Xbox 360 Falcons (65nm) are here!

So we don't have confirmation that this is legit yet, eh? I;m weighing the benefits of having one that won't Red Ring thatnks to the cooler temps and better solder with the annoyance of needing to be connected to Live to play my purchased arcade games.

[quote name='daroga']So we don't have confirmation that this is legit yet, eh? I;m weighing the benefits of having one that won't Red Ring thatnks to the cooler temps and better solder with the annoyance of needing to be connected to Live to play my purchased arcade games.[/QUOTE]

Just keep yours. If it Red Rings, send it in and you'll get it fixed with the new heat sink, better solder etc.

The 65NM chip probably won't make that much difference anyway, it's the new heat sink they started putting in that should solve the problem. 65NM may just help a little extra by keeping temps down some, but not sure how much since the GPU (which is the main problem) is staying at 90NM.

[quote name='propeller_head']65nm has nothing to do w/ quiet. that's the DVD drive. 65nm means it uses about 30% less electricity, and you're guaranteed one w/ the new BGA soldering process; so less chance of RRoD. the 90nm halo 3 editions you're guaranteed the better heatsink w/ copper heatpipe though. so that also reduces the risk of RRoD. 65nm isnt a huge deal, but tech geeks love to think about it, because its new & interesting.;):)[/quote]

According the people on the Xbox.com forums and my friend who has a 65nm Halo 360, they are quieter.

My Halo 360 has the Benq drive and disc accessing MUCH quieter, but the fan noise is still as pronounced as ever.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']According the people on the Xbox.com forums and my friend who has a 65nm Halo 360, they are quieter.

My Halo 360 has the Benq drive and disc accessing MUCH quieter, but the fan noise is still as pronounced as ever.[/quote]
hmm, that may be. i never really noticed the fan on mine. just the DVD drive. maybe you notice the fan more because your dvd drive is quieter:lol: anyway i just meant that the majority of the noise that people in the past, that ppl have complained about was because of the DVD drive not the fans.

[quote name='daroga']Huh... I'm 1/2 way tempted to sell my current system and get one of these once it's fully confirmed. Are warranties transferrable so that someone who bought it from me would have it? (I bought that 3 year warranty from MS a month or so before they announced 3 years on the RROD issues.)

If I did that, but obviously kept my harddrive, would I still have to be connected to Live to play my already-purchased Arcade games?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if anyone answered your q, but the answer is YES. XBLA games are tied to the system they're dloaded on, not the HDD / Mem Card.

My 360 was manufactured on 9/15/07.

I don't think it has anything special though. No HDMI either.

But it's really really quiet! And that's about it. Probably nothing special.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']My 360 was manufactured on 9/15/07.

I don't think it has anything special though. No HDMI either.

But it's really really quiet! And that's about it. Probably nothing special.[/quote]
no HDMI? was it a core?

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']According the people on the Xbox.com forums and my friend who has a 65nm Halo 360, they are quieter.

My Halo 360 has the Benq drive and disc accessing MUCH quieter, but the fan noise is still as pronounced as ever.[/QUOTE]

System fans louder than the DVD drive? I don't think any of the systems are like that.

[quote name='dmaul1114']The 65NM chip probably won't make that much difference anyway, it's the new heat sink they started putting in that should solve the problem. 65NM may just help a little extra by keeping temps down some, but not sure how much since the GPU (which is the main problem) is staying at 90NM.[/quote]

That's what I've figured, too. Doesn't seem like the Falcon should be the miracle cure we all first anticipated, since it seems the steps Microsoft's already taken should be what solve the primary issue at hand.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out. If, for some reason, reliability on the Falcon units are more reliable than the Zephyrs, then hey - I'll use my in-store warranty, take my current Elite back, and pick up a Falcon...but I don't expect that'll prove to be necessary.

My MFR-on-9/15/07 360 was sent to me after my 360 got the RROD.

No HDMI. I think it's worse than a core, since I hear the new Core 360s have HDMI built in and the 65nm chip. But it's very quiet.

