Xbox 360 price/bundles leaked (?)

Regardless of its price point, I don't think that I have gotten everything out of the current crop of systems to justify going head first into the next generation. Obviously, if we continue to be early adopters the inital prices will continue to be higher.

I am not claiming that $360 is a bad price for the system at launch, but for me I can most likely squeeze more time out of the PS2, X-Box, and GCN.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I already have a DS, and PSP which I've spent well over $700 on (systems, games, extras). I do plan on getting one of the big three consoles at launch, but I'm definitely not going to purchase it without seeing them all first. I'm waiting until all three are released before I buy. Especially since what I keep hearing about the Xbox 360 being less powerful than the PS3, and the Revolution.

It seems to me that the Xbox 360 will look nice coming out of the gate first, but in the end it's going to be blown away by the PS3, and Revolution. It's going to end up looking like what I think it really is.... the Xbox 1.5. The one thing that would make me break down, and buy an Xbox 360 within a year of it's launch is backwards compatiblity.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts, Chris. 360 sounds nice now, but after Thursday, we still have the announcements on Monday and Tuesday. And my hunch is that they will be progressively better. I hope 360 is better than we are thinking it will be, but my feeling is that you are dead on.

[quote name='mrnomis27']Regardless of its price point, I don't think that I have gotten everything out of the current crop of systems to justify going head first into the next generation. [/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. I've got plenty to keep me busy until well after all 3 systems are out. Unless I really see a *huge* leap in terms of graphics and gameplay, I'm going to be waiting a while until I get a next gen console...

[quote name='javeryh']It's getting harder and harder to justify all of these purchases... $500 to get up and running with a few games takes you right out of casual to either hardcore or money to burn... $200 for the DS, $300 for the PSP, $500 for the 360, then the PS3 then the Revolution... It's MADNESS!!!![/QUOTE]

Dude, you got the cheddar to cover that! ;)

[quote name='lebowsky']Dude, you got the cheddar to cover that! ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but unfortunately for me, having the money is quite different from being willing to spend it.

[quote name='js1']I'll wait a year or two , or three, unless they will have some games I want which the xbox did not..[/QUOTE]

Same here, I'm not paying $360 for another XBOX system when I barely use the one I have now(Halo, NG, DOA, nothing else). If it was $250 I'd think about it. Including Halo 2.5 or 3 or whatever they want to call their next rip off would probably make me less likely to buy it. :ziplip:

[quote name='MorPhiend']Guys, you won't be able to buy an extra game for $400. 1.) You have taxes. Depending on your state, you will probably pay anywhere from $25-$30 in taxes. That makes the price $385-$390. Some who hadn't thought of this might argue that that isn't much money, but everyone is reveling over it possibly being $40 less than they had thought. 2.) Supposedly, Xbox 360 (that is still the stupidest name ever) games are going to retail at $59.99. With taxes, this makes the system package and one game $450. Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade and if you want the system, by all means, get one. But I don't want your pipedreams to disappoint you when you are waiting in line to buy a system and three games for $500, But it turns out that two games will cost you $515 or so.

That all said, I am tempted to say that I want to get one as well. But I'm sure that if I can only afford one at launch, after E3 I won't be wanting the 360 (stupid, stupid name...).[/QUOTE]

Not me! I am getting mine at the BX (base exchange) baby, no tax or waiting in line on launch day! I scored myself a PS2 on launch day there for $299 out the door by camping out in front of the door at 7 when the store opened at 9.

[quote name='onikage']Same here, I'm not paying $360 for another XBOX system when I barely use the one I have now(Halo, NG, DOA, nothing else). If it was $250 I'd think about it. Including Halo 2.5 or 3 or whatever they want to call their next rip off would probably make me less likely to buy it. :ziplip:[/QUOTE]

Why would they release it at $250? That's $50 cheaper than the original Xbox.

And you'd be less likely to buy the console if they gave you a free game?

