Xbox 360 $299 and $399!!!

i think the 400 pricetag is fair considering all the stuff you get

but what worries me is the fact that they now cant use the massive hard drive to their advantage to make games more complex , its actually a turn off on the console

So this is how Microsoft is going to shoot itself in the foot. You would think Microsoft would realize that losing money is bad and bringing an affordable console that would put you in the video game sales race is good.

[quote name='ShadowRayden'] Let's hope MS knows something that we do not, because if not this most likely will be the last Xbox we'll ever see.
[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping this will be the last XBOX and that M$ will get the fuck out of the console gaming industry.

I'm cancelling my 360 pre-order today on the way home from work.

$460 to get into a system (the $299 is a joke with the "pricepoint driven" configuration that they're working to put out) with a single game is a crock of shit when I'm not guaranteed that all of my titles (like shipwreck, I have more than a couple XB games) will work. Some of them, yes, most of them, maybe, though all of them, not sure? No thanks. I'm taking my $50 from my pre-order back and if I end up having issues with my current Xbox, I'll apply it to keep it going for a year from when I send it in.

Plus, the whole issue with "no HD-DVD drive now, though maybe in the future" sort of screws you if you buy now, since what happens when they do ship a Xbox 360+ (or whatever they call it, 360A, Mk. 2) with an HD-DVD drive in 12-18 months from launch, or whenever they do it, what happens with the games? Do you need to look for the box to say "only plays on Xbox 360 w/HD-DVD drive"? Do you have your $400 investment get shitcanned because you can't retrofit a HD-DVD drive module in there because it's fixed to the chassis? Are they going to have people buy a $200 HD-DVD module for a console they already spent $400 on, when they could buy the same console for $400 with the drive already included?

Yes, I know early adopting costs extra money, though if they hadn't been flirting around with HD-DVD in a future Xbox 360, I'd probably go buy one out of the gate.

I don't know what Microsoft is doing, remember how at E3 they were saying how great the new Xbox live marketplace, correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the HD a big part of this marketplace, being able to create custom items store them on the HD and sell them over Xbox Live? Now with the package so much who is really going to use the Marketplace or have a HD?

[quote name='Otherguy676']So this is how Microsoft is going to shoot itself in the foot. You would think Microsoft would realize that losing money is bad and bringing an affordable console that would put you in the video game sales race is good.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps so, and look at Nintendo. Have you seen the price of the GBA micro? $99.99 What is nintendo thinking?

If the revolution launches for the same price as an xbox 360, nintendo may be done for as well.

OUCH!!!!

I better hit the lottery soon!

If they wanted to grab a good foothold, they just lost it. Ya, the hardcore gamers will pick it up. I do not think there are enough hardcore parents (or spouse in my case) who like seeing a $500 pricetag for a console and 1 game. Think $300 was the magic number, but the way they have it set up now, sucks.

I agree with others that the HD might become useless if developers decide not to spend the extra time for an accessory (addon or whatover your choice of words would be.) Would just be an expensive Live addon.

So I've got approximately $500 in GameRush credit just sitting there that I had put away for the 360. Now I'm seriously debating whether I want to spend that on the 360 and one game, or whether I should just buy pretty much every Xbox game that I am missing. What would Bill Gates rather I do?

Nintendo isnt putting anything into there console that will be cost effective towards the consumer's. I think Nintendo will have a great chance at being the best system with the games they launch with and there price.

Here's what needs to happen:

Nintendo should announce that the Revolution will support 16x9 and 1080i (or even 720p) as the standard for all games. Nintendo should also announce that it has partnered with MS so that Live is now run through the Revolution. Microsoft should then drop the console business altogether and focus on making the Live experience even better than it already is and still publish its first-party titles like Halo.

Although I think the w/out hd option is lame...I do have a question.

Since you can link to an extended XP system to pull music, photos, vids, etc...is it possible to store you game saves to your networked pc? Thus, negating the need for the detachable hd...

Hmmmmm?

[quote name='mcwilliams132']Although I think the w/out hd option is lame...I do have a question.

Since you can link to an extended XP system to pull music, photos, vids, etc...is it possible to store you game saves to your networked pc? Thus, negating the need for the detachable hd...

Hmmmmm?[/QUOTE]

Even if that were true (I don't know) developers still can't count on everyone hooking theu 360 up in this fashion and would still be forced to release games as stripped down as possible so that they can sell to the largest audience.

