Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

[quote name='tominater12']So guys I just got a 250gb hard drive so I will be updating on all my games including the halo 3 multiplayer disc with odst that are not on the list very soon.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the multiplayer Disc for Halo 3 is on the list. It's disc 2 of Halo 3: ODST. Anything else you can get your hands on is very much appreciated though.

With the new update hitting this morning, I'll try and do some quick comparison tests on some already listed games for USB installation. I'm going to guess it'll be slower than HDD but faster than DVD but there's only one way to find out for sure.

Record of Argharest War: Reappearance - 6.8GB
Clannad - 6.8GB

Both come from the Japanese Xbox Live Games on Demand service.

And it looks like someone else will have to take up the task of finding out where USB lies in terms of access speed. Apparently my 8GB flash drive isn't good enough for the 360 fail rate test and since I'm not in the market for a new drive, I can't conduct it. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we finally have a solution to disc noise while playing Halo 3. I timed how long it took to be able to start game after selecting Crow's Nest.

For this test I used a Sandisk microSD Ultra 8GB with a USB reader. This card maxes out at around 17MB/s read speed. The 360 has a 12x DVD drive, capable of a maximum read rate of 15.85 MB/s, so you might get even better results if you have a very fast USB drive/card.

From DVD-
94s
92s
90s

From USB-
88s
86s
86s

From HDD-
168s
171s
164s

These results show that, when installed on USB, Halo 3 is no longer trying to simultaneously read and write to the HDD while loading.

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest - 5.4GB - GREEN

From DVD
The War of The Ring: Mines of Moria - 27 seconds

From HDD
The War of The Ring: Mines of Moria - 19 seconds

Samurai Shodown Sen - 5.5GB - WHITE - NO real difference between DVD and HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
Versus Mode - 13 seconds (3 load sections before actual fight)

From HDD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
Versus Mode - 12 seconds

How to Train Your Dragon - 4.1GB - BLUE - A good 4 second difference between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
Arcade - 19 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
Arcade - 15 seconds

Splinter Cell Conviction - 6.8GB - Green

From DVD
Story > Merchant's Street Market - 34s
Deniable Ops > Hunter > St. Petersburg Banya - 45s

From HDD
Story > Merchant's Street Market - 27s
Deniable Ops > Hunter > St. Petersburg Banya - 40s

Don King presents Prizefighter - 6.4GB - GREEN -Much better from HDD than DVD.

From DVD
Exhibition - 21 seconds

From HDD
Exhibition - 16 seconds

Super Street Fighter IV - 5.9GB - BLUE - Loading time count started at the beginning of the pre-fight screen.

From DVD
Versus - 16 seconds

From HDD
Versus - 11 seconds

Rogue Warrior - 2.2GB - GREEN - Significant time saved if loading from HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 9 seconds
New Game - 21 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 8 seconds
New Game - 15 seconds

Dead to Rights: Retribution - 6.0GB - GREEN

From DVD
Initial Load - 6 seconds
New Game: Prologue - 31 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
New Game: Prologue - 17 seconds

Got a new one.

Hot Wheels: Beat That - 860MB

White - Hardly any difference at all. Not surprising considering how small it is.

[quote name='dumlaox']Actually, the multiplayer Disc for Halo 3 is on the list. It's disc 2 of Halo 3: ODST. Anything else you can get your hands on is very much appreciated though.

With the new update hitting this morning, I'll try and do some quick comparison tests on some already listed games for USB installation. I'm going to guess it'll be slower than HDD but faster than DVD but there's only one way to find out for sure.[/QUOTE]

donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnt. bungie says not to download halo 3/halo odst to the hard drive, it will only slow it down

Bungie says yes to Halo: ODST (Disc 1) installation

Q. I’ve got room on my hard drive, should I install this sucker?

A. Yup. We optimized ODST’s campaign and Firefight for installation. Just like all NXE installations, you’ll need to keep your copy in the drive to play.
and...

No to Halo: Mythic (Disc 2) installation

Q. So, if I’ve got room on my hard drive, I should install this sucker for faster loading?

A. Nope. Halo 3: Mythic is for all intents and purposes, Halo 3. When we built Halo 3, NXE installations were the stuff of the future. As a result, installing Halo 3: Mythic will result in slower load times for you and all your friends (and people you care about will be disappointed in you).

