Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

DVD:
loading until intro video - 0:20
loading from menu to actual gameplay - 0:12

HDD:
loading until intro video - 0:14
loading from menu to actual gameplay - 0:10

Not really that great.

Now, this has likely already been discussed, but what about games that are improved by installation, but not in the case of load times?

Civ. Revolution was the game that caught my eye... sure, the load times are the same, but the game RUNS much better. It has a lot less stutter and slowdown during gameplay.

Just throwing that out there.

[quote name='007']Now, this has likely already been discussed, but what about games that are improved by installation, but not in the case of load times?

Civ. Revolution was the game that caught my eye... sure, the load times are the same, but the game RUNS much better. It has a lot less stutter and slowdown during gameplay.

Just throwing that out there.[/quote]
In the case/event where load times are the same but performance improves, i will still go off of the load times simply because stuttering/framerate issues, etc. could be the result of many things such as needing to clear your cache, scratches/smudges on the disc, or even the DVD drive itself. I'm currently working on an improved list with load times as well as actual noted performance improvements. you can see the WIP HERE. The list will also be sectioned off alphabetically by using comments and letting users select which letter they want to start looking at first (ex. A - B - C -....X - Y - Z) along with other small improvements.

Splinter Cell Double Agent

DVD:
From dashboard until press start - 0:21
Loading solo mode - 0:23
Loading last save on level China/Shanghai - 0:44

HDD:
From dashboard until press start - 0:14
Loading solo mode - 0:16
Loading last save on level China/Shanghai - 0:36

[quote name='metalgearray']Splinter Cell Double Agent

DVD:
From dashboard until press start - 0:21
Loading solo mode - 0:23
Loading last save on level China/Shanghai - 0:44

HDD:
From dashboard until press start - 0:14
Loading solo mode - 0:16
Loading last save on level China/Shanghai - 0:36[/quote]

Thanks.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Skate 2 = 6.8 GB[/quote]

damn i only have 4.0 gb left. Unless i can delete some demos. Damn. Does it help any? Seems like when using the high camera i got a lot of framerate issues. I hope installing helps this.

I installed Skate 2, and from when you "start career" after it logs into ea and all that jazz, it takes 15 seconds to load the game. Not sure how long it takes when not installed.

Afro Samurai - 3.4GB - BLUE
DVD
Title to Mission 1: 10 seconds
Mission 1 to Mission 2: 13 seconds

HDD
Title to Mission 1: 8 seconds
Mission 1 to Mission 2: 10 seconds

Noticed you didn't have performance updated for three games I know of. The two Scene It? games did not improve much if at all. The same goes for Lost: Via Domus so you can color those games White.

[quote name='MJF V1']Noticed you didn't have performance updated for three games I know of. The two Scene It? games did not improve much if at all. The same goes for Lost: Via Domus so you can color those games White.[/quote]
Could you by chance get some numbers? I'm assuming you did, hence why you said White, but numbers are always nice :)

[quote name='dumlaox']Afro Samurai - 3.4GB - BLUE
DVD
Title to Mission 1: 10 seconds
Mission 1 to Mission 2: 13 seconds

HDD
Title to Mission 1: 8 seconds
Mission 1 to Mission 2: 10 seconds[/quote]

Strongly disagree. After the first mission, when it cuts to a cutscene, on the DVD it's instantaneous. With the HDD, there was a 10-15 second load time. Same between the "You've been wounded" cutscene to "Afro!".. I'll test again, but load times are quicker on the DVD for me.

Hey everyone, I just joined so I could help you guys out with some of the games. I went through some and here's what I have.

Mirrors Edge: You can color this BLUE. It takes about 15 to 16 seconds to load up a level, but installed it's about 10, 11, or 12. I also tried out the long elevator rides, and that dropped from 20 seconds when uninstalled, to about 16 seconds when installed.

