Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

I'm surprised no one has said any load times for Fallout 3 yet, I'm installing the game to my HD right now, so I may get back to you on that.

[quote name='KaneRobot']If anyone has Burnout Revenge, please test it. I'm thinking about buying it again, my only gripe about it was the load times...if the loading is improved off the HDD I'll pick it up.[/QUOTE]

I have the standard 20gb HDD, so I can only have one game installed at a time. But I'm bored, so I deleted COD:WaW and installed Burnout Revenge.

DVD - 8 sec until intro screen
DVD - 21 sec - Sunshine Keys - Burning Lap forwards
DVD - 20 sec - Motor City - Crash - Cars Attacks

HDD - 5 sec until intro screen
HDD - 10 sec - Sunshine Keys - Burning Lap forwards
HDD - 11 sec - Motor City - Crash - Cars Attacks

So as you can see, it makes quite a big difference! I need to get a bigger hard drive so I can keep all my games installed. I never minded the load times in this game though, because unlike most games, it plays music during the loading screens.

Dead Rising

loading up a saved game from CD: 15 seconds
loading up to get to the roof *from start of game*: 15 seconds

HOLY SHIT

Loading up a saved game took 2.5 SECONDS, and same for coming off the Roof.

TOTAL 100 PERCENT GREEN ON DEAD RISING. WOAH

[quote name='SynGamer']Yes, you can install one disc at a time.[/quote]

You can actually install 2 games at a time, depending on how big they are.

I went back through the bingegamer article posted last year and updated the list here now that we have a set legend in place. Also, i submitted this as a news post over at N4G.com, it's currently pending approval. If anyone is a member there, feel free to 'Approve' it, perhaps we can hit the frontpage today if we get enough attention;

http://n4g.com/gaming/NewsPending-255149.aspx

EDIT: it was approved and made the frontpage. Feel free to comment, the more attention the better.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Dead Rising

loading up a saved game from CD: 15 seconds
loading up to get to the roof *from start of game*: 15 seconds

HOLY SHIT

Loading up a saved game took 2.5 SECONDS, and same for coming off the Roof.

TOTAL 100 PERCENT GREEN ON DEAD RISING. WOAH

You can actually install 2 games at a time, depending on how big they are.[/quote]

I'm getting a conflicting report that says Dead Rising took longer after installed. What size HDD do you have and was your copy the Platinum Hits version or Original? I ask the other person the same thing.

Also the DVD drives involved might make a difference, or the make of hard drive...who knows. It could be different from one system to the next.

oh, and how fragmented the hard drive is could matter too!

[quote name='metalgearray']I have the standard 20gb HDD, so I can only have one game installed at a time. But I'm bored, so I deleted COD:WaW and installed Burnout Revenge.

DVD - 8 sec until intro screen
DVD - 21 sec - Sunshine Keys - Burning Lap forwards
DVD - 20 sec - Motor City - Crash - Cars Attacks

HDD - 5 sec until intro screen
HDD - 10 sec - Sunshine Keys - Burning Lap forwards
HDD - 11 sec - Motor City - Crash - Cars Attacks

So as you can see, it makes quite a big difference! I need to get a bigger hard drive so I can keep all my games installed. I never minded the load times in this game though, because unlike most games, it plays music during the loading screens.[/QUOTE]
You rule. Thanks.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm getting a conflicting report that says Dead Rising took longer after installed. What size HDD do you have and was your copy the Platinum Hits version or Original? I ask the other person the same thing.[/quote]

Mine is the PH version.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Was Burnout Paradise changed to green by mistake when Revenge got changed to green? Paradise should be white.[/quote]
Correct. It's fixed now, thanks :)

EDIT: the user on N4G said he has a 120GB HDD and the PH version as well so i asked him to clear his cache. If 1 or 2 other people with Dead Rising could test the performance (HDD vs DVD) that would be great.

Of note:

In both Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman I've noted that the game freezes at irregular intervals requiring a hard reboot to fix. Installing these games to the hard drive fixed this problem in both cases. I did not try Star Wars.

