Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

GREEN LABEL:

Dance Dance Revolution Universe..................[3.0GB]+

SIGNIFICANT decrease to the initial load (10+ seconds), songs went from 10-12 second loads to 3-4. At only 3 GB, this is certainly worth installing.

Guitar Hero 5 - BLUE - 4 seconds of savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Quick Play Guitar: Bullets With Butterfly Wings on Medium - 6 seconds

From HDD
Quick Play Guitar: Bullets With Butterfly Wings on Medium - 2 seconds

NBA Live 07 - 4.6GB - BLUE - A 4 seconds difference between mediums.

From DVD
Main Menu - 18 seconds
Play Now: Heat vs. Mavericks - 38 seconds

From HDD
Main Menu - 16 seconds
Play Now: Heat vs. Mavericks - 34 seconds

[quote name='Monsta Mack']It's kinda sad that MS has the insert disc still though I can understand where they are coming.

Sad because people burn games to their hard drive (illegally) , are still on live, and have all the benefits we do without putting the disc in and no ones stopping them.

I can understand where he's coming from.[/QUOTE]
Couldnt they just give you a license that needs to be updated every few days or something like that. To show that you still own the game.

The Beatles: Rock Band - 4.3GB - WHITE - Not much change between DVD and HDD here.

From DVD
Quick Play: Hello Goodbye (Guitar Medium) - 7 seconds

From HDD
Quick Play: Hello Goodbye (Guitar Medium) - 5 seconds

updating on....

[Just cause.................................5.6 gb
]

loading times improved slightly

i'd say 1 or 2 seconds.

List updated.

[quote name='garc4475']updating on....

[Just cause.................................5.6 gb
]

loading times improved slightly

i'd say 1 or 2 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Someone has already updated the size of Just Cause and it's 5.4GB...

World Series Of Poker 2008 - 4.5GB - BLUE - Only 3 seconds of savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
Title Screen - 10 seconds
Quickplay - 24 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
Title Screen - 7 seconds
Quickplay - 21 seconds

---------------------------

Darkest of Days - 2.5GB - WHITE - No change here.

From DVD
New Game - 11 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 11 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldier of Fortune Payback - Red

Reason? I installed it and the game would freeze my xbox several times when installed. I un installed it and have played it for days and had no issues with it freezing.

It did shave off seconds for single player load time, but the game was even more glitchy with it installed on single player.

Theres a slight chance it could be my 360 but after playing for a good 50+ hours in many other games (AFTER the fact) without freezing It's either a really glitchy game or the multiplayer is glitchy with the install.

Still not bad for a $6 game I suppose.

I noticed this previously on Resident Evil 5 (and someone commented saying the same thing) that load times were already incredibly short (3 to 4 seconds at most) and loading it on the HDD shaved off maybe a second. The original poster for RE5 claimed load times from disc were 15-20 seconds.

Same with Batman: AA. Load times are almost nonexistent and even the B button prompt to skip cutscenes comes up a second after the cutscene starts (only once did the word Loading come up). Played through the entire game without installing it, but it can't improve that much if there's not much to improve on.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Soldier of Fortune Payback - Red

Reason? I installed it and the game would freeze my xbox several times when installed. I un installed it and have played it for days and had no issues with it freezing.

It did shave off seconds for single player load time, but the game was even more glitchy with it installed on single player.

Theres a slight chance it could be my 360 but after playing for a good 50+ hours in many other games (AFTER the fact) without freezing It's either a really glitchy game or the multiplayer is glitchy with the install.

Still not bad for a $6 game I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Raiden IV - 378MB - WHITE - No real change whatsoever in loading.

From DVD
Menu Load - 5 seconds
Xbox 360 Mode - 5 seconds

From HDD
Menu Load - 4 seconds
Xbox 360 Mode - 5 seconds

Avatar The Last Airbender: The Burning Earth (also known as Avatar The Legend Of Aang: The Burning Earth) - 5.1GB - BLUE - A good 5 seconds of savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Title Screen - 6 seconds
New Game - 11 seconds

From HDD
Title Screen - 4 seconds
New Game - 6 seconds

anyone else having trouble with GRID on the hard drive? at one point in the intro where it checks for downloadable content the disc starts spinning and keeps spinning throughout the whole game session.

