XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Just be careful when you call in to report a RROD when you actually have a non-RROD problem. There is a *chance* when you send it in, they will actually test for a RROD and if they don't get one, they might ship it back to you or tell you that you have to pay $$$ for non rrod repairs.

My brand new Elite (175W) just got a RRoD after about 5 hours of use. I played 2 hours one day, watched a movie the next day and then just started the hard drive transfer process today when I got it. I was trying to be proactive and now I have a mess to deal with. My pre-launch (Mt. Dew) 360 is still running just fine but is nearing the warranty expiration (Dec).

Fastest new console death ever? I know refurbished one can die quick, but a new console in less then a week? Sounds like you got a dud.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just be careful when you call in to report a RROD when you actually have a non-RROD problem. There is a *chance* when you send it in, they will actually test for a RROD and if they don't get one, they might ship it back to you or tell you that you have to pay $$$ for non rrod repairs.[/QUOTE]

See im glad I waited vs just sending it in and assuming it was gonna die as others said. Its been about 4 days now and it hasnt red ringed on me since.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Fastest new console death ever? I know refurbished one can die quick, but a new console in less then a week? Sounds like you got a dud.[/QUOTE]

That sucks but my 2nd 360 was bricked with an E7 error within 5 minutes of being hooked up in Oct. 06.

OK, I sent in my system and tracking shows that it arrived last night. I checked the repair status this morning and it said they had received my console. I checked again this afternoon, and it said "Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you."

That is less than a 24 hour turnaround. But I am concerned because before I sent my system in, my xbox would sometimes get 3 red rings, and sometimes I would get 1 red ring. It was out of warranty for 1 red ring, and I chose the 3 Red Ring problem when contacting repair which was free. What I am afraid of is that when they tested it they got 1 red ring, and now are just sending my broken xbox back to me since it is out of warranty for 1 red ring. I mean, it does say "Your console has been repaired or replaced," but that is probably what it says by default when they ship it back.

Is 24 hour turnaround unheard of for them repairing/replacing the console? Do you guys think they really repaired/replaced it or do you think they are just returning my broken xbox? Any thoughts?

Thanks

[quote name='Fatal Snipe']OK, I sent in my system and tracking shows that it arrived last night. I checked the repair status this morning and it said they had received my console. I checked again this afternoon, and it said "Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you."

That is less than a 24 hour turnaround. But I am concerned because before I sent my system in, my xbox would sometimes get 3 red rings, and sometimes I would get 1 red ring. It was out of warranty for 1 red ring, and I chose the 3 Red Ring problem when contacting repair which was free. What I am afraid of is that when they tested it they got 1 red ring, and now are just sending my broken xbox back to me since it is out of warranty for 1 red ring. I mean, it does say "Your console has been repaired or replaced," but that is probably what it says by default when they ship it back.

Is 24 hour turnaround unheard of for them repairing/replacing the console? Do you guys think they really repaired/replaced it or do you think they are just returning my broken xbox? Any thoughts?

Thanks[/quote]

Hmm... strange. They received my console just 2 days ago. This morning they said they're sending it back to me too. I was expecting 1-2 weeks. Well at least I'm not alone. Maybe they're speeding up the process and just sending us replaced consoles?

As long as they are sending me back a repaired/replaced one and not my broken one I am happy. Good to know that others experienced quick service too, makes me feel better.

EDIT: !! I just noticed something. On the repair status is used to say Out of Warranty, but now it says In Warranty! I guess I'm not just getting my broken xbox back... awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
got my 360 back today (pretty quick turnaround compared to my first time)...the homecomeing wasn't exciting considering I bought another 360 as a backup

[quote name='Fatal Snipe']

Thanks[/QUOTE]

It is not unheard of. More than likely you are getting a refurbished unit.

[quote name='jman619']All my arcade games appear as titles. How do I fix this? I want to play them offline...[/quote]

eh?

is this a RRoD Question?

