XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

*UPDATE* Got my UPS box (not FEDEX) as promised by them this afternoon.

I will be shipping the 'nightmare' 360 out in the next couple of hours. Hopefully, I will make the UPS 6:30 pm last pickup.

Here's to hoping that I get back a decent refurb this time.

EDIT NOTE: My wife didn't specify and I hadn't checked the email I have tied with this deal, so when I got home I noticed that it all was NOT FEDEX at all, it was UPS again (although NEXT DAY AIR as they promised). Not that I care, its' really all the same to me. Just that I find it odd since that supervisor told me it'd be FEDEX and I figure a supervisor would be more aware of what is going on, and that due to my situation, I'd be more than a number....guess not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JDMxB'] what's the most sought after "chip" in the new 360s?[/QUOTE]

The LATEST 360's come with the JASPER Chipset.

They are most commonly found in the ARCADE version.

You'll spot one easy BEFORE you buy a console if you look through the hole in the box that shows you the serial number. You may have to slightly bend the cardboard of the box some to see the AMP rating.

The AMPS there should say 12.1A...

If it says anything other than that then you are getting an older model. (14.2 is Falcon, 16+ is Zephyr)

ALSO, you definitely know you have a Jasper if your power supply is only 150W.

However, by that time you bought the console already. So your better off making sure before hand by checking the AMPS.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']The LATEST 360's come with the JASPER Chipset.

They are most commonly found in the ARCADE version.

You'll spot one easy BEFORE you buy a console if you look through the whole in the box that shows you the serial number. You may have to slightly bend the cardboard of the box some to see the AMP rating.

The AMPS there should say 12.1A...

If it says anything other than that then you are getting an older model. (14.2 is Falcon, 16+ is Zephyr)

ALSO, you definitely know you have a Jasper if your power supply is only 150W.

However, by that time you bought the console already. So your better off making sure before hand by checking the AMPS.[/QUOTE]

Thanks -- just did some homework and everything matches what you said.

I spent some time with my ps3 today, and it's just not the same!!!

wow, I'm on my 4th RMAed 360 since Launch day now. That's 1 failure for every year....... awesome quality.

And to add insult this latest one I just got back today is a xenon (1st gen) chipset. they didn't even bother to give me an upgrade to the opus chipset. I guess it'll be past 3 years by next year when this one breaks (since the announcement) and i'll be forced to buy another one.

and yup, it still sounds like a jet engine.

Quick question that I didn't see in the FAQ up front, and I really apologize if its stupid, I just want to make sure:

When your unit is repaired, the warranty is 90 days for anything (that's clear), BUT does the RROD warranty reset to 3 years too?

For example if my refurb lasts say 2 years and 10 months and it gets RROD (again) am I still good?

I am asking because my original lasted almost 3 years (I thought mine was a miracle and it would never break :( especially the way I take care of it), so by the time the refurb breaks down it will be longer than 3 years from my original purchase date. I would like to know if the next time around am I going to be covered with this refurb? ...or will I be stuck and need to buy a new one?

[quote name='Wolfpup']Were those all pre-falcons? That's something at least. I think those things are just going to fail period :whistle2:/[/QUOTE]

Depends on what the last one they RMAed to me last year was but i'm fairly certain it was a Xenon was well.

First 2 were probably def Xenon's though.

Which makes it even more amusing that they've replaced it w/ another Xenon.

[quote name='Zoglog']Depends on what the last one they RMAed to me last year was but i'm fairly certain it was a Xenon was well.

First 2 were probably def Xenon's though.

Which makes it even more amusing that they've replaced it w/ another Xenon.[/QUOTE]

Well, duh, they gotta do something with all those original units that keep getting sent back in ;).

My 360 got an E74 two months ago...before it was covered. I stowed in it hopes that they would extend the warranty, and I bought an arcade for $200. Long story short -- my brother is the new owner of a repaired 360 :p.