[quote name='onikage']Same here, I'm not paying $360 for another XBOX system when I barely use the one I have now(Halo, NG, DOA, nothing else). If it was $250 I'd think about it. Including Halo 2.5 or 3 or whatever they want to call their next rip off would probably make me less likely to buy it. :ziplip:[/QUOTE]

so if it was $250 you would buy it.. but if they threw in a free halo game you would be less likely to buy it?

[quote name='zewone']I don't plan on getting the PS3 or Revolution, so buying the 360 is an easy decision for me.[/QUOTE]

It's interesting that you would dismiss 2 products you haven't seen for another product you haven't seen...

[quote name='javeryh']It's interesting that you would dismiss 2 products you haven't seen for another product you haven't seen...[/QUOTE]
Well, I'm mostly going off of what happened this generation of systems. I have all 3 systems and only play Xbox. If the same kind of games are released for the same respective systems then I know which one I should pick up. But lots of things could change. I'll have to see when and if they do.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']fuck that I'm too used to paying $100 - $250 for consoles. $360 sounds like a shitload of money to spend on video games to me, maybe if it's backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, $199 is my limit for consoles. $99 for portables.

Maybe you can get some extra money from those "stripper slippers" in your auction.

I want to know why there is so much hype for so little know about the console launch titles. There are going to have to be some really good top tier titles for me to buy an Xbox 360 at launch and I have not yet seen anything to convince me to spend that money on the console.

The only console I bought on launch this gen was the Gamecube! Luigi's Mansion, Rogue Leader and Super Monkey Ball sold the console for me!

I waiting until after E3 to base my opinion on 360 and to see what they plan on launching with the system and check out MTV promo as well.

[quote name='doubledown']Oh yes...and there really is conrcete evidence of $60 games and the price of teh console.[/QUOTE]
They've (Game Publishers) have already been testing the waters. A substancial number of people were willing to pay the $5 premium for the 'Collectors' Edition of Mortal Kombat, Splinter Cell : CT & Halo 2. $59.99 games? Bet your ass it will be.

Two words, just two words they need to add... well, three actually.

Mouse(Or Trackball), Keyboard compatibility.

Think about it. Playing WarCraft III/etc on your living room couch via Xbox Live. Among all the other types of games that play so much better with the mouse/keyboard setup. They could be rechargable wireless peripherals that work like just about every wireless home phone.

No, it still wouldn't be equal to the wonderful greatness of a gaming PC, but my gawd would that be a huge jump from a gamepad for some games/genres.

They add support for those two items, and $360 would be worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY to me.

[quote name='Aleryn']Two words, just two words they need to add... well, three actually.

Mouse(Or Trackball), Keyboard compatibility.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I count five.

[quote name='zewone']Well, I'm mostly going off of what happened this generation of systems. I have all 3 systems and only play Xbox. If the same kind of games are released for the same respective systems then I know which one I should pick up. But lots of things could change. I'll have to see when and if they do.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to agree here to. I'm not buying a XBox2 just because It's first out of the gate, It's because the XBox1 had great games. I play my XBox more then any other system, and that's reason enough for me to buy an X2. The PS2 might have alot of variety but the XBox has a few certain games that appeal to me more, and I'm also a online person which Sony hasn't really stuck a fork in, and Nintendo doesn't even blink a eye when it comes to online abilities.

Godly graphics or not, a XBox2 will be mine when the end of this year hits.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'll have to agree here to. I'm not buying a XBox2 just because It's first out of the gate, It's because the XBox1 had great games. I play my XBox more then any other system, and that's reason enough for me to buy an X2. The PS2 might have alot of variety but the XBox has a few certain games that appeal to me more, and I'm also a online person which Sony hasn't really stuck a fork in, and Nintendo doesn't even blink a eye when it comes to online abilities.

Godly graphics or not, a XBox2 will be mine when the end of this year hits.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I could have said it better myself. :)

I want an Xbox 360 because I love the original Xbox. I used to have a PS2, but I sold it and my old Xbox (had a Thomson drive, and started to have trouble with certain games) and PS2 game collection to buy the Halo Xbox. Works perfectly.

