Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

[quote name='gar3']Hasbro Family Game Night - Not Supported.[/QUOTE]

That's lame. So it's Family Game Night: Blender Edition™

Here's something of note that I haven't seen mentioned:

If you take your hard drive and put it on another console (from say a RRoD incident involving your previous console) and try to play the game off the HDD with the disc in the tray it plays the game from the tray and not the HDD. In order to play it from the HDD, you have to delete it and re-install.

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam - 4.1GB - WHITE - No change whatsoever.

From DVD
Initial Load - 19 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 19 seconds

Double-posting for time stamp purposes only.

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 209 - 3.2GB - WHITE - No change between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
Career Russia - 16 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Career Russia - 16 seconds

--------------------

NBA Live 09 - 6.1GB

Last edited by a moderator:
Karaoke Revolution - 4.3GB - BLUE - Pretty good load times if going from HDD rather than DVD. Keep in mind that this is for the new Karaoke Revolution, not the American Idol branded ones released before.

From DVD
Quick Play: American Boy - 20 seconds

From HDD
Quick Play: American Boy - 15 seconds

MX Vs. ATV Reflex - 5.7GB - BLUE - A good 5 seconds difference between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
Arcade Free Ride: Hillsgrove - 13 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
Arcade Free Ride: Hillsgrove - 8 seconds

Terminator Salvation is now 6.2 GB (savings of 0.1 GB! AMAZING!)

Wall-E is now 4.7 (over a 1 GB drop, the biggest drop I've personally found)

Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Danger - 1.9GB - BLUE - Not to much of a difference between mediums.

From DVD
Main Menu - 31 seconds
New Game - 30 seconds

From HDD
Main Menu - 28 seconds
New Game - 27 seconds

[quote name='SynGamer']List updated. Closing in on 500.

EDIT: We're the second most viewed thread on the 360 forum here :D[/QUOTE]

Great job on updating the OP.:applause: It's been very handy for a new xbox owner.

Quick question how do you guys recommend one is to accurately come up with the times for the load times? Stopwatch? Count in my head? Rough estimate? This would be a thread I would be interested in participating in.

I do a head count, personally. I don't think there's been one true way everyone has been doing it but if you have a method, stick with it for consistency's sake. Also, I tend to look for the first few instances of loading screens before an install and afterwards before playing the game proper. It saves me from having to figure a good place to start counts all of the time.

So, 27 more titles until we reach the mystical 500, eh? Sounds like a good challenge to me. Here's a few from the Games on Demand service:

Diario: Rebirth Moon Legend - 2.0GB - This is a JP game.
Far East Of Eden: Ziria - 5.9GB - This is a JP game.

Just got Infernal: Hell's Vengeance through Gamefly today. I'll report back later on those findings.

Infernal: Hell's Vengeance - 2.9GB - WHITE - No real difference from either source.

From DVD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
New Game - 38 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
New Game - 38 seconds

For time stamp purposes...

Winter Sports 2: The Next Challenge - 3.2GB - WHITE - Too little change to make HDD installation worthwhile.

From DVD
Snowboard Halfpipe - 11 seconds

From HDD
Snowboard Halfpipe - 9 seconds

------------------------

Absolute: Blazing Infinity - 2.1GB - This data was taken from the Japanese XBL Games On Demand entry.

Konami Classics Vol. 1 is 361MB....

Unfortunately it's one of those games that seems to load off disc even when installed to the hard drive, or at least the drive stays spun up.

Spongebob's Truth Or Square - 3.8GB - WHITE - No change whatsoever between HDD and DVD loading.

From DVD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
Level 1 - 6 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
Level 1 - 6 seconds

[quote name='js1']Great job on updating the OP.:applause: It's been very handy for a new xbox owner.

Quick question how do you guys recommend one is to accurately come up with the times for the load times? Stopwatch? Count in my head? Rough estimate? This would be a thread I would be interested in participating in.[/QUOTE]

I use my iPod's stop watch. Never seen it skip or anything. I figure if there is a discrepancy it would be less then 1 second, not like we are determining gold medals in the Olympics or anything ;).

I bet there are some variations based on how fragmented people's drives are, and the drive's speeds too. Be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference between a 20 and a 250 (probably is), or a new 250 and a 120 that's been used for a long time, that sort of thing.