[quote name='[email protected]']anyone else having trouble with GRID on the hard drive? at one point in the intro where it checks for downloadable content the disc starts spinning and keeps spinning throughout the whole game session.[/QUOTE]

this

How much faster are the loading times for Sonic The Hedgehog (360)? just wondering (for when its on the hard drive)

Selfsurf24 - No idea on that one. It is on my queue, though, so once I get it from Gamefly I'll try to check it out... unless someone beats me to it.

Dr. Pizza - According to the list, Sonic The Hedgehog is in GREEN status. Not sure who found this out or specifics on time, though.

--------------------------

Madden NFL 10 - GREEN - Some great savings if run from the HDD instead of DVD.

From DVD
Play Now - 36 seconds

From HDD
Play Now - 20 seconds

Need For Speed: Shift - 3.8GB - WHITE - No real change when loading between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
Title Screen - 4 seconds
Career: Test Lap - 29 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
Title Screen - 4 seconds
Career: Test Lap - 27 seconds

-----------------------------------

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs - 3.6GB - WHITE - Not much change overall.

From DVD
Initial Load - 10 seconds
New Game - 3 seconds
Lab - 5 seconds
Ice Cream Tundra - 5 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
New Game - 2 seconds
Lab - 4 seconds
Ice Cream Tundra - 3 seconds

---------------------------------

Qubed - 2.9GB - WHITE - There is no difference in load times here for either of the three XBLA titles.

Need For Speed: Carbon - BLUE - A good 4 seconds savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
Title Screen - 4 seconds
Quick Race - 14 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
Title Screen - 4 seconds
Quick Race - 10 seconds

------------------------------

FIFA Street 3 - 2.2GB

Wet - 4.3GB - GREEN -Massive savings if loaded from the HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 22 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 13 seconds

-----------------------------

DiRT 2 - 6.4GB - GREEN - A good 8 seconds saved by using the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
Opening Movie - 12 seconds
Rally Cross London - 21 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Opening Movie - 8 seconds
Rally Cross London - 13 seconds

-----------------------------

Spider-Man: Web Of Shadows - BLUE - A good 3 seconds of savings when done from the HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 9 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 6 seconds

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra - 5.4GB - GREEN - Good savings when loading from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
New Game - 26 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
New Game - 15 seconds

Secret Service - GREEN - Loading is much better if done from the HDD.

From DVD
New Game -16 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 9 seconds

----------------------------------

Asterix At The Olympic Games - 6.0GB - WHITE - Not much difference between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
New Game - 6 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
New Game - 5 seconds

[quote name='lt_homer']anyone know if halo3 odst is like halo where its better to play it off the disc? same with the multiplayer disc?[/QUOTE]

just about to find out :)

Remember this is on two discs, will be checking the multiplayer disc first.

Not sure if this is a good omen or not, the box says 'Optmitzed for HDD' on the back.

I noticed faster loading times from the hard drive, by about 5 seconds or so if I remember correctly. It was late when I played a little of it.

Mixed news on the multiplayer disc: (install size 3.2Gb)
There was no message in the game recommending NOT to install it.

The 360 recognises the disc simply as 'Halo 3'. This (I assume) is so the disc can pick up any DLC, replays etc from your original Halo 3 saves. You seem to be able to install the multiplayer disc, and your existing Halo 3 will run off the DVD.

Load times were all over the place. I was going to test two maps loading times in Forge. Those two maps (Last Resort & Avalanche) loaded roughly 15 seconds faster from the HDD, however the other maps seemed slower in comparison? Probably should've compared one of the mythic maps.

ODST Disc (install size 3.5Gb):

Again, didn't see much of a difference. The loading screen loaded 5 seconds or so faster, but it didn't load my save any faster.

ODST Disc (install size 3.5Gb):

Again, didn't see much of a difference. The loading screen loaded 5 seconds or so faster, but it didn't load my save any faster.

lazygamer - When testing out the Halo 3 Multiplayer disc, did you test in an online or offline match? Just curious on this one.

[quote name='lt_homer']anyone know if halo3 odst is like halo where its better to play it off the disc? same with the multiplayer disc?[/QUOTE]

Better is relative, because I'd never run anything from disc on the 360, it's so loud.

But the only reason Halo 3 loaded faster from disc originally is because it was made prior to the install to drive feature, and cached to the hard drive (which of course doesn't apply to ODST). Installing to the drive meant it had to copy from one part of the drive to another, which is the only reason it could be slower.

