XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Well onyx you have it still showing up on the xbox website so I'm sure you can the tracking number still. If not than just give my xbox a call and get it. For me I don't even have that since I have a new xbox to deal with and I just want to have a tracking number so I know where it's at >_

I just wanted to check with you guys, this is the RROD, right? It can't be a loose AV plug or anything else? It works okay now, but that won't last, right?

picture0075rrod244.jpg

Ugh, this 360 is 4 days old with less than 6 hours game time.

4 Days old huh hmmm what's the date it was made on the back where the serial is and the lot number and team name? I just want to know because first time I've seen someone buy an xbox brand new and and bam rrod.

But yes that's 100% RROD

Edit:: I Remember that you made that thread about to buy an xbox or to wait it out, but man I'm sorry for the bad luck >_

[quote name='rickdom']I just wanted to check with you guys, this is the RROD, right? It can't be a loose AV plug or anything else? It works okay now, but that won't last, right?

picture0075rrod244.jpg

Ugh, this 360 is 4 days old with less than 6 hours game time.[/quote]

Come on MS, get your shit together. 3 years later and this happens 6 days after first boot!

that is in fact the RRoD, the only thing i can think of that would really cause it would be that it was returned under a warranty because of the RRoD and someone put it back out on the floor by mistake. honestly i have never heard of one getting the RRoD that fast other than getting one back from MS that way.

i say take it back to wherever you bought it from as soon as possible and get it swapped out since it hasn't even been a full week. sorry to see that was basically your first experience with a 360, it is a very good system other than the failure problems.

Kinda stumped about where to ask this but I suppose this thread has a fair number of people who will need to do the same thing soon enough...

How hard is it to relicense your old Xbox Live stuff to a new/refurbished console? Does the link over on the Xbox support page work well? I'm not in the position of having to do this yet (Xbox is still in Texas getting fixed/replaced) but once it gets back I'd like to be able to play my stuff offline if necessary.

[quote name='Halo05']Kinda stumped about where to ask this but I suppose this thread has a fair number of people who will need to do the same thing soon enough...

How hard is it to relicense your old Xbox Live stuff to a new/refurbished console? Does the link over on the Xbox support page work well? I'm not in the position of having to do this yet (Xbox is still in Texas getting fixed/replaced) but once it gets back I'd like to be able to play my stuff offline if necessary.[/quote]

Theres a transfer toll on xbox.com somewhere, is very simple and pain free.

well i called the 1800 My Xbox #. i was doing it for my cousin, his 360 went RROD. it wasn't bad, but the lady was like u have to print a label out, im like u don't send boxes anymore, and she was like "so yea we are gonna need ya to print the label out,etc". i swear she was reading everything off a list. it was horrid. i got my reference #. ill probably call that 866 # on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='rickdom']I bought my new 360 Arcade 4 days ago, and I've already got a Red Ring, 3 flashing lights. I waited a while, and it started to work normally. Should I wait and see or should I return it to Circuit City as fast as possible?[/QUOTE]

Take that shit back asap!

[quote name='Halo05']Kinda stumped about where to ask this but I suppose this thread has a fair number of people who will need to do the same thing soon enough...

How hard is it to relicense your old Xbox Live stuff to a new/refurbished console? Does the link over on the Xbox support page work well? I'm not in the position of having to do this yet (Xbox is still in Texas getting fixed/replaced) but once it gets back I'd like to be able to play my stuff offline if necessary.[/quote]

According to their website if they send you a different console then the one you sent, they will take care of the licensing and have it
ready for you when you get it.

Thanks for the responses about relicensing. I suppose I'll fire mine up when I get it back, leave it offline, and see if I can play downloaded games. Back to waiting.

[quote name='dabebop']4 Days old huh hmmm what's the date it was made on the back where the serial is and the lot number and team name? I just want to know because first time I've seen someone buy an xbox brand new and and bam rrod.

But yes that's 100% RROD

Edit:: I Remember that you made that thread about to buy an xbox or to wait it out, but man I'm sorry for the bad luck >_

I don't know if I'd hang onto it. Circuit City is in some dire-ass straits right now. They may or may not be around by the end of January.