I sold my PS2 because most of the games on PS2 were also available on Xbox, and I preferred the Xbox versions. The only games I had and played for PS2 were the GTA games, and once I found out they were releasing them on Xbox, there was no reason to keep the machine.

With my router and room now properly set up, I love playing on Xbox Live. It's awesome. I have a GameCube (and will buy Nintendo's next console) because I love the first-party titles like Mario and Zelda. Plus, there are some good exclusives and certain games that I like better on GameCube. I just wish that Nintendo would venture into online gameplay. It would be sweet.

Dangit, I just remembered that my Xbox Live expires in a few days. Does anyone know where I can buy a new subscription card for a good price? Don't want to cancel my service, maybe I'll just have to switch to monthly temporarily. I just can't shell out $50 right now for another year. :(

$360 is not bad...considering if the Xbox 360 is backwards compatiable, you coulf probaly trade your old system in or $50 or so.

with a HDD and a 3.2 ghz cpu and 512mb DDR3 of ram. at $360 I was willing to pay up to $400 so this works out perfect. I will be pre-ordering one in time.

I'll pass on launch day. I'm not paying 50 bucks for a new game. Also I'm sure every place will make you buy a bundle that will include some crappy 3rd party controller that I'll never use.

I'll wait untill PS3 and or Revolution comes out. I want to see another console price war. I don't know what the big rush is. Me like most people here have a stack of games to play while I wait for deals on xbox 360 to have a price drop.

I'm not paying more then 250 on it. Also I'm not going to trade in my current xbox for a discount like I'm sure EB and the such will have. No store is going to convince me that giving me 80 bucks for xbox and 4 games is a good deal.

[quote name='Saucy Jack']Dangit, I just remembered that my Xbox Live expires in a few days. Does anyone know where I can buy a new subscription card for a good price? Don't want to cancel my service, maybe I'll just have to switch to monthly temporarily. I just can't shell out $50 right now for another year. :([/QUOTE]

Shayde was selling one in his TL for $35, and I know he has a list of games on his want list in there.

Right over here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50759

I plan on making a decision today, RIGHT NOW, clutching that opinion tightly to my chest and pressing ever onward, unwavering in my resolve, regardless of whatever information comes out now and when the xbox2 streets. I will also continue to call it xbox2, or possibly Katana. Additionally, since I was willing to pay $720 just for the system, without any controllers, memory unit, battery cord, power button, av cable or custom skins, $360 is a GREAT price. Since I find the graphics on the xbox to be very poor and unsatisfactory and there are no games now available I want to or have yet to play, I eagerly await whatever handful of titles will be available at launch. I especially want to see how Madden plays on this Beast.

Hopefully in the next few days I can also create a steadfast position regarding the ps3 (depending solely on whether the rumored Final Fantasy: Grand Theft Auto will be a launch title) and ignoring the revolution because i havent heard anything about it on mtv.

The coming months will be a barren time, devoid of anything save the slivers of press releases, internet gossip and doctored photos which trickle down from higher planes of existence, during which I fully accept my role as tool for my corporate masters. Game on, I say, game on.

[quote name='vherub']I plan on making a decision today, RIGHT NOW, clutching that opinion tightly to my chest and pressing ever onward, unwavering in my resolve, regardless of whatever information comes out now and when the xbox2 streets. I will also continue to call it xbox2, or possibly Katana. Additionally, since I was willing to pay $720 just for the system, without any controllers, memory unit, battery cord, power button, av cable or custom skins, $360 is a GREAT price. Since I find the graphics on the xbox to be very poor and unsatisfactory and there are no games now available I want to or have yet to play, I eagerly await whatever handful of titles will be available at launch. I especially want to see how Madden plays on this Beast.

