XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

When I tried to request a repair online it said cost of repair:$99.99 even though it also says in-warranty. >_> I tried selecting all the other options and it would load a new price but they were all $99.99 lol. RAAAAGE

I've got a question - I got the RROD today.

Online the Console Warranty says expired 5/27/2007

Now, I was able to submit the RROD online with $0 cost, does that mean my Xbox 360 is covered?

I would think the 3 year warranty would have expired on 5/27/2009.

Though, I don't recall the manufacturing date, it was in 2006, somewhere close to the date MSFT has listed.

I don't even think that is when I bought my console.

Either way, I shipped it out with the prepaid label.

I just wanted to check if anyone has been in this scenario, will MSFT repair it for free?

That's what is showed online and I was able to print the shipping label.

Thanks!

i finally got my xbox back today. there seems to be a little problem with the dvd drive though. when you open it up the drive pops out at a normal rate but the last few inches it gets really slow but then when you close it, the drive is fine. is my dvd drive gonna die and should i call support about it now?

Are there some models that do that? I've never heard of an optical drive that does that, but it sounds like it could theoretically be a design thing? Or the tray motor is dyign :D

[quote name='Wolfpup']Are there some models that do that? I've never heard of an optical drive that does that, but it sounds like it could theoretically be a design thing? Or the tray motor is dyign :D[/QUOTE]
well it never used to do that until i sent it in. so im assuming that i should call support at some point

EDIT: I called them up and since I am under warranty they said they would fix it. Yay for sending in my xbox again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody getting a solid screen of green when they turn on their 360? I get sound. My console works with VGA, but not with component. Tried 2 component cables in different ports on my TV. :/

Also (interestgingly) 1-800-4my-xbox can't send me an empty box because xbox live is down. Told me to call back or go online tomorrow.

Sweet, just ordered Rock Band 2 online and now I have an E74 error. Can't wait to not play it! And of course Microsoft's support is down for the day. Today sucks.

[quote name='lordwow']Anyone have any suggestions for what to use as a box now that they don't send out a coffin?[/QUOTE]

Read the FAQ which gives you specs on the size of the coffin, you could find something like a DVD/VCR player box to ship it in. Just pad the thing real good and you should be good to go!

I don't think the repair center is gonna freak out when they see a DVD/VCR box at the center as long as the tag scans, your good to go!

That seriously sucks if they're not doing that. I'd gladly pay more for it. That's like when Nintendo didn't bother giving me any info on how to ship them my Wii.

[quote name='decrot']I had a e73, not e74, but a e73 error recently. I did the overheat trick briefly and got it to work. Now today, the graphics are starting to go bad. It looks like a bunch of black snow when I try to play RE5 and it also has some NXE glitches as well. Does anyone know if its gonna give me a 3 rrod error soon? I'm actually hoping for this as they don't cover the 1 ring e73 error.[/QUOTE]

hey.

i had the E73 and since there seemed to be no fix i was using the towel trick. i figured once it died id buy a new one.

anyways..long story short, the E73 turned into E74 which is easily fixable...or covered by warrenty. just BE CAREFUL!!! my hard drive went bonkers...not sure if its related..just warning you.

What happened with the hard drive?

And why the HEY don't they include maintenance programs on either system for the drives? Low level checks AND disk defragmentors...

[quote name='Wolfpup']What happened with the hard drive?

And why the HEY don't they include maintenance programs on either system for the drives? Low level checks AND disk defragmentors...[/QUOTE]

Sure they will include an XBOX 360 Hard Drive Maintenance Tool for only 1600 MS Points :roll:

OK, I got the E74 error about two weeks ago, and just got it back from the repair center yesterday. It worked fine for a day, but today I turned it on and got the 3 red rings. I unplugged all the cords, put them back in and now it works. Should I be terrified?

Ugh. Just got the RROD after about nine months of flirting with it. I'm going to have to send it out on Monday, but I'm moving at the end of the month and I don't know which address to put. :whistle2:\

I'd go with the current address. Depending on where you live, if you send it in on Monday, you should get it back around the 20th or earlier. The only thing you really wait for is shipping both ways. As soon as they received mine, they sent out another to me the next day. Whole process took 11 days from the time I sent it.