[quote name='io']Well, duh, they gotta do something with all those original units that keep getting sent back in ;).[/QUOTE]

not necessarily, that's why they created the OPUS chipset to accommodate for the old 360's w/o HDMI ports.
IT's just silly that they would prefer to go the route of wasting more money (or mine in this case I suppose since it'll be past 3 years after this one).

Turn around time is pretty damn quick now/has been.

5/17 Called and spoke to the Rep
5/17 Got my pre-paid label and printed it out
5/18 Sent in Console for repair
5/22 Console Received by MS
5/23 Console "repaired"
5/24 Console pre-billed/tracking info received.

So basically a week and a half to two weeks to get a console fixed. I guess I can deal with that every year or so (hopefully) lol.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Turn around time is pretty damn quick now/has been.

5/17 Called and spoke to the Rep
5/17 Got my pre-paid label and printed it out
5/18 Sent in Console for repair
5/22 Console Received by MS
5/23 Console "repaired"
5/24 Console pre-billed/tracking info received.

So basically a week and a half to two weeks to get a console fixed. I guess I can deal with that every year or so (hopefully) lol.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I had MS ship me a box and such so I could send it in. They received it a couple days later, repaired it the same day they got it, shipped it out a day or two later, and I'm expecting it on the 28th. Overall, much better than the 1 month many people had to deal with early on.

well i can now join the failed 360 club now. my launch day 360 just got an E74 this morning and now have to send it in. dont know if this has been mentioned (if it has been, its worth mentioning again) but if the support people wont give you a box, talk to a super about it and they will gladly send you a box.

Geez, I don't know if my xbox 360 elite is going to RRoD on me or not.

It has been freezing a lot lately while playing CoD 4 or just doing co-op on Kane&Lynch. I've been trying to troubleshoot using all the tips I mustered online. And now I'm stopping the urge to use compressed air through the fucking DVD drive (cuz I'm too lazy to buy a DVD cleaner).

[quote name='garc4475']got the red lights o my jasper model
turned , restarded the console and it was gone

IS THAT A BAD SIGN?????[/QUOTE]

Yeah basically It's most likely going to happen again unless your cables were loose. I had the RROD, as did many people I know, very briefly and then later a week or two It becomes a permanent fixture. You can call in advance and get your shipping label/box set up, and then send it in when it really bites the dust. Tho I forget how long u can have a label and wait before shipping out.

Got my 360 back today. Something is rattling inside, and it's a refurb...but it's working. DVD drive doesn't sound too good when i open and close it. What's the warranty on a refurb (that's what i got back)?

Guys, so I was booting my xbox 360 today and my console started flashing 3 red rings. I was pretty ticked, because I had just bought the system this last x-mas (mfg date of last year though). I messed with the power connections and I guess it was just a loose power cable... but it made me realize that I never registered my system. Should I be worried about the system red-ringing on me permanently or would the sole problem have been the loose power cord?

So I logged into their website, registered my system and it shows my standard warranty expired (despite the purchase being last december). In parenthesis it states that the red rings have a 3 year extended warranty. Should I just forego throwing a fit about the current warranty being expired when it should be active for another 9 months, since the RROD has the 3 yr extended?

[quote name='SynGamer']Got my 360 back today. Something is rattling inside, and it's a refurb...but it's working.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be very common. I'm curious as to what this is, exactly (as mine has it too).

[quote name='dyeknom']Guys, so I was booting my xbox 360 today and my console started flashing 3 red rings. I was pretty ticked, because I had just bought the system this last x-mas (mfg date of last year though). I messed with the power connections and I guess it was just a loose power cable... but it made me realize that I never registered my system. Should I be worried about the system red-ringing on me permanently or would the sole problem have been the loose power cord?