Didn't they fix this DRM issue already?

Will they send a tracking number for the repaired console? If so, how long after the the status says shipped until I should expect it?

[quote name='ITDEFX']eh?

is this a RRoD Question?

Didn't they fix this DRM issue already?[/QUOTE]

DRM is still a problem because of the 12 month rule (plus no movies), but it's a step in the right direction.

they did an article on the arcade licenses in the most recent oxm.

my new hdmi unit i bought in january just died, so much for the new units not overheating...

Is my red ring coming soon?

I turned on my system last night and got some weird lines across the screen along with a nice screeching noise. I restarted about 10 times total (only got 1 red ring) and then the system worked flawlessly for about an hour. I also later turned it on and played for another hour or so...and it was fine. Is this the beginning of the end?

[quote name='Fatal Snipe']Will they send a tracking number for the repaired console? If so, how long after the the status says shipped until I should expect it?[/QUOTE]

It took about a week to get mine after it said shipped. Your tracking number will be on xbox.com when it is assigned.

My 360 froze today while downloading the Force Unleashed demo (I blame George Lucas.) It then proceeded to show the three red rings upon booting.

This is my second 360. Had my first one replaced by Microsoft after it got the three red rings about 2 years ago.

Fortunately, it happened now, as my extended 3-year warranty expires in December.

got my first RROD today after playing a bit of COD4.

was able to turn on the console on and off just fine and did it a few times. than i left it on for like 5 minutes and when i turned it off got the RROD again, and stayed that way.

i'm glad cause my disc tray was messed up and wouldn't eject properly.

[quote name='Gnomes and Pie']My 360 froze today while downloading the Force Unleashed demo (I blame George Lucas.) It then proceeded to show the three red rings upon booting.

This is my second 360. Had my first one replaced by Microsoft after it got the three red rings about 2 years ago.

Fortunately, it happened now, as my extended 3-year warranty expires in December.[/quote]

LOL what does George Lucas have to do with the Red Ring of Death?

Mine crapped out on me tonight as well.
I am gonna buy replacement system to use while this one is being fixed, so
can I switch my HDD to the new system and keep playing without any problems
or will I need to transfer the data from my current HDD to the new system HDD?

[quote name='Khondor']Mine crapped out on me tonight as well.
or will I need to transfer the data from my current HDD to the new system HDD?[/quote]

It depends on what you plan on doing with the old system. I plan on selling my old system once I get my new one back, so I went ahead and transferred everything over to my new HDD.

In your case you'll need to make sure you are connected to Live or transfer the licenses.

[quote name='Khondor']Mine crapped out on me tonight as well.
or will I need to transfer the data from my current HDD to the new system HDD?[/quote]

i bought an arcade and am just swapping the hdd when/if i use the other one

[quote name='jman619']I got a refurb back wensday so far it works great,but the last refurb I got crapped out ofter a month. Has anyone got a refurb that lasted a long time?[/quote]

Mine lasted 18 months before failing me. Lasted longer than my new one (bought dec. 2005 and lasted 1 year). To be fair, I used less often the refurb because I was scared to get another 3ROD. It happened anyway a week ago.

I was reading on the interwebz that "Opus" repaired consoles were more reliable. Whats the indication that my repaired console would be a Opus?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I was reading on the interwebz that "Opus" repaired consoles were more reliable. Whats the indication that my repaired console would be a Opus?[/QUOTE]
Opus is just a Falcon without HDMI, so they can put new-ish technology in the older consoles.

[quote name='guinaevere']Is there a reason this isn't currently stickied?[/quote]

Hmm Good question..

Maybe I need to have the 30k viewed achievement unlocked to do so?

My 360 went belly up Friday night, single flashing light, E74 message. I know its not a RRoD, that happened to me last year.
E 74 is not covered so I will have to pay, unless...I tell M$ that i RRod'ed. Its dishonest, I know, but its dishonest to sell piece of shit consoles that break REGULARLY.
Besides the moral dilemma, does anyone see other reasons this may not be good. Maybe the problem won't be fixed correctly. Or they'll catch me and send men in green suits to my house to take me away (to fix real RRod's).
Has anyone else done this? or would you?
any comments/criticisms are appreciated.
Thanks guys!

