XBOX 360 HD DVD Player & DVD Upscaling FAQ

[quote name='gkrykewy']That didn't happen to me. You can just switch back, right?

Yes.[/QUOTE]
I got through half of King Kong thinking "I don't see a difference". So I went back to the system blade, flipped it back to 1080i and it made a huge difference.

Thanks for the info. If I already have an upscaling DVD player (with SACD player so I don't want to remove it), is there any reason to buy a VGA adaptor if I want a HD-DVD player or will I bejust fine with the standard componant cables?

[quote name='Big Papa']That would rule! Hopefully it will happen. I tried searching, but I guess DTS is too short for the filter.[/QUOTE]

According to Xbox.com, if you're using the VGA cable, component cable, or s-video cable (any 1 of those 3 depending on your setup) you can get DTS by using a toslink cable to get optical digital audio.

[quote name='PyroGamer']

WRONG!
[/QUOTE]

Wow, had to search back 2 MONTHS to find that post. Thats the guy buying a 360 add-on to use with his ghetto TV through S-Video, right?

[quote name='MetalGator']According to Xbox.com, if you're using the VGA cable, component cable, or s-video cable (any 1 of those 3 depending on your setup) you can get DTS by using a toslink cable to get optical digital audio.[/QUOTE]

That is odd. I am using the optical cable and running it to my receiver, but it never kicks in to DTS when I select that audio option on a DVD. You can select DTS, but as it has been said before the 360 recodes the signal and pushes it out at standard 5.1.

I have a regular DVD player and it passes the DTS signal just fine, so I know my receiver is working. I wonder if Microsoft is refering to the rumored future patch to allow DTS or simply noting that you can play DTS movies, you just won't get true DTS sound?

[quote name='Apossum']cool, thanks for the input. don't even know what U-control or MPEG2 artifacting is but commentary PIP definitely doesn't make it worth it for me since I never listen to commentary on reg dvds.

I'll probably own an HDTV about 4 years from now and hopefully this thing will be cheaper by then.[/QUOTE]

In 4 years there will no longer be an add-on the drive will just be part of the 360 premium for less than $399. HD-DVD players will be less than $100 stand alone so the drive will be the same price as a DVD player drive for MS.

[quote name='Ruined']
8. Darn, I want to buy the HD DVD addon but I also want to watch upscaled DVD over Component!
A: You need to buy a VGA -> Component adapter. This will bypass the Digital Rights Management and allow you to watch Upscaled DVD over component.
Audio Authority makes a good one: https://www.audioauthority.com/index.php?p=productMore&iProduct=2[/QUOTE]
When the 360 is connected like this, does it use the VGA or component resolutions?

I'm assuming it uses the VGA cables, because that is what is physically attached to the 360.

So on my 1080i TV, would I be able to use the 1920x1080 resolution?

I have a quick question...is there much of a difference between a DVD running at 720 and one running at 480? I've debated on getting VGA cables for my 360, and wondered if they were worth it?

[quote name='specialk']I have a quick question...is there much of a difference between a DVD running at 720 and one running at 480? I've debated on getting VGA cables for my 360, and wondered if they were worth it?[/QUOTE]

It usually depends more on the DVD itself than anything IMO. If a DVD's transfer is bad rule of thumb is it will probably only look worse upscaled. Also while not horrid, the 360 isn't the best DVD upconverter I've seen. You may notice a bit of difference up it's not going to be anything near like a real HD-DVD or so. That aside though, I think the VGA cable was a worthwhile purchase for myself simply because it frees up my one and only component input on my TV for other things, plus it allows the 360 to do more than simple component does.

Also to help out your wallet I can recommend this 360 VGA cable:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-de-49-en-70-178e.html

I was little skeptical myself at first given the price point, but I've had it for probably close to 7 or 8 months now wiht no problems whatsoever.

[quote name='sonicfreak5']i have a ps3 and im getting a HDTV soon, should I even consider getting this?[/QUOTE]

If you like Universal movies you should. Or if you care about helping the good side win the format war, you should. Be a good soldier and never buy a bluray disk so it can die the painful death it deserves.

:cool:

[quote name='specialk']I have a quick question...is there much of a difference between a DVD running at 720 and one running at 480? I've debated on getting VGA cables for my 360, and wondered if they were worth it?[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's worth it. You'll likely notice a bigger jump from 480p to 720p than you will 720p to 1080p. As long as your DVD doesn't have a godawful transfer, you should notice a difference. I certainly did; the 360 is a surprisingly good upconverting DVD player.

Thinking of getting one to lessen the strain on the DVD drive as I've found myself watching more movies on the 360 recently.

Does anyone have their 360 audio currently connected to a Logitech Z-5500 through optical? Right now, when playing movies, it's almost always set to DPLII and I know the Logitechs do Dolby Digital and DTS. The surrounds are really weak, yet in games, it's DD and sounds just fine.

HOLY fuck!!!!

Picked one up tonight at CC with the coupon. I'd seen setups before at stores of the next-gen DVD formats, but having it in my own house for extended viewing, I'm amazed. The details are so rich, the colors vibrant and things just pop out.

