Xbox 360 $299 and $399!!!

MaskedPlague

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
Not that this was unexpected. The price has been announced. From Joystiq.
I am glad I didn't preorder! I don't think the hype was true. Wireless controllers standard. Whatever.

Additional information added from Xbox.com

For gamers who want the ultimate experience (and the best value) right out of the box, Microsoft will offer the $399.99 U.S. Xbox 360 console. This premium edition—distinguished by signature metallic detailing on the console itself—comes fully loaded for the ultimate gaming experience, with components and accessories that would cost more than $200 if sold separately. The system includes:
  • Xbox 360 Console: Sexy styling that packs a punch—three powerful core processors are poised to pump out 720p/1080i output, 16x9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and DVD playback right out of the box.
  • Xbox 360 Hard Drive: 20GB and detachable, the hard drive allows gamers to store their games, music, downloaded trailers, levels, demos, and community-created content from Xbox Live Marketplace.
  • Xbox 360 Wireless Controller: Hassle-free high-performance precision wireless gaming features the Xbox Guide Button for quick access to digital movies, music, and games libraries as well as a range of up to 30 feet and 30 hours of battery life on two AA batteries. 3
  • Xbox 360 Faceplate: The removable Faceplate comes in stylish "chill" (white) and can be swapped out with custom Faceplates to reflect gamers' personalities or decor.
  • Xbox 360 Headset: This lets gamers strategize with teammates or trash-talk opponents while playing games on Xbox Live.
  • Xbox 360 Component HD-AV Cable: This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360 games and graphics through high-definition and standard-definition connections.
  • Xbox Live Silver membership: With this, gamers can chat with friends online, send and receive voice and text messages, and access new content from Xbox Live Marketplace like demos, trailers, and casual games from Xbox Live Arcade.
  • A bonus Media Remote: Included for a limited time only, the integrated control center for the entire digital experience lets consumers play DVDs, movies, and music, as well as access their Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC with a single remote.
At $299.99 U.S., the Xbox 360 Core System comes standard with what consumers need to jump right into next-generation games and media, and is fully expandable to the complete Xbox 360 experience:
  • Xbox 360 console: As with the premium edition, three powerful core processors pump out 720p/1080i output, 16x9 cinematic aspect ratio, anti-aliasing for smooth textures, full surround sound, and DVD playback right out of the box.
  • Xbox 360 Controller: This wired controller features an extended nine-foot cable and a comfortable, enhanced ergonomic design.
  • Xbox 360 Faceplate: Like no other console before, the Xbox 360 console allows customization and a removable Faceplate that comes in stylish "chill" (white), which can be swapped out with other custom Faceplates to reflect gamers' personalities or decor.
  • Xbox 360 Standard AV Cable: This connects gamers to the world of Xbox 360, delivering great next-generation graphics and games using standard-definition connections.
The Xbox 360 console also comes ready for customization. With an array of Xbox 360 accessories, gamers can trick out their systems to suit their individual tastes and personalize their experiences. In addition to an ever-growing selection of eye-catching Faceplates ($19.99 U.S.), Xbox 360 Controllers (estimated retail price $39.99 U.S.*), and Component HD AV Cable (estimated retail price $39.99 U.S.*), the lineup includes a wealth of accessories that brings next-generation gaming entertainment to its optimum:
  • Xbox 360 Hard Drive: 20GB and detachable, the hard drive allows gamers to store their games, music, downloaded trailers, levels, demos, community-created content from Xbox Live Marketplace, and more (estimated retail price $99.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 Memory Unit (64 MB): Easily portable, this lets gamers save games, in-game achievements, and unique gamer profiles for quick and easy access on the go (estimated retail price $39.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 Wireless Controller: The same hassle-free high-performance precision wireless gaming that comes with the premium edition features the Xbox Guide Button for quick access to digital movies, music, and games libraries as well as a range of up to 30 feet and 30 hours of battery life on two AA batteries (estimated retail price $49.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit: This allows plug and play for high-performance, precision wireless gaming with the Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. Gamers will be given ample warning when the end of battery life is nearing so they can connect the Play & Charge cable for uninterrupted play (estimated retail price $19.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 rechargeable battery pack: This provides up to 25 hours of gameplay for wireless gaming fun (estimated retail price $11.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter: With this, gamers can chat with friends and play games via Xbox Live, as well as stream videos and music to Xbox 360 from a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC, all without the clutter of wires (estimated retail price $99.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 Headset: This heightens the Xbox Live experience by letting gamers strategize with teammates or trash-talk opponents while playing games (estimated retail price $19.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote: Sold as an accessory, this integrated control center for the entire digital experience lets consumers play DVDs, movies, and music, as well as control a TV and their Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PC with a single controller (estimated retail price $29.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 S-Video AV Cable (U.S. only) / Xbox 360 SCART AV Cable (Europe only): This versatile cable works for both high-definition and standard-definition TVs that use S-Video or composite video inputs. It provides optimal audio and video signal transfer (estimated retail price $29.99 U.S.*).
  • Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable: Gamers can experience high-definition gaming on flat-panel TV or VGA monitors. This cable provides optimal audio and video signal transfer (estimated retail price $39.99 U.S.*).

