 and PS3 owners, though more than people thought probably.
My wife isn't a gamer but she is constantly picking up games for us and for our nephew when he comes over.

Here's a link to an interesting older and longer article discussing wii game vs. system purchasing rates and the lack of demand for wii games... even smash a week after the launch:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/21/technology/21wii.html?scp=9&sq=nintendo+wii&st=nyt

Thing is Nintendo makes a profit on the hardware, and there first party titles are selling well, so they couldn't give a shit less about attach rate.

It does matter with 3rd parties, and that's part of the reason I got rid of mine. I just don't see the big 3rd party games being developed for the Wii and I was tired of Nintendo's franchises for the most part so I just had no use for it anymore.

[quote name='daroga']Mmm, nope.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/04/27/xbox-360-leads-software-attach-rate-even-the-wii-beats-ps3/

Neither is doing poorly, but the attach rate for Wii is higher than PS3 as of about 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't go around quoting that NYT article. It's got some pretty crummy info in it.[/quote]

I wonder where it will be after Wii Fit is released. Also, let's keep in mind the GameCube had the highest attach rate last gen and finished last. So high attach rate != guaranteed win.

Attach rate is completely meaningless without "average weeks of ownership", particularly early in the game. The people who recently bought machines naturally drag the attach down, since they cant be expected to buy a ton of games on top of the machine all at the same time.

This comes into play in a larger way when you are selling machines faster than anyone ever has.

[quote name='yukafls']I don't know what the big deal is with wii, I own one and in my opinion they are useless. They have shitty games, and not that good of an online play/communication. The only thing they have going for them is that they are cheap.[/quote]

Why do you keep it if it's "useless"? :roll:

Those PS2 versus Wii numbers are crazy, and much more interesting.

[quote name='yukafls']Well, I guess because I hope that later better games will come out for the console.[/quote]

So why not sell it, make a profit, then buy it for cheaper later on down the road? Oh yeah, because you real gamers need something to complain and b--ch about while you wait for the PS3 to gain some games to justify a ridiculous price tag.

[quote name='yukafls']Well, I guess because I hope that later better games will come out for the console.[/QUOTE]

It won't change. You're going to get Nintendo's first party franchises, an occasional third party game in a traditional genre and a lot of the "casual" stuff like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Carnival Games, Wii Fit etc.

In short, if you're not digging the Wii now, you're probably not going to ever like it. It's not suddenly going to be full of online FPS games or whatever.

[quote name='daroga']Mmm, nope.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/04/27/xbox-360-leads-software-attach-rate-even-the-wii-beats-ps3/

Neither is doing poorly, but the attach rate for Wii is higher than PS3 as of about 2 weeks ago.

I wouldn't go around quoting that NYT article. It's got some pretty crummy info in it.[/quote]

Point taken. Looks like it does. The numbers are completely different from the NPD numbers in your link. They based it on some analyst not the NPD numbers.

"The average Wii owner buys only 3.7 games a year, compared with 4.7 for Xbox 360 owners and 4.6 for PlayStation 3 owners, said a Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter.

3.7 a year seems awfully low.

[quote name='hardwo0d']The way things are panning out, the Wii is this console generation's greatest success. Case in point: Go TRY TO find a Wii at a game retailer... you won't find one...[/quote]

Actually, my GS has had Wii's in stock the last three times I've been in there since Mario Kart was released. The Target here has had Wii in the case the only two times I've been there since the release of Mario Kart as well.

At least recently, the shortage has been slowed down (here anyway).

TBW

Wasn't Microsoft spouting this BS 2 years ago when they promised they'd sell 10 million consoles before the PS3/Wii launch? They already lost their large lead the first time to the Wii in less than a year, so I'm not sure why Microsoft keeps worshipping this idea that this is the key to their eventual victory.

[quote name='rothgar24']

"The average Wii owner buys only 3.7 games a year, compared with 4.7 for Xbox 360 owners and 4.6 for PlayStation 3 owners, said a Wedbush Morgan analyst, Michael Pachter.

3.7 a year seems awfully low.[/QUOTE]

i wonder what the average CAGs buy a yr, double to triple that amount

and everyone knows the wii is the secondary system, i'm sure most wii owners have a 360 or PS3 for real games

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i wonder what the average CAGs buy a yr, double to triple that amount

and everyone knows the wii is the secondary system, i'm sure most wii owners have a 360 or PS3 for real games[/quote]

ive had my 360 since Jan 1st, 2006 and have around 65 games not including arcade games

[quote name='greyzieoriental']i wonder what the average CAGs buy a yr, double to triple that amount

and everyone knows the wii is the secondary system, i'm sure most wii owners have a 360 or PS3 for real games[/QUOTE]

Yeap right on point about a few things. We CAGs have multiple systems and we buy games cheap. I would say I buy atleast 30 games a year, 5-6 games for the Wii doesn't seem far off for me though.

and everyone knows the wii is the secondary system, i'm sure most wii owners have a 360 or PS3 for real games[/quote]The Wii is my primary system by far, with the 360 and PS3 only getting turned on when something compelling hits :)

Of course, the Wii's been on fire since November, with Galaxy, NMH, Brawl, and now Kart. I'm pretty sure I hadn't bought a single game for the 360 in between Rock Band and GTA4. Although, things are looking sketchier for the Wii from here on out, so we'll see what E3 brings. And with NG2 and MGS4 hitting their respective HD consoles, that'll be a big reason to fire those puppies up.

I think the real letdown for me with the 360 is how lax Microsoft has gotten releasing games for their own system. I know there's a few things coming out semi-soon (Fable 2?), but both Nintendo and Sony do a better job releasing their own software than MS does. It really seems like they thought their lead and Master Chief was going to let them coast through this generation, and with the Wii destroying them and the PS3 catching up, they're not in a real great position.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the 360 at dead last in total consoles sold by the end of this generation, especially if Sony can continue to put the pieces back together going forward.

bread's done
Back