Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']...
After installing the new update has anyone noticed that the "Install to Hard Drive" option doesn't appear for them? I was trying to install NCAA 10 and could not get the option to show up. After starting the game and kicking to the dash a couple times it did show up for me.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that would be crappy :whistle2:/

Hopefully I won't have issues...although I already have my current game installed, so might be a while before I find out.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Its on the dash. Highlight the frame that lists the game currently in the drive and hit "Y" (I believe it says Game Options). That should take you to another screen and after it loads should be the last option "Install to Hard Drive".

[/QUOTE]

thanks a lot for that info ill go try now!:applause::applause::applause:

The option now takes some time to appear, usually about a minute or two. I'm going to assume that this is because it has to find out what it should and shouldn't omit when it does the copy to the HDD. It's a bit of a pain but considering that we save some space with most of the game installs now, I'll take the trade-off.

[quote name='dumlaox']The option now takes some time to appear, usually about a minute or two. I'm going to assume that this is because it has to find out what it should and shouldn't omit when it does the copy to the HDD. It's a bit of a pain but considering that we save some space with most of the game installs now, I'll take the trade-off.[/QUOTE]

That's lame. Sure it may have to do that, but there's no reason it needs to until you actually tell it to install to the drive...so surely that can't be the reason? Either way, that's really lame.

What, I have to just sit on the dash for a few minutes so I can start installing so I can actually play my game?

Big thanks to the OP and all of the other contributors for this wonderful thread.

Quick question: Why hasn't anyone in the past couple of pages noted the loading time differences like before? I realize the new XBL update has decreased the size of installs for most games, but I think it's more important to list the loading time differences first, because if it is unaffected, then the size it takes up is rather moot.

Thanks again...

Most of the entries we're doing have already had their load differences noted. The decrease in file size hasn't affected performance at all, hence the reason why the re-sizing notes haven't noted performance differences. At least all of the tests I've performed with my games have shown me that conclusion. I wouldn't say it's moot, however, since we at least get no disc drive noise out of the whole deal and more space to install more titles as a result.

For anything we don't have new file sizes for and no performance data yet, we should be noting performance differences. Everything I have so far has already been tested so I'm trying to get a few games that haven't been tested yet. Once I get them, I'll be noting performance and size differences myself.

[quote name='dumlaox']Most of the entries we're doing have already had their load differences noted. The decrease in file size hasn't affected performance at all, hence the reason why the re-sizing notes haven't noted performance differences. At least all of the tests I've performed with my games have shown me that conclusion. I wouldn't say it's moot, however, since we at least get no disc drive noise out of the whole deal and more space to install more titles as a result.

For anything we don't have new file sizes for and no performance data yet, we should be noting performance differences. Everything I have so far has already been tested so I'm trying to get a few games that haven't been tested yet. Once I get them, I'll be noting performance and size differences myself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, dumlaox. I didn't realize the games listed had already been reported at an earlier time. I guess the idea of installation being moot without performance differences can be subjective. I had just assumed that nobody would want to use up the precious hard drive space unless there was an increase in performance. I suppose there are those that also like the fact that the disc does not spin just as much or even more.

Thanks...

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Thanks, dumlaox. I didn't realize the games listed had already been reported at an earlier time. I guess the idea of installation being moot without performance differences can be subjective. I had just assumed that nobody would want to use up the precious hard drive space unless there was an increase in performance. I suppose there are those that also like the fact that the disc does not spin just as much or even more.

Thanks...[/QUOTE]

About 100,000x more in my case. Possible increases in performance are fine, but I'd install even if it decreases performance. I would no longer be buying any multi-platform games on the Xbox if they didn't have the install-to-drive option.

Confirmed the size via Games on Demand for Battlefield: Bad Company. It really is 4.9GB in size. Looks like the info I got from the closed xbox.com forums is incorrect. Dammit, this means that I have to check those games all over again.

Check the install thread. It's up to you to decide if you're going to save space or not. If it's a large amount and you play it quite a bit (maybe 300mb+) it'd be worth it.

Saw these didn't have a + next to them so I installed them.