Anybody else think the Revolution has a better chance with the main stream consumer? If they get the price under $250, I would think Nintendo may put itself in a very good position. It may not be the most powerful of the 3, but I think the big N is doing the smart thing by keeping it a game console.

[quote name='Dogpatch']Anybody else think the Revolution has a better chance with the main stream consumer? If they get the price under $250, I would think Nintendo may put itself in a very good position. It may not be the most powerful of the 3, but I think the big N is doing the smart thing by keeping it a game console.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna buy one.

I was considering purchasing an xbox 360 for its "tivo like" abilities that haven't really been clarified yet. I figured I could pair it up with the new Windows Vista next year and a 802.11g network and stream video from my pc with tv tuner to my tv with xbox 360 hooked up to it. Now this $400 price has made me decide to just keep my current xbox and buy a replay tv instead. (only $30) This will save me about $400 and give the finger to Microsoft!

[quote name='pimpinc333']Nintendo isnt putting anything into there console that will be cost effective towards the consumer's. I think Nintendo will have a great chance at being the best system with the games they launch with and there price.[/QUOTE]

Hehe

Was having the same thought.

[quote name='shipwreck']So I've got approximately $500 in GameRush credit just sitting there that I had put away for the 360. Now I'm seriously debating whether I want to spend that on the 360 and one game, or whether I should just buy pretty much every Xbox game that I am missing. What would Bill Gates rather I do?[/QUOTE]

Get your money now in Xbox games that are "yesterday's news", of course. ;)

I am glad I am not the only one who was disappointed by the pricing news. Shrike's posts only reaffirmed my decision to not pick up the 360 at launch. As far as this gen's cosoles go, Xbox is my favorite, but if the Xbox 399 and the PS3 are going to be the same price, I am going with the PS3. At least the PS3 will have a Blu-Ray drive. That alone makes me feel better about the price.

I don't know what to do now.... I really was looking forward to the Xbox 360 but now I'm just not so sure. I expected to pay around $360 (as did most of us) for the system. I know $400 isnt much more but you've also got to figure in the extended warranty. When consoles first launch there are usually problems that occur 6 months down the road (Playstation had trouble doing the FMV's, PS2 had the DRE's, some of the Xbox's had bad drives) and without the warranty you may of just wasted $400. Another setback is that the games are going to cost $60. I know it's only $10 more but that adds up. I would probably want 2 games at launch so you gotta figure...

$400 (system) + $50-60 (warranty) + $120 (2 games) + $40 (tax) = over $600.

That's a lot of money to spend on a system that we hope will last..

[quote name='MaskedPlague']Shrike's posts only reaffirmed my decision to not pick up the 360 at launch.[/QUOTE]
OMG. :shock: People are basing decisions on the teachings of Shrike? Surely its a sign of the apocolypse. :rofl:

Two things:

1) Since all of the accessories that come with the $399 version can be bought separately and added to the $299 version, I think the $399 version should be seen as a value pack and not a "different machine".

2) Isn't it true that most games in the first Xbox didn't use the hard drive for game performance anyway? So it doesn't seem like a huge issue that the same thing will happen this time. If you guys were expecting the 360 to blow away the PS3 by having most games take advantage of the HD to increase performance, I see why you're disappointed, but I don't think that would have happened even if every 360 came with an HD.

[quote name='extremep']Two things:

1) Since all of the accessories that come with the $399 version can be bought separately and added to the $299 version, I think the $399 version should be seen as a value pack and not a "different machine".[/QUOTE]

The hard drive can fundamentally alter the way a game is played and designed. It's not just a cosmetic accessory so I think it is a "different machine."

[quote name='extremep']2) Isn't it true that most games in the first Xbox didn't use the hard drive for game performance anyway? So it doesn't seem like a huge issue that the same thing will happen this time. If you guys were expecting the 360 to blow away the PS3 by having most games take advantage of the HD to increase performance, I see why you're disappointed, but I don't think that would have happened even if every 360 came with an HD.[/QUOTE]

Now developers won't have the option to use the hard drive because they will market to the lowest common denominator. It will likely be as useless as the PS2 hard drive.