Hopefully in the next few days I can also create a steadfast position regarding the ps3 (depending solely on whether the rumored Final Fantasy: Grand Theft Auto will be a launch title) and ignoring the revolution because i havent heard anything about it on mtv.

The coming months will be a barren time, devoid of anything save the slivers of press releases, internet gossip and doctored photos which trickle down from higher planes of existence, during which I fully accept my role as tool for my corporate masters. Game on, I say, game on.[/QUOTE]

That's fine. I'm sure you could use a few months of down time in your rubber bedroom.

pretty cool if it comes in at 350-60... i don't think i'll bite on launch day.. depends on how much i can sell my previous xbox for around here so i could get some extra money for launch (i'm guessing i could get 75-100 out of it even then).. i'd be really sold if it came with a game installed on the HD..

Well..... here is the bad news.......

I had been told by a friend deep inside gaming industry, MS is planning to sell Xbox 360 in Nov for $599 (which includes 20gig HD). Sony may release PS3 in Dec, and then MS will sell Xbox 360 without HD for $399 in Jan.

This should be a public new within 24 hours

[quote name='MellowYellow']Well..... here is the bad news.......

I had been told by a friend deep inside gaming industry, MS is planning to sell Xbox 360 in Nov for $599 (which includes 20gig HD). Sony may release PS3 in Dec, and then MS will sell Xbox 360 without HD for $399 in Jan.

This should be a public new within 24 hours[/QUOTE]

Highly dubious. Not only is that price point outrageously high but the idea that the hard drive would make a $200 difference is laughable. I can buy 20 GB 2.5" drives for $40 in single unit quantity.

I'd sooner expect Microsoft to announce they were exiting the console business. A $599 price would effectively be such an announcement.

[quote name='epobirs']Highly dubious. Not only is that price point outrageously high but the idea that the hard drive would make a $200 difference is laughable. I can buy 20 GB 2.5" drives for $40 in single unit quantity.

I'd sooner expect Microsoft to announce they were exiting the console business. A $599 price would effectively be such an announcement.[/QUOTE]

I kind of wonder why they went with the 20 GB drive. It seems like something that is not really all that common anymore. I would think something a little bigger would be more standard and easier for others to produce (and would in turn cost less)

Keep in mind that MS will not release the info about the $399 system w/o hd in Jan tomorrow. MS plans to sell the $599 unit to as many early adaptors as possible. As soon as Sony makes the anouncement of PS3 price point, MS will make the anouncement of $399 unit to counter attack Sony. It is all about strategy marketing which makes most money for the company.

$599 price point seems logical to me in hardware point of view, since PC doesn't even have dual cores yet, and xbox 360 has triple cores. As far as gamers' point of view, we all know what happened with 3DO's $700 machine...... However, MS does have soooooo much money in reserve, xbox 360 is here to stay as long as MS wants to.

[quote name='MellowYellow']As soon as Sony makes the anouncement of PS3 price point, MS will make the anouncement of $399 unit to counter attack Sony. It is all about strategy marketing which makes most money for the company.[/QUOTE]

You're insane. This seems to suggest that BOTH companies plan on releasing their systems at the $400+ range. Like epobirs said, that would be suicide. No company expects to make their mark in console sales; the money is in software sales. Get people to buy systems at a reasonable price like $300, then sell them $50-$60 games. This is how it has always worked; I see no reasoning as to why any of the big three would fuck with the formula now.

Almost noone is going to pay over $400 for a system. Noone.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I kind of wonder why they went with the 20 GB drive. It seems like something that is not really all that common anymore. I would think something a little bigger would be more standard and easier for others to produce (and would in turn cost less)[/QUOTE]

Probably went with the 20 so later down the line when you fill it up or more hardrive intensive software/ downloads (media center, episodic content, marketplace purchases) is out there, they can get you to buy an extra 40 or whatever.

[quote name='epobirs']Highly dubious. Not only is that price point outrageously high but the idea that the hard drive would make a $200 difference is laughable. I can buy 20 GB 2.5" drives for $40 in single unit quantity.