All Pro Football 2k8 3.7 Gigs (-1.3 gigs!)
DW 5 Empires 3.8 (-.2)
Eragon 5.1 (-.3)
SW2 Empires 3.1 (-.3)
Tenchu Z 4.4 (-.1)
NHL 07 3.1 (-.3)
NHL 2k8 6.7 (-.1)

So only big change was All Pro Football 2k8. Still waiting for them to make a 2k10 or whatever.

All these titles are US/NSTC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for clarification, Monsta Mack, I'm assuming that the listing for DW Empires is for Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires, right?

--------------------------------

Conflict: Denied Ops - GREEN - Much faster loading when done from the HDD

From DVD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
New Game - 32 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
New Game - 16 seconds

---------------------------------

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 6.5GB - BLUE - A good 4 seconds savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
New Game - 16 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
New Game - 12 seconds

Turok - GREEN - Better load times if you do it from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 10 seconds
New Game - 15 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
New Game - 7 seconds

--------------------------------

The Idolm@ster: Live For You! - 4.8GB
The Idolm@ster - 4.7GB
Sega Rally (also known as Sega Rally Revo) - 3.6GB

I don't see this listed, so:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary Edition: 3.0GB.

Can't believe how much smaller that makes things! Before this almost everything was 6.7GB. The install to drive option showed up right away for me.

Actually, it was already posted. While the size was known, performance wasn't.

--------------------------

Tomb Raider: Underworld - WHITE - Barely any change.

From DVD
New Game - 16 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 14 seconds

-------------------------------

Tomb Raider: Legend - WHITE - Barely any change.

From DVD
New Game - 12 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 11 seconds

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - WHITE - Barely any change.

From DVD
New Game - 3 seconds
Level 1 - 4 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 3 seconds
Level 1 - 3 seconds

The Spiderwick Chronicles - 1.9GB - WHITE - Barely any change.

From DVD
Title Screen - 4 seconds
New Game - 8 seconds

From HDD
Title Screen - 3 seconds
New Game - 6 seconds

Now for some interesting stats:

-As of today, the rough count of disc based Xbox 360 games around the world is clocking in at 493.
-If SynGamer updates the list without any new game entries submitted now, the list here would contain 421 entries (85% of the total games covered).
-Of those 421 games, 287 have sizes reported for the latest NXE dashboard update (68% of the list here).
-Of those 421 games, 298 have their HDD performance reported (71% of the list here).

Yeah DW5 empires sorry about that. Haven't gotten Dw6 Empires yet.
Raiden Fighter Aces was the same for the US game I believe. Love that one.

Just doing my job, SynGamer. Besides, I was always curious as to how far along the list was :)

---------------------

Tenchu Z - GREEN - Definitely worth installing on the HDD.

From DVD
Main Base Camp - 23 seconds
Mission 1 - 21 seconds

From HDD
Main Base Camp - 10 seconds
Mission 1 - 17 seconds

Hi, Just installed Stoked on the August 09-updated Xbox 360 and I'd like to report the game takes up 2.8 GB now. I did no performance testing.

Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge - 2.5GB - GREEN - Loading is definitely better from the HDD.

From DVD
Title Screen - 6 seconds
Single Race Canada Demon Cup - 24 seconds

From HDD
Title Screen - 3 seconds
Single Race Canada Demon Cup - 16 seconds

Double-Post for notification purposes only. Apologies.

---------------------

Wolfenstein - 6.3GB - BLUE - Decent savings when loading from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
New Game - 10 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
New Game - 7 seconds

Triple-posting but only so SynGamer will know that new information has been posted.

Major League Baseball 2K6 - 6.6GB - BLUE - An average of 4 seconds savings from HDD.

From DVD
Play Ball: Reds @ Dodgers - 20 seconds

From HDD
Play Ball: Reds @ Dodgers - 16 seconds

Major League Baseball 2K7 - 6.8GB - GREEN - Around 6 seconds of better loading from the HDD.

From DVD
Play Ball: Cardinals @ Dodgers - 34 seconds

From HDD
Play Ball: Cardinals @ Dodgers - 28 seconds

N3: Ninety-Nine Nights - BLUE - Decent savings if you load from the HDD.