Still wish these things had disk tools built in!

NHL 2K6 - 6.7GB - GREEN - Much better loading when done from the HDD.

From DVD
Quick Game - 26 seconds

From HDD
Quick Game - 17 seconds

Just noticed that WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 is a smaller file size now. It's now 6.5GB, a savings of 0.1GB. There's no noticeable difference between the load times mentioned.

Backyard Football '10 - 870MB - WHITE - Not much difference between HDD and DVD loading.

From DVD
Initial Load - 7 seconds
Play Game - 7 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Play Game - 5 seconds

[quote name='Dezuria']Any reports on Assassin's Creed II speeds?[/QUOTE]

If they kept the loading similar to AC then you'll notice close to 10+ when loading the cities and big areas.

Well normally you'd just install whatever game you're currently playing. It'll make the system MUCH MUCH quieter, often make load times less (and sometimes even improve performance), and as a side benefit it'll probably even help your optical drive last longer. There's no reason not to install your current game if it supports it.

Damnation - 6.2GB

It seems to be lower than the 6.8GB listed on the first page. I assume no one has tried it since they lowered install sizes. Oh, and a tip... never do try it, it really is as bad as everyone says.

Darksiders - 6.4GB - WHITE - No real difference between HDD and DVD loading.

From DVD
New Game - 24 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 23 seconds

Brave: A Warrior's Tale - 2.1GB - Information gathered from Xbox Live Games on Demand service.
A-Train HX - 567MB - Information gathered from Japanese Xbox Live Games on Demand service.

Left 4 Dead 2 - 4.4GB Will report the load time later today.

I can also vouch that Warriors Orochi 2's load time is about 4-5 seconds faster when installed.

[quote name='Sharp Katana']Left 4 Dead 2 - 4.4GB Will report the load time later today.

I can also vouch that Warriors Orochi 2's load time is about 4-5 seconds faster when installed.[/QUOTE]

Definitely appreciated for the Warriors Orichi 2 data. However, Frostburn already chronicled both size and performance on Left 4 Dead 2 on December 29th (pg. 53). Sorry for the bubble burst.

BTW, wonder when SynGamer is going to update. It's been about a month and I'm curious to see how close we are to 500 games.

[quote name='dumlaox']Definitely appreciated for the Warriors Orichi 2 data. However, Frostburn already chronicled both size and performance on Left 4 Dead 2 on December 29th (pg. 53). Sorry for the bubble burst.

BTW, wonder when SynGamer is going to update. It's been about a month and I'm curious to see how close we are to 500 games.[/QUOTE]

no worries, I just thought that no one reported it since the OP hasn't been updated for quite some time.

Thankfully I have a 120GB HDD. And that I don't have a hella ton of games. I'll be ok for a while. I do still have my backup 20 gigger too.

Anyone taking requests? I want to know how big Soul Calibur IV is? It's not on the list yet.

I haven't checked this thread in a long time and when I saw that Crackdown is now a supported game, I almost leapt out of my chair with joy. I have been waiting for that (and I'm sure a lot of other people have too) since they first rolled the install feature out. Wish I would have checked this thread earlier!

[quote name='GamerLina']Thankfully I have a 120GB HDD. And that I don't have a hella ton of games. I'll be ok for a while. I do still have my backup 20 gigger too.

Anyone taking requests? I want to know how big Soul Calibur IV is? It's not on the list yet.[/QUOTE]

Um, Soul Calibur IV is on the list. 4.3GB with a blue performance rating.

Vancouver 2010 - 2.9GB - GREEN - Better loading from the HDD than DVD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
Training: Men's Downhill - 19 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
Training: Men's Downhill - 13 seconds

Some reviews I read recommended installing because the load times off the disc could be really long, but I haven't tested it at all.

The History Channel Civil War: Secret Missions - 3.3GB - BLUE - 5 second difference between DVD and HDD loading.

From DVD
Dawn At Chancellorsville - 13 seconds

From HDD
Dawn At Chancellorsville - 8 seconds

-------

Apocalypse: Desire Next - 4.1GB - This information taken from the Japanese Xbox Live Marketplace.

-------

With all of these additions that should bring the list to 492 games. It'll be interesting to see what game takes the honor of being #500 for the list.

bread's done
Back