Got off the horn with the rep. They were friendly and explained everything pretty well, saying that the repair and shipping is all covered, which is nice considering my console is almost 3 years old.
They did say I have to provide the box, will a Priority Mail box work? Any recommendations for getting a good coffin on the cheap/free?

Alright so got my xbox back now, and it's a 09 2007 xbox but I'm not sure if it's different guts. At least it has the lite on or benq dvd drive, but it does this sound when you close it with or without a disc so I'm not sure if it is just new and it's just making that sound or if it's something else I should worry about.

[quote name='Halo05']I don't know if I'd hang onto it. Circuit City is in some dire-ass straits right now. They may or may not be around by the end of January.[/QUOTE]

yep, they already declared chapter 11. so get on returning that ASAP before you have nothing to return it to.

Sent in my Xbox saturday..hope they recieve before turkey day.

Seems I never get a 360 that warns me in any way it will red ring before just going. Third 360 down today, I have to wonder what i'm going to do after March when my warranty expires.

This is so weird, i'm getting intermittent rrod when booting, freezing during gaming, pixelation, and sometimes it works completely fine? All since NXE.

I don't understand how I can get rrod one minute, reboot it and play fine. Start it up later, freeze everytime i start a game.

Whats the deal.......I ordered a coffin. The quesiton is will they fix it still if they dont see a problem when they get it?

[quote name='jmillion']well i called the 1800 My Xbox #. i was doing it for my cousin, his 360 went RROD. it wasn't bad, but the lady was like u have to print a label out, im like u don't send boxes anymore, and she was like "so yea we are gonna need ya to print the label out,etc". i swear she was reading everything off a list. it was horrid. i got my reference #. ill probably call that 866 # on Monday.[/QUOTE]

I just got hit with the same thing, no box?! I guess they got tired of clearing the rain forest just to keep up with demand. That was one long call, poor bastard couldn't understand anything if I asked a question that wasn't part of his speech. Seeing as how I wasn't coming out of this empty handed I asked for a "gift" for my trouble, got offered a vision camera or wireless controller. Controller it was.

@jake77444 thats the way my fist box was. Could play for about a hour every night before the screen freeze with the checkerboard pattern pixelation. It would only RROD after it got "warmed up" . So I did the towel trick and got a good month from that, then again and got permanent RROD. I wouldnt recommend that because from what I hear they dont check. But I'm not 100% possitive on that.

btw I just rrod'ed again 1 hour after I got the NXE update. coincidence I guess. Looks like box wont move for 4 days.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/support/operation.html
not sure on repair center hours. It just got there today.

One more for the mass grave... my 360 died 11/25/08 at 11:07 PM after freezing up during Naruto following 5 minutes of play. Can't say I didn't see it coming...now to see how I can get a coffin since I traded for this 360.

So my 360's back, and appears to be working now ... I dunno, I'm still a bit worried, because when I first re-hooked it to the power supply, it wouldn't turn on; the I took out the power supply an reconnected, and it gave a 1-light red ring; then after restarting it froze after about a minute; but now it seems to be working (knock on wood). If Micosoft send me a refurb that's DOA, I'm gonna give 'em hell.

Does someone have any info on this??? Shipped to MESQUITE TX, but last year shipped to McAllen ?? So I google and it looks like there is NOT a repair center in MESQUITE? just a UPS hub? If so where is it going now, McAllen?

Last year the refurb was sent out the same day they got mine (luck?). Now they say they still dont have mine a day after it was delivered. Is this common?

[quote name='dirte1']Does someone have any info on this??? Shipped to MESQUITE TX, but last year shipped to McAllen ?? So I google and it looks like there is NOT a repair center in MESQUITE? just a UPS hub? If so where is it going now, McAllen?

Last year the refurb was sent out the same day they got mine (luck?). Now they say they still dont have mine a day after it was delivered. Is this common?[/QUOTE]

Yea it is Mesquite now. And they send it out after they get your system

[quote name='dirte1']Does someone have any info on this??? Shipped to MESQUITE TX, but last year shipped to McAllen ?? So I google and it looks like there is NOT a repair center in MESQUITE? just a UPS hub? If so where is it going now, McAllen?