Hey, my 360 recently got the e74 error(one red light). It's most likely the graphics unit or whatever because the screen became distorted during gameplay. Tried another A/V cable and still got the error. I was thinking of getting it fixed and trading it in(I bought another 360 with in-store warranty. It's a arcade jasper model). Problem is that the 360 that red ringed has been opened up and fixed before(I have gotten the e74 error before). Thus, the warranty is most definitely voided. A better fan has also been put in it. Would MS notice If I got a new warranty sticker and sent it to them? Would they notice the fan? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just bought a RRoD 360 off craigslist, and it seems that it is just within the 3 year extended warranty. When I submitted the repair request it said that the cost was $0. Has anyone had MS try to charge them later if the initial quote was $0?

Thanks!

Hey guys, new to the forum here so I hope this is the right spot for this....
Well my 360 that I got in Jan. 08 gave me an e74 error today.
I filled everything out online and when I went to print out my shipping label the window opened up and there was just a red x below the part where it says "Fold Here". I tried this a couple times then called the support line. The rep said to wait about 15 minutes and refresh the browser or login again and try.
A couple hours later I go back online and try again, same result. Called the support line again and spoke to another rep and he said I would get an email with the label to print by tomorrow. I have one e-mail with a link to the label print out page on the support site, is that what he was talking about? because it still doesn't work, any ideas on what I should do?

EDIT: nevermind I just deleted my request, and it reprinted when i resubmitted my repair request thing, thanks anyways guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently got RRoD, Xbox has worked flawlessly for over 2 years (May 2006 manufacture date, bought on eBay in Jan 07). I was on vacation for 2 weeks, which before I left I unplugged all my electronics. When I returned, I plugged everything back in and i was going to watch some Netflix on the Xbox, turn it on and BAMM, RRoD. How the heck did I get RRoD when the damn thing wasn't even plugged in for two weeks!?

Anyways, sent it in to Microsoft last Tuesday and got an email last night (Sunday) it is getting shipped back to me (fixed), so the turnaround is real quick. My question though is when I was on the phone with the Microsoft CSR he offered me a one year warranty on the xbox for $30 for 1 year, and also mentioned that I could buy additional years for $30/yr. Has anyone taken them up on the warranty? I have the 90 days of the current warranty to decide, what do you folks think?

[quote name='koolmoj']Recently got RRoD, Xbox has worked flawlessly for over 2 years (May 2006 manufacture date, bought on eBay in Jan 07). I was on vacation for 2 weeks, which before I left I unplugged all my electronics. When I returned, I plugged everything back in and i was going to watch some Netflix on the Xbox, turn it on and BAMM, RRoD. How the heck did I get RRoD when the damn thing wasn't even plugged in for two weeks!?

Anyways, sent it in to Microsoft last Tuesday and got an email last night (Sunday) it is getting shipped back to me (fixed), so the turnaround is real quick. My question though is when I was on the phone with the Microsoft CSR he offered me a one year warranty on the xbox for $30 for 1 year, and also mentioned that I could buy additional years for $30/yr. Has anyone taken them up on the warranty? I have the 90 days of the current warranty to decide, what do you folks think?[/QUOTE]

they cant guarantee how much longer ur xbox will last if they ask u to buy a waranty after repair. funny, this means a person should be able to get another warranty on their xbox after the 3 yrs.

[quote name='koolmoj']Recently got RRoD, Xbox has worked flawlessly for over 2 years (May 2006 manufacture date, bought on eBay in Jan 07). I was on vacation for 2 weeks, which before I left I unplugged all my electronics. When I returned, I plugged everything back in and i was going to watch some Netflix on the Xbox, turn it on and BAMM, RRoD. How the heck did I get RRoD when the damn thing wasn't even plugged in for two weeks!?

Anyways, sent it in to Microsoft last Tuesday and got an email last night (Sunday) it is getting shipped back to me (fixed), so the turnaround is real quick. My question though is when I was on the phone with the Microsoft CSR he offered me a one year warranty on the xbox for $30 for 1 year, and also mentioned that I could buy additional years for $30/yr. Has anyone taken them up on the warranty? I have the 90 days of the current warranty to decide, what do you folks think?[/QUOTE]

they cant guarantee how much longer ur xbox will last if they ask u to buy a waranty after repair. funny, this means a person should be able to get another warranty on their xbox after the 3 yrs.

[quote name='Achuba Nanoia']That happened with me a couple of times, playing installed games too. Man, I hope these Jasper's don't get problems, because I'd have no way to send it to Microsoft here.[/QUOTE]

Freezing/unresponsive has been happening on my 360 Jasper. MFG 3-25-09. 1.5 months old. Screen Freezes and the system becomes unresponsive (can't even turn off the controller). :roll:

Happens randomly and after more than 3 hours of play.