Final Fantasy XIII's loading time is improved. It finished loading halfway thru the summary dialog instead of waiting for the whole thing. Tried to get the loading screen in game by going in and out of the menu fast and never got one.

for some reason, halo odst campaign was a green and huge improvment over the disc loading. it took a couple MINUTES for me to load campaign or firefight while it takes seconds now.

Iron Man 2 - 6.0GB - WHITE - No real change.

From DVD
Initial Load - 12 seconds
New Game - 11 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 11 seconds
New Game - 10 seconds

[quote name='Ecmslee']yahoosale14 and LHG Straxus, your advice is well-intentioned but out of date since the spring update. Here are two tests with evidence that shows that is possible to install Halo 3 and Halo 3 Mythic without detriment, provided that the game is installed in a specific manner-
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6689935&postcount=1
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7052775&postcount=1144[/QUOTE]

Ahh, you're right. I completely forgot about reading that preceding my previous post right here @CAG. Did I do that right?

Thanks, Ecmslee.

One of the rare games that has not been updated for the latest patch,

Jumper - 2.2 GB (down from 3.4 GB).

That probably has to do with the fact that it's a horrible game based on a horrible movie that was released over 2 years ago... hopefully no one feels bad that I am not taking the time to see the difference in load times.

[quote name='Corizzle']One of the rare games that has not been updated for the latest patch,

Jumper - 2.2 GB (down from 3.4 GB).

That probably has to do with the fact that it's a horrible game based on a horrible movie[/quote]

Whoa whoa whoa. Say what you will about the game-I assume it's just licensed garbage, but the movie was awesome! Definitely liked it more than anything I've seen so far this year, and one of my favorites from a couple of years back. I honestly have no idea who anyone couldn't love it, but I love superhero stuff.

Green Day: Rock Band - 3.4GB - WHITE - No difference whatsoever.

From DVD
Quickplay: American Idiot - 7 seconds

From HDD
Quickplay: American Idiot - 7 seconds

[quote name='Wolfpup']Whoa whoa whoa. Say what you will about the game-I assume it's just licensed garbage, but the movie was awesome! Definitely liked it more than anything I've seen so far this year, and one of my favorites from a couple of years back. I honestly have no idea who anyone couldn't love it, but I love superhero stuff.[/QUOTE]

People couldn't love it because it was dumb as a rock. I saw it in theaters, my god what a waste of money.

UFC 2010 Undisputed - 6.2GB - BLUE - Between 3-4 seconds difference when loading from HDD.

From DVD
Exhibition - 17 seconds
Tale of the Tape - 8 seconds

From HDD
Exhibition - 13 seconds
Tale of the Tape - 5 seconds

Mass Effect 2 should be under Green. The load times vary by where you are in the game. Loading a save file without the install, it took about 25 seconds. With the install, loading the same save file, it took about 17 seconds.

Thrillville: Off the Rails - White

Maybe a 1 second load time boost on some mini games if you're lucky. Otherwise it's not that noticeable.

Cars: Race-O-Rama - 2.7GB - GREEN - Significant loading improvement in races.

From DVD
First Boot - 7 seconds
Title Screen - 11 seconds
Character Select - 5 seconds
Track Start - 41 seconds

From HDD
First Boot - 4 seconds
Title Screen - 6 seconds
Character Select - 4 seconds
Track Start - 22 seconds

-----------------

Battlestations: Midway - 4.8GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand
Medal of Honor: Airborne - 4.7GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand
Shrek the Third - 6.0GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand
Supreme Commander - 3.6GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand
Absolute: Blazing Infinity - 2.1GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand (Japan)
11eyes: CrossOver - 4.8GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand (Japan)
Convenience Store, 200X - 3.0GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand (Japan)
Bladestorm: The Thousand Years War - 3.9GB
Mamonoro - 1.4GB - Data from Xbox Marketplace Games on Demand (Japan)

Bakugan: Battle Brawlers - 3.1GB - BLUE

From DVD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
Battle Arena - 18 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
Battle Arena - 15 seconds

----------------

Fairytale Fights - 4.8GB - GREEN

From DVD
Arena Mode - 14 seconds