Xbox 360 Pro (20GB) Refurb for $99 @ Gamestop (Ships June 1st)

I've been looking for a second 360 for the family when I head off to college again in the Fall, but I'm going to wait for E3 and see if there's any price-drops on the 360/Kinect stuff first.
I'd recommend waiting 'till E3 to everyone, especially with all the older models having problems with some of the newer games. I assume this is not a temporary deal either.

Edit: I have no idea what a Jasper version is, but yeah.. no guarantees. Possible RROD from these guys, beware.

Absolutely no guarantee that these will be Jasper versions (most likely not), so its an easy pass for me. I had a launch 60gb pro system but was fortunate to trade it in to Gamestop when they offered a big chunk of credit towards a new slim, so I now have the 250gb slim and several new Jasper backup systems (new).

Remember, you need a wifi adapter on the older models so probably better to just get the slim.

[quote name='snake']Remember, you need a wifi adapter on the older models so probably better to just get the slim.[/QUOTE]

Almost forgot, thanks!

No HDMI inputs as well.

but this doesnt look like such a bad deal at all.

If you are in need of a controller and headset, this isnt a bad price with an extra 360. You can install all your games and will create less heat for that RROD.

[quote name='wreckemtexastech']interesting price forall that. and its microsoft refurb'd... still gonna RROD but perhaps not as soon. May be a newer arcade model[/QUOTE]

Since this is refirbished, I'm sure this is the modified motherboard Microsoft swapped out in their repair centers that tends not to RROD...

[quote name='BobbyTastic']I've been looking for a second 360 for the family when I head off to college again in the Fall, but I'm going to wait for E3 and see if there's any price-drops on the 360/Kinect stuff first.
I'd recommend waiting 'till E3 to everyone, especially with all the older models having problems with some of the newer games. I assume this is not a temporary deal either.

Edit: I have no idea what a Jasper version is, but yeah.. no guarantees. Possible RROD from these guys, beware.[/QUOTE]

It won't be a Jasper, a Jasper comes with (or without) a 60GB HD, and is just called Xbox 360. The early Xbox 360s that came with a 20GB HD were called Xbox 360 Pro...

[quote name='aznhero913']I wonder this model is eligible for the free upgrade that MS is gonna be providing to folks.[/QUOTE]

It is only certain Xboxes that Microsoft will be incompatible, by either giving out an error code when attempting to play a DVD disc game. Microsoft will also be able to detect the problem remotely, and proactively contact you if needed.

Since these units are coming from Microsoft, I doubt that they would sell systems that had this problem...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']It won't be a Jasper, a Jasper comes with (or without) a 60GB HD, and is just called Xbox 360. The early Xbox 360s that came with a 20GB HD were called Xbox 360 Pro...[/QUOTE]

It MAY be a Jasper. There's no guarantee that Gamestop isn't just taking old hard drives and old 360s and putting them together. That being said, it's very UNLIKELY that they will be a Jasper.

What i love is the fact that there's a "Buy New" button to purchase the refurbished console.

[quote name='Chemosh013']It MAY be a Jasper. There's no guarantee that Gamestop isn't just taking old hard drives and old 360s and putting them together. That being said, it's very UNLIKELY that they will be a Jasper.

What i love is the fact that there's a "Buy New" button to purchase the refurbished console.[/QUOTE]

This is a Microsoft Refirbished systems, meaning that it is directly from Microsoft (even put in a special retail box marked refirbished). These systems are probably returns or repaired systems recertifed by Microsoft. Best Buy sells these same systems in some of their stores.

This is not the same as GameStop refirbished, where it most likely goes through a 3rd party contractor to be refirbished. The listing on Gamestop.com has listings both for Microsoft & GameStop refirbished systems.

Technically an "Xbox Pro" were systems that came with a 20 or 60GB HD, that completed their run far before the Jaspers came out in 2009. Most likely these Xbox Pros have the Zepher or Falcon motherboards...

[quote name='ral1121']No HDMI inputs as well.[/QUOTE]

This was the clincher for me to not jump. The price was about $10 too much, but no HDMI sealed it for me.