Any suggestions for good demo discs for the format? I'm guessing it's been mentioned before and I'll be sure to read through the thread later tonight. Hopefully, I can find some good deals on some discs soon.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']HOLY fuck!!!!

Picked one up tonight at CC with the coupon. I'd seen setups before at stores of the next-gen DVD formats, but having it in my own house for extended viewing, I'm amazed. The details are so rich, the colors vibrant and things just pop out.

Any suggestions for good demo discs for the format? I'm guessing it's been mentioned before and I'll be sure to read through the thread later tonight. Hopefully, I can find some good deals on some discs soon.[/quote]

jump on the google checkout deal... you can get a cheap movie using the $10 of $10

Alright guys I just picked this up today (haven't opened it yet) and was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages in positioning the HD-DVD drive horizontally or vertically? Is ventilation the same regardless of the way it's positioned?

[quote name='SteveMcQ']HOLY fuck!!!!

Any suggestions for good demo discs for the format? I'm guessing it's been mentioned before and I'll be sure to read through the thread later tonight. Hopefully, I can find some good deals on some discs soon.[/quote]

If I were you I would head over to the AVSforum as they ahve a thread (although it is contested) of picture quality movies, they ahve many reviews ect.........

Ok since I havent seen this posted here before, here are some links for international lists which have some releases that are BluRay exclusives here in the US:

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29843791

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=249791

http://hdworld.iforumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=223&mforum=hdworld

and besides Amazon if you want to get some of these titles XpoiltedCinema is supposedly a great place to go when some of these titles come out I will be using them as they are based in the US :)

Happy Viewing

In case you DONT want to click on some of the links some of the "major" releases are Underworld:Evolution, Saw, Saw 2, and The Prestige

OK, I have a question. I have read the first page, but I just want to confirm. I have a 360 hooked up via component. Now if I buy the HD DVD add-on, can I watch HD DVs, upscaled DVDs, and everything will be great and normal?

[quote name='pop311']OK, I have a question. I have read the first page, but I just want to confirm. I have a 360 hooked up via component. Now if I buy the HD DVD add-on, can I watch HD DVs, upscaled DVDs, and everything will be great and normal?[/quote]

hd dvd will look fine...

dvd's will only be at 480p though

[quote name='guyver2077']hd dvd will look fine...

dvd's will only be at 480p though[/quote]how do my DVDs becomes upscaled? VGA? if so, what do I have to do with the VGA cable?

[quote name='pop311']how do my DVDs becomes upscaled? VGA? if so, what do I have to do with the VGA cable?[/QUOTE]

You don't have to do anything with the VGA cable but plug it in. Set the resolution in the system blade, and when you play a DVD it will upscale to that resolution.

[quote name='thrustbucket']You don't have to do anything with the VGA cable but plug it in. Set the resolution in the system blade, and when you play a DVD it will upscale to that resolution.[/quote]What if my TV doesn't have a VGA plug in, but only a "PC" pin plug-in. What is "PC", and where can I buy a converter?

[quote name='pop311']What if my TV doesn't have a VGA plug in, but only a "PC" pin plug-in. What is "PC", and where can I buy a converter?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what that is, does it look like a VGA connector? You will probably have to try it and see. I don't think you can use a converter on the VGA plug to convert to anything.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have no idea what that is, does it look like a VGA connector? You will probably have to try it and see. I don't think you can use a converter on the VGA plug to convert to anything.[/quote]It's a WUXGA connection. Is there any VGA to WUXGA adapter?

[quote name='thrustbucket']I have no idea what that is, does it look like a VGA connector? You will probably have to try it and see. I don't think you can use a converter on the VGA plug to convert to anything.[/QUOTE]

My VGA port on the back of my Samsung DLP says "PC"

That's VGA. WUXGA is just a type of screen that you see mostly on laptops and some TVs. It stands for Widescreen Ultra Extended Graphics Array. If you go shopping for laptops, you'll see that along with UXGA screens which are similar with the exception of not displaying in widescreen.

[quote name='TC']Which TV's are you all using that support 1080p over VGA?[/quote]

Samsung HLS6188W here

Setup:

Westinghouse LVM-42W2 (42" LCD 1080p)
XBOX 360
VGA Cable

I'm considering getting the HDDVD add on, mainly to use as an upconverting DVD player. Does this make any sense to you? I looked at other upconverting players like the oppo, but getting the hddvd functionality and a free movie for less money appeals to me.

I guess my main question is: How does the HD DVD player compare to other upconverting dvd players for upconverting standard DVDs? I've invested quite a bit in my dvd collection (over 900) and I'd probably pick up HDDVDs on sale or used at places like gamestop.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='aw004g']Setup:

Westinghouse LVM-42W2 (42" LCD 1080p)
XBOX 360
VGA Cable

I'm considering getting the HDDVD add on, mainly to use as an upconverting DVD player. [/QUOTE]

Then you'd be wasting your money. This has been covered in depth here. But a quick recap:

The HD DVD add-on does absolutely nothing extra EXCEPT play HD DVD's. If you want your 360 to be an upconverting DVD player, all you need is the VGA cable, and to set a higher resolution in your system blade. That's it.

