Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

With the new Preview update. Also maybe worth noting that this was the "Cybertron Edition". They shouldn't be different (its just that the game disc says it, and usually special edition game discs are the same as regular).

Transformers: The Game - 4.5GB - White (maybe Blue, but I'd say no)
DVD
Initial Load - 40 sec
Load Save - 22 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 38 sec
Load Save - 18

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat - Blue (maybe white)
DVD
Initial Load - 39 sec
Continue Campaign - 30 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 32 sec
Continue Campaign - 26 sec

Not sure, but Campaign loading may be semi-hardcoded (my tests were loading the same save though so result differences still valid)

Last edited by a moderator:
X-Blades is now 2.0GB under the new dashboard update. Not sure about time saved, but that's the size at least.

Viva Pinata - Blue (or whte, lol, i can never decide)
DVD
Initial Load - 30 sec
Load Garden - 11-12 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 24 sec
Load Garden - 9 sec

Viva Pinata: Party Animals - Green
DVD
Initial Load - 30 sec
Start Local Game - 16 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 25 sec
Start Local Game - 8 sec

[quote name='PhrostByte']Anyone know how much Fallout 3 used to weigh? I know now it's 5.5 gigs. Was it 6.4 before?[/QUOTE]

From the posts on xbox.com, Fallout 3 was 5.9GB

Also, SynGamer, you forgot to mark Wheelman with the new NXE tag. The file size didn't change (6.4GB) but it's good to know what has & hasn't been checked yet.

Sonic The Hedgehog - Green
DVD
Initial Load - 18 sec
Load Episode - 41 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 13 sec
Load Episode - 31 sec

Shadowrun - Green
DVD
Initial Load - 45 sec
Load Training - 36 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 39 sec
Load Training - 15 sec

EDIT: ok, here are the last 2 i have that the list needs...

Phantasy Star Universe - White
DVD
Initial Load - 29 sec
New Game - 30 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 28 sec
New Game - 27 sec

Enchanted Arms - Green
DVD
Initial Load - 31 sec
New Game - 18 sec

HDD
Initial Load - 21 sec
New Game - 13 sec

Prototype - 6.8GB
Midnight Club: Los Angeles - 5.7GB
Quake 4 - 5.4GB
NBA Street Homecourt - 4.4GB
Naruto: Rise Of A Ninja - 4.4GB
TNA Impact - 6.8GB
H.A.W.X. - 5.9GB

[quote name='SynGamer'][quote name='darklinkinfinite']More updated install sizes from the new Dash update:

Chromehounds: 3.5 GB
Clive Barker's Jericho: 3.1 GB
Devil May Cry 4: 6.5 GB
Eternal Sonata: 6.7 GB
FarCry Instincts: Predator: 4.5 GB
F.E.A.R: 3.8 GB
F.E.A.R Files: 6.2 GB
Frontlines: Fuel of War: 6.3 GB
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2: 6.8 GB (No Change)
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition: 6.8 GB (No Change)
Mirror's Edge: 5.5 GB
N3: Ninety-Nine Nights: 5.4 GB
Perfect Dark Zero: 4.9
Resident Evil 5: 6.7 GB
Sonic the Hedgehog: 5.2 GB
Soul Calibur IV: 4.3 GB
Splinter Cell: Double Agent: 6.7 GB
Star Trek: Legacy: 4.7 GB
Tomb Raider: Anniversary: 3.0 GB
Tomb Raider: Legend: 6.6 GB
Tomb Raider: Underworld: 6.6 GB
Turok: 6.4 GB
Two Worlds: 2.9 GB[/QUOTE]
Are these all N.A. games?[/QUOTE]

Yup, all North American games

[quote name='darklinkinfinite']Tomb Raider Anniversary was mistakenly updated to 3.9 Gigs

the actual size is 3.0 Gigs flat[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KingBroly']This thread got mentioned on this week's episode of the Giant Bombcast.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. The mention starts about 1:35:30

