Xbox 360 Pro (20GB) Refurb for $99 @ Gamestop (Ships June 1st)

[quote name='Chemosh013']Ya, but don't forget that it's not actually 20 GB of space. It's about 13 or 14 GB because a chunk is allocated for backwards compatibility purposes. So it really is almost useless to have if you want to install games on your HD (which you will on the older models because they're so looud).[/QUOTE]

I had the 20GB hard drive and never had any issues with space. I only used the HDD for my saves and some arcade games. I never installed games either as I never saw any benefits for that.

[quote name='oasisboy']I had the 20GB hard drive and never had any issues with space. I only used the HDD for my saves and some arcade games. I never installed games either as I never saw any benefits for that.[/QUOTE]

There isn't a major benefit if you're patient with most games' loading times, and you're not worrying about overheating. The first and only game I installed to HD was Splatterhouse, but that was because after you died the loading screen took like a minute... Was awful. It's not as BAD now. Regardless, I share my Xbox with my siblings/dad, so I saw the 250 GB as a necessity. Got a nice deal on the Holiday 2010 Slim bundle which I managed to buy with GCs, can't complain.

[quote name='oasisboy']3 year warranty?[/QUOTE]

Isn't it only 3 years if you bought it new? If its refurb you'll only get like 90 days. And I have had a refurb that Microsoft sent to replace my first RROD in summer 2008, RROD itself in April 2011 (almost 3 years).

[quote name='KoRuPT']Isn't it only 3 years if you bought it new? If its refurb you'll only get like 90 days. And I have had a refurb that Microsoft sent to replace my first RROD in summer 2008, RROD itself in April 2011 (almost 3 years).[/QUOTE]

Older style models when bought new have 1 year general warranty, and 3 year warranty on specific faults (RROD, E79, ect)

New Xbox S models have a 1 year general warranty.

The item in question is MS refurbished model that has a 1 year general warranty with it.

[quote name='Chemosh013']Ya, but don't forget that it's not actually 20 GB of space. It's about 13 or 14 GB because a chunk is allocated for backwards compatibility purposes. So it really is almost useless to have if you want to install games on your HD (which you will on the older models because they're so looud).[/QUOTE]

I know it is less than 20GB of space, that is why I previously stated

[quote name='oasisboy']I had the 20GB hard drive and never had any issues with space. I only used the HDD for my saves and some arcade games. I never installed games either as I never saw any benefits for that.[/QUOTE]

The reason to install games is to make it run quiet, not like a turbo jet engine. Definitely upgrade to 60GB ($30) if not 250GB (like the Woot deal for $55).

[quote name='XF Gator']The reason to install games is to make it run quiet, not like a turbo jet engine. Definitely upgrade to 60GB ($30) if not 250GB (like the Woot deal for $55).[/QUOTE]

It's not just quieter (and it is much, much quieter), but for most games there's a performance bonus. At the very least you're looking at shorter load times for a lot of games. I haven't played a single game without installing it in at least two years with the exception of a disc that was scratched and would fail the install at about 97%. I couldn't believe how loud it was after getting so used to installed games.

You also reduce wear and tear on your drive. I have an original Xbox with a drive that died. When it started to go I modded it so I could run my games off the hard drive. When the 360 came out my roommate got one. Just after the warranty expired the drive started failing. Luckily it was hit with the RROD before it completely died and was replaced for free. Optical drives are one of the most likely places for a computer (or console) to fail because of the moving parts. I try to use mine as little as possible.

I really recommend not getting this system. The old systems are louder (even when games are installed) and more prone to failure. The hard drive is way too small. I probably have a 100 GB of Arcade Games alone. Combined with retail games that I install, demos, etc. it goes quickly. I realize that's not typical, but even a friend of mine who only plays 4 or 5 games a year was struggling with space on his 20 GB launch console back in 2008. I'm guessing we'll see a price drop on the system at E3 and you'll be able to pick up a used or refurb S model for $100 soon after. Then, add your own drive.