I'd think that with a console built 2 weeks ago, it'd have the new chip. I do not know how to tell if it does or not, but so far, looks like not.

MRCUR doesn't know shit. Don't listen to hiim. He didn't even know about the HDMI Premium 360s. The only way you can find out if you have the new chipset is if you open your box up. Don't worry, if you get RRoD you will be covered, and if you don't, well, by that type you won't even care.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']My MFR-on-9/15/07 360 was sent to me after my 360 got the RROD.

No HDMI. I think it's worse than a core, since I hear the new Core 360s have HDMI built in and the 65nm chip. But it's very quiet.

I'd think that with a console built 2 weeks ago, it'd have the new chip. I do not know how to tell if it does or not, but so far, looks like not.[/quote]

You got a refurbished 360 back from microsoft and they slapped a new serial number on it.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']
[/QUOTE]

That's for the arcade bundles which aren't out yet. At least the HDMI part, 65NM still a rumor for those.

[quote name='Danil ACE']You got a refurbished 360 back from microsoft and they slapped a new serial number on it.[/quote]
Nahh, the 360 isn't refurbished. It's totally brand new. Made on 9/15/07, shiny on the disc cover (the silver part), and I even had to remove some factory sealed stickers (like the transparent stickers that cover the wireless signal receiver on the 360).

Without any doubt, my 360 is new, but I'm trying to figure if it has the new chip or not, since it was manufactured so recently.

But, no HDMI ports make me believe no new chip is inside.:cry:

Seems weird as I'm pretty sure they stopped manufacturing new premiums with out HDMI in July.

Could be a refurb and they just used a new case of the old design they had laying aroudn for some reason.

Yeah, the shiny disc cover he mentions debunks the core possibility.

Cores are still made, they have a new core bundle coming out soon with a mem card and 5 free XBLA games. But this wasn't one if it has a chrome drive cover..

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']My MFR-on-9/15/07 360 was sent to me after my 360 got the RROD.

I'd think that with a console built 2 weeks ago, it'd have the new chip. I do not know how to tell if it does or not, but so far, looks like not.[/quote]
ah ok. yea MS is trying to clear out the cores from inventory. you probably got a new core w/ a HDD added. the cores did have the new heatsinks/DVD drives added along w/ the HDMI versions earlier. so that's probably why it's quieter and doesnt have HDMI.

[quote name='Perfect*Ending']Nahh, the 360 isn't refurbished. It's totally brand new. Made on 9/15/07, shiny on the disc cover (the silver part), and I even had to remove some factory sealed stickers (like the transparent stickers that cover the wireless signal receiver on the 360).

Without any doubt, my 360 is new, but I'm trying to figure if it has the new chip or not, since it was manufactured so recently.

But, no HDMI ports make me believe no new chip is inside.:cry:[/quote] hmm shiny DVD cover. cores dont have that. maybe MS has been manufacturing models specifically for replacement on the same core line w/ the premium DVD drive face.

you dont have to open your 360 to tell if it's falcon. but you do need a bright flashlight and good eyes.

this explains
http://forums.xbox.com/15804553/ShowPost.aspx

i doubt it does though, i think the halo 3 limited 360s from lot #734 are the only ones w/ it atm.

[quote name='propeller_head']hmm shiny DVD cover. cores dont have that. maybe MS has been manufacturing models specifically for replacement on the same core line w/ the premium DVD drive face.

you dont have to open your 360 to tell if it's falcon. but you do need a bright flashlight and good eyes.

this explains
http://forums.xbox.com/15804553/ShowPost.aspx

i doubt it does though, i think the halo 3 limited 360s from lot #734 are the only ones w/ it atm.[/quote]Just did that now and I apparently have a falcon chip \\:D/Problem is that the console is still loud. Not as bad as older 360's but it's definitely noticeable.

So you can only be sure it has the 65nm chip if it's the Halo 3 version and the others are just speculation/trial and error? I skipped a couple pages so I might've missed it.