I'd sooner expect Microsoft to announce they were exiting the console business. A $599 price would effectively be such an announcement.[/QUOTE]

Agree'd if a company like Sony is willing to take loses on the PSP... Microsoft would even be BETTER equiped to take losses on a system. Nothing higher than $399 w/ harddrive. $360 just makes to much sense.

[quote name='MellowYellow']Keep in mind that MS will not release the info about the $399 system w/o hd in Jan tomorrow. MS plans to sell the $599 unit to as many early adaptors as possible. As soon as Sony makes the anouncement of PS3 price point, MS will make the anouncement of $399 unit to counter attack Sony. It is all about strategy marketing which makes most money for the company.

$599 price point seems logical to me in hardware point of view, since PC doesn't even have dual cores yet, and xbox 360 has triple cores. As far as gamers' point of view, we all know what happened with 3DO's $700 machine...... However, MS does have soooooo much money in reserve, xbox 360 is here to stay as long as MS wants to.[/QUOTE]

Making an estimate based on the PC market is mixing apples and striped-ass baboons. They aren't the same category of item. Desktop/server CPUs have a lot of functions that use a good deal of gates and thus add cost. The PPC core design IBM produced is heavily customized for Microsoft's needs (as was the Gamecube CPU) Intel's lack of interest in offering this level of customization was a major reason for not using X86 in the new machine. Microsoft needed something with high performance but characteristics more akin to embedded designs.

And the PC does have dual cores now. You won't find them at Best Buy for a while but products are shipping in the workstation sector. Both Intel and AMD have four core chips on their roadmaps. For their purposes cores will always be in even numbers and typically powers of two. (2, 4, 8, 16, etc.) This is the preferred arrangement for server designand since that is the highest margin market it distates the path X86 will follow. for Microsoft's purposes those issues didn't apply. A game console is a dedicated environment and there is no need to accommodate the preferences of a multitasking OS. The sole question was how much could IBM put on one die for X number of dollars and produce with high yields.

If Microsoft thought any significant amount over $300 was acceptable in the console they would had such a price on the original Xbox. It would have saved them a ton of money. But they obviously don't believe that price point can be raised without worse penalty than subsidizing hardware. The problem with the xbox was that they didn't own the chipset and couldn't obtain less costly version as technology improved. This time around they've made sure they own all of the chips in the system that are unique to it. (There are going to be any number of small semiconductor items in the machine that are standardized and available from multiple vendors.) They can take their business to any foundry and obtain die shrinks as better process technology become available. Rather than having to go hat in hand to Nvidia in hopes of getting a die shrink out of them, this time they'll have every big foundry vying to win their business. Short of building their own chip foundries like Sony, this is as good as it gets for a product maker.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I kind of wonder why they went with the 20 GB drive. It seems like something that is not really all that common anymore. I would think something a little bigger would be more standard and easier for others to produce (and would in turn cost less)[/QUOTE]

Don't forget, it is a 2.5" drive. 20 GB is still the entry level for that category. The vendors haven't been specified but this is the the best deal offered. Just as the majority of Xbox drives, even those of Live users, are mostly empty, this unit should be far more than adequate capacity for a good while. The drive module is designed to allow upgrades and they've made reference to havinga much great range of downloads available including stuff like game demos, trailers, HD movie trailers, etc., with the ultimate goal being episodic game downloads.

So the opportunity to fill this drive will be higher but still, until the need is demonstrated there is no point offering anything more than the lowest cost unit offered by vendors. By the time users are clamoring for larger units the price on those should be lower, so waiting as long as possible to sell those will work out better for everybody.

[quote name='MellowYellow']Well..... here is the bad news.......

This should be a public new within 24 hours[/QUOTE]

fucking ridiculous.