Perfect Dark Zero: You can color this GREEN. When uninstalled, it takes about 20 seconds to load up a mission. But when it's installed, it drops to about 12 to 14 seconds.

Devil May Cry 4: You can color this WHITE. The standard loading screens are only about 2 to 3 seconds each. When I installed it, it went down by just one second, so no big difference there.

Kameo Elements of Power: You can color this BLUE. When uninstalled, it took about 10 to 11 seconds to load up a file. And when going into a different area, it took about 8 to 11 seconds to load, depending on the area. While installed, it took about 7 seconds to load a file, and 5 to 7 seconds when going into a different area.

Blue Dragon: You can color this GREEN. When uninstalled, it took about 18 to 19 seconds to load a file, and about 6 to 7 seconds when either entering locations, or exiting to the world map. When I had it installed, I was suprised. It took 10 seconds to load up a file, around 4 seconds when entering locations and exiting to the world map, AND the frame rate was nicely improved, which made battles much smoother without the usual frame rate drops when using a charged attack.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful, thanks everyone for the list so far.

[quote name='Judge Jamster']Hey everyone, I just joined so I could help you guys out with some of the games. I went through some and here's what I have.

Mirrors Edge: You can color this BLUE. It takes about 15 to 16 seconds to load up a level, but installed it's about 10, 11, or 12. I also tried out the long elevator rides, and that dropped from 20 seconds when uninstalled, to about 16 seconds when installed.

Perfect Dark Zero: You can color this GREEN. When uninstalled, it takes about 20 seconds to load up a mission. But when it's installed, it drops to about 12 to 14 seconds.

Devil May Cry 4: You can color this WHITE. The standard loading screens are only about 2 to 3 seconds each. When I installed it, it went down by just one second, so no big difference there.

Kameo Elements of Power: You can color this BLUE. When uninstalled, it took about 10 to 11 seconds to load up a file. And when going into a different area, it took about 8 to 11 seconds to load, depending on the area. While installed, it took about 7 seconds to load a file, and 5 to 7 seconds when going into a different area.

Blue Dragon: You can color this GREEN. When uninstalled, it took about 18 to 19 seconds to load a file, and about 6 to 7 seconds when either entering locations, or exiting to the world map. When I had it installed, I was suprised. It took 10 seconds to load up a file, around 4 seconds when entering locations and exiting to the world map, AND the frame rate was nicely improved, which made battles much smoother without the usual frame rate drops when using a charged attack.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful, thanks everyone for the list so far.[/quote]
Very helpful, thanks :D

[quote name='SynGamer']Could you by chance get some numbers? I'm assuming you did, hence why you said White, but numbers are always nice :)[/quote]

Sorry I didn't have numbers, I kinda played by eye. I will get you official numbers sometime this coming week as well as numbers on a few other games you need info on, my weekend is pretty packed.

Im gonna test out Bully SE for you, im not going to do the same screens over and over though, but ill give you ideas of what go down on loading times. if thats okay.

Like right now, im playing it off the CD, sometimes it takes up to 20 seconds to load on main things, but on smaller stuff *in game loading wise* it takes around 10 seconds, sometimes maybe 12 seconds.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Bully is a Solid BLUE, the game only loads scenes about 2 to 3 seconds faster then before on everything.[/quote]
Thanks.

I also added NBA 2K8 to the list (Not Supported).

[quote name='jaybird']I was curious if it'd work so I tried the Compilation disk that came with my 360 Arcade - it's surprisingly huge at 5.9 GB, but does install.[/quote]

I was surprised and angry at the size as well. They have the 1+GB "Welcome" video on here, plus a bunch of other stupid demos.

Will the Arcade Comp. actually play from the HDD? If so, which way did you do it? By selecting "Play from Hard Drive" for the Arcade disc, or by directly selecting the arcade game you wanted to play from the game list?

My disc was spinning when I was playing the arcade games(after install to HDD and choosing to play the comp disc from HDD).