My cache did not need any cleaning when i ran Dead Rising. it sometimes does take 10 seconds, but usually it takes 2 seconds instead of 15 to load.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']My cache did not need any cleaning when i ran Dead Rising. it sometimes does take 10 seconds, but usually it takes 2 seconds instead of 15 to load.[/quote]
I'm still waiting for a reply from the other guy, hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Trying to see if it makes any difference on the Xbox Live Arcade Complication Disc.

Regular Times for games to boot

Boom Boom Rocket: 11 seconds
Feeding Frenzy: 5.5 seconds
Luxor 2: 5.5 seconds? *was hard to tell*
Pac Man CE: 12.5 seconds
Uno: 4 seconds

on Hard Drive

Boom Boom Rocket: 12 seconds
Luxor 2: 3 seconds
Feeding Frenzy: 6 seconds
Pac Man CE: 9.5 seconds
Uno: 4 seconds

Verdict: WHITE - No difference.

Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath - 3.6GB - WHITE - It took roughly 15 seconds to load a 2 player skirmish game from either HDD or DVD.

Anyone have any problems installing Oblivion GOTY? My last xbox RROD while trying to install for the 5th time, my new one came today and it still won't get past halfway.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Anyone have any problems installing Oblivion GOTY? My last xbox RROD while trying to install for the 5th time, my new one came today and it still won't get past halfway.[/quote]
Sounds like a disc problem.

[quote name='DemonAlcohol']Anyone have any problems installing Oblivion GOTY? My last xbox RROD while trying to install for the 5th time, my new one came today and it still won't get past halfway.[/quote]

I just installed it fine.

Frontlines: Fuel of War - GREEN - Loading the first level from the DVD took 27 seconds. Loading the first level from the HDD took 22 seconds. It barely makes the mark for the color designation.

[quote name='dumlaox']Frontlines: Fuel of War - GREEN - Loading the first level from the DVD took 27 seconds. Loading the first level from the HDD took 22 seconds. It barely makes the mark for the color designation.[/quote]

Thanks, i marked it YELLOW though since the improvement was 5 seconds (Yellow = load times improved by 3-5 seconds.)

Cabela's Trophy Bucks .........................................[3.4 GB]

The load times seem a slight bit better, but not enough to say it's green status.

Smackdown vs RAW 2008

Loads from CD

Load Game from the main menu:
Create an Entrance: 14 seconds
Loading a 1 vs 1 Match: 23 seconds, then 19 seconds

Loads from Hard Drive:
Create an Entrance: 12 seconds
Loading a 1 vs 1 Match: 11 seconds, then 16 seconds

Eh, This one's hard to judge, id only give it a Green since it cuts 1 vs 1 Matches down in Half. other then that, not much of a improvement.

BTW have you been keeping tabs on the posts were getting at GameFAQs?

Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm...[3.4GB] - GREEN

Dashboard to Press Start screen: DVD - 38 seconds, HDD - 26 seconds
New Game screen to intro video: DVD - 28 seconds, HDD - 14 seconds

I also noticed loading between missions (with the game installed) was quicker, i don't have any numbers to back this up but it is noticeable.

NOTE: this game is surprisingly fun.

[quote name='KingDox']It should be interesting once there are 4 or 5 lists like these and cross referance them to see if they all had the same results.[/quote]
That is actually the only list i've seen that has performance results posted...aside from ours here that is. I've done a few searches trying to find others and nothing has come up. Unfortunately, NeoGAF has gotten all the credit for having the best list and that just isn't the case...

[quote name='Richlough']How's your thunder doing ?[/quote]
Ha, it's holding up, thanks for asking. Is the list still not to your liking? :whistle2:(

[quote name='SynGamer']That is actually the only list i've seen that has performance results posted...aside from ours here that is. I've done a few searches trying to find others and nothing has come up. Unfortunately, NeoGAF has gotten all the credit for having the best list and that just isn't the case...[/quote]

your list is the most commonly linked from what i found, cheer up :)

[quote name='LiK']your list is the most commonly linked from what i found, cheer up :)[/quote]
Really? Just about every article i came across, they credited "Sean and the guys at NeoGAF". Either way, i asked a few sites to take a look at our list and review their articles and some of them changed them, so that was cool :)

[quote name='SynGamer']Ha, it's holding up, thanks for asking. Is the list still not to your liking? :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

No . it's great .
I think some other people got the wrong idea .
I appreciate the great job you are doing .