Game was on disc, not HDD. Music or background noise still plays sometimes though. Strange.

I tried playing UFC yesterday, and the game locked up. Turned off the system, tried again, same thing. Turned it off, unplugged everything, tried again, and got a number of errors ranging from one red light (lower right), two alternating (top left/bottom right), and the dreaded ring 'o doom.

My manuf. date on my refurb system was 6/24/06, so I'm out of the three year warranty range. I called support and complained a little (even mentioned that this wouldn't happen on a Sony system), and I was suddenly back in warranty. Sending it back today - let's hope they're speedy about replacements. Maybe I'll actually get a newer system back.

[quote name='christen25']they cant guarantee how much longer ur xbox will last if they ask u to buy a waranty after repair. funny, this means a person should be able to get another warranty on their xbox after the 3 yrs.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking, I'm almost thinking it's worth it. My xbox 360 will be totally out out warranty after October (3yrs for RRoD is up and the 90 days after repair will be done.) $30 bucks (or however how many years I can get) is cheaper than a new console.

guys my xbox got messed up and i sent it to microsoft and when it came back it didnt had my stuff on it like my movies and my add ons. luckly i only had 1 movie and halo n cod 4 map packs on it

now microsoft wont give me my mappacks quote " you should have backed it up" i didnt know i was suppose to i thought they wre gonna fix it give it back to me and i dont wana waste my money since the new mw2 is comin

so if any1 know a way i can get my stuff back or has a mappack code plz let me know

[quote name='YunGJoT']guys my xbox got messed up and i sent it to microsoft and when it came back it didnt had my stuff on it like my movies and my add ons. luckly i only had 1 movie and halo n cod 4 map packs on it

now microsoft wont give me my mappacks quote " you should have backed it up" i didnt know i was suppose to i thought they wre gonna fix it give it back to me and i dont wana waste my money since the new mw2 is comin

so if any1 know a way i can get my stuff back or has a mappack code plz let me know[/QUOTE]

Ok first of all. You should be able to transfer the license to get your map pack back.

[quote name='YunGJoT']guys my xbox got messed up and i sent it to microsoft and when it came back it didnt had my stuff on it like my movies and my add ons. luckly i only had 1 movie and halo n cod 4 map packs on it

so if any1 know a way i can get my stuff back or has a mappack code plz let me know[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol:Of course the unit that comes back won't have anything on it...that's cause you're not supposed to send in your hard-drive.

Any content that was downloaded via your ID will be available for you to re-download once the unit comes back. And finally, any content that gives you a license problem can be solved via a license transfer.

If you do need to do a license transfer make sure you do it right the first time. If I remember correctly, you only get one a year. It sounds like microsoft is not being very forgiving to you, so don't mess this up!

It's all tied to your gamertag so you can redownload it. You can transfer the license for the content to your new system on xbox.com. I suggest doing the license transfer first, otherwise you will likely have to redownload everything to properly associate it with your console. Fortunately since you don't appear to have much content, it won't be a long process.

So, now that the OP's problem has been responded to, so I'll just say that the user "Danzig" needs to have an appropriate avatar if he is going to take that username.

Got my Xbox back yesterday, 9 day turnaround, not bad at all. Also got the quiet Benq drive in my new Xbox! Waaaay quieter than the old drive.

Well I have just received my second 3 ROD and now I am at a crossroads. I called up 1-800-4MY-XBOX and was informed that my 360 is no longer under the warranty and if I decide to send it, that it will cost me $100 to fix the 360.

Now I am thinking if it is worth it, what will occur if it breaks down again? I am thinking if I should just go ahead and purchase a new 360 so I have 3 additional years of warranty. I don't know what to do, so I decided to post here and hopefully someone will lead me in the right direction.

I wouldn't pay 100 for a refurbished one. Every refurbished one I've ever got from them didn't last long, and some of them had problems from the start. I guess I would just buy a core system.

[quote name='KaneRobot']

So, now that the OP's problem has been responded to, so I'll just say that the user "Danzig" needs to have an appropriate avatar if he is going to take that username.[/QUOTE]

i agree

Well im guessing you sent you Hardrive with the 360 which you shouldn't have done but you could easily do a license transfer and download everything back free of cost but not the movie because they are only rentals.

So, what are the chances of getting my old halo 3 360 or another halo 360. I already sent it in and its being repaired, but now I'm worrying. It would suck if I just got white on back.

bread's done
Back