[quote name='manthing']Did the installation insert all of the demos in your games list like the disc does?[/quote]

If I reinstall the image to HDD (deleted it cause I didn't think "Play from HDD" was working, I will see if the demos still show up, even when the disc isn't in the tray.

I'd put Tales of Vesperia in the blue category. You mainly notice the difference when the logo pops up in the corner in some places and says Now Loading. Without an install, it's usually there for 5-7 seconds. With an install, that screen is there for 2-3.

Quick question. I need to make room to install Fallout 3, so that means deleting some stuff. If I delete some game addon content, lets say CoD4 map pack or GoW2 Flashback maps, would I be able to re-download them later if I need them? IIRC, everything you download is tied to your account?

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Quick question. I need to make room to install Fallout 3, so that means deleting some stuff. If I delete some game addon content, lets say CoD4 map pack or GoW2 Flashback maps, would I be able to re-download them later if I need them? IIRC, everything you download is tied to your account?[/quote]
Yes, your account has a download history where you can go to re-download anything you've purchased before.

Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires

4.0 GB

This game is weird. I can't get a consistent time reading. Sometimes levels load as quickly as 7 seconds from the DVD and 15 from the HDD, but then sometimes they're the same speed, or the HDD loads faster.

Menu loads and the framerate drop when the main menu first loads remain the same.

Alright I tried out Guitar Hero II & you can color that white.

On Disk

Initial Load Time - 2 - 2 1/2 seconds

Song Load-Up - 10 seconds

On Hard Drive

Initial Load - 1 - 1 1/2 seconds

Song Load-Up - 8 seconds

Madden NFL 09 - WHITE - Only a 2 second improvement with a HDD install.

from DVD
from Play Now to match: 14 seconds

from HDD
from Play Now to match: 12 seconds

---

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - WHITE - no change whatsoever

from DVD
main menu to boot camp: 13 seconds

from HDD
main menu to boot camp: 13 seconds

---

Beautiful Katamari - WHITE - Almost no change at all.

from DVD
from profile choice to hub world - 8 seconds
from hub world to Egg School - 6 seconds

from HDD
from profile choice to hub world - 8 seconds
from hub world to Egg School - 5 seconds

---

Can we also get someone to check Afro Samurai again, please? I'm definitely not experiencing the performance Scorch is getting and I stand by my BLUE results because of this. A third party could make this definitive, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SynGamer']Yes, your account has a download history where you can go to re-download anything you've purchased before.[/quote]
Thanks!

Another quick question...

When you install a game, the disk isn't really used correct? Obviously the game has to be in there, but it doesn't spin or anything right? I just got Fallout 3 on goozex, and everything was alright, except there were small, light cracks in the inner ring. I installed it to my 360 without any problems, but I don't want to start playing and then let it freeze half way through the game. I am hoping installing it will pretty much solve my problem.

[quote name='v1et r1ce']Thanks!

Another quick question...

When you install a game, the disk isn't really used correct? Obviously the game has to be in there, but it doesn't spin or anything right? I just got Fallout 3 on goozex, and everything was alright, except there were small, light cracks in the inner ring. I installed it to my 360 without any problems, but I don't want to start playing and then let it freeze half way through the game. I am hoping installing it will pretty much solve my problem.[/quote]
The only time the game disc is accessed (when you have the game installed) is when the game starts up and checks that you actually own the game.

X-Blades - 3.4GB - WHITE - No change whatsoever.

from DVD
1st load to opening movies - 5 seconds
title to movie - 6 seconds

from HDD
1st load to opening movies - 5 seconds
title to movie - 6 seconds

Naruto: Rise of a Ninja - GREEN

From game

Starting game - 11 1/2 seconds
Loading file - 22 seconds

From HD

Starting game - 5 1/2 seconds
Loading file - 22 seconds

I should also mention that the game rarely has any loading screens, save for the start screen, teleporting from an area back to konoha village and when you're fighting another character.

