Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

MX Vs. ATV: Untamed - WHITE - No change whatsoever between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
Quick Event: Supermoto - 42 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 4 seconds
Quick Event: Supermoto - 42 seconds

Does anyone know why a legit 360 will no longer install games to the HDD?

I'm really starting to get pissed off. I might have to call MS, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a recent update that might break the installation capability. Every disc comes up as "dirty." I even opened up new games to try them out, and none of the games will install. I deleted old installations, and I'm not able to install those games again.

opportunity777 - I'd call Microsoft on that one. As far as I know, only banned systems are supposed to have trouble installing games to the HDD. Unless that same HDD touched a banned console, it should be working fine.

------------------

Shooting Love, 200X - 3.0GB - This information was taken from the Japanese Games on Demand service.

Just started playing Lost Odyssey and the load time per fight was way too long. Did an install and now its much more playable, 8+ per fight was just too much.

[quote name='opportunity777']Does anyone know why a legit 360 will no longer install games to the HDD?

I'm really starting to get pissed off. I might have to call MS, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a recent update that might break the installation capability. Every disc comes up as "dirty." I even opened up new games to try them out, and none of the games will install. I deleted old installations, and I'm not able to install those games again.[/QUOTE]

Whoa, that sucks. Keep us posted. My brand new Jasper did a disc read error the very first time I stuck a disc in it (not a promising start), and I think one time the install option was wonky.

[quote name='Gbear09']Just started playing Lost Odyssey and the load time per fight was way too long. Did an install and now its much more playable, 8+ per fight was just too much.[/QUOTE]

Dang, had I known they were going to introduce this, I sooooo would have waited for the ability to install it. The fun I had with the game was definitely hurt by how loud the system was. Likewise I wouldn't have been complaining with faster loads! I'm jealous! :whistle2:D

So is 6.4GB the most an Xbox disc can hold or something? (Or probably like that plus a little extra for random stuff like system updates?)

Wolfpup - I'd put the max size at 6.8 considering that's what some of the installed game sizes are. The rest of the disc is for security stuff, dash updates, etc.

With Bioshock 2 that puts the list at 496. If no one puts up install load times by tonight I'll take a crack at it along with some other games

Scene it? Bright Lights Big Screen - 5.1GB - GREEN - Significant differences between mediums.

From DVD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
New Game - 10 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
New Game - 4 seconds

----------------

The Saboteur - 5.3GB - BLUE - A good improvement when done on HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
New Game - 14 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 2 seconds
New Game - 10 seconds

-----------------

Dark Void - 5.2GB - BLUE - A nice improvement when loading from HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 10 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 6 seconds

-----------------

Dante's Inferno - 5.5GB - Significant improvements when loading from HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 15 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 8 seconds

----------------

Bioshock 2 - BLUE - An average of 4 seconds difference between mediums.

From DVD
New Game - 26 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 22 seconds

----------------

And there we go. If the list is updated after this post it will contain 500 games. This is far from being absolute not because of upcoming titles but because there are still old games not listed here yet as well as games that need new size counts and games that need performance times. Still, 500 is more than what people would have expected from a community run effort. Thanks to all those that helped make this possible, especially SynGamer and co. for coming up with the idea and maintaining the list for this long. Now we just have to keep pushing forward until every game is here and accounted for.

[quote name='dumlaox']Wolfpup - I'd put the max size at 6.8 considering that's what some of the installed game sizes are. The rest of the disc is for security stuff, dash updates, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that makes sense...but does it really take up so much space? I mean they should have roughly 9GB, right? I could see a few hundred MB for updates and stuff, but I've been surprised not to see anything over 6.xGB.

It's closer to 8GB actually. a single-layer DVD may say 4.7GB capacity but the most you can burn on one would be 4.38GB. A dual-layer DVD would theoretically be 9.4GB but formatting and translation and such actually puts it at closer to 8GB. I'm guessing the rest would be for the security, dash updates, and video telling people who put the game into a standard DVD player or other system that this is a Xbox 360 game and it'll only play there.

I'm sure this has been covered but I"m late to the party...is Halo 3 ODST and the multiplayer disk effected like the Halo 3 was? The OP shows a improvement in loading times, but that seems odd considering the way it worked with Halo 3. Did they do something different this time around?

The Halo 3 multiplayer disc and ODST work fine with HDD loading. This time around Bungie didn't just optimize the game for disc play so HDD installing won't hurt the game.

Aliens Vs. Predator - WHITE - No change whatsoever between DVD and HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Title Screen - 4 seconds
Single Player Survivor - 15 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Title Screen - 4 seconds
Single Player Survivor - 15 seconds

World Championship Poker: All In - 1.2GB - BLUE - A good 5 seconds savings from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 5 seconds
Quickplay - 9 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 3 seconds
Quickplay - 4 seconds

yahoosale14: According to tominater12 (post #1037) he experienced a 2-5 second difference between DVD load and HDD load, placing it in BLUE. Don't know why this wasn't reflected on the list yet. Speaking of which, we need an update now that we're well past the 500 game mark.

nnthomas: How is Deadly Premonition? I was thinking of checking it out but the reviews and some of the YouTube vids made it seem less than mediocre.