[quote name='shrike4242']fucking ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have to call BS, I mean If microsoft wants to go and kill holiday sales, setting their price at $599 is gonna do it. What parent could ever spending that much and $200 for just the HD just doesnt make any sense

MS' main focus of first wave Xbox 360 buyers are early adaptors and high income families. These are the customers who will pay money to be the first kid on the block owning 360 regardless the price. As far as MS is concern, they need to sell off the last shipment of Nvidia chipsets left in the warehouse, and the only way is to sell off xbox 1 before PS3 comes out, is not having 360 competing with xbox 1 during this chrismas season.
MS also knows that there will be complains about the $600 price tag from the average gamers, so the $400 unit is to ease the complains and also to start a price war with PS3.
MS will be watching Sony's anouncement closely today. If Sony doesn't anounce pricing today, MS will use the $599 price range. All the big retailer buyers had already been informed by MS about the price range.
Xbox 1 was priced at $299 not by choice of MS, but to have the same price point as PS2 at the time.

[quote name='MellowYellow']MS' main focus of first wave Xbox 360 buyers are early adaptors and high income families. These are the customers who will pay money to be the first kid on the block owning 360 regardless the price. MS has no interest selling 360 to average gamers before PS3 gets released. As far as MS is concern, they need to sell off the last shipment of Nvidia chipsets left in the warehouse, and the only way is to sell off xbox 1 before PS3 comes out, is not having 360 competing with xbox 1.
MS also knows that there will be complains about the $600 price tag from the average gamers, the $400 unit is to silence the complains and to also start a price war with PS3.
Xbox 1 was priced at $299 not by choice of MS, but to have the same price point as PS2 at the time.[/QUOTE]

That would be holiday sales suicide, sales wise it doesnt make sense

[quote name='MellowYellow']MS also knows that there will be complains about the $600 price tag from the average gamers, the $400 unit is to silence the complains and to also start a price war with PS3.[/QUOTE]

I'd like everyone to read that. Take a good long look, and then tell me what's wrong.

[quote name='Ledhed']I'd like everyone to read that. Take a good long look, and then tell me what's wrong.[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt it be easier to just list whats right with it? Which is NOTHING.

[quote name='MellowYellow']MS' main focus of first wave Xbox 360 buyers are early adaptors and high income families. These are the customers who will pay money to be the first kid on the block owning 360 regardless the price. As far as MS is concern, they need to sell off the last shipment of Nvidia chipsets left in the warehouse, and the only way is to sell off xbox 1 before PS3 comes out, is not having 360 competing with xbox 1 during this chrismas season.
MS also knows that there will be complains about the $600 price tag from the average gamers, so the $400 unit is to ease the complains and also to start a price war with PS3.
MS will be watching Sony's anouncement closely today. If Sony doesn't anounce pricing today, MS will use the $599 price range. All the big retailer buyers had already been informed by MS about the price range.
Xbox 1 was priced at $299 not by choice of MS, but to have the same price point as PS2 at the time.[/QUOTE]

Sales of the original Xbox are unlikely to be affected in any way by any new system. The bulk of those who'd be inclined to buy at launch already own all of the current hardware they want. Considering the ongoing complaints about many retailers being poorly supplied with Xbox units the likelihood of it sitting stagnant on the shelves is rather low. If it truly became a problem Microsoft could simply drop the price to $99 and be rid of every single unit quite quickly. A fair number of dedicated Xbox users would buy a second one at that price just to have a spare and for LAN parties.

Xbox was priced at $299 for the same reason as the PS2. Nothing above that point has ever done any decent business in this market. The last that tried, the Sega Staturn, suffered one of the more painful lifecycles in console history.

[quote name='MellowYellow']MS' main focus of first wave Xbox 360 buyers are early adaptors and high income families. These are the customers who will pay money to be the first kid on the block owning 360 regardless the price. As far as MS is concern, they need to sell off the last shipment of Nvidia chipsets left in the warehouse, and the only way is to sell off xbox 1 before PS3 comes out, is not having 360 competing with xbox 1 during this chrismas season.

I'll say it again.

fucking ridiculous.

bread's done
Back