Xbox 360 Pro - Guaranteed 512 Jasper for 239.99 @ dell.com

[quote name='ICEPICC']
People also have to be smart. Make your room cool and play in a cool room. point a fan at the the 360 if you have to.[/QUOTE]

This.

People need to take in consideration the placement of their 360. My original 20gb RROD because I had it in my Ikea tv stand which basically had no airflow. Never doing that again.

i'm still playing on my 2005 XBOX 360.

I REPLACED 1 dvd drive and had 1 RROD.

i also installed a talismon high speed fan with a temperature / fan speed monitor.

now my elite needs some bolts and a new fan - just need the time to do it.

I've had my Xbox Pro for 2 years, no problems. Loving every minute of it, and even with a RROD or two I would still love this system to death. I might do this deal, however, and ebay my current one, just to upgrade the HD and have a new system.

[quote name='Esoteria']I've been going back and forth wanting to buy an 360 and not. The RROD still irks me to no end. I honestly don't understand why people fumed and pointed fingers at a $400 PS3 which comes with a decent sized hard drive, doesn't make you pay to play your games (which you paid for) online, and doesn't have a 30% chance to break.

Even if I got a 360 under warranty and it RROD'd, that's still probably a month or so that I don't have the console I paid for. Screw that. The only reason I even consider it is because, thanks to the general populace's failure to understand that $80 more for a console that WORKS and actually SUPPORTS 1080p in all incarnations is worth it, and thanks to the unbelievable following Halo has, many RPGs and other worthy games are 360 exclusive.

As it stands, based on the ridiculous numbers posted here regarding RROD issues, I'm back to not even considering it. I got my PS3 for $200 with the old Chase credit card deal and at least 80% of the games I want to play are on both consoles or PS3 exclusive (Valkyria Chronicles, thank you for justifying my purchase once and for all).

I know I sound like the dreaded, stigmatic "fanboy," but logic prevails, imo. I'm just sad that I have to miss out on some good RPGs.[/QUOTE]

I think if logic were to prevail, you would think about if you want to pay 240 bucks for the ability to play certain RPGs and other games. If your new 360 did break, then it will be repaired for free and you have your all powerful unbreakable (with better exclusives) PS3 to keep you busy for the 2-3 weeks.

[quote name='zeb06']Hmm I thought he was talking about calling bullshit on the $40 120gb HD (which he talked about in the 2nd paragraph). If not, yeah its been the big rumor that Aug 31st the Elite drops to $299...hoping this ends up being true, I still have a launch 20gb Pro that has not got RROD, I get the feeling that its days are numbered even though it has not given any signs.[/QUOTE]

I am in the same boat as you only my 360 has been showing signs. I even tried to get it to rrod and nothing. I thought about just sending it in but never did. I still think about doing it from time to time but I think the 3 years might be up now. If they are I'm just going to hold out till the elite gets cheaper and get it. It would be nice to see what the 360 looks like with hdmi.

[quote name='ICEPICC']i'm still playing on my 2005 XBOX 360.

I REPLACED 1 dvd drive and had 1 RROD.

i also installed a talismon high speed fan with a temperature / fan speed monitor.

now my elite needs some bolts and a new fan - just need the time to do it.[/QUOTE]

I have a launch day system, that has worked fine this entire time. It's louder than any piece of consumer electronics should be, but that's just how the older models sound. I pet the machine everyday and thank it for its continued decision to operate.

Hmm reading all of this makes me want to buy a 360, but also to not buy one.
waka said it pretty well, if the 360 does go bad the PS3 will keep one sustained, in the case one does have a PS3 (me)

Now my questions are
Is this model really a Jasper? -Hard to tell without looking at the box-
Good to buy it now? or wait for the Elite price drop? Maybe get Elite for 240?
Do I have to mod this, i.e. fans? bolts? (never owned or thought about a 360 before, just reading the posts about this stuff) Or is it just wise to, like a computer?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[quote name='ti33ii']Hmm reading all of this makes me want to buy a 360, but also to not buy one.
waka said it pretty well, if the 360 does go bad the PS3 will keep one sustained, in the case one does have a PS3 (me)

Now my questions are
Is this model really a Jasper? -Hard to tell without looking at the box-
Good to buy it now? or wait for the Elite price drop? Maybe get Elite for 240?
Do I have to mod this, i.e. fans? bolts? (never owned or thought about a 360 before, just reading the posts about this stuff) Or is it just wise to, like a computer?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks![/QUOTE]

yes this is a jasper

you dont have to mod anything till after 3 yr warranty is over.

the 360 is awesome, youve alreay missed out on all the fun so far.
its just money, if you dont spend it here youll spend it elsewhere.