--------------

Beowulf - 5.3GB - GREEN - A vast improvement if done from HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 22 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 13 seconds

List updated. 503 games, awesome job everyone. Side note @dumlaox; I got Band Hero as our 500th game. Did you by chance count MX vs ATV as a new game when the person was just updating the performance?

SynGamer: Entirely possible it could happen. Looking back, I may have counted Bioshock 2 twice :D

----------------

Final Fantasy XIII - 18.3GB - Informatiion courtesy of ve3tro.com by way of Kotaku.
• Disc 1: 5.9GB
• Disc 2: 5.8GB
• Disc 3: 6.6GB

Added FFXIII.

EDIT: added;
Midnight Club: Los Angeles - Complete Edition....[6.1GB]+. Source - AVForums.com
Fable II: Game of the Year Edition...............[6.5GB]+. Source - StripesOnFire.com

[quote name='dumlaox']
nnthomas: How is Deadly Premonition? I was thinking of checking it out but the reviews and some of the YouTube vids made it seem less than mediocre.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed this. I havent actually played it yet. I put it in, installed it... and want to wait for the collectables to be discovered yet. I actually "Kept" it from GameFly because of this. Was only ~$15 (didnt have a coupon, used it on BlazBlue for $11), but still cheap.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Thank you for maintaining this page. I don't follow it but I always review this thread as a reference before I install ANY game. Much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help. It's a testament to everyone who continues to contribute to the thread/list.

Madden NFL 08 - 5.8GB - GREEN - Much faster loading from the HDD.

From DVD
Initial Load - 17 seconds
Play Now - 24 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 14 seconds
Play Now - 18 seconds

----------------------------

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - 4.9GB - GREEN - Much faster loading if done from the HDD.

From DVD
New Game - 32 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 26 seconds

---------------------------

Lips: Party Classics - 6.7GB - WHITE - No more than 2 seconds difference between mediums.

From DVD
I'm Too Sexy: Single: Full - 11 seconds

From HDD
I'm Too Sexy: Single: Full - 9 seconds

Chromehounds - GREEN - Much better loading from HDD.

From DVD
Sniper Mission 1: 23 seconds

From HDD
Sniper Mission 1: 16 seconds

----------------------

Stormrise - 3.5GB - WHITE - No real difference between HDD and DVD.

From DVD
New Game - 17 seconds

From HDD
New Game - 17 seconds

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing with Banjo-Kazooie - 3.8GB - BLUE - An average of 3 seconds savings from HDD.

From DVD
Test Drive - 12 seconds

From HDD
Test Drive - 9 seconds

-----------------

Indianapolis 500 Evolution - 2.7GB - GREEN - Much better loads from HDD.

From DVD
Title Screen - 12 seconds
Quick Race - 31 seconds

From HDD
Title Screen - 9 seconds
Quick Race - 26 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, i dont know WTF is going on, but i can promise you 100 FREAKING PERCENT. that it makes NO DIFFERENCE if Mass Effect 2 is installed to the HDD. the loading times are the same no matter what. Why this is a green boggles me, its a white by a mile. Please fix it before i puke. :\

To everyone else it may be. I'm still out there gathering as much info as I can. I just don'thave access to every game out there, tis all.

Mass Effect 2 = WHITE, No difference at all.
Borderlands = BLUE/GREEN, will have to run it again.

Dragon Age Origins: GREEN THE HELL OUT OF THIS

Loading a new game/resume game

DVD: 26 seconds
HDD: 10.5 seconds

I still check this list as reference. Big thanks to everyone contributing and maintaining it.

I think it'll be a bigger hit once the 250GB HDD hits the streets. Obviously, two of the biggest restrictions on DLC purchases and game installs was the HDD size.

Yay finally updated the list, id still say Mass Effect 2 is a white completly, i never notice any loading time differences at all.

Supreme Commander 2 - 2.0GB - BLUE - Only about a 3 second difference between HDD and DVD.

From DVD
Skirmish - 32 seconds

From HDD
Skirmish - 29 seconds

Madden NFL 07 - 4.1GB - BLUE - Between 4-5 seconds of savings from HDD loading.

From DVD
Initial Load - 22 seconds
Play Now - 26 seconds

From HDD
Initial Load - 17 seconds
Play Now - 22 seconds

So guys I just got a 250gb hard drive so I will be updating on all my games including the halo 3 multiplayer disc with odst that are not on the list very soon.

Just finished my tests I will not include size because I did not check sorry.
Halo 3 multiplayer disc, I saw no improvements at all in forge nor matchmaking
Oblivion, This was the most extreme with a 8-10 second decrease in loading times.

bread's done
Back