XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

That's what I was worried of. No E74 error yet and I don't feel like playing a bunch of hours to get it, but it looks like that's my only choice. I got off the phone with customer service and they said I can send it in but it's not covered by the extended 2 year warranty since there's no error yet.

Anything I can do to speed this up other than just having the system on?

If you leave it on, boot it to a game that has a problem. As far as I'm concerned that's not cheating Microsoft, given it's very clearly a defect with the GPU and whatnot (someone correct me if they feel differently-I'm usually really pissed off by people trying to scam stuff, but to me this doesn't feel like that at all).

If it's not going to die "correctly", you can always get an arcade unit and use your current hard drive.

I should ask-what model Xbox do you have? Falcon? Newer? My Falcon's lasted me the longest so far, though I've had a few weird issues this year (nothing that bad though).

I bought it August 08. Manufacturing date I think is April of 08. So I think that's pre-Falcon. It's just the regular Xbox, not Arcade or Elite. I think they were calling it 'Pro' back then.

edit: well that was quick. just went to boot it up again and boom e74 error.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Sent out my halo system today. Guess we'll see how long this takes and if I actually get a Halo system back. One of the "good" things about this piss poor hardware is that if you have had a system for a while or multiple systems, you probably have an extra coffin sitting around somewhere. I just entered my info online, packed up my system in an old coffin I had and shipped it out.[/QUOTE]

Got my Halo system back last Thursday. Took about 3 weeks total from when I sent the system out. Can't tell if they sent back the same system or not but I'm pretty sure this is a new/refurbished one. It has a Mfg date of 11/21/2009. Although that has to be the refurbish date. Oh well, things seem to be running smoothly so far. Good to see that they actually send you back a special edition console back if that is what you originally sent in.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Got my Halo system back last Thursday. Took about 3 weeks total from when I sent the system out. Can't tell if they sent back the same system or not but I'm pretty sure this is a new/refurbished one. It has a Mfg date of 11/21/2009. Although that has to be the refurbish date. Oh well, things seem to be running smoothly so far. Good to see that they actually send you back a special edition console back if that is what you originally sent in.[/QUOTE]
Check the label again. I bet it says "Service Date" rather than "MFG Date." I had to do a double take when I got mine back and it had a date that was within two to three weeks of when I sent mine in. Of course, the dirt and cigarette smoke smell were other clues that it wasn't a new one.

[quote name='ubernes']I bought it August 08. Manufacturing date I think is April of 08. So I think that's pre-Falcon. It's just the regular Xbox, not Arcade or Elite. I think they were calling it 'Pro' back then.

edit: well that was quick. just went to boot it up again and boom e74 error.[/QUOTE]

Glad it got the e74 error!

If it's April 08 that's almost certainly a Falcon, which was introduced in late '07. (My '07 is a Falcon.) You can tell by looking at the physical power connector on the Xbox unit itself (not the power brick, as that can be anything and doesn't tell you what you have). People post that picture from time to time-the way the power connector is keyed tells you which of the three main revisions it is, but based on the date you can't have Jasper and almost certainly have Falcon.

And...I don't like these stories of dying falcons, darn it! It's supposed to be solid-er :lol:

I had a older pro model which had a manfacturing date from september of 07 and I got it right around that time from a retail store and it last probaly almost 2 years and just recently it couldnt read games right it would all of a sudden get very quiet and then said cannot read disc so I suppose maybe the lens was going out so I kept it and just went out and bought a brand new elite with a mfg date of 08/21/09 so I should be set now I hope

Does anybody know what the longest time it usually takes (from sending it for repairs) to get it back? The Xbox site says 2-3 weeks total, but mine is still being "repaired" after 3 weeks so it has started me to wonder.

And it would have been nice if it had not broken only a few months after the last one.

[quote name='Quintessence']Does anybody know what the longest time it usually takes (from sending it for repairs) to get it back? The Xbox site says 2-3 weeks total, but mine is still being "repaired" after 3 weeks so it has started me to wonder.

And it would have been nice if it had not broken only a few months after the last one.[/QUOTE]
Mine took right at three weeks from label request to getting a refurb back.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Mine took right at three weeks from label request to getting a refurb back.[/QUOTE]

I know it will take at least four or five days for shipping alone to get mine back, and that is putting it at four weeks just there, and now it is right before Christmas.

I really would not be surprised if I did not get it back before Christmas. That would be over five to six weeks if I am lucky. I am very dissatisfied with this.