Further proof of incoming price drop?

Though the lack of wireless kills it for me, cause where I'm moving I need wireless and I don't have a wireless adaptor, so I'm probably gonna get 360 #3 if a price drop happens.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Further proof of incoming price drop?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think its further proof of an incoming price drop, just further proof that this console model is pretty old.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']This is a Microsoft Refirbished systems, meaning that it is directly from Microsoft (even put in a special retail box marked refirbished). These systems are probably returns or repaired systems recertifed by Microsoft. Best Buy sells these same systems in some of their stores.

This is not the same as GameStop refirbished, where it most likely goes through a 3rd party contractor to be refirbished. The listing on Gamestop.com has listings both for Microsoft & GameStop refirbished systems.

Technically an "Xbox Pro" were systems that came with a 20 or 60GB HD, that completed their run far before the Jaspers came out in 2009. Most likely these Xbox Pros have the Zepher or Falcon motherboards...[/QUOTE]

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Buying a non slim model 360 ( especially a refurbished one ) is the equivalent of buying a c4 explosive. I remember people combining the old 360's with the old niko intercoolers, boy did that unbeatable combination lead to horrible things lol

No HDMI = Not a Jasper since all Jaspers have HDMI. Proceed with caution when ordering. Luckily I have a Jasper system along with a 250GB slim.

[quote name='WyldRyce']No HDMI = Not a Jasper since all Jaspers have HDMI. Proceed with caution when ordering. Luckily I have a Jasper system along with a 250GB slim.[/QUOTE]

wow horrible information here Listen,

end of 05 to 07 came the zenon with no hdmi and a 90 nm cpu and a 90 nm gpu, also a 203 watt power supply, these were the dreaded RROD consoles with high rate of failure.

end of 07 to end of 08 came the falcon with hdmi and 65 nm cpu and a 80 nm gpu lowering the power consumption to 175 watts these systems were more prone to e79 errors, which came from the hana scaling chip associated with the hdmi video playback but were alot more reliable.

end of 08 till present fat box are the jaspers with hdmi and 65 nm cpu and 65 nm gpu and there 150 watt power supplys, these are the holy grails of fat boxes, as there has been no cases of one dying from overheating.

The opus is a refurbished 360 that was a zenon and is basically a falcon without hdmi, Microsoft used all the returned 360's and replaced the motherboard, and cpu, upgraded the heatsinks, and used the xenon cases to make the refurbished opus. an opus has a 65 nm cpu and a 90 nm gpu reused from dead zenon's.

There is almost definitely going to be a price drop at E3. The Xbox 4GB will cost 150 bucks or so. Just get that...

And if the price drop doesn't happen, then at least YOULL KNOW.

[quote name='Microshock']There is almost definitely going to be a price drop at E3. The Xbox 4GB will cost 150 bucks or so. Just get that...

And if the price drop doesn't happen, then at least YOULL KNOW.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I see the 4 gb dropping to 149.99 or phased out altogether for kinect only versions for 199.99 to 299.99.

Was going to jump on this because I have NEVER owned an Xbox. There is just too much negative in this thread. I am most likely going to wait for the price drop. What size hd would one need if playing just games and downloading from live? I wouldn't be purchasing online content heavily but there are quite a few exclusives I would love to have and this 4gb model does not seem likely to have enough space for anything. 4gb is not that spacey nowadays. Also...not a big online fan. Never have been. I would most likely pick up the call of duties and never touch the online. Don't know if that factors into having a bunch of space.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Buying a non slim model 360 ( especially a refurbished one ) is the equivalent of buying a c4 explosive. I remember people combining the old 360's with the old niko intercoolers, boy did that unbeatable combination lead to horrible things lol[/QUOTE]

Wisdom from a CAG newbie. Nice to see.:)

This is tempting, just because I've been looking for a console to mod (cosmetically) and it's not like it would be my primary system (I have a 250GB slim, Halo: Reach edition). The question for me is will they drop the 4GB slim to 150, or just include more extras (i.e. kinect) at 200 and above. I don't particularly want to pay for a Kinect at any price, so I'm kind of on the fence about this one...