From DVD
Inphyy @ Ywa-Ue-Uar Forests - 18 seconds

From HDD
Inphyy @ Ywa-Ue-Uar Forests - 14 seconds

StacMaster-S: Not sure why we don't get performance reports more often. I guess people are just too anxious to see the game size and not take care of performance reports at the same time.

-------------------

Dynasty Warriors 6 - 6.7GB

-------------------

Batman: Arkham Asylum - GREEN - Load screens aren't really present here so tests were performed by mashing the A button when cut-scenes began. The time it took for the text to change from Loading to the B button prompt became the standard for these game tests.

From DVD
Cut Scene 1 - 15 seconds
Cut Scene 2 - 5 seconds

From HDD
Cut Scene 1 - 9 seconds
Cut Scene 2 - 5 seconds

-------------------

Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - 4.4GB - GREEN - Significant savings if done from the HDD.

From DVD
Main Menu - 8 seconds
New Game - 12 seconds
Act 1 - 26 seconds

From HDD
Main Menu - 6 seconds
New Game - 8 seconds
Act 1 - 16 seconds

Holy moly, uber list. Thanks for compiling this everyone.
cagus.smile.jpg

I find it HIGHLY hilarious that even if you "install the game to the HDD" you still have to insert the disk.

I also find it hilarious that I can't install one game because I don't have the space for it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I find it HIGHLY hilarious that even if you "install the game to the HDD" you still have to insert the disk.

I also find it hilarious that I can't install one game because I don't have the space for it.[/QUOTE]

That's because you are under the impression that they added the feature for convenience. I think they really just added the feature to try and save our Disc Drives from burning out on us, and for a quieter gaming experience.

[quote name='VipFREAK']I find it HIGHLY hilarious that even if you "install the game to the HDD" you still have to insert the disk.

I also find it hilarious that I can't install one game because I don't have the space for it.[/QUOTE]

If you didn't have to have that disk in there, think of all the money lost on game sales since people would simply GameFly or rent the games, copy, then return for others. It's their form of copy protection. PC Games still do it so I wouldn't be surprised that the 360 goes this route as well.

[quote name='VipFREAK']lol, uh err... my PC is 5 years old... Doubtful it will play anything.[/QUOTE]

A decent rig from that time could still play some of the classic PC games up to maybe Half-Life 2. Unless, of course, your video card is an integrated one. In that case, the casual and flash games would be the only way to go.

And that whole quote 'fixing' thing? That's some juvenile stuff, dude. Not appreciated around here.

------------------------------

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 - 4.1GB - BLUE - 4 seconds of savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Play Now - 12 seconds

From HDD
Play Now - 8 seconds

Because everyone here NEEDS to know:

My Horse & Me 2...................................................[3.3 GB] PAL Version

I noticed no difference at all in the load times. Still takes about 9 seconds per load.

[quote name='VipFREAK']fixed.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda sad that MS has the insert disc still though I can understand where they are coming.

Sad because people burn games to their hard drive (illegally) , are still on live, and have all the benefits we do without putting the disc in and no ones stopping them.

I can understand where he's coming from.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It's kinda sad that MS has the insert disc still though I can understand where they are coming.

Sad because people burn games to their hard drive (illegally) , are still on live, and have all the benefits we do without putting the disc in and no ones stopping them.

I can understand where he's coming from.[/QUOTE]

I know you can still put the burned games on a modded 360 and install them on the HDD but the disc still has to be there. If there is a different way of doing it that would be a bit fascinating, though still sad. But I don't think that Microsoft is sleeping on the whole modded consoles going live thing. I got a feeling that we'll hear about a mass ban campaign come out right when Halo 3 ODST hits or something along those lines. Not only that but the latest games could be coming with the new dashboard. This will result in them being stunted from any Live activity, even if only for a little bit.

NBA Live 06 - 3.4GB - WHITE - No noticeable change from either medium.

From DVD
Virtual Court/Main Menu - 13 seconds
Play Now - 39 seconds

From HDD
Virtual Court/Main Menu - 9 seconds
Play Now - 38 seconds

Spider-Man: Friend Or Foe - 3.6GB - WHITE - Not too much of a change when loading from HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 9 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 7 seconds

bread's done
Back