Just Thought I'd chime in, I sent my RROD Xbox on 12/11 and it was recieved 12/16 and just got my email today 12//21 that they were done repairing and it was shipping back. So not including the Holiday I think it will have taken around 2 weeks. I don't think I can complain, as long as it works when it comes back!

Need a little advice. I think my 360 is on it's death bed. No RROD but in the last several weeks it's been freezing quite a bit on certian games, but plays completly fine fine for others. I went to the 360 website, put in the serial # and it says the warrenty has expired. Any suggestions on what I should do with it?

Hmm.. my friend says he's afraid of playing games on his 360 because his machine will red ring off and on every few times. He also bitched that he read that Modern Warfare 2 was causing people's 360's to red ring.. He better not pull that shit with me because I sent him MW2 as his xmas gift and if he says that to me he will never get shit from me again.

Some people are too quick to blame the game vs the hardware. Yea these games are starting to push the 360 to the limit, but that's MS' fault not the developers.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Seems like every time a "demanding" game comes out, someone is quick to blame the RROD on them. Dead Rising was a big victim of that.[/QUOTE]

Hey even an XBL game will do that too :p

So far so good, my Arcade unit is still going. The batteries on the other hand, not so good.

Soooo basically these "blame the developers" are advocating the Xbox only have NES quality games to put less strain on things? ;)

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I looked at my 360 funny one time, and it died on me.[/QUOTE]

shouldnt of looked into its eyes. thats considered a threat, hombre. you got off easy.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Check the label again. I bet it says "Service Date" rather than "MFG Date." I had to do a double take when I got mine back and it had a date that was within two to three weeks of when I sent mine in. Of course, the dirt and cigarette smoke smell were other clues that it wasn't a new one.[/QUOTE]

Yup you are right, it does say Service Date on it instead of mfg date.

Oh crap. I think I'm RIGHT near the end of Ghostbusters, it completely kicks ass...so what happens? My 2007 Falcon gets an E74!

Fourth system to die, but first Falcon. I knew this was coming this summer when I had it do weird stuff two or three times.

I'm starting to enter info for the repair process, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. If they won't give me a coffin I'm not screwing with it, and I know it'll probably die again anyway, so I wonder if I should just sell it to Gamestop (as a broken system-they've told me they take stuff and just dock some credit) BEFORE I try to register it :whistle2:/

Ugh. Went ahead and filled it out, and it's only offering me a label. On top of that, it sounds like if it doesn't E74 for them there (and it wouldn't shock me if it goes back to working for a while once it cools down), they'll charge me for it.

I don't know what to do. I don't have any clue how to ship the stupid thing, wouldn't trust what they ship back.

On the other hand, if I just trash it, do I replace it? I was thinking of waiting for the 45nm system rumored for this year. If I got a Jasper, I'd want one with a 250GB drive, only I don't care about Call of Duty, so don't want that plastered all over my system. (Can't they have a Mass Effect model? :D )

*sigh* I'm off this week too. Not a HUGE deal since I've got plenty of Playstation games, but I want to finish Ghostbusters while I remember what's going on!

Dang it!

Hello guys I have a quick question. I just bought a black Elite Halo 3/ Fable Bundle system in august, is that particular system known to get RROD? I have the system standing upright but read that it is best to keep it flat (horizontal) any input would be appreciated!

Is it a Jasper? I can't remember when that bundle was released (geez is that a better bundle than what they're offering now-two games people may actually WANT :D )

The only way to tell is by the physical power connection on the console itself. The power supply tells you NOTHING. The label on the unit tells you NOTHING. Both can be for older systems than what you actually have.

Anyway, your best bet is with a Jasper. It's too early to know if that's finally fixed all the problems. Falcon supposedly did, only it didn't . Seems more robust than the original ones, but they still die like mine did.

All Jasper did was shrink the GPU a second time, from 80 to 65nm, but still, it can't hurt.

I've been lucky enough to have my 360 for over 3 years now and haven't had a problem with it yet. It was built in August 06 and bought in November 06. I don't play mine too hard, though, and don't use it to play movies so that might explain the longevity. I also bought a cooler (not a Nyko) for it. The one Gamestop was selling used to be sold in the UK as the Cooler King and wasn't available here for a long time and has more pass through ports than a Nyko or Pelican cooler. I was so happy when I found it being sold by Gamestop because every time I would try to buy one online from the UK I would be stopped at the checkout by a message saying that item cannot be sold outside the UK. Aaaarrrgh! If I wanted one I would have to go to the UK to pick it up or find a contact over there to ship it to me, which made it very expensive.

Got my Xbox back today and it was a different system. It'll be up for sale sometime next week.