Well, it looks like I'm waiting for a deal on this one. $399 is too much for me if this is true. No way I would buy the $299 version.

Boooooooooooooo.

The $299 version comes with a WIRED controller and without a harddrive!? No thanks! If you buy the $299 version, you're gonna need to buy a memory card anyway, so tack on $20 for that.

No sale.

Wow that is terrible if this is true.

I guess I will wait for the PS3 to launch... I'm sure the $299 version will be eliminated and the $399 version will be $299 when the PS3 is in stores.

GOD I hope this isn't true. I REALLY wanted games to utilize the HDD. Now truly the XBox 360's specs mean fuck all to the PS3's in terms of game size. Same game on both systems, with the PS3's version looking better. -_-

[quote name='help1']No way in hell, I wont believe it till I see a trustable site.[/QUOTE]

Follow the links on the site and it will lead you to the LA Times Article that you have to register to read. That's pretty trustworthy to me.

That's right.. the xbox convention is in the works. I failed to relate the two.
For a price of 399, at least M$ is easing the pain with the included remote, mic., hd cablec and stuff.

Well, guess I'll be waiting. Bad move IMHO, they will confuse consumers with this. I know they said you wouldn't need a HDD to play the games, but didn't they also say HDD and wireless would be standard? I could be wrong.

prices of extras

* Faceplate ($19.99) - WTF??
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99)
• Controller ($39.99)
• Headset ($19.99)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99))
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99)

Count me out. Everyone will develop for the lowest common denominator which means the non hard drive models. Am I losing interest in video games or do the companies making these systems just suck that much?

"...the hard drive allows gamers to store their games, music, downloaded trailers, levels, demos and community-created content from Xbox Live Marketplace..." It sounds like the HD won't be used for gameplay this time. $400 is a little to high for me. This will be the second console I won't be getting at launch (the first was the 3DO which was $700).

[quote name='javeryh']Count me out. Everyone will develop for the lowest common denominator which means the non hard drive models. Am I losing interest in video games or do the companies making these systems just suck that much?[/QUOTE]

I am starting to feel the same way. I'm losing interest in the "newer and better" games when they simply aren't fun to play anymore. As it stands right now I purchase more classic games than the newer titles, even though I own every system available.

Yeah, I gotta think this makes developing games tough. You have to account for the lack of a Hard Drive now and develop for the 2 versions. I dunno. :roll:

For $300 with the HD I would been on it at launch. Now I think I will wait until the PS3 and see what shakes out then.

$399 isn't all that bad, but it is a real disapointment. I really hope there is a good reason behind the $399 price tag and not some lame reason like, Sony is chrageing $400+ so we're going to charge $400 too.

I might just go for the $299 version and then wait for the HD-DVD version if I want all the extra stuff.

You have to think, is the 20GB drive, wireless controller, Wireless headset, High-definition AV cables, Ethernet cable, and remote really worth the extra $100?
Only thing I want is the HardDrive, I could care less about the wireless controller, Wireless headset, High-definition AV cables, Ethernet cable, and remote.

i would rather wait and watch the xbox price crash after the 360 hits and get a ton of games cheap. Already had one best buy worker said they will start to clear out Xbox games Early 2006

Offering to seperate packages will alienate consumers who will not know the difference between the system. HDD support does not look good.

The core system for $299 is a ripoff and at $399 for the HD system it's still too expensive for my taste...I preordered it but at $399 I'm not too sure if that's in my price range. I figured $360ish sounds about right but $399+tax and $60 games might be a bit much. You figure between 1 game, XBL and XBox360 your spending $500. That's a lot of money to be spending at once.

can you play xbox games on 360

1 worker said Some But another worker told me all with a download patch. I said that would be sort of stupid to make the patch download only cause what happens to all who dont take it online

[quote name='kill3r7']The core system for $299 is a ripoff and at $399 for the HD system it's still too expensive for my taste...I preordered it but at $399 I'm not too sure if that's in my price range. I figured $360ish sounds about right but $399+tax and $60 games might be a bit much. You figure between 1 game, XBL and XBox360 your spending $500. That's a lot of money to be spending at once.[/QUOTE]

im sure some stores will run the system at 360. It be in bold type

BUY THE 360 for $360

im sure some stores wouldnt be able to pass up running an ad like that

[quote name='slidecage']can you play xbox games on 360

1 worker said Some But another worker told me all with a download patch. I said that would be sort of stupid to make the patch download only cause what happens to all who dont take it online[/QUOTE]

You can play some of them(Gray area) but only if you buy the HDD system.