Last year the refurb was sent out the same day they got mine (luck?). Now they say they still dont have mine a day after it was delivered. Is this common?[/QUOTE]

yeah, the last 2 systems i have sent in went to mesquite, which the last one i sent just recently made it there in 2 days and is on its way back already. it is only about to be a week since i sent the thing, so i am pretty happy with the turn around time due to providing my own box. i think that is the main reason they switched since that was one of the things that made the turn around time slow.

[quote name='menikmati']My 360 just took a dump, thought it went a pretty good time for being a launch unit.[/QUOTE]

Same here. My launch unit went just about a month ago and I've seen others saying the same thing quite a bit recently. Maybe they all just decided to go at the same time ;)

Interestingly after I received my console back I have the same serial # and manufacture date but the drive is different and the exterior shell is different also. Not sure they just made a few adjustments or gave me a different unit and slapped my original info on the back of it, because it says 10-05 manfacture date on the serial but the printing and shell is brand new.

[quote name='taint mcgee']I have a launch unit, it just died yesterday, on the website it says my warranty is expired, will they fix it for free if i call?[/quote]

I could be wrong about this, but didn't we have a thread about anyone still with a launch until better RRoD since the 3 year coverage expires this month?

Wow that was fast. They received my 360 on the 25th and just today I got an email saying it's been repaired and has been shipped back to me.
Still showing the same serial number which is nice. I wanted my precious baby back. Just a few more days to go.

[quote name='DualDisorder']Wow that was fast. They received my 360 on the 25th and just today I got an email saying it's been repaired and has been shipped back to me.
Still showing the same serial number which is nice. I wanted my precious baby back. Just a few more days to go.[/quote]

Same here, to bad it won't be shipped till monday. and the serial number will probably change.

Well my friend just called me to tell me that his power supply brick has a red light indicator and it won't power his 360 anymore. No red ring. So my guess is that his brick has failed right? He's gonna be pissed that he is going to have to buy a new 360 power supply (80 bucks).

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well my friend just called me to tell me that his power supply brick has a red light indicator and it won't power his 360 anymore. No red ring. So my guess is that his brick has failed right? He's gonna be pissed that he is going to have to buy a new 360 power supply (80 bucks).[/QUOTE]

If he bought the warranty from Microsoft it will cover that, if not well don't they sell for cheaper then 80 on ebay?

yesterday after my RRoD on November 9 and 2 weeks more of life with the towel trick i just send my xbox360 .........at least i finished gears of war 2 before it dies completly................. now playing the waiting game (and all the backlog of game i have)..........

[quote name='OnyxAvenger']So my 360's back, and appears to be working now ... I dunno, I'm still a bit worried, because when I first re-hooked it to the power supply, it wouldn't turn on; the I took out the power supply an reconnected, and it gave a 1-light red ring; then after restarting it froze after about a minute; but now it seems to be working (knock on wood). If Micosoft send me a refurb that's DOA, I'm gonna give 'em hell.[/quote]

So it's official, the unit I got back is DOA. It worked just long enough for me to do the setup, and now it's giving me the one Red Light error, with an E65. Guess I'm going to call Microsoft tomorrow and be all angry.

... sigh, this is unreasonable. They should not send back consoles that are DOA.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can try? I've restarted, disconnected/reconnected the console, and I've recreated the error about 5 or so time now. Bleh.

[quote name='OnyxAvenger']So it's official, the unit I got back is DOA. It worked just long enough for me to do the setup, and now it's giving me the one Red Light error, with an E65. Guess I'm going to call Microsoft tomorrow and be all angry.

... sigh, this is unreasonable. They should not send back consoles that are DOA.[/QUOTE]

Better that then one that eats discs, I lost a copy of Call of Duty 3 like that.

Are you fucking kidding me? My less than 24 hour old 360 RRoDed over night. I played about 30 minutes yesterday and forgot to turn it off after installing a game to the HD. It was manufacured 8/31/08. This sucks. And I've got to reinstall all my stuff to the HD again after I exchange this one. Ridiculous.

