XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='igotnodough']I got the same thing. I used xbox.com's shipping label, then received another ups label from auto-notify@ups. My sent package, with xbox.com's label, has reached Mesquite, Texas, but Xbox.com has not updated the repair status.

Is the e-mail the tracking number for when it gets back to us?[/QUOTE]
For this reason, I'm waiting a day to see if I get an email from UPS ... that and I need to find a box.

Got my second replacement a couple days ago. Sent in a Arcade that was manufactured in Dec. '07 and failed with the rrod error. They were quicker this time, took nine days to get back an Arcade with a service date of Dec '09. This one has the internal memory while my old one didn't. Used my own box to ship out in order to lessen the turnaround time.

All in all I suppose two failures in a bit over three years is pretty good given that I use the system fairly heavily.

[quote name='igotnodough']I got the same thing. I used xbox.com's shipping label, then received another ups label from auto-notify@ups. My sent package, with xbox.com's label, has reached Mesquite, Texas, but Xbox.com has not updated the repair status.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Mine hasn't reached them, yet, but it is clearly in UPS's system, and Xbox.com has yet to update. According to the flowchart response e-mail I got back from them, the site can take awhile to update, but I don't know. Seems unlikely. Anyway, you're apparently a little further ahead of me, considering your system has reached Texas. Keep us up-to-date. If everything goes fine with yours, I'll feel a bit more secure. Like I said, I would assume we're fine, considering the service numbers are the same. Once it gets to their facility, it would be entered in their system according to the service number.

My elit bit the dust today , with the damn e-74 error and with Bioshock 2 coming out soon. Tried the towel trick and no luck guess its time to call M$. I also tried the trick that mis0 posted and no luck fuck.

EDIT: i just realized that i bought a prp from Gamestop, i'm going there tomorrow and see if they will let me exchange it for a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft replaced my 360. I sent in a Falcon and they gave me a Jasper...

My question is, can I use my old power supply and cables with the Jasper?

[quote name='will530']Microsoft replaced my 360. I sent in a Falcon and they gave me a Jasper...

My question is, can I use my old power supply and cables with the Jasper?[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it's a Jasper? That's awesome!

And yes, the power supplies and cables are all forward compatible (I think that's the direction I mean to say...like the old ones work with the new systems).

[quote name='will530']Microsoft replaced my 360. I sent in a Falcon and they gave me a Jasper...

My question is, can I use my old power supply and cables with the Jasper?[/QUOTE]More curious question.

Is it a Jasper with or without built-in storage?

is there anything new/different to report to update my FAQ? I've had my Jasper/Arcade working with no problems for over a year now. Dash board is a bit slow when it the guide button, but other than that, it's fine.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Are you sure it's a Jasper? That's awesome!

And yes, the power supplies and cables are all forward compatible (I think that's the direction I mean to say...like the old ones work with the new systems).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the voltage thingy reads 12V~12.1A and the mfg. date is 12/17/2009 :D

[quote name='will530']Yeah, the voltage thingy reads 12V~12.1A and the mfg. date is 12/17/2009 :D[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that's mfg date, and not 'service date'? Look again.

[quote name='dragonjud']Are you sure that's mfg date, and not 'service date'? Look again.[/QUOTE]

You're right, sir - it's the svc date. Sorry, I was a RROD virgin a month ago so I'm not too familiar with these things

[quote name='shrike4242']More curious question.

Is it a Jasper with or without built-in storage?[/QUOTE]

Just booted it up. It's the one with 512MB built-in storage.

Good news! I just got an e-mail saying it was received, so I checked the status of it and it says its in repair. That might not mean much though. I looked around various forums and they usually say repair status is always wrong anyway.

[quote name='igotnodough']Good news! I just got an e-mail saying it was received, so I checked the status of it and it says its in repair. That might not mean much though. I looked around various forums and they usually say repair status is always wrong anyway.[/QUOTE]
Does anyone know if they really "repair" the unit or do they just set it aside and send out a refurb? I just can't see that they sit down with every unit that comes through the door and do the testing / repair.

