XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

[quote name='GodlyOne']They should be still sending out coffins.

I've been waiting for about a month now for my 360 to get back to me.[/quote]

I don't know why there's a rumor going around that they're not sending coffins.. I ordered mine around end of January and got it around 2-3 days.

My turnaround for the 360 getting repaired is like 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.. should be getting it by this Thursday.

I installed the update today and then played a game for about 20 minutes. I turned off the game to make dinner and when I came back to turn on my 360, I got the red rings of death!!! Now, it probably has nothing to do with the update, but who knows. I have an Elite that I bought back in 2007 and this is the first time if has done this. This sucks. Good thing I still have a few months left on my product replacement plan from Best Buy. Should I take it back to Best Buy and get a replacement? If I do, then my extended warranty expires even if I have some months remaining on it. and then will I get a new 3 year warrant from Microsoft from the day I get my new 360? Also I don't want to lose my game saves and downloads, so would Best Buy care if I kept the hard drive? Would putting my used hard drive on a new 360 cause any problems?

They didnt even offer to send a box to me. They told me I had to go get one. I didnt mind cause I sent it out the same day it broke.

I never got the shipping notification from MS on my return either. I did for the coffin, but not for the finished repair.

Nevertheless, the 360 I sent in for RRoD on 1/22 is Out for Delivery today - two weeks, not bad. I just hope I beat the UPS guy home so I can get the sucker tonight instead of tomorrow. I wonder why I can't order them to hold the package at the depot before they try to deliver once.

Kruuuunk! I might be back on this thread for the fifth time! This time I am getting weird graphical glitches. In Fallout 3 the colors get wonky. Like blues and greens start to switch with each other in odd shades, etc. It came and went. Then on some XBLA games colors were getting wonky and it would stop and come back. Are the red rings coming soon???? If not, what should I trouble shoot?
I read this MIGHT be due to the CPU overheating. My house is freezing and the 360 has plenty of airflow. Does that mean if the 360 CPU wants to overheat their is nothing really that is gonna stop it?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Kruuuunk! I might be back on this thread for the fifth time! This time I am getting weird graphical glitches. In Fallout 3 the colors get wonky. Like blues and greens start to switch with each other in odd shades, etc. It came and went. Then on some XBLA games colors were getting wonky and it would stop and come back. Are the red rings coming soon???? If not, what should I trouble shoot?[/quote]

Maybe it's some kind of issue with your video cables? Once games start freezing though, it's going to die.

They want $100 for the repairs. I guess I'll get a new one and probably a replacement plan since I've had 5 die. I've had pretty much every console since an Odyssey in the mid 70s and have never had a problem. Ever. So if I was to buy a new 360 and get a replacement plan, what store would you fellow CAG recommend?

i would buy from walmart, but only because i get a discount so. i dont know maybee bestbuy? DEFINITELY NOT GAMESTOP

or i think dell.com has them on sale

[quote name='chinese_fury']Many 360 owners who just did the recent update on older non-hdmi 360's are having the dreaded rrod again right after the update. A word of caution to everyone - hold off on the recent update.

http://forums.xbox.com/1/25603474/Sh....aspx#25603474

5 pages of pissed off 360 owners from just a day or two.[/quote]

Well I got lucky.. my 360 did not RRoD after the update.

Thank god.

My 360 went from graphic glitches to now no video output. Audio is fine. No red rings, everything seems to be working fine but zero video output. I've never had such a poor experience with any electronic equipment in my life.

Got my (refurbished) Xbox 360 via UPS on Thursday, got it all hooked up and such... but I do have some VERY important questions which I would like some of you to answer, if possible...

1) The manufacturing date on this refurb is 7-24-08. I bought mine in August 07. This means that this refurb is newer than my own Xbox, which is now somewhere in Texas being repaired. This is good, as it's from newer stock, and bad, because it also means that it previously red-ringed VERY quickly -- assuming the owner bought it in August or September 08, and sent it in for repairs in December or January, to have it ready for me to receive in the first week of February... Does this mean it's a poorer quality Xbox? My previous one lasted a year and a half before red-ringing...