Lips - WHITE - Absolutely no change whatsoever.
Loading from song menu to song itself on DVD: 6 seconds
Loading from song menu to song itself on HDD: 6 seconds

NPPL Championship Paintball 2009 - 5.2GB - YELLOW
from DVD
End of Movie to Main Menu - 8 seconds
Quick Play menu to gameplay - 17 seconds

from HDD
End of Movie to Main Menu - 7 seconds
Quick Play menu to gameplay - 14 seconds

People been reporting updates on GameFAQs if you havent noticed, also someone asked if we could change Green to Blue instead, because hes color blind and cant make out Yellow and Green.

What do you think? i mean your the one in charge. lol

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']People been reporting updates on GameFAQs if you havent noticed, also someone asked if we could change Green to Blue instead, because hes color blind and cant make out Yellow and Green.

What do you think? i mean your the one in charge. lol[/quote]
No problem. Updated legend below, i'll post this over on gamefaqs, see what he says.

Green = load times improved by 6 or more seconds.
Blue = load times improved by 3-5 seconds.
White = load times haven't changed, +/- 1-2 seconds.
Red = load times worse by 3 or more seconds.
Gray = game performance needs to be reported.
* = Japanese game.

Syn im gonna add you on my Xbox Live, anyone else who's a regular at updating this list can add me as well.

That was cool of you to change the color from Yellow to Blue for the color blind dude. Since my Dad also is a bit color blind.

Left 4 Dead - BLUE - Still worth it for noise reduction and for a few extra seconds but not by much.
from the HDD
intro skip to title: 37 seconds
title to No Mercy campaign level 1: 20 seconds

from the DVD
intro skip to title: 42 seconds
title to No Mercy campaign level 1: 24 seconds

Dead or Alive 4 - BLUE - same story as Left 4 Dead.
from the DVD
load first fight in Story mode: 6 seconds

from the HDD
load first fight in Story mode: 3 seconds

Ace Combat 6 - WHITE - The loading was already fast to begin with, though lots of that is maked through the mission briefings and such.
from the DVD
from main menu to Campaign Level 4: 3 seconds

from the HDD
from main menu to Campaign Level 4: 2 seconds

Amped 3 - WHITE - no real change in load times, but any hint of menu lag is gone.
Dashboard to Press Start screen: DVD - 29 seconds, HDD - 28 seconds.

SynGamer, nice job on compiling this list up and maintaining it.

You would think since the release of the NXE, a lot more HDD/DVD difference times would be reported, but that's not the case. Where is Battlefield: Bad Company, Rainbow Six: Vegas 1 & 2, GRAW 1 & 2, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, C&C3 & Red Alert 3, F.E.A.R., Far Cry 2, Lost Planet, Prince of Persia, Force Unleashed, Stranglehold, etc etc etc?

Obviously, if i had those games i would be testing them out myself, but i don't. And i understand as well that a lot of people have probably just not felt like reporting cause it's not a big deal to them. Oh well, over time i guess we'll see more reports.

EDIT: I have a confession, I lied. I do own Rainbow Six: Vegas, i just didn't want to take the time to do the install and record the times. But i realized i had nothing else to do and thought i should do my part to help the list. Here is what i found:

DVD:
Dashboard to Start Screen: 34 seconds
Start Screen to Level (End of Hoover Dam): 26 seconds

HDD:
Dashboard to Start Screen: 28 seconds (6 seconds less)
Start Screen to Level (End of Hoover Dam): 19 seconds (7 seconds less)

Looks like a green!

Star Wars Force unleashed
DVD:
Dashboard to start= 34sec
start to continue: 22sec
level restart: 14sec
HD:
Dashboard to start= 25sec
start to continue: 16sec
level restart=11sec

there was only a 1second difference when starting a game from the load screen from both DVD and HD.
I didn't time it but accessing the force menu, databank, etc seemed quicker from the Hard drive.

FarCry2
DVD:
Dashboard to start=31s
start to continue mission=36s
load while in game=25s

HD:
Dashboard to start=25s
continue game from start screen=33
load while in game=19s

bread's done
Back