[quote name='igotnodough']Good news! I just got an e-mail saying it was received, so I checked the status of it and it says its in repair. That might not mean much though. I looked around various forums and they usually say repair status is always wrong anyway.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping us updated! Glad to know everything should be fine with mine, then.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Does anyone know if they really "repair" the unit or do they just set it aside and send out a refurb? I just can't see that they sit down with every unit that comes through the door and do the testing / repair.[/QUOTE]

Most times, you'll get a refurb. The first time, I actually got back a slightly older console than I had sent out, and the disc drive was loud as hell.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Most times, you'll get a refurb. The first time, I actually got back a slightly older console than I had sent out, and the disc drive was loud as hell.[/QUOTE]When I had to send in my Pro 20GB that was under MS Extended Warranty in July, they sent back the same console, not a refurb.

When I get back my Elite from its E64 error (DVD drive wouldn't read any discs) sometime next week, I'd expect it to be the same console again, since it's under MS factory warranty. I'd be surprised if they did a console swap for a console that was just recently purchased and just needs a DVD swap.

MS Extended Warranty meaning the 3 year RROD warranty?

I now see under My Registered Consoles is an Xbox Exchange Pro with serial number 500.................
My previous console's serial was 520............... Does this mean I got an older one in return?

[quote name='igotnodough']MS Extended Warranty meaning the 3 year RROD warranty?

I now see under My Registered Consoles is an Xbox Exchange Pro with serial number 500.................
My previous console's serial was 520............... Does this mean I got an older one in return?[/QUOTE]MS Extended Warranty as in the $59.90 for two additional years of warranty that covers everything. Not the 3RROD warranty.

so I got the E73 screen today. It's an Elite from the Holiday Bundle (Kungfu Panda/Lego Indy) bought in Nov/Dec of 2008. I just registered the serial # and the warranty is over.

Is it true E73 is not covered the the extra 3 year extension like E74 so I'll have to pay?

So my buddy's 360(Which I have right now) has the lovely "Open Tray" error. Got it for Xmas '08. Started having this issue like 2 weeks after Xmas '09. Microsoft would not repair it for free, claiming there was no way they could force it through, and they had nobody that could do it(Called the Escalated support number I found on consumerist). Only thing(s) he recommended was pray it red rings, or hope that Microsoft covers the disc drive in the 3 year warranty. Not exactly happy, as they would not budge on the fact that it was barely two three weeks since the warranty expired, and I'd have to fork the same dough over for something that happened a year past warranty, when it's a somewhat of a known issue.

First question: Has anybody had success getting MS to do an out of warranty non-E74/RRoD repair for free?

Second question: What's the easiest/safest method to ease the 360 into RRoD'ing on me?

My 360 E74ed almost two weeks ago but I've still been able to boot it up every time by stepping on/punching it. Based on that fact alone.. I think I can repair it pretty easy.

The thing is, the warranty seal is still intact so I'm a little hesitant about opening it up. My 360 was manufactured way back in 8/2006. I purchased it used off a pretty legit CAG here just this past fall who said he sent it in once to get it repaired or something. So yeah, spend money to repair an old ass 360 or just cough up the extra cash and buy a new one?

So yeah, what do y'all think I should do? Send it in and get it repaired.. or.. open it up myself and see what I can do? Do note that the 360 is no longer under warranty so I'd have to pay the cost of repair. I should also note that I only paid $120 shipped for the console and all the extras.

Anyone even know how much an E74 repair would cost?

Edit:
@Vash. The best advice I've gotten for preventing any hardware failure is to keep the 360 horizontal and keep it elevated with something to allow the vents to function properly. I personally use a VHS tape to keep it off the ground. Also, I invested in an Intercooler from Nyko which rules hard. It's pretty loud.. but the loudness is comparable to the 360 itself when running a disc. Many people swear off the Intercooler but I think it's because it received a bad rep a long time ago. It has it's own power supply now and my almost 4 year old 360 runs cooler than my PS3.

[quote name='mis0']My 360 E74ed almost two weeks ago but I've still been able to boot it up every time by stepping on/punching it. Based on that fact alone.. I think I can repair it pretty easy.

