Xbox 360 - Free Games With Gold (membership) question

Haggar

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
My apologies if this has been asked/answered already. I didn't see it discussed.

Diidn't Microsoft say we would would get two games per month? All I've seen is Fable 3 and the month is almost over.

Did I miss a game?

Thanks

The next free game wont come until July 1.  They will be releasing one title on the 1st and 16th day of each month until end of year. 

Yeah, they said the "two games a month" deal started in July. Also, in the E3 conference they didn't say that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 would be the first games they gave away, just that they would be a part of the freebies. That doesn't mean that those aren't the first two, but I'm not going to be surprised if it's something different. 

Fingers crossed for games I don't already have. And who doesn't have a copy of Halo 3 these days? I played the hell out of that game from day 1.

Yeah, they said the "two games a month" deal started in July. Also, in the E3 conference they didn't say that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 would be the first games they gave away, just that they would be a part of the freebies. That doesn't mean that those aren't the first two, but I'm not going to be surprised if it's something different.
Um....

Xbox Live Gold members will begin receiving two free games per month starting July 1 with Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi announced during the company's E3 press conference today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Fable III was their free taste. The actual promo is going full force in July. There will be a free game on the first and the sixteenth of each month. Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed II are confirmed as titles that are in the promotion. However, I would be careful not to assume that these will be the first two games. They are most likely just going to be in it at some point.

I will download both of them, despite playing the hell out of each. I beat AC:II and almost 100%'ed it. I played 100s of hours of Halo 3. Absolutely fantastic game. I will throw in my Halo 3: ODST multiplayer disc if I want to play it. My hope is that more people will be playing that game online.

Edit: Just saw this. You are quoting Polygon. The exact wording in the press conference is tricky. However, I took it to mean included in the program.

"gold members new or existing will receive two free game downloads - yours to keep. And to kick off that program, I would like to share just two of the titles that we are going to share over the next few months. Assassin's Creed 2, and Halo 3."

-From the Microsoft Press Conference.

See, he says 'kick off that program' (meaning immediately), but comes back and says that these are just two of the titles that they are going to share over the next few months. It's tricky.

It also extends past the X1's release date, contrary to popular belief.

"*“Games with Gold” free games offer available 6/10/13-12/31/13 for qualified paid Gold members only."

Thanks for all of the replies.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a game. My 250gb hard drive is almost full so I downloaded Fable 3, then deleted it. It still shows I "paid" for it and when I look up Fable 3 on the Marketplace it asks if i want to "Download Again".

Um....

Xbox Live Gold members will begin receiving two free games per month starting July 1 with Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3, Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi announced during the company's E3 press conference today.
I don't want to get into an argument because it doesn't matter, but what Yusuf Mehdi said was "To kick off that program, I'd like to share just two of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months: Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3."

You can check it out here: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/10/the-entire-microsoft-press-conference-e3-2013

at the 9:30 mark.

Again, you may be right, but he did not say that they would start with those two games.

Edit: Sorry, Dark Rider, you already addressed this but I just hit reply when I saw NinjaPenguin's reply. You gave a great explanation.

"*“Games with Gold” free games offer available 6/10/13-12/31/13 for qualified paid Gold members only."
Also, watching that video he says it goes through the release of the Xbox One so I never figured it would just stop with the One's release. I hadn't seen that asterisk, where did that come from? The xbox site?

Also, watching that video he says it goes through the release of the Xbox One so I never figured it would just stop with the One's release. I hadn't seen that asterisk, where did that come from? The xbox site?
Yeah.

HTZ linked it... sorry should have linked the source :)

I was under the impression that it only ran through the X1 launch. Still running this through December only is really weak. Hopefully that's all they have lined up right now and eventually they'll extend it. Maybe they can emulate 360 games on the X1 in the future  :pray:

And yea I was just quoting an article I found but I thought that was the pretty general consensus as far as Assassins Creed and Halo. If those are the types of games we are getting then the program is going to be pretty weak in conjunction with the the short run time. Basically bargain bin titles from 5-6 years ago. I can understand them not releasing blockbusters that were just released but try a little harder MS.  