2) This Xbox 360 seems VERY slow to load up -- is this normal? My previous 360 which I bought and owned took 1-5 seconds to boot up to the Xbox orb logo. This new one takes 30-40 seconds, maybe more, to even begin displaying an image to the TV, but once it does it is smooth sailing. Again, is this the norm for refurbs? Or am I screwed?

Thanks guys, hopefully questions can be answered.

Just got my 3rd RRoD. The first was a launch system, the last 2 have been Elites. I've always bought at Sams or Costco so that I can just return and get another one.

I have 3 Elites in the house. After the "update" mine got the RRoD, the 2nd one freezes all the time, and the 3rd one wont load Fallout 3 saved games. WTF is wrong with Microsoft?

[quote name='xerocalibur']Got my (refurbished) Xbox 360 via UPS on Thursday, got it all hooked up and such... but I do have some VERY important questions which I would like some of you to answer, if possible...

1) The manufacturing date on this refurb is 7-24-08. I bought mine in August 07. This means that this refurb is newer than my own Xbox, which is now somewhere in Texas being repaired. This is good, as it's from newer stock, and bad, because it also means that it previously red-ringed VERY quickly -- assuming the owner bought it in August or September 08, and sent it in for repairs in December or January, to have it ready for me to receive in the first week of February... Does this mean it's a poorer quality Xbox? My previous one lasted a year and a half before red-ringing...

2) This Xbox 360 seems VERY slow to load up -- is this normal? My previous 360 which I bought and owned took 1-5 seconds to boot up to the Xbox orb logo. This new one takes 30-40 seconds, maybe more, to even begin displaying an image to the TV, but once it does it is smooth sailing. Again, is this the norm for refurbs? Or am I screwed?

Thanks guys, hopefully questions can be answered.[/quote]
#2, not normal. I'd call and send it back. What bullshit. Good luck.

I got an Xbox 360 Elite in July 07 for my bday. No problems whatsoever since then. I applied the latest update and then shut down the system. I used it last night for the first time for a few minutes without any problems. I go out with friends for dinner, come back, turn on the system and it gives me the RDoD.

I thought I was the only one, until I searched online. Seems a lot of people are having problems and people suspect the latest update is the culprit. This is bulls***

Looks like I'm joining the ranks of pissed off 360 owners. I've had mine since November of 2007 and last night it decided to RROD on me. No symptoms ever until then. I've done everying right as far as ventallation. Hell, my apartment is like a friggen freezer right now, so I don't know how it could have over heated. Awaiting the coffin right now.

f*cking sucks.

Sigh. 3rd xbox 360 just got the one red ring of death.

AGAIN. Argh. Time to head to best buy.

I dled the update, and then BAM, graphic glitches then one red ring.. sigh.

so my repaired (replaced?) console is on it's way back to me according to the Repair Status site. I got the email saying it was repaired but I never got an email saying that it had been shipped. the Repair Status site doesn't list a tracking number, is it worth calling over? or can I expect an email at some point telling me what I already know (that my console has been shipped)?

You probably shouldn't worry about it, the same thing happened to me and I just got my 360 back today. I got the email saying it was repaired but never got the "shipped out, here's your tracking number" email. You should make sure you're at home to receive the delivery though.

Anyways, I just got it back and I'm not sure if I want to update it hearing about other people's 360s dying on them after the update.

Well good news, swapped out my elite for another elite today.

Came home, installed update, everything's a-ok.

My xbox has the "new xbox" smell. Its weird.

My xbox just started freezing and its slow walk on its way to the rrod after almost 3 years of service. I did purchase the extended service agreement from MS so it is still under warranty for a few weeks, so I called and the coffin is on the way.

My question is, what happens when the repair center gets my xbox in and it won't freeze for them?

Are they just going to send it back to me?

Am I better off running the thing 24/7 until it does red ring and then sending it in?

Here is a pic of it failing on boot:
http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss285/thekernl/?action=view&current=115.jpg

And it has red ringed once since I posted this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my 4th RROD repair back today. The one they sent me has a manufacture date of 9/2008 but it is a non-HDMI. It looks like it is new because it came with a faceplate that had the plastic cover on the IR sensor. I sent my broken one to them without a faceplate. They also included a one month Xbox live card.