"Sunday, November 23, 2008 Xbox Repair - Repair Complete" Still hasn't been shipped out according to the website.

Edit-- Called them and its going to be delivered on Tuesday. Of course nobody will be home then I will have to have it routed to my office since its signature required. At least its in the area.

Few quick questions. My 360 RRoDed on me just like a few months after getting it.....but that was like 6months ago and its been working completely normal since then. Now all of a sudden I was getting black screens or my game would stop working. I assumed it must by my HDMI wire since I had had a previous one crap out on me pretty fast. I assumed again this must be the case after I started having games freeze on me having weird graphical glitches. So I got my old comp wires out and started playing with them. Within like 2 or 3 mins I had the same problem but this time I got a ton of lines through the screen and a RRoD. However its one big red ring vs the 3 RRoD. This makes me nervous I have that weird error that in the FAQ it says is a $100 fix. I however have not seen an error message of any kind. It just fails to load up or loads up then freezes and RRoDs on me.

Anyone know if this is the typical RRoD or if this is that weird error? And if its the weird error are you still expected to pay to fix it or do they now include it under warranty. I am gonna be pretty god damn pissed off if my $350 purchase didnt even make it one god damned year and isnt covered under warranty.

Also if you keep your HD when you send in your 360 that means you are not going to loose your save games and downloaded content correct?

Ironically, after a four day vacation away from my xbox, it red-ringed five minutes after turning it on last night. I put in the serial number online today for a repair order and it said my warranty was expired even though the manufacture date on the back says 07-25-07. Isn't the RROD a three year warranty?

I called into support and got some indian chick I couldn't understand who sang to herself. I'm not quite sure, but I think a coffin is on its way to me... She never said anything about an expired warranty or having to pay for repairs.

Should I be concerned that I'm not going to get my orginial box back as well? I got a super quiet, hdmi one (used the serial series to find the exact hardware set I wanted)... I would be quite mad if I got back a jet-engine after all the trouble it took me to find the one I wanted in the first place.

Sadness.

[quote name='insertcleverthing']Ironically, after a four day vacation away from my xbox, it red-ringed five minutes after turning it on last night. I put in the serial number online today for a repair order and it said my warranty was expired even though the manufacture date on the back says 07-25-07. Isn't the RROD a three year warranty?

Should I be concerned that I'm not going to get my orginial box back as well? I got a super quiet, hdmi one (used the serial series to find the exact hardware set I wanted)... I would be quite mad if I got back a jet-engine after all the trouble it took me to find the one I wanted in the first place.

Sadness.[/quote]

The warranty status on that page does not account for the 3 year rrod warranty. Also you should get a hdmi back. I am getting my same box back and that kind of worries me. Strange felling it will be DOA cause I don't see how they could have fixed it that fast.

I know this is not a RRoD but its a problem none the less. Sorry if it has been gone over before but there is a lot of info here.

There is a new problem (may not be new to a lot of people) called the open tray error and is predicted to be the next big recall aside from RRoD. You put a game in and your xbox simply refuses to read it always going back to dashboard with open tray display like you have never inserted a game.

As of right now there seems to be no known fix for this other than a crazy "tear your system a part and insert things," fix. I have no idea what I did to mine other than picking it up and moving it while it was off.

My 5th 360 red ringed on me last night. I called Microsoft today because the online repair form isn't working correctly. They told me their computers are being updated and that I need to call back in 3-5 hours. So I waited four hours and called back; now they're telling me I need to call back tomorrow! Ugh!

Here I just ordered some games online on Black Friday and now I won't be able to play them until probably the end of the damn month. This sucks.

My 360 came back yesterday RRoD-free. The NXE update went well and I installed Fallout 3 on the HDD. The only issue is my damn arcade games are not licensed. There are two reasons that this is crazy. First, I got the same console back. At least the serial number is the same. Second, I tried the method detailed on the paper that came back with the Xbox and it didn't work. I've tried deleting games entirely and redoing the whole download but that doesn't make a difference. fuck I'm not looking forward to calling them and stumping them with this.

bread's done
Back