Some games I just installed with the new beta dashboard:

skate - 5.0GB
Skate 2 - 6.3GB
Godfather 2 - 6.5GB
Virtua Tennis 2009 - 3.6GB
Hellboy: The Science of Evil - 4.6GB
Monopoly - 1.8GB
MotoGP 08 - 2.7GB
Need for Speed Undercover - 5.0GB
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 - 6.4GB
Secret Service - 2.8GB
Spiderman Web of Shadows - 5.2GB
Top Spin 3 - 4.0GB

I'm using PAL games. I removed the original sizes from the games as they were conflicting between my console readings and the ones on the list, probably due to PAL vs NTSC discs.
Note: I added a lot more games.

Damn, I was just going to test Skate 2, but I see that its already been done. I'm a little disappointed that it only decreased by 500MB. I had to delete my Skate 2 install in order to download Splosion Man, so I was hoping that it had decreased a considerable amount so I could squeeze it back on there. I guess I really should look at getting a 120GB drive.

So the Xbox 360 Games on Demand have started tricking down for preview users and the first game I see on my dash is Bioshock. The game price is $29.99 but, more importantly for us, the game size is listed as 4.66GB. Considering that the dash rounds up, it's going to be 4.7GB, the same as the DVD install version. Just thought I'd pass this along for those curious.

Yikes, what a hilarious rip off. So I can buy the game for $20, or rent it for $30, and have the joy of having to store it on my teeny tiny-non-backupable hard drive. What a hard choice! :lol: (Or...well everyone should have bought it at $60 two years ago, but you know what I mean...)

[quote name='dumlaox']I'm not exactly following what you're saying here. Please explain.[/QUOTE]

You own it, yes, but you have to activate the games by being online (to my knowledge). I just can't believe they are selling that for $30, that's fucking ridiculous.$19.99...maybe, it's at least be reasonable.

From what I understand, the rules for XBLA games apply here as well, meaning that you have to be online if you happen to play this from a a console different that the one you purchased this from. I still call it ownership rather than a rental like Wolfpup put it.

Not a fan of the Bioshock price, especially since you can get a new copy from any retail store for $20. I am interested in seeing the prices for the other announced games, though, since it's starting to become harder to find some of these titles new (not counting used prices since you're simply praying that everything you get going that route is in pristine condition).

"Rent" may or may not be the technically correct term, but you don't own it since you can't sell it and can't use it without Microsoft's permission (this is true of all the console download services-notably the Wii/DS services are far worse than the 360/PS3 terms, where at least there's some mechanism for moving games!)

I agree with that. At least with the 360 I just have to sign in to Live to play the full game. The PS3 gives me 5 consoles to put the game on before asking me to buy it again (except SingStar stuff and WaHawk which is a one console per purchase deal). The Wii, though is just rough. Even if I do store the game somewhere, if my console dies, all those games must be bought again. Not a fan at all of that system.

I lost all my Wii Virtual Console stuff when my first one died :( Not spending any more money on that.

Geez I wish stuff like Actraiser would get released somewhere else! (I wonder if SNES stuff could come to the Xbox...)

[quote name='dumlaox'](not counting used prices since you're simply praying that everything you get going that route is in pristine condition).[/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the case and manual in that statement? The downloads obviously don't come up with anything so it makes no sense to buy a download instead of a disc only used game.

Secondly if you buy a used game in-store you can easily look and see if it's in good condition.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I lost all my Wii Virtual Console stuff when my first one died :( Not spending any more money on that.

Geez I wish stuff like Actraiser would get released somewhere else! (I wonder if SNES stuff could come to the Xbox...)[/QUOTE]

If you had used your Club Nintendo/My Nintendo account, you would've been able to download them again.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Are you referring to the case and manual in that statement? The downloads obviously don't come up with anything so it makes no sense to buy a download instead of a disc only used game.

