XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Nope. Was a new Elite I had less than a year. It was working perfectly fine, and then 2 minutes into Spectral Force it makes that loud grinding noise. Then it wouldn't read any discs at all.[/quote]

That sucks. Mine did it during soul calibur 4.

My PC DVD drive grinds so I am not worried about hearing another grind from the 360 lol.

The only thing that really got me worried is when my drive started becoming stealthly quite during call of duty 4, but now it's back to full speed.

I guess the on board memory on the 360 is not enough for developers so there is a constant streaming of data from the disc and it has to be at such a high speed for real time interaction causing the high noise.

I finally spent some time with my new(not a refurb) Falcon 360 they shipped me. Despite being a brand new console the thing is loud as hell. This is without a disc in. This is my fourth console and none of the first three made this much racket. I just picked up a 120GB drive in anticipation of installs to cut down on drive noise, but that is all for naught with the loud ass 360 they just shipped me. :( I wonder if I should call again.

God what a clusterfuck system.

[quote name='Corvin']
God what a clusterfuck system.[/quote]

This made me lol big time.

I don't think a "Loud System" would be considered as a red ring for them. Sorry.

It would fall under the general warranty though and seeing how mine expires in November and I'm on my fourth system, I don't think it's unreasonable to want a system of equal caliber as the last one I sent in.

since i got my repaired rrod 360 back.. i noticed at times the brightness is distorted. it'll flicker from a darker shade to being normal...its annoying. anyone else have this issue? i dont think its an lcd or vga cable issue.

[quote name='rly723']since i got my repaired rrod 360 back.. i noticed at times the brightness is distorted. it'll flicker from a darker shade to being normal...its annoying. anyone else have this issue? i dont think its an lcd or vga cable issue.[/quote]

You might want to call MS and report this. It would seem they sent you a unit with a faulty video port. Doesn't matter if it hasn't red ringed yet. They needed to send you a working 360 and instead they sent you a bad one. Give them a call.

OH BTW, i got mine on Friday.
It said "Xenon" on the box. This is def not mine. It doesn't sound like a lawnmower when I have a game in there!!

[quote name='ITDEFX']You might want to call MS and report this. It would seem they sent you a unit with a faulty video port. Doesn't matter if it hasn't red ringed yet. They needed to send you a working 360 and instead they sent you a bad one. Give them a call.[/QUOTE]

it was my original 360 that they repaired, couldve the video port been damaged during the repair. i didnt have this problem before it

[quote name='rly723']it was my original 360 that they repaired, couldve the video port been damaged during the repair. i didnt have this problem before it[/quote]

I would not be surprised if they fucked up something in the process.

[quote name='ninjaspeedrazor']Last night my 360 froze twice within 20 minutes, is this a sign of RROD? If so I may use my best buy replacement policy and get the new 60gb model.[/quote]

Freezing is an early sign that your 360 is heading towards a RROD. Depends how much you paid into when you bought it, you might just have enough for an Elite 120 gb.

My luck is horrible. Immediately after reading this thread, I went to play some Braid. I turned on my 360, nothing happened. The ring on my controller just blinked. Then, horrifically, the RRoD appeared. I did notice that my 360 kept freezing on the boot screen last night. I turned it off and back on, and its working again. I figure its days are numbered now. I have bad luck with consoles. My PS2 got the inevitable Disk Read Error, the hinge on my DS Lite cracked, and now this. I can't wait...

[quote name='Jagged Toaster']My luck is horrible. Immediately after reading this thread, I went to play some Braid. I turned on my 360, nothing happened. The ring on my controller just blinked. Then, horrifically, the RRoD appeared. I did notice that my 360 kept freezing on the boot screen last night. I turned it off and back on, and its working again. I figure its days are numbered now. I have bad luck with consoles. My PS2 got the inevitable Disk Read Error, the hinge on my DS Lite cracked, and now this. I can't wait...[/quote]

ha! braid killed my 360 too! was trying to play the demo and it said "use left stick to move" on the screen and the little bastard wouldnt move..i was like WTF? then i hit the guide button and nothign happened..i turned off the 360 with the power button and when it came back on it was deadzorz

anywho...yesterday i said screw it and bought another 360 (arcade)...ill use it as a media extender in the bedroom when the broke one gets back

I wonder what MS is going to give when someone Red Rings and they have a netflix account to view movies on the 360. Free 1 month XBL AND 1 month Netflix?