[quote name='tttBARBWIREttt']I agree, I see the 4 gb dropping to 149.99 or phased out altogether for kinect only versions for 199.99 to 299.99.[/QUOTE]

I agree that a $50 price cut is due to happen across the Xbox product line. I don't think the 4GB Xbox will be phased out, it is important to have a low cost entry-level system, plus it will put more pressure on Nintendo which is now at the $150 price-point.

I would advise against this. go with the new 4g and a $50 gift card or whatever promotion you can find now and pay a little more. I had one RROD a week after the 30 days they give you. the new ones are worth a little extra cash and will almost certainly outlast a crap shoot refurbished unit from gamestop

[quote name='killa5k7']Was going to jump on this because I have NEVER owned an Xbox. There is just too much negative in this thread. I am most likely going to wait for the price drop. What size hd would one need if playing just games and downloading from live? I wouldn't be purchasing online content heavily but there are quite a few exclusives I would love to have and this 4gb model does not seem likely to have enough space for anything. 4gb is not that spacey nowadays. Also...not a big online fan. Never have been. I would most likely pick up the call of duties and never touch the online. Don't know if that factors into having a bunch of space.[/QUOTE]

I think alot of people, not without good reason, would never buy a refurbished 360 hardware due to past problems with the 360 and poor refurb jobs done by 3rd parties (like gamestop). Also people are focusing on the fact that it doesn't say it has HDMI, which means it may be an earlier, more problematic chip set. But in this case, since these have been refurbed by MS directly and have a proper 1 year warranty, at $100, in your case it might not be a bad deal (assuming you don't need a wireless internet connection). You aren't throwing down much cash and you can try everything out (while the 4gb model does online gaming, some games require a hard drive for online gaming, like halo reach with needs one for online co-op mode). While 20gb isn't a huge amount of space (you actually will only be able to use about 12gb of it, the system takes the rest), that's plenty for DLC and XBLA games and these older style drives are pretty cheap on ebay (120gbs can be had for $40-ish shiped) if you want to upgrade.

So it is a bit more risky from a reliability standpoint, but you aren't putting much cash into it....Even with the likely upcoming price drop, you'll be able to trade this in to GS during some promo event for $50 in the future if you don't care for it or if really dig it and want what the newer hardware offers.

[quote name='tttBARBWIREttt']wow horrible information here Listen,

end of 05 to 07 came the zenon with no hdmi and a 90 nm cpu and a 90 nm gpu, also a 203 watt power supply, these were the dreaded RROD consoles with high rate of failure.

end of 07 to end of 08 came the falcon with hdmi and 65 nm cpu and a 80 nm gpu lowering the power consumption to 175 watts these systems were more prone to e79 errors, which came from the hana scaling chip associated with the hdmi video playback but were alot more reliable.

end of 08 till present fat box are the jaspers with hdmi and 65 nm cpu and 65 nm gpu and there 150 watt power supplys, these are the holy grails of fat boxes, as there has been no cases of one dying from overheating.

The opus is a refurbished 360 that was a zenon and is basically a falcon without hdmi, Microsoft used all the returned 360's and replaced the motherboard, and cpu, upgraded the heatsinks, and used the xenon cases to make the refurbished opus. an opus has a 65 nm cpu and a 90 nm gpu reused from dead zenon's.[/QUOTE]

What's the horrible info?

For anyone interested here's a link that explains the various 360 revisions in detail:

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Revisions

[quote name='aerotive']What's the horrible info?

For anyone interested here's a link that explains the various 360 revisions in detail:

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/Xbox_360_Revisions[/QUOTE]

horrible info as follows, jaspers only have hdmi = lol

refurb's from MS are old in fact there opus's.

refurbs will die fast also lol;

also jaspers come with 60 gig, the first jaspers were arcades with built in 256 mb memory cards

[quote name='ral1121']No HDMI inputs as well.

