XBOX 360 HD DVD Player & DVD Upscaling FAQ

[quote name='M1C13']for people with 1080i not 1080p how does the picture look is it worth buying?[/quote]

Finally picked one up tonight. I've been watching King Kong on my 1080i Vizio and it looks ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. No complaints here (other than my copy of King Kong has two bad chapters right in the middle of the film...:roll:).

Grats OP, You actually explained it well enough for someone who had read nothing on HD DVD before to get excited about it and want it.

Sad about the audio quality. I'm sure it still sounds good.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Finally picked one up tonight. I've been watching King Kong on my 1080i Vizio and it looks ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC. No complaints here (other than my copy of King Kong has two bad chapters right in the middle of the film...:roll:).[/QUOTE]
right after posting before I went out and bought the HD-DVD player with a bunch of gamecrazy store credit, so I love it. I know have king kong and apollo 13 which looks amazing. I was confused at first about the aspect ratio but I did some more research and know why it looks like that.

Just got this today, and as soon as I boot it up, the dvd is skipping and stalling really bad. Is it a problem with the disk, or could it be my player?

[quote name='Nightfall']Just got this today, and as soon as I boot it up, the dvd is skipping and stalling really bad. Is it a problem with the disk, or could it be my player?[/QUOTE]

Do you have a constant connection to live? Which title are you trying to play? There have been ongoing updates to make certain titles more compatible.

Must have just been the disk. I got a movie from a friend, and it worked great. I guess I shouldn't assume a new, sealed copy of a movie from MS would work.

[quote name='Nightfall']Must have just been the disk. I got a movie from a friend, and it worked great. I guess I shouldn't assume a new, sealed copy of a movie from MS would work.[/QUOTE]

I didn't know MS made movies???

I had a copy of fearless that skipped like mad, exchanged it at walmart without issue though.

[quote name='Nightfall']Must have just been the disk. I got a movie from a friend, and it worked great. I guess I shouldn't assume a new, sealed copy of a movie from MS would work.[/QUOTE]

I'll assume your referring to King Kong. Mine doesn't work perfectly either. Two chapters will freeze on every attempt to access them.

The other three discs I own are flawless.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Official word just hit about the DTS update patch.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9847148&&#post9847148[/QUOTE]

Anyone seen any updates on the DTS patch? Still not able to get DTS sound from an HD DVD.

All though on the Sahara HD disc if I select DTS I notice the sound output is tons better than just selecting 5.1. My tuner never kicks into DTS, but I guess the 360s "mix down" of the DTS track provides a better source or something. Anyone else notice this?

[quote name='Big Papa']Anyone seen any updates on the DTS patch? Still not able to get DTS sound from an HD DVD.

All though on the Sahara HD disc if I select DTS I notice the sound output is tons better than just selecting 5.1. My tuner never kicks into DTS, but I guess the 360s "mix down" of the DTS track provides a better source or something. Anyone else notice this?[/QUOTE]

That's the way it's designed right now. No matter what sound stream you choose, it will always remix it to dd out. When the spring update comes out, you'll be able to choose between dd and dts for ALL sound streams in hd dvd to be mixed to. That means even selecting dolby digital will still output dts and vice versa.

After wanting this HD-DVD drive since it launched, I caved in and bought it today.

I found a used copy of MI:3 at EB for $17.99 and it looks great! Can't wait to pick up more releases I already don't have on standard DVD.

Any tips for the cheapest place to get HD-DVDs?

[quote name='asianxcore']After wanting this HD-DVD drive since it launched, I caved in and bought it today.

I found a used copy of MI:3 at EB for $17.99 and it looks great! Can't wait to pick up more releases I already don't have on standard DVD.

Any tips for the cheapest place to get HD-DVDs?[/QUOTE]

Right now, mostly buy.com with google checkout. You have to create a new google account each time you do it, but it does save you $10. I did it about 7 times until they finally suspended all my accounts :lol: . But I just did it again by using a different credit card number :applause:

[quote name='thrustbucket']Right now, mostly buy.com with google checkout. [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind when an HD-DVD release catches my eye.

My local EB had a couple used HD-DVD's for reasonable prices. MI:3 was $17.99, Jarhead I believe was $14.99 and Bourne Identity was $14.99.

I'm sure not all EB/Gamestop's have used HD-DVD's (YMMV)

I'm wanting to bite on this Heroes and 7 DVDs deal, and I just want to check to see if it will play on my SD TV till I go HD.

I know it wont be HD, I just wanna know if it will be messed up.

Thanks,

It will play fine, just won't really look any better. Basically, does your XBOX 360 work on your SDTV? YES. So will this since it shares the same video connection.

Yes, but it would be pointless.

It's not like this Heroes deal is so good that you wouldn't be able to buy the thing cheaper later on, when you actually have reason to own it.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Yes, but it would be pointless.

It's not like this Heroes deal is so good that you wouldn't be able to buy the thing cheaper later on, when you actually have reason to own it.[/QUOTE]

I think this deal is SO good. I got nothing when I bought my HD-DVD player...early adopters suck, but I got $40 off (which technically is only $20 now as the price dropped).

You get Heroes and 2 HD-DVD's and 5 free via rebate....seems like a GREAT deal to me. Unless you are getting an HDTV in like 2 years, then it is pointless.

[quote name='doubledown']early adopters suck[/QUOTE]
My point exactly. The longer you wait, the cheaper the products will be.

There is no reason to invest in something you aren't going to use right away. Depreciation is not a pretty sight in the AV world.

[quote name='PyroGamer']Yes, but it would be pointless.

It's not like this Heroes deal is so good that you wouldn't be able to buy the thing cheaper later on, when you actually have reason to own it.[/QUOTE]

The 720p trailers on the marketplace looked better in SD than the 480p ones .

So it's not pointless .

[quote name='Richlough']The 720p trailers on the marketplace looked better in SD than the 480p ones .

So it's not pointless .[/quote]
That could've been due to compression. I'm willing to bet if he was comparing the two in disc format on his SDTV it'd be pretty indistinguishable.

Why not save the money and put it toward getting the HDTV sooner?

Reason I came in to post:
Got in on the Heroes + 2 deal at BB and the fucking thing didn't work. The drive, that is. I took my time carefully integrating it into my entertainment center setup and after I got everything on and installed the software, I hit the eject button and the tray came out about one inch and got stuck. Would budge a little either direction but I eventually had to force it closed and turn it off. Exchanged at BB today no problems, luckily they still had 3 or 4 in stock.

bread's done
Back