If all you want is to play DVD's, spending $200 on the add-on will really accomplish nothing, except save the wear and tear on your Xbox DVD ROM.

[quote name='thrustbucket']...the add-on will really accomplish nothing, except save the wear and tear on your Xbox DVD ROM.[/quote]Quite a worthwhile thing in my case. Well worth the extra money for me, though in my case, I also have a few HD-DVDs to run on it. I'm just not quite ready to go out and rebuy my whole collection in HD (what's available, anyway).

What's the deal on auto-resume function for HD-DVDs in the player? It seems with King Kong, every time I pause (either with the actual button or the HD-DVD control) or press stop once, the movie never picks up where I last left off after I shut down the console. With DVDs they resume just fine where I last left off.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']What's the deal on auto-resume function for HD-DVDs in the player? It seems with King Kong, every time I pause (either with the actual button or the HD-DVD control) or press stop once, the movie never picks up where I last left off after I shut down the console. With DVDs they resume just fine where I last left off.[/QUOTE]

Auto-resume, funny enough, is a feature that has to be implicitly added as an 'advanced feature' by the studio authoring the disk. For some reason, most HD DVD's don't contain this feature. But that is why there is around 200 megs of flashram in the drive itself.

You can get around this by pressing the B button just before you want to shut it off or stop it, which sets a bookmark.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Auto-resume, funny enough, is a feature that has to be implicitly added as an 'advanced feature' by the studio authoring the disk. For some reason, most HD DVD's don't contain this feature. But that is why there is around 200 megs of flashram in the drive itself.

You can get around this by pressing the B button just before you want to shut it off or stop it, which sets a bookmark.[/quote]Wow, that's kinda backwards. It seems like a very simple function. Thanks for reminding me about the bookmarking function. So are these bookmarks saved to the HDD as well? I noticed you said flashram, but on my memory settings in the dashboard, the HD-DVD shows up and there's two "Unknown HD-DVD" titles showing as taking up some memory.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Wow, that's kinda backwards. It seems like a very simple function. Thanks for reminding me about the bookmarking function. So are these bookmarks saved to the HDD as well? I noticed you said flashram, but on my memory settings in the dashboard, the HD-DVD shows up and there's two "Unknown HD-DVD" titles showing as taking up some memory.[/QUOTE]

In certain places in the dashboard you can see th HD DVD drive showing up as another memory device that has something like 198 megs of ram. This is on the drive itself and that's where your bookmarks are saved. The "unknown" titles showing up in memory are most likely bookmarks.

[quote name='dragyynvessyl']I know this is totally off-topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and was curious if anyone out there knows anything about this HD-DVD vs HBOHD aspect ratio thing I recently blogged about:
http://www.urbanhonking.com/sosodeep/archives/2007/02/hbohd_vs_hddvd.html[/QUOTE]

I checked out the above link, don't waste your time. The comparison blows. I just watched King Kong on HBOHD and my 360. I was using the same if not similar Sony set and the difference is much closer. The HDDVD picture could depend on so many aspects. His HDPlayer picture is straight blurry. That is a problem somewhere, not anything he should compare to say the least

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']I checked out the above link, don't waste your time. The comparison blows. I just watched King Kong on HBOHD and my 360. I was using the same if not similar Sony set and the difference is much closer. The HDDVD picture could depend on so many aspects. His HDPlayer picture is straight blurry. That is a problem somewhere, not anything he should compare to say the least[/QUOTE]

Not really sure where to begin with your comments, since I don't really understand why you would comment on the blurriness and "picture". I'm sorry if I wasted your time, but it seems like you were missing the point of my entry. I didn't even end up discussing the quality difference between HBOHD and HD-DVD, because taking photos of my TV isn't a good judge of that anyway.

The whole point of the entry is to point out how both HBO and the HD-DVD are presenting something that actually cuts off part of the image.

Films shot in an aspect ratio of 2:35 should not be shown on HBOHD without letterboxing, and the HD-DVD picture, although letterboxed, is actually the same image as the HBO version, but with the top and bottom of the image cut off. Both versions are not providing the image as it was intended to be viewed.

Also, THE DARK KNIGHT:

I think I just realized why you didn't understand my blog entry at all--you probably didn't read the text that accompanied the photos. You should try to take in the entire entry and not just look at the photos. Geez.

[quote name='dragyynvessyl']Also, THE DARK KNIGHT:

I think I just realized why you didn't understand my blog entry at all--you probably didn't read the text that accompanied the photos. You should try to take in the entire entry and not just look at the photos. Geez.[/quote]

OK, since I ahve read up on this particular title and I willpost the source of my info below, the problem is that the Film was shot in Super35 to begin with. The 2.35 image is "matted" both top and bottom for the 2.35 image the matte is then "opened" for an open matte showing on HBOHD. Both are loosing some type of image its jsut where the image was lost.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769810&highlight=Super35

There was a better thread on this I just cant find it at the moment

Thank you! That was the answer I was looking for--"open matte"!

Basically, the image is gained on the top and bottom of the frame, and lost on the sides...

bread's done
Back