If you are in need of a controller and headset, this isnt a bad price with an extra 360. You can install all your games and will create less heat for that RROD.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't show a headset included. I paid $400 for the PRO unit back in '06. Two RRoDs and I'm still on the 2nd refurb. MS sent me from Jan. '09.

I've never needed wireless as my system is close to my PC/router area. I'd be tempted to get this if I had the $$$ right now.

FYI, 20GB really = 13GB of usable space. Just keep that in mind.

I've got a SDTV with Component IN and the AV cables included would be adequate. Do they still ship non-HD composite cables with the newer units?

Edit: Amazon lists standard definition cables with the Slim 4GB models. :whistle2:? Wow.

I still have one of these lol... it actually worked for 2 1/2 years before it crapped out on me, 6 months later and I would have had to buy a new xbox.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Buying a non slim model 360 ( especially a refurbished one ) is the equivalent of buying a c4 explosive. I remember people combining the old 360's with the old niko intercoolers, boy did that unbeatable combination lead to horrible things lol[/QUOTE]

QFT ! :lol:

And if the sale has anything to do with Gamestop i'd stay far far away. Gamestop has their own dept that inspects and re-boxes used consoles. In other words you've been warned. :applause:

Wait guys didn't Microsoft say that the new update they released last week bricked this older model? Those affected get a new 250gb slim free.

[quote name='ral1121']No HDMI inputs as well.

If you are in need of a controller and headset, this isnt a bad price with an extra 360. You can install all your games and will create less heat for that RROD.[/QUOTE]

If you only play 2 games which is about all that will fit on a 20gb hdd. Otherwise you'll be spending all your time uninstalling and reinstalling games. Not that anymore is need to be said, I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']This doesn't show a headset included. I paid $400 for the PRO unit back in '06. Two RRoDs and I'm still on the 2nd refurb. MS sent me from Jan. '09.

I've never needed wireless as my system is close to my PC/router area. I'd be tempted to get this if I had the $$$ right now.

FYI, 20GB really = 13GB of usable space. Just keep that in mind.

I've got a SDTV with Component IN and the AV cables included would be adequate. Do they still ship non-HD composite cables with the newer units?

Edit: Amazon lists standard definition cables with the Slim 4GB models. :whistle2:? Wow.[/QUOTE]

I believe when Microsoft started shipping the Japser models they went from component cables to composite cables in the models with HD.

Microsoft really made Sony look bad at first, because they were selling a HD PS3 with composite cables, but now Microsoft is doing the same.

I suspect this is done to help cut the manufacturing cost, and perhaps make a profit on an additional accessories purchase, which is highly profitable...

[quote name='kingsnuff']Wait guys didn't Microsoft say that the new update they released last week bricked this older model? Those affected get a new 250gb slim free.[/QUOTE]

It only affects certain Xboxes, and it sounds as if isn't all that many. You will know if you get an error message when you try to play a DVD game...

[quote name='Needles-Kane']If you only play 2 games which is about all that will fit on a 20gb hdd. Otherwise you'll be spending all your time uninstalling and reinstalling games. Not that anymore is need to be said, I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.[/QUOTE]

Granted

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I suspect this is done to help cut the manufacturing cost, and perhaps make a profit on an additional accessories purchase, which is highly profitable...[/QUOTE]

Not only that, but most people use HDMI these days anyway

I have seen these refurbs at a BB recently also. I think it's not bad if you don't mind it not having an HDMI connection. While it probably does mean that there will be a price drop soon, I really think they just have so many systems that they figured why not fix them up and make a little money. Probably better than just tossing them.

[quote name='ibelongtohalo']I have seen these refurbs at a BB recently also. I think it's not bad if you don't mind it not having an HDMI connection. While it probably does mean that there will be a price drop soon, I really think they just have so many systems that they figured why not fix them up and make a little money. Probably better than just tossing them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was going through my BB and saw a random assortment of refurbished system and I raised an eyebrow. It's got me so pumped for E3.

bread's done
Back