[quote name='MGoBlue']I got my 4th RROD repair back today. The one they sent me has a manufacture date of 9/2008 but it is a non-HDMI. It looks like it is new because it came with a faceplate that had the plastic cover on the IR sensor. I sent my broken one to them without a faceplate. They also included a one month Xbox live card.[/quote]

It may not be new, mine came back with a plastic sticker over the IR and it's far from new. Sure way to know if it's new though is if it has the sticker over the disc tray.
I'm wondering, how do I find out the manufacture date of the console I got back?

[quote name='GodlyOne']It may not be new, mine came back with a plastic sticker over the IR and it's far from new. Sure way to know if it's new though is if it has the sticker over the disc tray.
I'm wondering, how do I find out the manufacture date of the console I got back?[/QUOTE]

It's on the back above the S/N.

[quote name='MGoBlue']It's on the back above the S/N.[/quote]

Ohh I see it, thanks.

It says 11-11-08 but sadly it's not a falcon or jasper.

My 360 has gotten the 2 red quadrants error lately which means it's having overheating problems. I think the graphics chip melted or something because it runs fine if I'm just watching Netflix for hours and hours, but if I play NBA 2k9 or Dead Rising for half an hour (installed to my hard drive even), it shuts off and leaves me with the two red quadrants. I've gotten it a couple of times while playing the Halo Wars demo. I'm going to call them up and see what my options are. I think buying a new arcade system is the best idea right now.

Well, I purchased this Elite in Aug 08.. it's a Falcon. I'm not getting RROD, but I'm getting vertical dotted white lines on the screen and the thing freezes up. Haven't had a single problem out of the console until this point, the first time I've played anything since the update (FEAR 2). I bought it from Dell with one of the cheapass deals a while back, but it's still in the one year window. What little info I've gathered from Google, it sounds like the GPU is fubared. Any insight? I think I've had two RROD consoles before, I just went out and bought a new Elite to get out of the "refurb merry go round" with MS.

Another one bites the dust!

My 1st one so far. Crapped out on me yesterday while playing Fallout 3. This is a premium system that I got a few months after launch, and is very surprisingly still covered under the RROD warranty. Now the wait begins, and I am left with only my Wii to play with for a few weeks, which should give me time to trudge through Twilight Princess.

[quote name='Skylander7']Well, I purchased this Elite in Aug 08.. it's a Falcon. I'm not getting RROD, but I'm getting vertical dotted white lines on the screen and the thing freezes up. Haven't had a single problem out of the console until this point, the first time I've played anything since the update (FEAR 2). I bought it from Dell with one of the cheapass deals a while back, but it's still in the one year window. What little info I've gathered from Google, it sounds like the GPU is fubared. Any insight? I think I've had two RROD consoles before, I just went out and bought a new Elite to get out of the "refurb merry go round" with MS.[/QUOTE]

Thats a sign that it's on it's way out, my 2 previous 360 did the same, the first one had graphical glitches when gears of war 1 came out then it never hapened again until halo 3 came out, once i finished halo3 i finally got the RROD

[quote name='anubis20']Thats a sign that it's on it's way out, my 2 previous 360 did the same, the first one had graphical glitches when gears of war 1 came out then it never hapened again until halo 3 came out, once i finished halo3 i finally got the RROD[/QUOTE]

I went ahead and sent for a coffin, shouldn't have any problems since it's under the 1 year warranty still. It really pisses me off that with a console "born on" date of 4/2/08, this garbage still happens. This makes for console #3 going to Crapsoft, right when SF IV and Halo Wars are about to come out. At least I was able to make it through F.E.A.R. 2.