[quote name='PointBlank771']Just buy a PS3. I'm not tryn to sound like a fanboy as I own a 360 as well, but I have had 4 RROD and after this last one goes out, I am completely done with putting money into a flawed product.[/QUOTE]

After the original Playstation problems i had over and over and over and over, im done with sony.....

[quote name='wakawakawa']I think if logic were to prevail, you would think about if you want to pay 240 bucks for the ability to play certain RPGs and other games. If your new 360 did break, then it will be repaired for free and you have your all powerful unbreakable (with better exclusives) PS3 to keep you busy for the 2-3 weeks.[/QUOTE]

This is a good point, and I realize it sounds like I'm just trying to trash the 360. It obviously has to be a pretty good system in terms of software to have even survived, much less flourished, even if you do take the general stupidity of consumers into account.

That said, I'm one of those people that has serious issues with breakages like this. Yes, I could get it repaired, but I simply should not have to. I happen to be a computer engineer and work closely with all levels of software and hardware, so I know that things can go wrong and with a fancy multi-core system in a small package like XBox 360s or PS3s, things are *bound* to go wrong, but the failure rate of 360s is downright unacceptable.

So you're right in saying that I should weigh whether the 200 some dollars is worth the RPGs I'd be getting, but I think the risk of the 360 breaking and how thoroughly ticked off that would make me (free repair or not) is an additional cost. I'm not satisfied that my PS3 or PC can hold me over. It's not about that. The fact is that nothing else in my house can get away with a 30%+ failure rate without me either returning it and moving to a different brand or starting a class action lawsuit against the manufacturer. I don't see why Microsoft's console should be any different.

And for the record, I am quite aware of the previous Playstation incarnations' issues. They were short lived. Not entirely forgivable, but short lived. The PS1's problems resulted in a class action settlement from which I benefited. The PS2's problems were well documented as being mostly due to very poor ventilation or conditions for the console, although, again, this doesn't really forgive it. But it doesn't make any sense to me to go to a different company's (horribly) broken console because previous generations of one company's consoles had issues.

I must say I really am amazed at how forgiving people are about 360's issues. I have a 360 myself but I'm pretty annoyed at being without a 360 for a few weeks. More on the principal of how Microsoft is handling it. There are many things they could (and IMO should) do because their customers are being inconvenienced.

1. Faster shipping (Apple and other companies do overnight or at least priority). Saying "well they have so many that would cost a fortune" isn't valid since the money should've gone into R&D to have a cooler running system in the first place.

2. Offer an option like EA did with RockBand 1 and it's equipment where you can give them a credit card and they'll send you a working equivalent. After xx days if they don't get it from you, they charge your card. Chances are you're not getting the same 360 anyway, so whats the difference? Again additional overhead on their part, but they should be treating their customers better considering just how widespread of an issue.

After not even 18 months of keeping a 360 on an open shelf in an apartment regularly cleaned, there's no reason that a system played a reasonable amount of time should fail. Sorry, know this is off topic from the dell deal, just my two cents.

I ordered mine from dell.com back in late February for $264. Call them on the phone, and act like you are somewhat interested, and they might cut you a better deal. The girl I talked to took an extra $20 off, plus free shipping...

[quote name='mikeja72']
After not even 18 months of keeping a 360 on an open shelf in an apartment regularly cleaned, there's no reason that a system played a reasonable amount of time should fail. Sorry, know this is off topic from the dell deal, just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

You're right, the thread should continue to be about the deal. Feeding fanboy trolls doesn't have a place here.

MS clearly has had some quality issues with the 360 but MS has taken steps to help ameliorate those problems and hopefully the newer designs will help to resolve most of the problems that developed over time on the early units. I know 8 people with 360s...some have had them for 3 years, others got them last year......so far out of this group, one has RROD'd, and that was one of the older units. And he got that replaced in relatively straightforward fashion that had a turnaround time of about 20 days. Yes, it would have been nice if it didn't fail, but that said, who hasn't had a cell phone, ipod, or a PC fail after 12 months and then simply got screwed because the warranty period had ended. At least MS has extended it out to 3 years, which is about as long as anyone can really expect a product to be backed up with a warranty.

For folks on the fence about the 360, do this.

Wait until Nov or so...there is likely to be a price drop and/or game bundle package out by then and there will probably also some gift card/'buy a system and also get a free controller' deals as well. Buy a 360 and try it out for a few months and get your game on...after 6 months, if you don't like it, sell it...the odds are you will get something close to your actual out of pocket cost once you factor in all the promotion items you got when you purchased in Nov/Dec...ie, you might end up paying only around $30-40 for the use of the system over 6 months. I've done this with the PS3 each year for 3 years running now....and last year, by milking the rarity of the 40gb Kojima bundle along with ebay/live.com cash back of 30%, I actually netted about $100 selling that PS3 after using it for six months. That's the CAG way of doing business!:)

I ordered this on 8/13, with the sales person guaranteeing a Jasper - received it yesterday, and it was a Falcon. Anyone who read this thread, ordered a Pro, and gets burned by this has my sincere apologies, as i was the original poster.