The thing is, the warranty seal is still intact so I'm a little hesitant about opening it up. My 360 was manufactured way back in 8/2006. I purchased it used off a pretty legit CAG here just this past fall who said he sent it in once to get it repaired or something.

So yeah, what do y'all think I should do? Send it in and get it repaired.. or.. open it up myself and see what I can do? Do note that the 360 is no longer under warranty so I'd have to pay the cost of repair. I should also note that I only paid $120 shipped for the console and all the extras.

Anyone even know how much an E74 repair would cost?

@Vash. The best advice I've gotten for preventing any hardware failure is to keep the 360 horizontal and keep it elevated with something to allow the vents to function properly. I personally use a VHS tape to keep it off the ground. Also, I invested in an Intercooler from Nyko which rules hard. It's pretty loud.. but the loudness is comparable to the 360 itself when running a disc. Many people swear off the Intercooler but I think it's because it received a bad rep a long time ago. It has it's own power supply now and my almost 4 year old 360 runs cooler than my PS3.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to prevent hardware failure. I want to induce it, so MS will fix it without trying to charge me 100 dollars for something being two weeks out of warranty, when I can go get a new arcade for 200.

[quote name='shrike4242']When I had to send in my Pro 20GB that was under MS Extended Warranty in July, they sent back the same console, not a refurb.

When I get back my Elite from its E64 error (DVD drive wouldn't read any discs) sometime next week, I'd expect it to be the same console again, since it's under MS factory warranty. I'd be surprised if they did a console swap for a console that was just recently purchased and just needs a DVD swap.[/QUOTE]

Well, for what it's worth, I didn't have the extended warranty, but my first 360 died within the first year, so it was still fully covered by Microsoft, and they sent me a refurb.

Those of you who think you're getting the same exact console back, do not be fooled. Your S/N console number will be the same. However, the innards of the console are different. All they do is put your old shell around a refurb unit, and that makes you think you're getting the same console.
99% of the time you're likely to get a refurb.

Mine arrived in TX on Wednesday and shipped back out today. I just hope I get completely new innards (including DVD drive) because the last one I got was a POS and went out in less than a year.

[quote name='dragonjud']Those of you who think you're getting the same exact console back, do not be fooled. Your S/N console number will be the same. However, the innards of the console are different. All they do is put your old shell around a refurb unit, and that makes you think you're getting the same console.
99% of the time you're likely to get a refurb.[/QUOTE]

A trick would be to mark your shell with something like a pen mark on the bottom or the side and make it look like a scuff mark from normal wear and tear and see if the system comes back with the same scuff mark.

just RROD'd for the second time in 3 and a half years this morning (which i consider quite good, actually), but since i was out of warranty, i just went and got a new system. the bitch is going to be the re-downloading of stuff.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, for what it's worth, I didn't have the extended warranty, but my first 360 died within the first year, so it was still fully covered by Microsoft, and they sent me a refurb.[/QUOTE]I received an email yesterday about my system being sent back, though it's not showing any tracking info beyond the billing information being received. So, instead of shipping it out in Friday like they could have, it gets to sit on a loading dock in TX over the weekend. :roll:

And I just checked the serial number under the console information under Xbox.com, and it's a different serial number. :bomb: Though, according to the License Transfer page, they should have done the license transfer from their side, though I'm thinking I need to download everything, all over again, which I already did after the drive swap from the 120GB drive to the new 250GB drive. :wall:

Time to see if MS has a fucking clue if I have to go through it again with redownloading everything again, or if I'm OK since they did it.

How do I know how much time is left on my warranty?

I bought a 360 in October of 07 and sent it in earlier this month. Does my RROD warranty renew or does it remain set until October?

[quote name='igotnodough']How do I know how much time is left on my warranty?