Yeah, I didn't understand why those were the games presented. I mean they're either the first games being given away and other, better games haven't been decided upon yet or those are the highlights of the freebies. I mean you don't go to e3 and show the oldest/cheapest/most owned games of your program and keep the more recent blockbusters that will be free, that would get people excited, hidden away. Do you? Idk...maybe :shrug:

If Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 are the best games this program has to offer, I will laugh, and so will a lot of other people.  But I imagine it's going to be one first party and one third party game a month until whenever this thing ends.  I don't expect them to be great games, either.

*Worst Possible Scenario*

"And today at Microsoft, we are proud to announce the August and September lineups of free games.

Available soon, a game that revolutionized Xbox 360 launch games and multiplayer, Perfect Dark Zero. And, also, coming soon in the month of August, a game that defined the hack and slash genre for the month it came out, Conan The Barbarian!

Next up for September, you will find that we have included the game that forever revolutionized cross platform multiplayer, it's Shadowrun! Coming soon also, a game that many people know as one of the greatest sports games to grace the Xbox 360, that's right, Top Spin 2!

We expect gamers to love these games as much as us here at Microsoft do!" 

Seriously though, I would expect Gears of War and Alan Wake at some point. I also wouldn't be surprised if we get Viva Pinata (great game btw), Crackdown, Forza 3, and maybe Banjo or Kameo. Also, I would expect a Kinect game at some point. Probably The Gunstringer or Fable: The Journey. 

i would not mind perfect dark zero i have yet to play that game
I played a ton of multiplayer on that game during the first year I had my xbox 360. I remember I had that game, need for speed most wanted, and call of duty 2 as my launch games.

I just hope they at some point release something I haven't played already.  I've played a lot of 360 games so chances are I'll have most of them, I just hope I actually get 1 or 2 out of all this.

If Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 are the best games this program has to offer, I will laugh, and so will a lot of other people. But I imagine it's going to be one first party and one third party game a month until whenever this thing ends. I don't expect them to be great games, either.
Fairy Tale Fights and Madden 06 baby!

I just hope they at some point release something I haven't played already. I've played a lot of 360 games so chances are I'll have most of them, I just hope I actually get 1 or 2 out of all this.
that's one of the downsides of ps plus. they love to give you free games that are bigger games that most people have played. i would like if both sony and ms would give us the games that not many people have played.

A good golf game or a good tennis game that we could still play online until the X1 launch wouldn't be the worst thing ever. I had a hell of a  lot of fun playing Tiger Woods 06 with my buddy before the servers shut down. Same thing with an NBA Street game or Fight Night, but I'm pretty sure most of those have been shut down.

I think Forza, Gears, Fable, Halo, a Rare game, Dead Space (maybe with MS new EA relationship), Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Crysis. Some combo of those

I played a ton of multiplayer on that game during the first year I had my xbox 360. I remember I had that game, need for speed most wanted, and call of duty 2 as my launch games.
Hehe yeah that was the only multiplayer game that would work on my satellite connection so I played a crap ton of that game. Bots also helped and yeah I didn't play Perfect Dark before so I wasn't that disappointed. Played Perfect Dark when it hit XBLA and then was like ohhh I see what everyone's talking about.

I just hope they at some point release something I haven't played already. I've played a lot of 360 games so chances are I'll have most of them, I just hope I actually get 1 or 2 out of all this.
that's one of the downsides of ps plus. they love to give you free games that are bigger games that most people have played. i would like if both sony and ms would give us the games that not many people have played.
Nah they'll offer games that made their profit margin and can afford to give out their game. Games that are hidden gems and such need to make up their profit margin as they're still most likely in the red.

Does anyone know if the gold subscription expires if I could still play Fable 3 as a silver member if I already downloaded it or does it work in the same manner of PS Plus that I only have access to it if im a gold member?

Does anyone know if the gold subscription expires if I could still play Fable 3 as a silver member if I already downloaded it or does it work in the same manner of PS Plus that I only have access to it if im a gold member?
Once you get it, you own it, regardless of if you still have gold or not.

Once you get it, you own it, regardless of if you still have gold or not.
Yes if true, +1 to Xbox Live Gold. I've always felt that PS+ free games were just rentals since they go away if your subscription runs out.

I can't wait to get Halo 3 and AC2.. Wonder what the other games will be i have heard rumors of a GTA title being one of them.

