XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

Not red ring exactly, but close enough:

I'm buying a new 360 and need to do a license transfer, but I've done one within the last year. If I call support will they be able to allow tme to do it again while I'm on the phone with them? Or will it be a long process?

got my elite back. well got a new console with the jasper core! 9/22/09 manufacture date! so that's rad. the only thing is it's got a high pitched whine that my old system didn't have. kinda annoying and i hope it goes away after a break in period.

[quote name='subieracer']got my elite back. well got a new console with the jasper core! 9/22/09 manufacture date! so that's rad. the only thing is it's got a high pitched whine that my old system didn't have. kinda annoying and i hope it goes away after a break in period.[/QUOTE]
Check again, are you sure the label doesn't say "Service Date?"

Got my first RROD today - it was about time, the damn thing had been freezing after 10 minutes every time I tried to play for about a week.

Anyway, there's no option for me to get a coffin - just an option to print the label or have them send it to me. Any suggestions for a good place to get a good-sized box? Might just scrounge through my apartment building's recycling room to see if I can come up with something.

[quote name='fizzywix']Not red ring exactly, but close enough:

I'm buying a new 360 and need to do a license transfer, but I've done one within the last year. If I call support will they be able to allow tme to do it again while I'm on the phone with them? Or will it be a long process?[/QUOTE]

From what I've read they will simply deny you. It's worth calling if you're close to the year mark, but you could simply be denied.

[quote name='jprev']Got my first RROD today - it was about time, the damn thing had been freezing after 10 minutes every time I tried to play for about a week.

Anyway, there's no option for me to get a coffin - just an option to print the label or have them send it to me. Any suggestions for a good place to get a good-sized box? Might just scrounge through my apartment building's recycling room to see if I can come up with something.[/QUOTE]

UPS store has the perfect size box, since they are the ones doing thousands of returns per day for Microsoft. Otherwise, Staple or a FEdex store may also work for you.

I bought my 360 two years ago today. Just got the E74 error. :bomb:Never gave me any problems before.
Can I send it in with the original box? I think I still have it.

[quote name='TYATHCA']I bought my 360 two years ago today. Just got the E74 error. :bomb:Never gave me any problems before.
Can I send it in with the original box? I think I still have it.[/QUOTE]

No. They specifically ask that you do not send it in with your original box. You'll have to get something else or call and beg/demand a coffin like some are doing.

[quote name='dragonjud']No. They specifically ask that you do not send it in with your original box. You'll have to get something else or call and beg/demand a coffin like some are doing.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I should have known that would be too easy.
I see what I can get at the UPS store. If they want too much I'll see if my friend has any of his old coffins.

Mine gets to go on a field trip tomorrow to the repair center as well. 3 Rings. 14 months old. I dug out the box someone sent me a XBOX in which was a perfect fit for this. Dude did a great job with the foam and what not so it's pretty much just reseal the box and ship it.

Has anyone else had trouble getting the shipping label to display so they can print it? It's not showing up for me when i go to the page to print it.

[quote name='jprev']Has anyone else had trouble getting the shipping label to display so they can print it? It's not showing up for me when i go to the page to print it.[/QUOTE]

AH! That happened to me. I wound up canceling the request and resubmitted it to have the label shipped out. But I will save you the trouble (if you are having the same issue that I did).

For me it was my zip code. Sometimes my number 4 sticks, and so I was short a digit. But if anything is not cool with your address, they won't be able to print you out a UPS label. Hope that fixes it.

I'm just now realizing how terrible 360s are built. Even the new Jasper motherboards. Seriously, I have a RROD console, and it's a piece of garbage. First the GPU overheats, so you have to reflow that and apply the X-Clamp mod. Then the RAM overheats, so you have to reflow that and apply the eraser/penny mod. Then the ANA chip overheats. And it's not even worth fixing because the DVD drive will probably die soon anyway. How can one console have so many overheating problems for so long? Microsoft completely dropped the ball on the 360, and they're not doing all they can to fix it. So glad I have a PS3 too.

For some reason I just keep going with it-maybe because I feel like sooner or later they'll nail it, so I'll be okay.

I've always said if a 360 ever scratches a disc, I'm done with the platform-that's the line for me, since if it wrecks a disc I might desperately want to save to play 10 years from now, what's the point?

But so far I haven't had that happen, thank goodness.

Hi. I've had an Xbox 360 since launch and luckily have avoided the red ring of death....until today. As I've had it since launch I'm not eligible for a free repair (lucky me). I'm going to buy a new one but the question is can I just get away with buying an 'arcade' model and popping on my existing hard drive?