So I logged into their website, registered my system and it shows my standard warranty expired (despite the purchase being last december). In parenthesis it states that the red rings have a 3 year extended warranty. Should I just forego throwing a fit about the current warranty being expired when it should be active for another 9 months, since the RROD has the 3 yr extended?[/QUOTE]

Meh - I never registered mine, and then I couldn't register it when it died (site said my serial # was invalid). They just did it on the phone (though it still doesn't show as being linked to my Windows Live ID). Regardless, despite being 2 years and 1 day old when it RRoD'd, they fixed it no problem.

[quote name='io']This seems to be very common. I'm curious as to what this is, exactly (as mine has it too).[/QUOTE]

I think the rattle is a mechanism inside the 360 that lets it know whether it is sitting vertically or horizontally.

[quote name='dyeknom']So I logged into their website, registered my system and it shows my standard warranty expired (despite the purchase being last december). In parenthesis it states that the red rings have a 3 year extended warranty. Should I just forego throwing a fit about the current warranty being expired when it should be active for another 9 months, since the RROD has the 3 yr extended?[/QUOTE]

The 1 year warranty is from the manufacturing date I believe. I would still call them up and see if you can get the standard warranty adjusted to 1 year from your purchase date. There are other issues besides RROD and E79s that can occur - especially DVD drive problems (which mine had initially).

I had a e73, not e74, but a e73 error recently. I did the overheat trick briefly and got it to work. Now today, the graphics are starting to go bad. It looks like a bunch of black snow when I try to play RE5 and it also has some NXE glitches as well. Does anyone know if its gonna give me a 3 rrod error soon? I'm actually hoping for this as they don't cover the 1 ring e73 error.

My Elite's video just went out after having no problems with the system beforehand. Started playing Left 4 Dead and then video flashed and went out. I restarted, and had crazy video distortion, now I can't get anything to show up.

So looking for a recommendation...

I purchased the unit at Gamecrazy and got their 3 year warranty. The system was purchased in September of 2007.

Does anyone have experience with Gamecrazy's warranty policy? Will they just give me a new system (but let me keep my HD?)

Or should I just send it back to Microsoft?

I'd prefer to have Gamecrazy fix it since I paid for the warranty, but I don't want to have problems with my DLC.

Any advice?

I just got my second RROD, but this time my xbox is out of warranty. I searched online for any kind of fix, and I saw this one that involves changing the X-clamp that holds the heatsinks. I bought a kit from ebay and I hope it works. I will post back with updates.

360 number 12 died in april, bought a new arcade having it one week i got the 4 light error through an hdmi cable, then an hour later got the 1 light, after cutting it off and cutting it back on got the 2 light, now my power light doesnt work and it wont sync with my controllers, yay looks like im onto number 13..... note to self do not buy the xbox3 if it has any of these issues, this is the fourth new systems i have bought, and ive had 13 systems so far now, damn me for not buying extended warranty, guess its time for microsoft to give me my 4th free game. to make matters worse my ps3 has been yellow lighted for 2 months waiting to fix it when i have the money, luckily the only issue my wii has had is the duallayer issue

Got my kit today. I was able to do the procedure without any significant problems, so now my xbox is back up and running :D
It also involved a procedure like the towel trick, so I have to wait and see if the fix is as durable as they say it is, or something very temporary as the towel trick.
I played all day today without any problems, I will update if anything happens in the following days.

[quote name='Mechafenris']Drumroll please... After only one day of playing... (I got about 45 minutes of Infinite Undiscovery in last night before bed...) IT IS NO MORE. The damn thing died after only 45 minutes of playtime YESTERDAY. You have GOT to be kidding me.... I'm 2 into a repair... 3 more and I get an oven mitt! :)
smile7.jpg

Glad I snagged a cheap Arcade at CC... :) A falcon to boot.[/QUOTE]
What drive did you get ben-q or lite-on with the arcade?

It's interesting whenever I hear that a person's launch 360 has never RROD. I have a coworker's who hasn't yet, must be incredibly lucky... or he never plays it.