[quote name='MaskedPlague']I am glad I am not the only one who was disappointed by the pricing news. Shrike's posts only reaffirmed my decision to not pick up the 360 at launch. As far as this gen's cosoles go, Xbox is my favorite, but if the Xbox 399 and the PS3 are going to be the same price, I am going with the PS3. At least the PS3 will have a Blu-Ray drive. That alone makes me feel better about the price.[/QUOTE]

Theoretically, they could make the DVD module removeable (the damn thing does have a removable front cover, after all) and then sell a HD-DVD module seperately, though they'd have to package it in some easy to remove/install format, like a laptop drive's connectors, otherwise they're in the realm of crack-the-case warranty issues. Sealed, slide-in, slide-out unit will cost more than a regular 5.25" wide PC-style drive, so there goes the cost right there.

Or, they could do an upgrade program, which would update the system with a HD-DVD module (and whatever built-in SW on the system that would support it, if any), which would involve shipping the unit back and forth, like they do for repair.

I can't see them doing either one, since they know that anyone who bought the unit w/o a HD-DVD drive is locked into already having Xbox 360 games, so they'll just buy another unit.

At least, Sony is waiting until BluRay DVD drives are out in some quantity, since I think the first one being sold to the public either just started to sell in the last few months, or is just about to. Quantity means lower costs for manufacturing.

Had they not teased anyone with HD-DVD on the horizon, then I don't think people like me would care much. The Xbox has been the same design for 5 years, and the games have been better with the same hardware. A mid-lifecycle change to a HD-DVD drive changes everything around, especially if designers suddenly go from 3-4GB for a game to 16GB+ for a game. Also, what happens if you buy an Xbox 360 game that is for HD-DVD and you have an "older" system with a regular DVD drive. Retailers can't sell opened product for new, can they, and they'll pull their hair out on that one.

[quote name='supadupacheap']OMG. :shock: People are basing decisions on the teachings of Shrike? Surely its a sign of the apocolypse. :rofl:[/QUOTE]

I know you have something better to do than wave the "Shrike fanclub" banner. ;)

The PS3 still isn't going to have a HDD out of the box. It's also an add on. You can't use any existing PSone/PS2 memory cards on it either...... but you can run 2 1080i displays :roll: yeah that makes perfect sense.

I hate hardware launches with a passion. Now I'm spending $400 and still need the play and charge ($19.99) the S-VHS ($29.99 since I travel quite a bit.), second controller ($39.99 big fucking ouch.) so that's $100 more on hardware/accesories that I didn't think I'd need to spend. So just on hardware I'm at $490.

If games are at $60...... oh man. I had budgeted $700-800 for launch system/accesories and hopefully 5 games and I really want 7 of the launch titles. If I get 7 with tax and $60 games I'm looking at a $973.70 day.

Thats amost $200 more than I initially thought I'd be spending. I splurge bigtime at launch and am back to cheapness after the first 6 months. I can tell you one thing, I'm now skipping the PS3 launch completely. No way in hell I'm doing a second $1,000 day within a year on games.

Guess Nintendo has one more early adpoter! Just like this generation my buying order is going to be (Sega, can't happen obviously.) MS, Nintendo, Sony.

[quote name='extremep']2) Isn't it true that most games in the first Xbox didn't use the hard drive for game performance anyway? So it doesn't seem like a huge issue that the same thing will happen this time. If you guys were expecting the 360 to blow away the PS3 by having most games take advantage of the HD to increase performance, I see why you're disappointed, but I don't think that would have happened even if every 360 came with an HD.[/QUOTE]
What percentage of Xbox games released to date make use of the HD in this way anyway? I'd guess less than 10%...way less.

I think that the 360-HardDrive situation is disappointing because it takes away the potential for this feature to be used, but in reality it probably won't make a huge difference.

[quote name='javeryh']The hard drive can fundamentally alter the way a game is played and designed. It's not just a cosmetic accessory so I think it is a "different machine."[/QUOTE]

No, my point is that the $299 version can be "turned into" the $399 version by adding accessories. Remember, the HD will be detachable and sold as an accessory. So this just makes the $399 version a value pack bundle. Would you call the PS2 a completely different machine based on whether or not the HD is plugged in?

So let me get this straight ... Microsoft is offering the XBox 360, certainly a far superior gaming system than the original XBox, for the exact same launch price as the original XBox five years ago? And somehow that makes them evil?