Conan - GREEN - Doesn't seem fast on initial load but loading between levels is definitely faster from HDD than DVD, hence the color.

from DVD
initial load screen: 10 seconds
main menu to level 1: 14 seconds

from HDD
initial load screen: 8 seconds
main menu to level 1: 8 seconds

I think this guide is great guys, I wasnt planning on installing any games because of HDD space (i only have a 20GB HDD) but now I see which ones will actually benefit from it!! I will contribute when I can

also, HOLY CRAP at Blue Dragon!!!

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - WHITE - This game has absolutely zero load times. The only reason you'd ever install it is for no disc spinning.

Actually, mark Bully as White, it makes no difference IMO.

Well.. actually.. i cant tell.. its like.. BORDER LINE. i guess you could leave it Blue, but its barely a 3 second or more difference. :p

Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad - GREEN - None of the improvements are seen until you start loading missions. The only drawback to fast load times between missions is that there's less time to play the loading game screen mini-game.

from DVD
initial load: 7 seconds
title to main menu: 4 seconds
menu to cut scene 1: 2 seconds
cut scene to level 1: 23 seconds

from HDD
initial load: 7 seconds
title to main menu: 4 seconds
menu to cut scene 1: 2 seconds
cut scene to level 1: 14 seconds

Onechanbara is a game that came out about 2 years ago for the Xbox 360 in Japan and finally made it's way to America last week. Basically you play 2 sisters (and eventually a cop) that go out and kill zombies. As good as the game is (and it is pretty good if you like beat em ups or hack & slash titles), the big appeal for most people aside from the zombies and the gore will be the fan service in the game. After all you have one girl who fights zombies with a sword and is wearing a schoolgirl uniform while the other sister fights with swords and is wearing nothing but a bikini, feathered boa, and cowboy hat :)

F.E.A.R. 2 - Blue
From Disc:
Initial load time - 7.7 seconds
Game save load time - 15.1 seconds
From HDD:
Initial load time - 4.3 seconds
Game save load time - 13.0 seconds

im sure this has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but if you delete the install does it also delete the game save data? It just seems a little awkward how to go about deleting it. Im sure it probably doesnt delete everything but i wanted to be safe before i lose 60+ hrs of Fallout.

Deleting the install just deletes the image of the DVD on your HDD. Your game save data and downloadable content stay on your HDD until you delete it yourself.

[quote name='whataboutbob?']im sure this has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but if you delete the install does it also delete the game save data? It just seems a little awkward how to go about deleting it. Im sure it probably doesnt delete everything but i wanted to be safe before i lose 60+ hrs of Fallout.[/quote]
You can either put the game in and hit Y for 'Game Options' and delete the game from HDD there, or you can go to Settings > Memory > and go into the game you want to delete and find the file that's 3+ GB.

Street Fighter 4 - WHITE - No change whatsoever.

from DVD
loading a vs. match - 6 seconds

from HDD
loading a vs. match - 6 seconds

Sorry for the double post but...

Street Fighter 4 - this is actually 5.7GB, not 5.0GB.

MLB Front Office Manager - 6.8GB - WHITE - saves 2 seconds at the most in loading screens.

from DVD
main menu to Create a Manager - 6 seconds

from HDD
main menu to Create a Manager - 4 seconds

[quote name='dumlaox']Sorry for the double post but...

Street Fighter 4 - this is actually 5.7GB, not 5.0GB.

MLB Front Office Manager - 6.8GB - WHITE - saves 2 seconds at the most in loading screens.

from DVD
main menu to Create a Manager - 6 seconds

from HDD
main menu to Create a Manager - 4 seconds[/quote]

Thanks for the correction on Street Fighter IV and the additional game. #340 :)

I'm just putting this out there but since the list is so large, it would be nice to have the list in excel format. I would be nice to filter the data and only pull the games that show improvment or show only the games you own.