I bought a 360 in October of 07 and sent it in earlier this month. Does my RROD warranty renew or does it remain set until October?[/QUOTE]

I posted this a few pages back. Probably good info to add to the OP if it is still being updated

[quote name='XBOX Website']
New Post-Service Warranty

If we repair your Xbox 360 within the original warranty period, you will receive either the balance of your original warranty, or 90 days, whichever is longer. In addition, we will pay for the shipping both ways.
If we repair your Xbox 360 after the warranty period has expired, while you will be responsible for the repair costs, you will receive either the balance of your original warranty (if it has not yet expired for all conditions), or one year, whichever is longer.
[/QUOTE]

So you don't get another 3 years, you get the balance of what you had left on the warranty or 90 days whichever is longer.

My 360 received an E74 error today as I was playing ME2 so I am sending my system off tomorrow. I kept the HD here like I was instructed to but my question is about DLC.

I notice a lot of people saying they had to re-download DLC after getting a new console back. When you re-download the DLC is that just like a few 100kb to get license info or do you truly have to re-download the whole DLC file?

It doesn't take up any additional space on your hard drive. It's basically just tying the content to your new system. You don't necessarily have to do it. The profile that the content was purchased on can still use it as long as you are signed into Live. But if you happen to experience periodic issues with your internet provider or there are people who use your 360 on different accounts, you'll want to download the stuff. It's a major hassle, because you have to go through your entire list of content. So, I stopped after a few items.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']I posted this a few pages back. Probably good info to add to the OP if it is still being updated

So you don't get another 3 years, you get the balance of what you had left on the warranty or 90 days whichever is longer.[/QUOTE]
So I have a 90 day regular warranty, but does that mean my RROD warranty expires in October?

[quote name='igotnodough']So I have a 90 day regular warranty, but does that mean my RROD warranty expires in October?[/QUOTE]

Since the repair happened in the original warranty period you get either your original warranty or 90 days from the RRoD repair, whichever is longer. Since the born on date for your 360 is October 2007 that gives you until October 2010 on the original warranty which is a longer period than 90 days from when you sent your system in for repair (January 2010).

Got my 360 back after 11 days. Different unit and seems to boot a bit faster; not sure if it's a different chipset or that mine was so jacked that I didn't notice it being slow. Regardless, I'm back up and running without a hiccup in the process.

[quote name='igotnodough']How do I know how much time is left on my warranty?

I bought a 360 in October of 07 and sent it in earlier this month. Does my RROD warranty renew or does it remain set until October?[/QUOTE]For RROD errors, it's October 2010. For anything else, it's 90 days from the date you receive it back.

Just got a red ring on my 37 month old console:( Not sure if I should send it in for repairs or buy a new arcade. With a new arcade I spend an extra $100, but get another 3 yr warranty, an extra controller, and a newer system less likely to break down. Also, I wouldn't have to wait 3 weeks.

I don't mind waiting so much, but I'm just worried my repaired 360 will keep dying. Anyone have any advice?

P.S. The towel trick worked in the meantime, though it still crashes every hour or so.

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Just got a red ring on my 37 month old console:( Not sure if I should send it in for repairs or buy a new arcade. With a new arcade I spend an extra $100, but get another 3 yr warranty, an extra controller, and a newer system less likely to break down. Also, I wouldn't have to wait 3 weeks.

I don't mind waiting so much, but I'm just worried my repaired 360 will keep dying. Anyone have any advice?

P.S. The towel trick worked in the meantime, though it still crashes every hour or so.[/QUOTE]

I'm sending mine in tomorrow...if it keeps breaking then i might decided on just getting a new arcade.

My second 360 just got a RRoD a few days ago. My three-year warranty has expired. I don't really want to give Microsoft $100 to repair my console. Basically, am I screwed and pretty much have to buy a new console?

Yeah. I mean personally I'd rather spend $200 on a new system than $100 on a refurb (and probably an older model refurb).

Remember you can use the hard drive from your existing model if you want, and you *might* be able to get some trade in credit from Gamestop even though it's broken. I just explained what was going on with mine and they still gave me I think $50 (about half what they normally do, I think). Sounded like some ways it breaks they might not buy it, but worth a shot, and makes it

My console was reported as delivered on Friday via UPS but the repair status has yet to update and it still says "Waiting for Console", should I be concerned? Or does the website not update very often?

bread's done
Back