I love all the outrage over the price. So $350 was ok but $400 makes them pure evil.
Everybody tends to talk tough but when launch time comes, a lot of you guys will pay even though you claim you wont. People always find a way to find the extra cash when its something they want or its hot. (see PSP) This will be no different. Once the PR machine gets rolling full tilt and a few guys and gals here pick one up and start posting about it, most of you will turn to the dark side.

[quote name='slidecage']im sure some stores will run the system at 360. It be in bold type

BUY THE 360 for $360

im sure some stores wouldnt be able to pass up running an ad like that[/QUOTE]

I don't remember seeing N64 consoles for $64 when it launched... :D

Stores won't take a $40 hit for something they don't have to - especially since invoice is probably going to be close to $400 since MS is losing money on every console sold...

If this is confirmed, it is an extremely dumbass move on Microsoft's part. They had the chance to really get a foothold on the next gen race, but by offering two different machines at two different pricepoints, they've instead created an obstacle that didn't need to be there. Heck, I'm a huge Xbox fan (probably one of the biggest), but I'm sure not going to touch that $300 version and $460+ to play a single game at launch isn't exactly making me jump for joy. The weird thing is, I don't think I'd be overly upset at paying $400 for the system, but releasing that $300 version makes the $400 version seem expensive. If it's only $100 difference between the two versions, it seems like Microsoft could have ponied up and put out only one version (the good one) for $350.

Good luck trying to gain ground in Japan with this stupid strategy Microsoft.

Do you really think stores would take a $40 loss just to run an add like that? Does not sound feasible at all to me. Especially since its probably going to sell out in the beggining even with its expensive tag. Maybe you were just being sarcastic.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Someone should start a new thread:

"How I'm going to justify my +$500 Xbox 360 to my spouse/significant other..."[/QUOTE]

Yeah...tell me about. I'm a college student and last time I checked $500 is quite a bit of money. Don't know if I feel like throwing that away for a system. I wonder how expensive the PS3 is going to be?

Oh well I still have my Xbox, PS2, GC and my new favorite system the GBA SP. I've been spending more time playing my SP games than my console games combined.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Someone should start a new thread:

"How I'm going to justify my +$500 Xbox 360 to my spouse/significant other..."[/QUOTE]

or a thread like "Why I'm done buying overpriced consoles especially at launch when the current generation is still going strong and there really isn't a need to release anything new and games are so cheap that with the backlog I've got stored up I can just skip the next generation altogether and still not play everything I want to play"

[quote name='shipwreck']If this is confirmed, it is an extremely dumbass move on Microsoft's part. They had the chance to really get a foothold on the next gen race, but by offering two different machines at two different pricepoints, they've instead created an obstacle that didn't need to be there. Heck, I'm a huge Xbox fan (probably one of the biggest), but I'm sure not going to touch that $300 version and $460+ to play a single game at launch isn't exactly making me jump for joy. The weird thing is, I don't think I'd be overly upset at paying $400 for the system, but releasing that $300 version makes the $400 version seem expensive. If it's only $100 difference between the two versions, it seems like Microsoft could have ponied up and put out only one version (the good one) for $350.

Good luck trying to gain ground in Japan with this stupid strategy Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

The $300 version is obsolete. You can't play your xbox games on it and you don't get HD support. What's the point?? Unless they don't plan to use the HD at which point it becomes useless accessory. I'm not sure what they are trying to do but I think I'm going to take the wait and see approach with this one.

[quote name='javeryh']I don't remember seeing N64 consoles for $64 when it launched... :D

Stores won't take a $40 hit for something they don't have to - especially since invoice is probably going to be close to $400 since MS is losing money on every console sold...[/QUOTE]

but 360 is closer to the sale price then the N64 was. It might be Get a 360 for 360 with purchase of 2 games or something like tha

[quote name='supadupacheap']I love all the outrage over the price. So $350 was ok but $400 makes them pure evil.
Everybody tends to talk tough but when launch time comes, a lot of you guys will pay even though you claim you wont. People always find a way to find the extra cash when its something they want or its hot. (see PSP) This will be no different. Once the PR machine gets rolling full tilt and a few guys and gals here pick one up and start posting about it, most of you will turn to the dark side.[/QUOTE]

Its like when you here people bitch when something is $100 but are fine when its $99. They look at the price and it just looks high. Its why companies use stupid $99.99 on items.

MS shouldn't have done two systems at least not a launch. If they first released the $399 version, then when the PS3 came out released the $299 version that would have gone over alot better.