While I'd like the HDMI aspect of an elite my HD is already 120GB and I'm not sure HDMI is worth the extra $100. That said I could buy the elite and sell one of the 120GB HDs. (I do have a transfer kit so what would make the most sense - transfer data or just HD swap?)

I'm curious what others would do in this scenario?

[quote name='MP77']Hi. I've had an Xbox 360 since launch and luckily have avoided the red ring of death....until today. As I've had it since launch I'm not eligible for a free repair (lucky me). I'm going to buy a new one but the question is can I just get away with buying an 'arcade' model and popping on my existing hard drive?

While I'd like the HDMI aspect of an elite my HD is already 120GB and I'm not sure HDMI is worth the extra $100. That said I could buy the elite and sell one of the 120GB HDs. (I do have a transfer kit so what would make the most sense - transfer data or just HD swap?)

I'm curious what others would do in this scenario?[/QUOTE]

Arcade units have HDMI - the only things you get with an Elite are the 120GB HDD and the black case. You can just attach the new hard drive, and then do a license transfer from the old console to the new on the Xbox.com website (note: I'm pretty sure you can transfer licenses only once per year). You'll have to redownload all of your downloadable content, and reinstall any games that are installed to the hard drive. You don't have to do anything with the games saves.

I had to do the same thing when my console died and I bought a new one.

My fifth 360 decided to stop reading discs (first one with that problem), but luckily it is still in warranty since I have only had this one since the end of May. After packing that one up to send in I unpacked another 360 that had not been used since coming back from being repaired. The repaired one gave me an E67 error code. Called and they want to charge me $99 to fix the console that was supposedly fixed already (under warranty for E74 if I remember). They promise that if I pay the $99 the console will be "the same quality as a new 360". I literally laughed outloud as that is not very reassuring. Not sure yet what I am going to do with the E67 console though; I may just buy a memory card and keep it as a spare for when another one breaks.

My 360 only works for about 10 mins, then the fan gets really loud and shuts off with 2 red rings. Not exactly RRoD, but could I just submit it as 3 red lights and get it replace under the warranty? Has anyone done that and gotten the repair for free?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, wow, I got issues with my 360 where I get no video output, I get these tiny dots roll across the scroll across the screen.

So I sort out a repair on xbox.com, fill out the details... and BAM!

"Not in Warranty"

Ok.... now I know for certain that the RROD is covered for 3 years, so ok, this isn't a RROD, but I bought my 360 in Oct 2007, and if my maths is correct, that just over 2 years... However it told me that my warranty went in February, which is about 16 months.

So Microsoft only gave me half the time that a typical 360 owner has... Thanks Microsoft...

Can anyone help me here?

[quote name='septiclemon']Ok.... now I know for certain that the RROD is covered for 3 years,[/QUOTE]

Yup.

so ok, this isn't a RROD,

Uh-oh.

but I bought my 360 in Oct 2007, and if my maths is correct, that just over 2 years...

Why is this confusing? The console is covered under an extended warranty for only RROD and E74 for 3 years. Your error is not RROD or E74. Therefore, your console's error is only covered under the standard 1 year warranty. Two years is greater than one year, so your console is out of the standard warranty period. It will only be covered now if you get RROD or E74.

So Microsoft only gave me half the time that a typical 360 owner has...

No they didn't.

I hate MS, but am too invested in the 360 to get rid of it. Local guys in Craig's list offer to fix it for $40. Is it worth it? Mine will work eventually. I have to turn it off and on a few times first.

I'm looking into buying a used hard drive. Do I have to worry about buying a hard drive that from someone that got the red ring? Does that affect the hard drive at all and can that cause problem for my Xbox? Thanks

[quote name='dino88']I'm looking into buying a used hard drive. Do I have to worry about buying a hard drive that from someone that got the red ring? Does that affect the hard drive at all and can that cause problem for my Xbox? Thanks[/QUOTE]

HDD wont be a problem

Sent mine off for the Texas field trip today. I sent in my Halo 3 Xbox and since they don't manufacture them anymore I figure that I'll for sure get mine back as I would guess they wouldn't have a lot of Halo 3 referbs setting around. Also I was planing on getting a new HD and am worried about having to use the license transfer tool after I get my Xbox back (if it's not mine) and then again when I get a new HD since I can only use it once a year.