I sent the following email to dell customer support -

On 8/13 I contacted Dell support, through the chat option on the website, in order to find out more information about an XBOX 360 PRO console. My main concern was making sure that I got the newest chipset, as the console has been updated several times since its release. I talked to Abraham Rodriguez ([email protected]), who multiple times guaranteed me that it would be a new Jasper console (the designation of the newest chipset is Jasper). Your chat logs will confirm this. I was very clear in that this was the only console that I wanted, and every time I asked him, he 100% guaranteed that I would get the specific console that I wanted. When I received the console, it was not the newest chipset. Upon discovering this, I immediately called customer service, which was a very long, drawn out affair. I talked to no less than 14 representatives, many of whom spoke English very poorly, and were quite rude. All the customer service representatives told me that they couldn't guarantee anything about the consoles that shipped. This was in complete contradiction with what Abraham Rodriguez told me. The customer service representatives also told me that they could not access the chat logs, which I find very hard to believe. Those chat logs 100% confirm that Abraham Rodriguez guaranteed me an XBOX 360 with the newest chipset, and did so multiple times - there was no ambiguity. When I told a representative that I wanted to return the XBOX 360 - which was unopened (you could tell it wasn't the console I wanted by looking at the SKU info on the back of the box), I was told that if I did so, I would have to pay for all the shipping and a restocking fee, which would be 35+ dollars. I also wouldn’t get my refund until Dell received my console. In the end I was given a small discount on the purchase just to keep the console. I have never been more frustrated or upset about a purchase before. I have bought 2 computers from Dell, and my wife has done so as well – but after this experience, I will never shop with Dell again. I am telling all my friends in person, over facebook, and over internet forums about my experience, and recommending that no one ever shop with Dell again. You have lost a customer for life.

I pitched a bitch, and they dropped the price $35.00 - so a pro falcon for $205 isn't a terrible deal. I am just so frustrated, as the guy guaranteed me a jasper. I would have just went and bought an arcade at best buy where I could have checked myself, and a 60gb starter pack, had he just been honest.

Cool, I'll have to do that. I ended up keeping it because I wanted HDMI and a larger drive. (Selling my Zephyr 20GB console on eBay)

I ordered mine yesterday and got it today using regular shipping.

I think its a jasper. It has the "12V==12" number on the back. But in the storage menu it only list the hard drive, it doesn't show any internal flash memory.

[quote name='bubblebobble']I ordered mine yesterday and got it today using regular shipping.

I think its a jasper. It has the "12V==12" number on the back. But in the storage menu it only list the hard drive, it doesn't show any internal flash memory.[/QUOTE]

I believe internal memory is for Arcade systems only? Not sure though.

[quote name='bubblebobble']I think its a jasper. It has the "12V==12" number on the back. But in the storage menu it only list the hard drive, it doesn't show any internal flash memory.[/QUOTE]
Disconnect the hard drive, if you don't see the 512mb, then it doesn't have it.

interesting, jaspers replaced falcons 10 months ago?
and dell has been having a number of sales, you would think they'd have cycled out all of the old ones

[quote name='vherub']interesting, jaspers replaced falcons 10 months ago?
and dell has been having a number of sales, you would think they'd have cycled out all of the old ones[/QUOTE]
Unless they are getting a good price on old stock. I know they often have deals on older revisions, ie "Holiday Bundles", and etc. No proof obviously outside of trending.

[quote name='OGHowie']I believe internal memory is for Arcade systems only? Not sure though.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are correct seeing as it's the only model without an HDD and the memory is needed for NXE.

Instead of Jasper vs Falcon you should just cite the difference in internal memory, 256 vs 512. It's clearly not the product you ordered or that was advertised.

[quote name='vherub']interesting, jaspers replaced falcons 10 months ago?
and dell has been having a number of sales, you would think they'd have cycled out all of the old ones[/QUOTE]

Realistically, I don't think many people go to dell.com for their video game system shopping needs.

[quote name='coldlight']Falcon as well here. Good job on clearing stock for your employer OP :applause:[/QUOTE]
No dude, i got burned too. Go read my other posts.

[quote name='etschell']well this makes my 267 360 pro buy (with shipping and tax) back in January look all the more impressive.[/QUOTE]

still not as impressive as my 167 arcade in purchase in january though.

bread's done
Back