[quote name='Skylander7']I went ahead and sent for a coffin, shouldn't have any problems since it's under the 1 year warranty still. It really pisses me off that with a console "born on" date of 4/2/08, this garbage still happens. This makes for console #3 going to Crapsoft, right when SF IV and Halo Wars are about to come out. At least I was able to make it through F.E.A.R. 2.[/QUOTE]

I got a Jasper now, so im basically living day to day to see if its true that they have indeed done away with RROD

I'm praying that my Jasper (10/08) arcade unit doesn't crap out on me. I cashed out my two year unlimited exchange program and got me an arcade unit.

i want a new 360 so much right now but can't get over the fact so many are crapping out. Anybody know what type of warranty ebgames/gamestop has for them? i heard somewhere that they gave up on 360 warranties because of the ridiculously high failure rate.

my 360 keeps freezing during games. Specifically (but not exclusively) during loading times on the Lost and Damned. I did notice some graphical glitches during initial loading art screens when you first start the game. The console was a replacement to my old console for the same reason. I haven't checked if it's a refurb yet. I'll do that when I get home. I'm thinking about lieing about the 3rrod to get a replacement because it was manufactured 4/2006. Think I'll get charged if I do that?

[quote name='GodlyOne']Ohh I see it, thanks.

It says 11-11-08 but sadly it's not a falcon or jasper.[/quote]

How do you know it's not a Jasper? It should be.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']My 360 went from graphic glitches to now no video output. Audio is fine. No red rings, everything seems to be working fine but zero video output. I've never had such a poor experience with any electronic equipment in my life.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother. You, me, and half the US. My Aug 07 Ben Q just ate it with E74. No RROD's up to this point and you know it have to be something not covered in the extended warranty. I'm sure MS will want $100+tax but I'm going to say it's 3RROD until they call my bluff.;)

i recently had the red rings (for the second time) but i couldn't send it to microsoft because i previously opened up my 360 to fix the dvd drive. so i actually did the thermal paste / heatsink clamp fix and my 360 has been running like a champ. all you need is artic silver 5 thermal paste, rubbing alcohol or artic cleaner (to get rid of the thermal paste and to clean the cpu and gpu), 3 dozen metal washers, 2 dozen or so nylon washers, and matching screws. tools you'd need would include 10 and 8 torx screws and a drill, at least for the tutorial i used i had to drill larger holes into the steel case. this is suppose to be a permanent fix so we'll see, but i've been playing it for a few days now hours on end. if anyone wants to give it a shot i can provide you links and what i found to work for me cause getting the exact washers at my lowes wasn't an option sometimes.

Yiippeee!!!fuckfuckfuckfuckme. Just got RROD on my first console. I didn't even use it today...it just died as I turned it on.
I'm glad I spent those $30.00 on that extended warranty though...just gotta get a stupid box from the UPS store.
The last time I was in there I was asking for different box types, and he basically said: 'We have this, and this, and one that fits the x360 perfectly since we get 10-15 units per day'. How sad is that??:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='delusional43']How do you know it's not a Jasper? It should be.[/quote]

Cause the one I got back uses 16.5 amps, Jaspers are supposed to use 12.1 and Falcons use 14.2. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[quote name='GodlyOne']Cause the one I got back uses 16.5 amps, Jaspers are supposed to use 12.1 and Falcons use 14.2. [/quote]
oh. right

We just sent in our 2nd xbox 360 in for a red ring. I was old by the xbox phone rep that they no longer sent out the coffin (so I had UPS pack it up an send it in with a bow on the top).

I sent the box out on Monday, and now Friday the xbox site says it will be shipping today... no ups # listed on the site for the returned unit.

My question... the site still has the units serial # that I sent in... will this update, or are we really going to get the same box back?

The first time we got the RROD we didn't get the same unit back... I find it hard to believe that they got the same box fixed in less than a week.

BTW the UPS store that I used said that they send out 20 xbox 360's a week and they are just one tiny store in our town.

Ok, so my 360 finally got the RROD the other day, i want to take it back to BB and use my 2yr warranty i have but want to transfer all my stuff to the new xbox. I found out that i need both the new and old xbox serial numbers though, im kinda confused on how to do this. Bestbuy i know wont let you keep both HD's and i know they wont transfer it for you, so what the hell do i do? This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Well yeah i know that but i dont want to keep the old one either. I want to use my warranty to get a full on new 360, not a partial one.

bread's done
Back