I turned my 360 on for the first time in a long time today and was greeted with a required system update. I started the update, but it's been 30 minutes and nothing has happened, and the time displayed is stuck at 2:23. I'm afraid my system froze during a firmware update. I'm afraid to turn it off. Any suggestions? Should I just leave it running and hope something magical happens?

well i just got the 3 red lights, i know it isnt the red ring of death, but looking it up i guess its a hardware problem and i tested my power supply which i know its not it. i had this 360 since launch, never had to turn it in or anything ran perfect since. how much are the repairs or is it just better to just buy a brand new one since the price has gone down considerably.

besides the size of the hard drives, is there a difference with the arcade and elite? i know there have been many chip sets, i havnt been following it but i know they are much better then what was first released. im just trying to figure out whats the best route for this situation.

The 3 red lights are the RROD.

If you got it at launch, you're warranty won't cover it. My friend's RROD'd and he said it'd cost $170 for them to repair it. You're better off buying a brand new one.

Is $50 for a used 120gb hd a good deal? Are there any scams I should look out for? I'll be buying it in person. Thanks again.

few deals right now, arcade with two games from amazon, arcarde with live for a year and CODMW2 at walmart for 250, elite for 260 at amazon it hink, elite with 50 gc at walmart. I had to buy one last week and there were no deals last week which pisses me off. Buy an arcade, it happened to me last week which im still mad about.

[quote name='souljah420']don't the 3 rrod have an extend warranty?[/QUOTE]

They only cover RROD if it's within the first 3 years. OP said he got his console at launch so it wouldn't be covered.

[quote name='icedrake523']The 3 red lights are the RROD.

If you got it at launch, you're warranty won't cover it. My friend's RROD'd and he said it'd cost $170 for them to repair it. You're better off buying a brand new one.[/QUOTE]

Out of warranty repair is $99 if submitted online, or $119 if done over the phone. With a launch 360 though I would probably just replace it with a newer chipset. Probably get some money back selling the RRoD one on Craigslist, somebody is always willing to buy them.

If it's still RRODing wrap it in a towel and get it working enough to trade to GS. Google towel trick, hell even Cheapy has a video on youtube.. OR try to fix it yourself it's not that hard.

This is why you never buy a used 360, it's impossible to know how many towels have surrounded that system.

And for anyone who says buy a PS3: I've had 2 friends who have lost a PS3 in the last month. Yellow light of death and now my other friend is calling Sony about a constant freezing problem thats became a no video at all problem.

[quote name='$hady']If it's still RRODing wrap it in a towel and get it working enough to trade to GS. Google towel trick, hell even Cheapy has a video on youtube.. OR try to fix it yourself it's not that hard.

This is why you never buy a used 360, it's impossible to know how many towels have surrounded that system.

And for anyone who says buy a PS3: I've had 2 friends who have lost a PS3 in the last month. Yellow light of death and now my other friend is calling Sony about a constant freezing problem thats became a no video at all problem.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I just bought a brand spanking new PS3... that had a hard drive fail error within MINUTES of start up :hot::hot::hot::bomb::bomb::bomb:.

But, with the help of Amazon's amazing customer service, I replaced it with another one within a week :applause::applause::applause::D:D:D.

So far, the replacement is working flawlessly.

Ironically, my 360 of over a year hasn't had any problems (knock on wood) yet.

Frick looks like I'm a repeat offender. Mines weird though it started with three red rings. I tried it again a few hours later and got the E-79 one light. Isn't that a hard drive problem could my fix be as easy replacing the hard drive?

So this just started to happen today. First time I've seen this and I feel like I'm on a short path to RROD. Is that what I'm seeing? I put in Fallout 3 as a reference to see if this is happening to all my games, but Fallout did not have the blue dots at all. Actually the white dots were only around certain objects and the game was actually playable. Thoughts?

IMG_0034.jpg

[quote name='ubernes']So this just started to happen today. First time I've seen this and I feel like I'm on a short path to RROD. Is that what I'm seeing? I put in Fallout 3 as a reference to see if this is happening to all my games, but Fallout did not have the blue dots at all. Actually the white dots were only around certain objects and the game was actually playable. Thoughts?

IMG_0034.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Yep. E74 is on the way.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Yep. E74 is on the way.[/QUOTE]

What do I do in the meantime or can I send it in how it is now? I have no single red light. Also if this is a hard drive problem will my files come back fine or is that something I should put on a memory card before I send out? And finally, what causes this? Anything to do with traveling with the hard drive? I did about a month ago, but I was extra careful with it.

Sorry for all the questions. Just not a lot of E74 info in the FAQ. Thanks.

If you're at less than a year, it doesn't matter, you're under warrenty. If it's o ver a year you'll need to either hope it dies in an "approved" wAy, or buy a replacement.

It's the GPU that's defective, it has nothing to do with your hard drive.

You'll wAnt to back up saves of you send it in, or possibly not send in the hard drive (if I'm remembering right you normally hang on to it.

bread's done
Back