I was debating whether to buy the Halo 3 edition or pick up and elite. It's only a $50 price difference and 120GB looks really good, but the hardware in a Halo 3 edition seems like it would be more reliable :/

Gah, I'm confused :(

not all halo 3 editions have 65nm. some still have 90nm. you can use the method looking at the heatsinks, or you can check if its lot #734.

there may be other lot numbers w/ 65nm im not sure, so that's not a perfect method. but at least if its lot #734 you know its 65nm w/o having to try and look at the heatsink.

i have my suspicions that the ones arriving Oct 9 (premium) 23 (elite), the forza 2/ Marvel UA bundles will include the 65nm. the timing seems right. but dont quote me on that.;)

[quote name='propeller_head']not all halo 3 editions have 65nm. some still have 90nm. you can use the method looking at the heatsinks, or you can check if its lot #734.

there may be other lot numbers w/ 65nm im not sure, so that's not a perfect method. but at least if its lot #734 you know its 65nm w/o having to try and look at the heatsink.

i have my suspicions that the ones arriving Oct 9 (premium) 23 (elite), the forza 2/ Marvel UA bundles will include the 65nm. the timing seems right. but dont quote me on that.;)[/quote]

I just did :D

haha, but I guess I'll put it off then :/

I was really looking forward to playing some 360 this weekend, but if it's just a week's difference between having the "old n' busted" or "the new hotness", then I guess I wait a little while longer. I'll be looking for some update when those bundles get released ;)

Just replaced by crapped-out premium last week.

When I look at the bottom with a flashlight I can see what looks like a small copper pipe. I'm assuming that's what I DON'T want to see. Oh well.

My 360:

Lot 0730
BenQ drive (supposedly quietest one: fucking loud in actuality)
HDMI port

[quote name='propeller_head']not all halo 3 editions have 65nm. some still have 90nm. you can use the method looking at the heatsinks, or you can check if its lot #734.[/QUOTE]

Not even all 734 lots have 65nm and MRCUR is only assuming that lot 735 and above will be 65nm for sure.

Nothing is for sure.

[quote name='propeller_head']not all halo 3 editions have 65nm. some still have 90nm. you can use the method looking at the heatsinks, or you can check if its lot #734.

i have my suspicions that the ones arriving Oct 9 (premium) 23 (elite), the forza 2/ Marvel UA bundles will include the 65nm. the timing seems right. but dont quote me on that.;)[/quote]The flip-side to that assumption is that the bundles are the last group with 90nm in inventory, and this is the move to get rid of them.

My guess is that they're 90nm w/added heatsink + heatpipe, not 65nm.

To everyone thinking BenQ drives should be quiet, try this: play Halo 3 or Bioshock or some other game off the DVD drive for 20 or 30 minutes to let the machine get nice and hot, then eject the disk.

In my case, the machine got no quieter at all -- meaning the noise is from the fans, not the DVD drive. The fans are much louder than any of the new DVD drives in my experience.

[quote name='ringlord']To everyone thinking BenQ drives should be quiet, try this: play Halo 3 or Bioshock or some other game off the DVD drive for 20 or 30 minutes to let the machine get nice and hot, then eject the disk.

In my case, the machine got no quieter at all -- meaning the noise is from the fans, not the DVD drive. The fans are much louder than any of the new DVD drives in my experience.[/QUOTE]Isn't it possible your drive simply wasn't spinning just before you ejected the disk?

[quote name='PyroGamer']Isn't it possible your drive simply wasn't spinning just before you ejected the disk?[/QUOTE]

Nope, because the noise from the machine is steady while I'm playing. It starts out relatively quiet even after I put the DVD in, but after the machine starts to heat up from playing the game the fans crank up to keep it cool.

It's consistently loud the whole time I'm playing, then I go to eject the disk and the noise is still just as loud. It's definitely the fans, no doubt in my mind. Supposedly there are two fan types and one is quieter than the other. Some guys on avsforums.com have been trying to keep track, but it sounds like a crap shoot which type you get in your system.

It makes sense since some BenQ owners are saying their systems are still loud.