You know I almost wouldn't be surprised if "Blue Dragon" or "Lost Odyssey" is one of the titles.  Sure they didn't make their profit margin back, at least "Blue Dragon" didn't over here but I don't think they would have an issue releasing it.

Other titles that might pop out we wouldn't expect:  "Project Sylpheed", "The Last Remnant"(it's juttertastic!!! ;-P  ),  GTA4, Bioshock or Bioshock 2, etc.

There will definitely be one EA game in there, at least I suspect.  "Dead Space" might be in there, it's the most likely one I think as MS would catch hell if one of the sports games was in there.  I would love to see "Grand Slam Tennis 2" there since it's not a bad game surprisingly enough.

I'm betting "Dead Rising" WILL be in the list.  "Kameo" I could see a guarantee as well though the swimming controls are broke to the point they make the game unplayable.  "Gears Of War" will definitely be another, without question.

Hopefully the list doesn't turn out to be most of the game from the $5 GoD sale.

In case anyone hasn't heard Halo 3 and AC2 are as it turns out are not the first two games.  They will just be part of it at some point.  The first game is an XBLA arcade game Defense Grid: The Awakening.  Very disappointing to hear that arcade game are being included.

In case anyone hasn't heard Halo 3 and AC2 are as it turns out are not the first two games. They will just be part of it at some point. The first game is an XBLA arcade game Defense Grid: The Awakening. Very disappointing to hear that arcade game are being included.
De... Defense Grid?

DEFENSE GRID?

DEFENSE GRID?

DEFENSE GRID?

DEFENSE GRID? fuck THAT.

"Hey guys there's free cake in the break room!" "What! I don't want cake, I wanted pizza instead! How dare you give me free food and it's not what I want!" ITT: People complaining about free stuff. When it's free. 

I thought AC2 and H3 were last month?  I have them on disc so I didn't even bother to get them.  Same with Fable 3, never downloaded it. I only plan on getting what I currently don't have.  Hell I think Fable 3 has been free to download a few times.

Yeah while Defense Grid: The Awakening is a great game that is a disappointing announcement. Many gaming news outlets were under the impression that AC2 and Halo 3 were the games for June. Seriously Defense Grid is so old it'd be super cheap anyways.

I thought AC2 and H3 were last month? I have them on disc so I didn't even bother to get them. Same with Fable 3, never downloaded it. I only plan on getting what I currently don't have. Hell I think Fable 3 has been free to download a few times.
Fable 3 has only been free to DL since the second week in June.

Also why wouldn't you just DL the GonD and sell the discs to make money? Unless you have a small HDD.

I rather have it on disc than to have the download.  I know it is odd, but that is how I am.  I'm the same way with my music, movies and books.  

I am greatly pleased that they are giving Defense Grid away for free, it's a great game. I'm just disappointed that I paid 800 points for it a week ago when I could have waited and gotten it for free.

Major Nelson confirmed on twitter that ACII will be the next GwG so that's the 16th of this month then.

✔ @majornelson
I can confirm that Assassin’s Creed II will be the next free title released in the Xbox “Games With Gold” Program

Thanks for all of the replies.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a game. My 250gb hard drive is almost full so I downloaded Fable 3, then deleted it. It still shows I "paid" for it and when I look up Fable 3 on the Marketplace it asks if i want to "Download Again".
You don't have to even download it fully. Just purchase it then cancel the purchase and it will still show up. You may have to delete the temporary file it put on your HDD but that saves time from waiting for the full download.

You don't have to even download it fully. Just purchase it then cancel the purchase and it will still show up. You may have to delete the temporary file it put on your HDD but that saves time from waiting for the full download.
I wish I knew that when Fable III, which I have the disc version, was free. Would have been nice to have the option later on.

Do you need to be a Gold member before the timeframe starts, or can you join mid-way through the timeframe and still download the game?  I ask because my Gold subscription won't arrive until like the 17th, and the AC2 promo will have already started.

Do you need to be a Gold member before the timeframe starts, or can you join mid-way through the timeframe and still download the game? I ask because my Gold subscription won't arrive until like the 17th, and the AC2 promo will have already started.
As long as you are a gold member during it. It's just listed as free on the marketplace for gold members, the same way demos used to be (maybe still are). In short, you should have no problem downloading it later.

bread's done
Back