I had a co-worker who had a launch console and played it every other day and his just died recently.
My other friend had DVD drive issues but has yet to have the RROD on a near launch system.
My other friend had RROD three times but nothing in the last few years.
I use my 360 about 25+ hours a week on average and my first RROD came after 2 1/2 years, then my Falcon didn't even last a year.

It's pretty damn random.

Oh and if Shane Kim is for realz. 10 year plan for 360? lol. How many damn 360's am I going to have to buy before support dies out? Better yet the guy who has had over a dozen 360 repairs, I can't imagine how many before then. I just hope MS gets the price down to $100 in three years so the pill is easier to swallow.

ok, kinda freaking out right now, just went on xbox.com to check the repair status of my 360 and it doesnt even show up on their records that i have any console registered with them, wtf? is this normal? am i SOL? have they lost it? lol

#2 just ringed on me today. Worst possible fucking time to do it with Fight Night Round 4 in a few weeks.

I hope I don't have to pay for this one, though. Really can't afford a repair cost right now.

Whoa...I just had my Xbox RRoD! My previous ones died from like e74 errors, or something like that (except my very first one that was basically DOA). This was a Falcon, and those first three were first generation units. Got this one in the fall of 2007.

Not only did it go out, it somehow took down my network! My laptop wasn't able to see anything until I unplugged the Xbox...that's...nuts.

I'd thought it sounded a little weird yesterday when I was finishing Braid, but I really wasn't expecting this. It made a wir and snapping sound, and then RRoD. I literally laughed and said "oh you're kidding".

Okay...plugged it back in and rebooted, and it's back up.

So...I guess I keep using it see what happens?

I accidentally got Splinter Cell for both platforms, and was going to start the Xbox one since the graphics are suposed to be a bit better than the port, but now I'm wondering if I'll make it through the game. Guess I should try though so I know if it's going to fail or not.

My Xbox is starting to mess up like it did last time it RROD. It gives me 2 red lights, and mess up playing some games. Can I just send it in now and say its RROD. Do they actually check? The reason is the sync button on the console broke, and I can only use my one wired controller? Thanks

[quote name='daminion']
I purchased the unit at Gamecrazy and got their 3 year warranty. The system was purchased in September of 2007.

Does anyone have experience with Gamecrazy's warranty policy? Will they just give me a new system (but let me keep my HD?)

Or should I just send it back to Microsoft?

I'd prefer to have Gamecrazy fix it since I paid for the warranty, but I don't want to have problems with my DLC.

Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Well, may be too late, but here's what they told me. I bought an extended warranty (just one year) on my launch day Elite only because they required it at Gamecrazy in order to purchase it (since they were hard to find at GC for like 2 days and I wanted to use credit I had there vs paying cash somewhere they were easier to get :roll:). This was before MS extended the RRoD warranty to 3 years so I figured at the time it wasn't a bad idea anyway. Well, when mine died several weeks back I figured I'd try to go through GC (to get a new one hopefully). They told me I HAD to go through MS until the 3 years was up. THEN I have one more year on them. In fact, they told me that when I get it fixed via MS (which I have) I should go back in and get the paperwork updated with the new number (I'm not even sure I have a different serial or not - will have to look). I completely forgot about that until now so I should take care of that. My 3 years will be up next April and there's a damn good chance mine will fail again shortly after that (if not before).

So, if you hear differently from GC let me know. The guy made it sound like these were recent changes and they used to be able to give new ones out before.

Well, two and a half weeks later and I got my 360 back today. It looks to be the exact same case, and I swear the one I sent in had a slight rattle to it while the 360 I got back today does not. Turned it on and it works. Let's see how long this one lasts.

They threw in a 1 month Xbox Live card too, which is kinda neat.

[quote name='valloq']My 360 finally red-ringed. I got in on the Hot Topic deal last year and the 360 has served me well until today. I swear no less than five minutes into Bully the screen goes purple/pink and just freezes. Power on/off and the red rings! Yay!