I have to wonder if Microsoft could just get rid of the cache area of the drive or something, or let you trick older games like that into thinking there was no hard drive installed, so they'd load faster.

[quote name='dumlaox']lazygamer - When testing out the Halo 3 Multiplayer disc, did you test in an online or offline match? Just curious on this one.[/QUOTE]

I just tested a map load, offline in Forge.

Online would be trickier to time (as your not just waiting on your own 360 to load the map up).

I've since noticed that post-install, when picking a map there's a 10 second load whilst the game loads up my custom matches etc (I have roughly 75 pieces of UGC in Halo 3, your load time on that may vary.)

Both Campaign and Multiplayer certainly install fine, and do not seem to run slower.

lazygamer - Thanks much for that info. Looks like we can give both Halo 3 ODST and Halo 3 Mythic (the multiplayer only disc) both BLUE designations.

Bungie's site said something about not installing the Halo 3 Mythic disc because it would cause the same issues as the original Halo 3 disc. I'll try to find the link.

Edit: Here it is

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=Halo3ODST_FAQ#_11

Q. So, if I’ve got room on my hard drive, I should install this sucker for faster loading?

A. Nope. Halo 3: Mythic is for all intents and purposes, Halo 3. When we built Halo 3, NXE installations were the stuff of the future. As a result, installing Halo 3: Mythic will result in slower load times for you and all your friends (and people you care about will be disappointed in you).

1million - I'm using a 120GB HDD to do my installation and speed tests on.

Also, SynGamer, you seem to have missed my findings from 9/12. I've reposted them below.

World Series Of Poker 2008 - 4.5GB - BLUE - Only 3 seconds of savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
Quickplay - 24 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
Title Screen - 7 seconds
Quickplay - 21 seconds

---------------------------

Darkest of Days - 2.5GB - WHITE - No change here.

From DVD
New Game - 11 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 11 seconds

--------------------------

Shaun White Snowboarding - 4.35GB

-------------------------

Watchmen: The End Is Nigh (Parts 1 and 2) - RED - Technically there's no change but for some reason the game insists on running from the disc even if you installed the game. For that reason I'm calling it RED.

From DVD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
Watchmen Part 1 - 7 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
Watchmen Part 1 - 7 seconds

----------------------------------

F.E.A.R. - BLUE - A good 4 seconds of better loading from HDD.

From DVD
Instant Action - 11 seconds

From HDD
Instant Action - 7 seconds

-------------------

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - GREEN - Load times are cut in half if instaled to HDD.

From DVD
Level 1 - 46 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Level 1 - 25 seconds

------------------

Rise Of The Argonauts - 6.6GB - GREEN - Significant savings if loading from HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 31 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 1 second
New Game - 11 seconds

------------------

Section 8 - 2.2GB - GREEN - Good load times from the HDD.

From DVD
Instant Action - 12 seconds

From HDD
Instant Action - 7 seconds

-------------------

Mini Ninjas - 5.6GB - BLUE - 5 seconds of savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
New Game - 13 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
New Game - 8 seconds

-------------------

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds Of Prey - 3.5GB - GREEN - Significant savings when loading from HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 15 seconds
Tutorial - 17 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 11 seconds
Tutorial - 11 seconds

-------------------

Heroes Over Europe - 4.5GB - GREEN - Loading is much better from the HDD.

From DVD
Level 1 Campaign - 33 seconds

From HDD
Level 1 Campaign - 9 seconds

-------------------

Cars: Mater-National - 2.5GB - GREEN - Much better loads from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 20 seconds
Arcade - 22 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 14 seconds
Arcade - 11 seconds

--------------------

NHL 10 - 4.9GB - BLUE - Only 3 seconds better if done from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
Tutorial - 18 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
Tutorial - 15 seconds

--------------------

NHL 2K10 - 5.7GB - WHITE - No real diference between mediums.

From DVD
Quick Game - 16 seconds

From HDD
Quick Game - 16 seconds

-------------------

Pinbal Hall Of Fame: The Wiliams Collection - 1.1GB - WHITE - Not much difference between DVD and HDD loading.