[quote name='kill3r7']The $300 version is obsolete. You can't play your xbox games on it and you don't get HD support. What's the point?? Unless they don't plan to use the HD at which point it becomes useless accessory. I'm not sure what they are trying to do but I think I'm going to take the wait and see approach with this one.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people are going to take that approach. The only thing I'm certain of is that Sony reps are sitting around smiling about this news. Any news that is going to make people wait and see what the PS3 is going to offer is bad news for Microsoft. They should want to get this machine in as many hands as possible as quickly as possible. I just want to slap people at Microsoft upside the head for even thinking this approach was a good idea.

I think they would've been better off to not have the $300 version at all, as it seems like more of a slap in the face than anything else.

They should've phrased it like "Well, it's $400, but look at all the stuff you get!"

[quote name='evilmax17']I think they would've been better off to not have the $300 version at all, as it seems like more of a slap in the face than anything else.

They should've phrased it like "Well, it's $400, but look at all the stuff you get!"[/QUOTE]

Exactly, evilmax. Now go get a marketing job at Microsoft!

[quote name='CapAmerica']
You have to think, is the 20GB drive, wireless controller, Wireless headset, High-definition AV cables, Ethernet cable, and remote really worth the extra $100?
[/QUOTE]

Considering each of those items breaks down to 25 each (ethernet cable being 0$) it is definitely worth the extra $100.00. If MS decides to sell a wireless controller for $49.99 (which is rumored) then why wouldn't you just spend an extra $50 to get all the other stuff?

The fact that there is two version is not that much of a bother to me. However the fact that one lacks the 20GB hard drive is worrisome. I own the PS2 hard drive: pure waste of money. Only one game supports it. Now how many developers you know would ask you in addition to buying one of their $60 game that you need to buy a $100 hard drive just to play? They will develop for the lowest common denominator as I would have were I in their shoes. Let's hope MS knows something that we do not, because if not this most likely will be the last Xbox we'll ever see.

I am buying though.

$710.87 estimated cost for my 360 at launch

$399.99 + (4gamesx$60) + 15.99 overnight + 54.93 tax

I cannot wait!!!!

Since some sumbitch closed my thread that was actually posted seconds before this one, I have no other option than to post in this (much later posted :lol: ) thread.

European Xbox 360 prices revealed

Along with the announcement of $299 and $399 pricing levels for the Xbox 360 in the US, Microsoft has revealed European recommended retail prices for the two consoles and accessories. Not surprisingly us Europeans are getting shafted. Instead of £165/€242 and £220/€323 respectively (what US dudes will pay), EU prices are £209.99/€299.99 and £279.99/€399.99 for the basic and extra pack. That’s £45/€58 and £60/€77 more! With such an inspired simulateous worldwide release day it’d have been nice if everyone paid the same price.

Along with announcing the console prices in Leipzig, Germany today, Microsoft revealed how much the accessories are gonna cost ya’. Here’s a rundown:

Hard Drive (20 GB) - £69.99/€99.99 (aren’t there 120GB PC drives available for less than this?)
Memory Unit (64 MB) - £22.99/€34.99
Headset - £14.99/€19.99
Wireless Controller - £32.99/€34.99
Rechargeable battery pack - £9.99/€14.99 (lasts for 25 hours of wires free power)
Wireless Networking Adapter - £59.99/€79.99 (eek!)
Universal Media Remote - £19.99/€29.99
SCART AV Cable - £17.99/€24.99
VGA HD AV Cable - £19.99/€29.99 (very useful if you have a PC screen)

[quote name='ShadowRayden']The fact that there is two version is not that much of a bother to me. However the fact that one lacks the 20GB hard drive is worrisome. I own the PS2 hard drive: pure waste of money. Only one game supports it. Now how many developers you know would ask you in addition to buying one of their $60 game that you need to buy a $100 hard drive just to play? They will develop for the lowest common denominator as I would have were I in their shoes. Let's hope MS knows something that we do not, because if not this most likely will be the last Xbox we'll ever see.

I am buying though.

I cannot wait!!!![/QUOTE]

The HD will come in handy for all the updates people download of XBL. Plus buying Memory cards can be really expensive.

[quote name='ShadowRayden']I am buying though.

I cannot wait!!!![/QUOTE]

Wow.

I'd say...
wait for like 3 months.
www.Xbox-Scene.com and other hacker communities will have a way to hook up any hard drive you want.
A Headset plugs into the bottom of your controller so you can use any cellphoone - ''Hands Free'' device.
Ethernet cords are worthless i've got a million of them.
Wireless Controllers are the only 1st party item I want on the whole list.
Plus its not like everyone will be 20ft from the tv. SOMEONE can handle being close to it.

Yeah one guy said "I thought this was next-gen with Wireless Controllers"

- I'm right there with yeah.

bread's done
Back