Now, granted, I think the new DVD drives are quieter than the old ones, but that's not to say the new 360s are silent while you're playing games. A quiet(er) DVD drive is nice, but the fans are still damn loud.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying the system, though. :)

If im thinking of getting a 360... Most likely the elite, should I get it now, or wait a few weeks? (I may also get the premium depending on my mood lol)

[quote name='ep2011']If im thinking of getting a 360... Most likely the elite, should I get it now, or wait a few weeks? (I may also get the premium depending on my mood lol)[/QUOTE]

You'll get 2 free games if you wait until the end of this month.

[quote name='ringlord']Nope, because the noise from the machine is steady while I'm playing. It starts out relatively quiet even after I put the DVD in, but after the machine starts to heat up from playing the game the fans crank up to keep it cool.

It's consistently loud the whole time I'm playing, then I go to eject the disk and the noise is still just as loud. It's definitely the fans, no doubt in my mind. Supposedly there are two fan types and one is quieter than the other. Some guys on avsforums.com have been trying to keep track, but it sounds like a crap shoot which type you get in your system.

It makes sense since some BenQ owners are saying their systems are still loud.

Now, granted, I think the new DVD drives are quieter than the old ones, but that's not to say the new 360s are silent while you're playing games. A quiet(er) DVD drive is nice, but the fans are still damn loud.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying the system, though. :)[/QUOTE]

That makes sense (about the fans.) The elite I had before was much quieter than the premium w/ benq I have now. This might be my loudest 360 yet.
I don't notice it after a minute or two, but it's pretty disappointing. Also, it seems to run pretty hot when a game is in there. This is from lot 0730.

[quote name='ep2011']If im thinking of getting a 360... Most likely the elite, should I get it now, or wait a few weeks? (I may also get the premium depending on my mood lol)[/QUOTE]

The only reason to wait is for possible pack-in games for the holidays.

Ahh what the heck, I'll wait on it for another month. I've waited for almost two years, I can wait a little longer :p

Hopefully by then I'll have the guarantee of the 65nm Chip, a cooler (maybe quieter?) system, and two free games :D

I'll be checking back to see what the dealio is yo

I got a Halo 3 360 to replace my RRoD premium. It's considerably lighter than the premium. I'm not sure how much lighter if feels but it's definitely shed .5 lb or more.

[quote name='nintendokid']More info:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/824/824183p1.html

Edit: MS wasn't kidding about soft launching the Falcons, phasing out the 90nm CPU, and BenQ/Hitachi drive situation. I don't think I've ever seen the gaming community this confused and outsmarted.[/QUOTE]

This is the same info that was already out on Xbox.com forums. Ign just put their logos on the pics the forum user took.

[quote name='OGHowie']This is the same info that was already out on Xbox.com forums. Ign just put their logos on the pics the forum user took.[/quote]

IGN said that in the post. He gave credit to JWSpeed at xbox.com

[quote name='Apossum']That makes sense (about the fans.) The elite I had before was much quieter than the premium w/ benq I have now. This might be my loudest 360 yet.
I don't notice it after a minute or two, but it's pretty disappointing. Also, it seems to run pretty hot when a game is in there. This is from lot 0730.[/QUOTE]I want to get a new 360 sometime because mine is too loud (and distracts me while playing a game). My first 360 was louder (with the Hitachi drive), but my Samsung Drive Premium is still loud. I would like to get an Elite eventually, but I hope it's quiet enough.

So its pretty much 100% that the "new" straight from the factory systems are falcon. Lets go with that for a second. Now. I want to buy a 360. My problem is I want to know, -key word know- that I'm getting a Falcon. I suppose I'm screwed in that sense for now? Online maybe you can trust Amazon but I doubt they'd even list it as a Falcon. Any ideas? Wait for Xmas time and maybe get lucky with a store that had to get new systems? I'm not happy with how this went.

[quote name='AvidWriter']So its pretty much 100% that the "new" straight from the factory systems are falcon. Lets go with that for a second. Now. I want to buy a 360. My problem is I want to know, -key word know- that I'm getting a Falcon. I suppose I'm screwed in that sense for now? Online maybe you can trust Amazon but I doubt they'd even list it as a Falcon. Any ideas? Wait for Xmas time and maybe get lucky with a store that had to get new systems? I'm not happy with how this went.[/QUOTE]

Best bet is to either wait for confirmation on what lot numbers/manufacture dates are 100% certain to have the falcon motherboard, and just check boxes until you find one.