[quote name='ITDEFX']I wonder what MS is going to give when someone Red Rings and they have a netflix account to view movies on the 360. Free 1 month XBL AND 1 month Netflix?[/QUOTE]

You still get the bulk of your movies in the mail. Play now is a value added extra.

[quote name='Corvin']You still get the bulk of your movies in the mail. Play now is a value added extra.[/quote]

Oh well.

ok mine got the read ring. i called and everything i couldn't understand the guy all that well. but does this sound right, i'm going to get an e-mail with a shipping label and i have to provide my own box now? i heard wombat on the cagcast one night say that's what he got. so i take it this is how they are doing it now? if so how long does it take to get my e-mail? please help me guys i called sunday and i've been checking my e-mail very often to see if it's there.

You may want to call to check. The first time I called they put my email address in wrong. Once they corrected it I had my shipping label in about 3 hours.

They will give you a new reference number though, be prepared.

Woo Hoo! I got received at the service center today!!

I was getting worried as UPS delivered it last Friday.

Hopefully not too long now.

[quote name='Littlefields']What's up with the padding nowadays? You have to push out the folds yourself? Lazzy bastards...[/QUOTE]
I noticed that too. I ended up ripping them by accident. Luckily I had some extra ones from the last time my 360 broke. Wow, that's kind of sad...

I sent my 360 in, and my status on xbox.com went from 'Waiting for console' to having no record of me requesting a repair. When I enter in my repair ID on the site it comes up empty, but when I call the phone number my best pal 'Max' says 10-15 business days.

Should I be worried?

It is being shipped back now!

If it comes back as fast as it got there, I'll have it for the weekend. I'll know once UPS gets record of the tracking number.

Mine just got to the repair center today. Last time I got a console back a week, and 2 days from the day I mailed it hopefully this time it just as fast,but I doubt it since I want it back. I'm guessing around this time next week I should have it.

[quote name='GenghisJohn']I sent my 360 in, and my status on xbox.com went from 'Waiting for console' to having no record of me requesting a repair. When I enter in my repair ID on the site it comes up empty, but when I call the phone number my best pal 'Max' says 10-15 business days.

Should I be worried?[/quote]

Probably not, but if you want to talk to someone call the "special" number 866-506-3826 as quoted in the Op and you can talk to someone who isn't a computer or in a foreign call centre

ok just called them again because I didn't get my e-mail so we had to start the fuckin thing all over again. At this rate I should of just opted for them to send me a coffin but i didn't realize there were more than 1 option. But do you have to send it through ups to get it there when providing your own box? I have many USPS priority shipping boxes that would fit a 360 in so could i just send it through the post office or do i have to go to a ups store to do it?

[quote name='johnnyrocker360']ok just called them again because I didn't get my e-mail so we had to start the fuckin thing all over again. At this rate I should of just opted for them to send me a coffin but i didn't realize there were more than 1 option. But do you have to send it through ups to get it there when providing your own box? I have many USPS priority shipping boxes that would fit a 360 in so could i just send it through the post office or do i have to go to a ups store to do it?[/quote]

Easiest to get a box from them. Its a white box that has the proper packing materials. As far as I know the only way to send it is UPS because they pay for shipping and will have a prepaid label inside the box. The box should come fast (less than a week).

I had the same problem, only to wait a week. It's best to call back within a day if you don't receive the e-mail, or if you don't care about waiting 3-5 business days then request the box with the pre-paid label. Thank god for Persona 3:FES right now.

monsta mack that's the best fuckin avatar ever! LOL anyways i got the e-mail so now i have to wait until i get paid to go ship it from the ups store. as soon as i said xbox 360 to them over the phone at the ups store they said $12.12 to ship the package if they package everything. not a bad deal especially since i don't have any boxes around here. might as well have them do it since i have to drive to the damn place anyways which is 22 miles from my house. damn it.