From DVD
Title Screen - 6 seconds
Medieval Madness - 4 seconds

From HDD
Title Screen - 6 seconds
Medieval Madness - 3 seconds

Ugh, yeah I just installed Watchmen...and it's STILL running from the disc even though it's instaled. I guess that has something to do with the "weirdness" of it being two "arcade" games put on disc. Seems to run fine though.

ALso annoyed at the achievement list...everything's uneven numbers. Not sure I want to muck up my score. Oh well, the demo was fun, and even the title screen here looks cool.

Probably would have bought the Playstation version had I known, but I don't need a copy of the film.

Forza Motorsport 3 - 8.7GB (Disc 1 = 6.8GB, Disc 2 = 1.9GB) - GREEN - Excellent load times from HDD instead of DVD.

From DVD
Quick Race: Amalfi Coast - 41 seconds

From HDD
Quick Race: Amalfi Coast - 31 seconds

A few notes on this:

-I'm currently reviewing the game for WorthPlaying.com in case you're wondering why this info is here this early before the game's official street date. The copy I have is the same one that will be on retail shelves, disc art included. The only differences are that my copy was sent in paper sleeves instead of the usual plastic DVD case and I don't get the free DLC codes Turn 10 announced earlier this week.

-This is a 2 disc game. However, only Disc 1 is used to play the game. When booted up for the first time, the game will ask if you want to install the contents of Disc 2 to the HDD. While it isn't mandatory to do so, you will miss out on three tracks and several cars by skipping the installation.

Guitar Hero: Van Halen - 4.5GB - BLUE - Despite a longer initial load, the game averages 3 seconds faster from HDD compared to DVD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 17 seconds
Main Menu - 5 seconds
Quick Play: Weezer: Dope Nose - 15 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 20 seconds
Main Menu - 3 seconds
Quick Play: Weezer: Dope Nose - 12 seconds

I noticed with Test Drive Unlimited the draw distance seemed to be improved? Could be just me, but when I played Dynasty Warriors pop in was a bit less as I stated awhile back. Maybe the same for TDU?

With so much disc accessing (Its a MMORG) I'd still highly recommend everyone to install it.

Iiiiiiinteresting if that's really the case about draw distance! I mean...hmm....part of that would be restricted by the Xbox's processing hardware, but part could be how fast it can move stuff into RAM too. Weird if the developers' engine actually can actually increase the draw distance if it can get a faster transfer rate-I'd think that would be pre-set. But I'm not complaining!

Just an update on sizes after the August update

WWE Smackdown vs RAW 07 - 6.5 GB
WWE Smackdown vs RAW 08 - 5.6 GB (a big 0.1 GB savings)

Edit: Procrasinating from studying, went back and tested the loading times of two of the few games I had of which there was no loading times for yet.

------------------------------------

KI American Idol Encore:

Install: 3.7 GB

Disc Loading:

Initial Load: 27 seconds
Start Screen: 2 seconds
Quickplay Bohemian Rhapsody: 19 seconds
Quickplay Time of The Season: 18 seconds

HDD Loading:

Initial Load: 20 seconds
Start Screen: 0.5 seconds
Quickplay Bohemian Rhapsody: 8 seconds
Quickplay Time of the Season: 7 seconds

Verdict: Green for sure

----------------------------------------

KI American Idol Encore 2

Install: 4.2 GB

Disc Loading:

Initial Load: 23 seconds
Start Screen: 3 seconds
Quickplay Imagine: 20 seconds
Quickplay Apologize: 19 seconds

HDD Loading:

Initial Load: 23 seconds
Start Screen: 2 seconds
Quickplay Imagine: 12 seconds
Quickplay Apologize: 10 seconds

Verdict: Green, although initial loading is the same, songs load on average 8-10 seconds faster it seems

Hail To The Chimp - 3.5GB - WHITE - No change whatsoever when loading between mediums.

From DVD
Vs. Mode - 3 seconds
Vs. Mode Exit - 8 seconds

From HDD
Vs. Mode - 3
Vs. Mode Exit - 8 seconds

Just to give an update for Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2. The file size is still the same. Installing does nothing to speed up the load times. Also, for some reason, pop-up is also worse when installing it on the HDD too.

Brutal Legend!
Install - 5.9 GB
Haven't tested load times with numbers yet, but generally it seems to be going slightly faster. The load times weren't too horrible to begin with. Overall, a slight improvement.

bread's done
Back