Secondly if you buy a used game in-store you can easily look and see if it's in good condition.[/QUOTE]

I'm referencing the disc more than anything else. You CAN look at the game condition in a store but even then you're hoping that the store has something that isn't scratched too badly. Gamestop and Game Crazy have gotten a little better at being more selective with what they take back (and I've personally gotten lucky enough that the clerks at the Gamestop I frequent know what kind of game condition I want in my used product) but the possibility is still there that the only used copy of a game they may have left is one that makes you question whether or not it's playable. If it turns out the copy there is bad, you then have to go to another store to try your luck again. Not exactly a game that some people are willing to play.

Going back to the topic at hand...

Virtua Tennis 3 - 4.1GB
Virtua Fighter 5 - 3.4GB
Velvet Assassin - 4.7GB
Turning Point: Fall Of Liberty - 5.9GB
Rainbow Six: Vegas - 6.6GB
Need For Speed: Carbon - 5.4GB

Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars (NTSC) 6.6 > 5.4

Lord of the Rings, The: The Battle for Middle Earth II (NTSC) 4.4 > 3.5

Superman Returns (NTSC) 3.4 > 2.0

UPDATE:

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Elements (NTSC) 6.1 > No change

i undertstand this is maybe off topic o already discussed (thread is way too large to browse effectively): anyone has tried out HALO3 install with Preview dashboard? Apart from any differences in size, does this somewhat affect the dreaded-worsening loading times?

who knows, maybe dicthing the padding data would make a difference? not very likely though...

[quote name='babaz75']i undertstand this is maybe off topic o already discussed (thread is way too large to browse effectively): anyone has tried out HALO3 install with Preview dashboard? Apart from any differences in size, does this somewhat affect the dreaded-worsening loading times?

who knows, maybe dicthing the padding data would make a difference? not very likely though...[/QUOTE]

I believe dumlaox has retested Halo 3 and it still performs about as bad as it used to.

I'll throw out a few games real quick for the list...

BulletWitch 5.0GB
Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia 3.4GB (No change in size.)
Naruto: The Broken Bond 3.2GB
Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad 2.7GB (2.8GB on list? Not a huge difference, but thought I would throw it out there.)
TMNT 4.8GB (Nobody's rated this game yet, but I actually enjoyed it... 5 Stars!!!)

These are found using the Preview of the Aug 11 Update.

Dance Dance Revolution Universe - 3.0GB
Karaoke Revolution Presents American Idol Encore - 3.7GB
Meet The Robinsons - 5.7GB
MX vs ATV Untamed - 2.8GB

These all come from the Games on Demand section of the Xbox Live Marketplace. Since the sizes of other games there match what we've been finding with disc installs, I'd say their sizes are valid for the list.

Gundam Operation Troy is 1.4GB (Was 3.5GB)
Super Robot Taisen XO is 3.4GB (Was 3.5GB)
Tales of Vesperia(JP) is 5.7GB. (Was 6.0GB)

BRAND NEW HERE....................not to sound stupid, but how do you use this feature? where is it at in the xbox to save the games onto the hard drive?

[quote name='bryman']BRAND NEW HERE....................not to sound stupid, but how do you use this feature? where is it at in the xbox to save the games onto the hard drive?[/QUOTE]

Its on the dash. Highlight the frame that lists the game currently in the drive and hit "Y" (I believe it says Game Options). That should take you to another screen and after it loads should be the last option "Install to Hard Drive".

After installing the new update has anyone noticed that the "Install to Hard Drive" option doesn't appear for them? I was trying to install NCAA 10 and could not get the option to show up. After starting the game and kicking to the dash a couple times it did show up for me though. Very odd thought as I had installed games in the past with no issues.

[quote name='bryman']BRAND NEW HERE....................not to sound stupid, but how do you use this feature? where is it at in the xbox to save the games onto the hard drive?[/QUOTE]

This was added last fall (November I think). From the "page" or "panel" or whatever it's called with that you launch your game from, press 'Y' instead of pressing 'A', and just select the option to install to drive. (You can easily delete the installed file later to free up space-my tiny drive only lets me install a game at a time, which is fine for my purposes).

I'm not 100% sure the button is 'y', but it tells you what the different buttons do on the section you launch the game from.

bread's done
Back