Am I the only one who assumed that the XBox 360 with hard drive would be right around $399? Why would anyone make the insane assumption that the 360 would launch with all the bells and whistles for the same price as the original XBox?

Besides, I would think most CAGers know that the 360 launch means only one thing for us ... cheap ass Xbox games! We can always buy the 360 later when it's on sale or the schmuck down the block wants to sell his for $150.

Don't panic friends ... this is nothing unexpected at all.

Oh also, it seems silly at first for the HD to be only 20 GB. They could easily increase the capacity without increasing the cost. Then again, I'm not really going to complain about this because the original Xbox's HD was only 8 GB and I never filled it up. Anyway, they'll probably sell bigger versions later.

I still dont get a 20 gig hd for 100 bucks, I got my 200 gig for 70 this is just too much, plus the wirless starting price is 50 bucks. I would never buy another control for 50 dollars they must think people are stupid and made of money.

I have heard there might be a Nintendo annoucment soon, this would be the perfect time after this crap.

Blah. Screw this.

I was very impartial to all next gen systems - the 360 wasn't too impressive (games-wise), the PS3 is too early to judge, and the Revolution is just too obscure. However, I started leaning towards picking up a 360 at launch, since I missed out on Live play this gen, plus it looked like it had potential. But this multiple price thing has made me change my mind. I, like most, would want the "Mack Daddy" system, but it doesn't seem worth it. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about the 360 and Microsoft's promotion of it that I just don't plain like.

I'll wait to hear more about the PS3. Blu-Ray, All the Way!

[quote name='Purkeynator']Two new things I noticed on this site http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=37027&subsectionid=1586
Notice under the "Xbox Live Silver Membership" on the premium pack? Does this mean those without a hard drive cannot play xbox live at all now?[/quote]

No, both versions come with Xbox Live Silver.

Second thing is the Premium edition has "metallic detailing". I have not seen this before and wonder what the difference will be between the two.

Yes, this is the ONLY actual difference between the two versions. The other differences are just included accessories. I think it's a bad idea to differentiate the two in this way, but it will probably just be a few tiny metallic lines or something.

[quote name='extremep']Two things:

1) Since all of the accessories that come with the $399 version can be bought separately and added to the $299 version, I think the $399 version should be seen as a value pack and not a "different machine".

2) Isn't it true that most games in the first Xbox didn't use the hard drive for game performance anyway? So it doesn't seem like a huge issue that the same thing will happen this time. If you guys were expecting the 360 to blow away the PS3 by having most games take advantage of the HD to increase performance, I see why you're disappointed, but I don't think that would have happened even if every 360 came with an HD.[/QUOTE]

How can you go from having a HD as standard this gen to having it optional for next-gen? How is that making progress?? Some type of internal high capacity storage device should be standard on all consoles by now - whether it's a HD or flash memory.

This is an afront to all gamers who get lied to and promised how awesome next-gen consoles will be only to see the industry move backwards.

[quote name='themather']So let me get this straight ... Microsoft is offering the XBox 360, certainly a far superior gaming system than the original XBox, for the exact same launch price as the priginal XBox five years ago? And somehow that makes them evil?

Am I the only one who assumed that the XBox 360 with hard drive would be right around $399? Why would anyone make the insane assumption that the 360 would launch with all the bells and whistles for the same price as the original XBox?

Besides, I would think most CAGers know that the 360 launch means only one thing for us ... cheap ass Xbox games! We can always buy the 360 later when it's on sale or the schmuck down the block wants to sell his for $150.

Don't panic friends ... this is nothing unexpected at all.[/QUOTE]

Lets not forget that $299 xbox that came out 4 years ago had a hard drive in every last one produced.

[quote name='themather'] Why would anyone make the insane assumption that the 360 would launch with all the bells and whistles for the same price as the original XBox?
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, could it be the fact that hardware prices have dropped significantly since the launch of the original Xbox? You can't tell me that computer and chip prices have not gone down tremendously from 4 years ago based on the performance these chips now put out. This is especially evident in hard drive pricing today.

[quote name='Scrubking']How can you go from having a HD as standard this gen to having it optional for next-gen? How is that making progress?? Some type of internal high capacity storage device should be standard on all consoles by now - whether it's a HD or flash memory.