[quote name='louiedog']It's not just quieter (and it is much, much quieter), but for most games there's a performance bonus. At the very least you're looking at shorter load times for a lot of games. I haven't played a single game without installing it in at least two years with the exception of a disc that was scratched and would fail the install at about 97%. I couldn't believe how loud it was after getting so used to installed games.

You also reduce wear and tear on your drive. I have an original Xbox with a drive that died. When it started to go I modded it so I could run my games off the hard drive. When the 360 came out my roommate got one. Just after the warranty expired the drive started failing. Luckily it was hit with the RROD before it completely died and was replaced for free. Optical drives are one of the most likely places for a computer (or console) to fail because of the moving parts. I try to use mine as little as possible.

I really recommend not getting this system. The old systems are louder (even when games are installed) and more prone to failure. The hard drive is way too small. I probably have a 100 GB of Arcade Games alone. Combined with retail games that I install, demos, etc. it goes quickly. I realize that's not typical, but even a friend of mine who only plays 4 or 5 games a year was struggling with space on his 20 GB launch console back in 2008. I'm guessing we'll see a price drop on the system at E3 and you'll be able to pick up a used or refurb S model for $100 soon after. Then, add your own drive.[/QUOTE]

I second this. ^ Also, I totally spaced on demos. A decent chunk of my 250 GB is saved for demos (silly as that sounds, I like downloading my demos at once instead of downloading/playing them one at a time).

Also, if you have a 4GB or even a 20GB, good luck joining/playing betas. I remember the Gears 3 beta was pretty close to 1 GB in itself.

GotY editions also don't go well with models without a big enough HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BobbyTastic']Is there 4GB leftover to be used after all the pre-installed crap, or is there even less? Either way I'm hoping this unit is phased out, $200 should net you closer to 20 GBs at least. 4GBs still seems like you're pushing it by having too much content from XBLM, download vouchers take up quite a bit of space if the content isn't locked on the disk.[/QUOTE]

Actually I believe it is 2.9GB free when you set up a new 4GB Xbox S.

Remember the first Xbox without a HD didn't have any flash storage at all, then it went to 256MB, 512MB, and now 4GB. It is plenty of space for those who just play DVD games and do limited downloads. I can't see any console right now being priced at $200 with a HD, $250 is more reasonable. Perhaps in the next year or so we can start seeing $200 HD systems...

I wonder what the refurbished without hard drives are going to cost, maybe less than $99 after this thing is released? I wouldn't mind a cheap refurbished Xbox 360 Arcade/Core with wired used controller as a back-up or secondary Xbox 360 to my 120GB elite.

HDMI isn't a big deal to me since I have a VGA cable. I'd like it to have 512MB installed, may not happen. Still hoping the memory units 64/256/512 MB price drop just to have another form of memory if the USB ports were to fail.

I was able to get a used Jasper at GameStop over the holidays for $99 without the HD. Until there is another price drop on the X360 I don't think you will be able to find a used/refirbished one selling for under $100.

The OP deal is very good if you want a HD, and the unit itself looks like new, and packed in a box simular to the regular retail version...

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I was able to get a used Jasper at GameStop over the holidays for $99 without the HD. Until there is another price drop on the X360 I don't think you will be able to find a used/refirbished one selling for under $100.

The OP deal is very good if you want a HD, and the unit itself looks like new, and packed in a box simular to the regular retail version...[/QUOTE]

I agree, its a good deal. I think GS guarantees these for 30 days or something. Maybe 90 days RROD from MS:

Limited Microsoft warranty - One Year Express Warranty on Console. - 90 Day Express Warranty on Accessories. - see Microsoft for specific terms of the limited warranty.

Its not such a bad deal. Besides if you are handy you can fix 90% of RROD problems yourself with a kit. I'm thinking of one as a second 360.

bread's done
Back