Just got off the phone and the nice lady in India will be sending me the coffin. Here's my question: Anyone know what sort of system I'll be getting back? Seeing that I have the Halo edition 360, does it mean they'll try to fix it, or take the case off and put it on a newer machine? I honestly wouldn't mind if they sent me a newer, quieter 360.[/QUOTE]

My xbox is out of warranty and I was shipped a coffin but I wasn't charged anything to get it fixed. Is that a fluke or are they going to charge me when I get it back? I just don't know what to think of it.

Are you sure it's out of warranty? If it died from an e74 or RRod, and you bought it in June of 2006 or later, it would still be covered.

Personally, if I had to pay for it I wouldn't. Can't be much cheaper than buying a Core, which won't be a refurb, and will be a newer design, etc. (although if my 360 really is dying, I'm not 100% sure whether I'm sticking with it at all)

Sigh. The DVD drive on my 360 died. Time to request a repair. This is going to be my 5th 360 even though I've never had RROD.

Is it just me or is everyone ok with MS as a company knowing selling 360's that will self destruct in a matter of time? I'm heated my "ms fixed" 360 died again. I will be going with ps3 now. I can't believe no one has slapped them with a lawsuit. $200-$400 is a lot of money for people to just keep buying new 360's when it dies! They won't get my money again...just the principle of the matter.

[quote name='bs000']Sigh. The DVD drive on my 360 died. Time to request a repair. This is going to be my 5th 360 even though I've never had RROD.[/QUOTE]

How long did you have it, and any idea what drive model it was? I think other than my original, the weekend RRoD is the first one I've had. Others were e74 and the like.

[quote name='sandrshe']Is it just me or is everyone ok with MS as a company knowing selling 360's that will self destruct in a matter of time? I'm heated my "ms fixed" 360 died again. I will be going with ps3 now. I can't believe no one has slapped them with a lawsuit. $200-$400 is a lot of money for people to just keep buying new 360's when it dies! They won't get my money again...just the principle of the matter.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been kind of mentally thinking to myself "it's just the first generation models, not Falcon" so I feel okay about buying so many Xbox games. But then when I thought mine was dead it made me kind of question what I'm doing. Ended up buying the PS3 version of Wolverine today since I don't know if my 360 is about to explode or what (guy at Gamestop said his does that sometimes, and he shakes it and it fixes it(?)

I don't think I've ever had an issue with game hardware until the past few years, and I've gone through 3 360s and a Wii (and my second Wii is making the same sounds the first one did before it died).

Of course this stuff probably used to be built better? It's Chinese now, and plus we know in the case of the 360 they didn't build in the margin of error it should have had (for the launch systems that is). I don't know.

Oh well, at least this generation's been GREAT for games, if the hardware has me scratching my head for a hundred different reasons!

A BenQ according to this. I have a Halo edition 360 that I won that has a BenQ and died literally days after the 1 year warranty expired. I got an Elite in December. 4 months and have the exact same disc drive issue. It'll say reading for several seconds and make all sorts of fun noises like it's trying to read the disc and then it'll change to open tray as if there's no disc inside.

[quote name='skiizim']My xbox is out of warranty and I was shipped a coffin but I wasn't charged anything to get it fixed. Is that a fluke or are they going to charge me when I get it back? I just don't know what to think of it.[/QUOTE]

They don't charge you until the repair is complete. And obviously, if it's out of warranty, and you did not provide them with a credit card, they will contact you before they do any repair.
Alternatively, they could file it under a normal 3 year RROD defect, and charge you nothing, but that's unlikely.

Grr my elite just gave me the e74 error. The last few days I has getting artifacts on my avatar picture and in some games. Question. I have any extra 360 laying around. Can I just slap my hard drive on it and play with my existing gametag until my new elite comes back from MSFT or will that cause problems with DLC. OR am I better off restoring my gametag to the temp console and than back to the new console? Just want to play some stuff online and need my gold gamertag for that but I have a boat load of dlc content that I want to be able to access without being connected to live in the future ie rock band songs, games etc.

bread's done
Back