So I booted up crackdown to goof off for a bit. Whenever I did it said my system data was corrupt....figured no big stuff happans must have just been my HD came loose and deleted it at some point or something odd....I wanted to start a new game anyways. However when I started playing the game and hit the first check point all of a sudden my system turned off and when I looked down I had the 3 red rings and my system wouldnt turn back on for a moment. After a 15 second or so delay it booted back up and everything is now working fine. Crackdown data is still missing but I just booted up Culdcept and Guitar Hero 3 and the data is there for them and they are playing fine too.

Was this possibly a hiccup or should I be finding my receipt and assuming my system is going to be RRoD on me soon here? Also incase it is the RRoD I should still be covered since I just bought my system last Christmas right?

It didn't take too long for mine to fully RROD after it did initially. Like you, I also thought it was a hiccup. May as well make the call now. You will not need to dig out the receipt.

wow MSI that's not cool.

Better call them up cause 1 (3 ring) RROD even once is something to worry about. Your hard drive *may* have developed a corrupt sector as well. That happened to me and Halo 3. Turns out my hard drive had a corrupt sector and caused Halo 3 to lock up my 360 when I tried to load any map.

Why, oh why do you toy with me so Microsoft? I have had a tracking number for the return shipment since Tuesday night, yet it just got picked up today. I won't have it until next Tuesday...

[quote name='ITDEFX']wow MSI that's not cool.

Better call them up cause 1 (3 ring) RROD even once is something to worry about. Your hard drive *may* have developed a corrupt sector as well. That happened to me and Halo 3. Turns out my hard drive had a corrupt sector and caused Halo 3 to lock up my 360 when I tried to load any map.[/QUOTE]

Ill call em tommorow and see what they have to say. I played on it all day with no problem after that incident(hell watching Futurama movie on it as I type this).

Hi Everyone,

I just received my replacement Xbox from MS. On the Purolator shipment box, it states "Xenon PRO." But the manufacturing date is 2008-06-28, BUT, I checked the behind the faceplate and it has the refurb sticker!

No HDMI.

Considering the manufacturing date, how can this be a refurb?
I also thought the newer 2008 manufactuing date Xbox's wouldn't be this "Xenon Pro."

Basically, does the manufacturing date mean anything?
Seems to me that I got a recently manufactured one with old technology!

I'd appreciate any clarification.

Thanks in advance.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
"yeah, please send it to microsoft, but DO NOT send the HDD, remove it and then send the 360 to M$ and then you'll get a new one with the Falcon chip installed onto it"

Someone at another board said this in a RRoD topic.....anyone heard anything about this? I would have never guessed you could send your console in without the HDD and not only get it fixed but also get back updated tech as a result.

GenghisJohn: No you shouldn't worry. My tracking number didn't show up on the UPS website until the following day and even then it was on Billing Info Received for almost 2 days.

jacobfan: I would imagine that the date is when they repaired the Xenon console they sent you.

After the repair dont they transfer the licenses over the new console for us?
Because the licenses on xbox.com are on a different ID than mine.
Right now I cant even play offline or game on my US account (Well it work if I turn sign on, on a second controller)

Edit: It seems that they didnt do it, do I have to do it for all my accounts?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSI Magus']Someone at another board said this in a RRoD topic.....anyone heard anything about this? I would have never guessed you could send your console in without the HDD and not only get it fixed but also get back updated tech as a result.[/quote]
You're not supposed to send that in general. That person was just saying that it's likely to get new tech now if you send yours in.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']GenghisJohn: No you shouldn't worry. My tracking number didn't show up on the UPS website until the following day and even then it was on Billing Info Received for almost 2 days.

jacobfan: I would imagine that the date is when they repaired the Xenon console they sent you.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply and reassurance

7 times i have called them

They said the would send an email with a label 3 times they never came

Four times they said they would send me a box no box ever came

no clue what to do frustrated with ms customer support help

Did you ever get a reference number from them? If you did, you best to check the RROD FAQ here for the escalations number to get someone higher up.

Did you go online for support? That seems to work better than calling. I had the e74 and just said it was the RROD. No problems getting a replacement.

bread's done
Back