[quote name='KingDox']I'm just putting this out there but since the list is so large, it would be nice to have the list in excel format. I would be nice to filter the data and only pull the games that show improvment or show only the games you own.[/quote]
I'm currently working on a way to improve this so that people can skip to a letter and/or organize based on performance. If we had a CAG Wiki that was easily linkable on the CAG site, i'd do that, but we don't so i'm working on something that i may run off my site or...something.

Quake 4 - BLUE - hovers between 2-3 seconds savings per level.

from DVD
main menu to level 1 - 18 seconds
level 1 to level 2 - 13 seconds

from HDD
main menu to level 1 - 15 seconds
level 1 to level 2 - 10

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - [17.3 GB]

Disk 1 - [5.8 GB]
Disk 2 - [6.1 GB]
Disk 3 - [5.4 GB]

As for performance... I don't know. Didn't think to start it before I installed, so I'll leave it to someone else.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 - WHITE - Barely any change in load times.

from DVD
Main Menu to Single Player menu - 11 seconds
Quick Mission - 7 seconds

from HDD
Main Menu to Single Player menu - 10 seconds

---------------

Need For Speed: Pro Street - WHITE - 2 second savings

from DVD
launching Race Day event - 9 seconds

from HDD
launching Race Day event - 7 seconds

------------------------

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - WHITE - No change whatsoever.

from DVD
Main Menu to Single Player menu - 6 seconds

from HDD
Main Menu to Single Player menu - 6 seconds

----------------

Test Drive Unlimited - WHITE - No Change whatsoever.

from DVD
initial load screen - 8 seconds
title to continue game - 5 seconds

from HDD
initial load screen - 8 seconds
title to continue game - 5 seconds

-----------------

Saints Row - BLUE - Barely makes the cut in some load screens.

from DVD
initial load - 7 seconds
new game - 9 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 4 seconds
new game - 6 seconds

-----------------

Ridge Racer 6 - BLUE - 5 second savings when loading races.

from DVD
loading new car - 4 seconds
world explorer to race - 15 seconds

from HDD
loading new car - 2 seconds
world explorer to race - 10 seconds

-----------------

Operation Darkness - BLUE - 3 seconds saving between levels.

from DVD
loading level 1 - 8 seconds

from HDD
loading level 1 - 5 seconds

Sorry again for the double post.

----------------

Need for Speed: Most Wanted - WHITE - Load times are shaved by half but since the game didn't sport long loads to begin with, the rules state it's color is white.

from DVD
initial load - 4 seconds
load career - 4 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 2 seconds
load career - 2 seconds

--------------

NBA Street Homecourt - BLUE - Solid 3 seconds of saving.

from DVD
Pick up Game - 8 seconds

from HDD
Pick up Game - 5 seconds

--------------

Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions - WHITE - Almost no change at all.

from DVD
load mission 4 - 4 seconds

from HDD
load mission 4 - 3 seconds

--------------

Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - WHITE - No change whatsoever.

from DVD
load mission 4 - 13 seconds

from HDD
load mission 4 - 13 seconds

--------------

Lego Batman - BLUE - Load time improvements are seen mostly when loading missions. The Press Start Button prompt appears sooner when loading from HDD.

from DVD
load to Batcave - 5 seconds
load mission - 7 seconds

from HDD
load to Batcave - 4 seconds
load mission - 4 seconds

--------------

Full Auto - BLUE - Loading between tracks is faster by 3 seconds.

from DVD
initial load - 6 seconds
quick race - 9 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 4 seconds
quick race - 6 seconds

---------------

Call of Duty 3 - WHITE - Just like Need for Speed, load times are pretty much halved but since they were uick to begin with, White is the designated color here.

from DVD
initial load - 3 seconds
new game load #1 (menu to movie) - 2 seconds
new game load #2 (movie to game) - 3 seconds

from HDD
initial load - 1 second
new game load #1 (menu to movie) - 1 second
new game load #2 (movie to game) - 2 seconds

bread's done
Back