This is an afront to all gamers who get lied to and promised how awesome next-gen consoles will be only to see the industry move backwards.[/QUOTE]

I agree in general, the industry hasn't moved forward much in this area. But all three major console makers are to blame. Unfortunately the first Xbox was ahead of its time, compared to the competition at least, and this time Microsoft is matching its competition more closely.

[quote name='themather']So let me get this straight ... Microsoft is offering the XBox 360, certainly a far superior gaming system than the original XBox, for the exact same launch price as the priginal XBox five years ago? And somehow that makes them evil?

[/QUOTE]

The wireless controller, headset, component cables and remote I was going to buy anyways. I just expected the play and charge to be included with the wireless controller if it were included with the launch package. I think the $399 bundle is a great value but I don't understand, for the life of me, why you'd release the stripped down version at all.

There isn't one educated person buying the 360 this fall that's going to buy the base package. What's going to happen is you're going to see a shortage of the big bundle and mom and dads with spoiled kids will snarf up the base model, $100 HDD, $30 remote, $50 wireless controller, $20 headset, $40 for the component cables etc. to get to the full bundle.

Think abou that folks. That extra $100 on the bundle would cost you $240 to buy seperately ala carte.

[quote name='Dogpatch']Anybody else think the Revolution has a better chance with the main stream consumer? If they get the price under $250, I would think Nintendo may put itself in a very good position. It may not be the most powerful of the 3, but I think the big N is doing the smart thing by keeping it a game console.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if the majority of the market will appreciate that, but I sure do. And it's not always about having the money or not. I have the means to buy any of the next-gen machines, but I don't *want* to spend $400+. I want to put a patio on my house, I want to finish my basement and make it a game room, all these things cost money. At the end of the day, I just want to play some games. I hope Nintendo can find a way to come in at $199 again. I'd be in.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Hmm, could it be the fact that hardware prices have dropped significantly since the launch of the original Xbox? You can't tell me that computer and chip prices have not gone down tremendously from 4 years ago based on the performance these chips now put out.[/QUOTE]

And?

Simple marketing and inflation dictate that prices are higher when new/advanced things come out. No company ever releases an advanced form of their product, and then charges less than the original.

[quote name='extremep']Would you call the PS2 a completely different machine based on whether or not the HD is plugged in?[/QUOTE]

It makes a big difference for developers in the programming of the software. If developers can't count on having that extra functionality being there in every console (like the Expansion Pak for N64), then the developers likely won't program their games to take advantage of the HDD much of the time.

Consumers that buy the premium system will likely have to suffer through many a $59.99 game that doesn't fully exploit their system's capabilities as a result. Lame, lame, lame. . . :cry:

Well...It looks like I'll either have to win one (pepsi give away starting aug 26th) or wait for a big price drop. Price being the only real factor here...when I get a 360, I'll get it w/HD.

The biggest thing for me with the HD is custom sound tracks (which can be accomplished now with the 360 via a networkd pc) game saves and content downloads (which I'd like to see it be able to save to a netoworked pc - but I bet security will be big factor and that won't happen). I hate memory cards!

[quote name='evilmax17']What percentage of Xbox games released to date make use of the HD in this way anyway? I'd guess less than 10%...way less.

I think that the 360-HardDrive situation is disappointing because it takes away the potential for this feature to be used, but in reality it probably won't make a huge difference.[/QUOTE]
This is from 1up.com "You will, however, need that hard drive if you're hankering for some backwards compatibility, says Microsoft representative Mitch Koch. A number of original Xbox titles cached data through the hard drive, making backwards compatibility technically impossible on the Xbox 360 Core System. We still don't know how many or what specific games will even take advantage of the feature at launch; Koch simply said the technology hurdle has been jumped, and now it's a matter of just making it all work." I dont know how many use it exactly, but many games would use the cache for shorter load times.Halo 2 is one of those for sure.

Well, looks like I'm not getting a 360 at launch. I was seriously thinking about it, but since I've been spoiled by the first Xbox's HDD I simply refuse to go back to using memory cards and getting the HDD is going make it too much for me. I'd be spending a minimum of $460+tax for the 360 the way I want it and I just can't afford that right now.

What Microsoft should have done is release just one version, maybe including only the HD and wireless controller, for $360. Then they could lower the price later on, e.g., when the PS3 launches. Everybody knows early adopters will pay a shitload, and why not take advantage of the whole "360 for $360" slogan?

bread's done
Back