[quote name='Energy Penguin']My 360 went belly up Friday night, single flashing light, E74 message. I know its not a RRoD, that happened to me last year.
E 74 is not covered so I will have to pay, unless...I tell M$ that i RRod'ed. Its dishonest, I know, but its dishonest to sell piece of shit consoles that break REGULARLY.
Besides the moral dilemma, does anyone see other reasons this may not be good. Maybe the problem won't be fixed correctly. Or they'll catch me and send men in green suits to my house to take me away (to fix real RRod's).
Has anyone else done this? or would you?
any comments/criticisms are appreciated.
Thanks guys![/quote]

my first 360 E74'd and I calles MS CS and told them it was RRoD and it got fixed for free out of warranty

[quote name='mitch079']Saw a RROD on the display 360 at a walmart, took a pic for shits and giggles.[/quote]

Post it!

I thought I was done with this thread. My original 360 died 3 times, I said screw it and bought a new arcade unit and sold my repaired model. The arcade unit has been gong strong until tonight:
Playing Ticket To Ride and the screen locks and graphics get blocky.
re-boot and freezes during start-up, again with blocky graphics.
re-boot again and playing fine for about 4-5 minutes locks up, same problem.
re-boot and play a few XBLA games for 15 minutes, no problems.
Is it just a mater of time till this one dies? No rings have appeared or error codes...yet.

I have had zero problems with my arcade unit, but one thing that I am curious if this has any bearing on my current situation. I unplugged my power cord from the 360 while I was doing some remodeling for a few days. This was the first play session I have had since plugging it back in. I know 99.9999% of any electronics this shouldn't have any ill effect, but this is the 360 we are talking about so I thought I'd ask.

[quote name='Malik112099']my first 360 E74'd and I calles MS CS and told them it was RRoD and it got fixed for free out of warranty[/quote]

Thanks Mailk, im gonna call xbox today and tell them i RRODed, hope it doesn't take four months like last time

Just got off the phone with M$, they are sending me a shipping label. They did tell me if they find it is not RRoD, they will contact me and fix it for $99, but the agent "believed" that I had experienced RRoD. I hope their hardware department is as oblivious as the rest of M$ and they just send me a refurb.

I traded for a used X360 Pro recently and so far, so good.

I had purchased a Nyko Intercooler about a month ago from Gamestop during the 25% off accessory coupon, so I can't return that after reading the damage that thing does to 360s...

[quote name='Energy Penguin']Just got off the phone with M$, they are sending me a shipping label. They did tell me if they find it is not RRoD, they will contact me and fix it for $99, but the agent "believed" that I had experienced RRoD. I hope their hardware department is as oblivious as the rest of M$ and they just send me a refurb.[/quote]

I got E74 with 1 red light a couple weeks ago, and I told them it was a RROD too (I was out of warranty too). I sent it in and had no problems at all. The repair status page went from "Received" to "Shipped" within 24 hours of them receiving it.

It's coming today and the mail and I know it's actually a new one because the repair status page now says that it is "In Warranty." So look for it to say that after they ship it back so you can know if they are really sending a different xbox back.

And I have been seeing tons of people get E74 lately. My Xbox 360 broke within an hour of that update. I think that dashboard update that was a few weeks ago is the reason. Either they changed what the Xbox 360 considers 3 red lights vs 1 red light, or the update is causing the E74 problem.

Never ever tell them It's a one light of pwnage. Always complain of the three red lights of doom. Worst comes to worst you'll have to pay 100$.

How many people had their falcons fail besides Chasemurata and the guy that got a DUD from Dell?

"Dude... your getting a DUD!"

Yeah that was cruel and lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back