Or do like me and wait until at least early 2008 and another price drop and pretty much be guaranteed that whatever you buy will have one buy that point.

I don't really care about the falcon, heatsink should be enough. But will wait as I'm too busy with work etc. this fall to need a 2nd console (already have a Wii) and in generaly don't want a 360 enough to pay more than $300.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Best bet is to either wait for confirmation on what lot numbers/manufacture dates are 100% certain to have the falcon motherboard, and just check boxes until you find one.

Or do like me and wait until at least early 2008 and another price drop and pretty much be guaranteed that whatever you buy will have one buy that point.

I don't really care about the falcon, heatsink should be enough. But will wait as I'm too busy with work etc. this fall to need a 2nd console (already have a Wii) and in generaly don't want a 360 enough to pay more than $300.[/quote]

I'll go with that as well. I'll wait and see if there are any deals that constitute a good reason for me buying it earlier than the start of next year. There are a couple games I wanna play, I guess this would be a good time to take on my backlog of games.

[quote name='OGHowie']You'll get 2 free games if you wait until the end of this month.[/quote]

Yeah but aren't those the bundles to get rid of the old chipset inventory?

I was so damn excited when I read the title, then get in the topic only to find that they're actually OPENING THE PACKAGING to try and analyze the console. I wouldn't trust "LOT 734 and anything after 8/24 (or whatever it was)" alone.

When someone can definitively tell just by looking at the damn box, or the fine print on the box, whether it has the new chipset or not, THAT is when this topic should be made.

I'm with the rest of you...I've held off long enough, what's a few more months. Especially with a ridiculous backlog.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I'll go with that as well. I'll wait and see if there are any deals that constitute a good reason for me buying it earlier than the start of next year. [/QUOTE]

Yep. I could deviate and buy one this fall if there's another price drop to $300 (perhaps to counter the $400 40GB PS3?) or a retailer deal with a couple of free games that I actually want (no interest in Forza 2 or Marvel, and resale value will tank when the bundles come out).

Appearantly the Halo3 360s are the only ones coming with the Falcon chipset....
Just intercool your current models and call it a day. Outside of the grinding DVD drive eye, I havent had a problem with mine.

[quote name='Lupuri']Appearantly the Halo3 360s are the only ones coming with the Falcon chipset....
Just intercool your current models and call it a day. Outside of the grinding DVD drive eye, I havent had a problem with mine.[/quote]

By "intercool" I sure hope you're referring to ventilating and using a floor fan to keep cool and not referring to the $20 intercooler that restricts airflow and causes instability to your power supply.

[quote name='NamelessMC']By "intercool" I sure hope you're referring to ventilating and using a floor fan to keep cool and not referring to the $20 intercooler that restricts airflow and causes instability to your power supply.[/QUOTE]

i hope he isn't referring to that either....nyko intercooler = you got owned by a bb employee.

anyway, would a regular floor fan do all that much? I have a nice high velocity fan I could use.

Yes. Aim the floor fan to the side of the 360 where the intake fans are (The opposite side of the hard-drive). It doesn't have to be right next to it, just has to have that air flowing toward it.

That cool air helps a lot.

My launch unit is still alive and kicking. Wish I could say the same for my other unit. -_- But I didn't have the floor fan on that one!

[quote name='NamelessMC']Yes. Aim the floor fan to the side of the 360 where the intake fans are (The opposite side of the hard-drive). It doesn't have to be right next to it, just has to have that air flowing toward it.

That cool air helps a lot.

My launch unit is still alive and kicking. Wish I could say the same for my other unit. -_- But I didn't have the floor fan on that one![/QUOTE]

Thats interesting. Never would have thought of that. I just hope that only helps the older ones. Hate to have that set up with a new falcon.

bread's done
Back