I didn't have any problem getting a coffin for free though. I went online and filled out the repair form and they sent a coffin. I didn't believe it at first but I got a shipping invoice the next day and tracking information for a package that was definately on it's way to my house. I guess I just got lucky.

What were your options? Did you actually have the option for a coffin? I only got the option for a label. If they actually send a coffin instead, I'll keep it in case my Jasper dies.

[quote name='Wolfpup']What were your options? Did you actually have the option for a coffin? I only got the option for a label. If they actually send a coffin instead, I'll keep it in case my Jasper dies.[/QUOTE]

There are two other options under Print Shipping Label. I used Label Ship.

Here's the fine print under the options:

You can easily print a shipping label from the Xbox Support Web site. Printing the label yourself will shorten the time it takes to get your console to us for repair. To use this method, you need a printer and a box that you can use to ship your console to us.

Seeing that, I assumed correctly that Label Ship would send a label and coffin to my door. I got it in less than a week and it included the coffin, tape, styrofoam inserts, instructions and shipping label just like it used to.

Here's the fine print when you change it to Label Ship:

You will receive a pre-paid shipping label which will take approximately 4 days to get to you.

I checked again just now to see if I could do it with my new Elite or my refurbished Pro and the option for Label Ship came up under both consoles.

Okay-yeah, I got that option too but it didn't say anything about packaging so I assumed it didn't-that they were just shipping a label. If it's really the whole thing, I wish I'd waited to sell my Falcon and gotten it repaired (and then sold it :whistle2:D )

Would have gotten an extra $50 for it, but oh well :whistle2:/

Hopefully Microsoft wont' be ticked at me for taking a coffin, if that's actually what I get :( (Sorry Microsoft!)

[quote name='depascal22']There are two other options under Print Shipping Label. I used Label Ship.[/QUOTE]

When my console died a couple of months ago, I also used label ship. I got a pre-printed label and a single page of packaging instructions in an envelope, and nothing else.

A friend of mines is having the freezing issue(no rrod yet). His brick is elevated and the console is not hot at all. I advised him to clear the hd cache as well. However, I think it's older than three years so longer covered under warranty. He said that his disc drive sounds really loud. Told him to install a game on hard drive and it froze shortly after attempting to launch the game. Sounds to me like it might be the disc drive. Any other ideas?

[quote name='elmyra']When my console died a couple of months ago, I also used label ship. I got a pre-printed label and a single page of packaging instructions in an envelope, and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it then. I guess I just got lucky.

So I didn't RROD, but after a year and a half of no problems except the occasional freeze, my console did go belly up with an E73 error. I'm sending it in tomorrow, which sucks since I'm out of warranty but oh well.

My question: Do they re-up your warranty after the repair? I think Sony did so when my PS3 bricked, but I'm not sure what Microsoft's policy is. Thanks.

Holy shit. I just got the E74 error. Freaked the fuck out and powered it on and off like half a dozen times. On the last try.. it turned on, no problems. What the fuck? What should I do..?

[quote name='mis0']Holy shit. I just got the E74 error. Freaked the fuck out and powered it on and off like half a dozen times. On the last try.. it turned on, no problems. What the fuck? What should I do..?[/QUOTE]

I guess that depends if it happens again. I assume you didn't just miraculously repair it, but if you did than consider yourself fortunate.

I don't see any reason to send it in until you're sure its broken, after all they're going to fix it anyway once you do.

[quote name='bvharris']I guess that depends if it happens again. I assume you didn't just miraculously repair it, but if you did than consider yourself fortunate.

I don't see any reason to send it in until you're sure its broken, after all they're going to fix it anyway once you do.[/QUOTE]

I just punched it a couple times, then my girlfriend walked over and turned it on and it worked. :cold:

But yeah, the E74 error came back but if I'm persistent enough, I can get it to boot up 10% of the time. Not sure if I should replace the sucker all together or have it repaired (non-hdmi premium console from 8/2006).

Hella sucks too because I JUST got Netflix.. gotta wait for my stupid PS3 disc now.

My console just shit the bed. Saw it coming, though, because it was freezing a lot over the last couple of weeks, and I got the three lights a week ago, but it went away. Finally crapped out for good tonight.

Second one in less than three years. Just under the clock, though, so I'll be shipping it off.

EDIT: Ugh...so, of course, Xbox.com is being a pain in the ass and bouncing back a bunch of errors at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 360 keeps getting the E74 error but I did some stupid shit I saw on Youtube and it turns on once in a while. Not sure what I should do at this point. Haha.

Edit: This is the video I've been using for those who PMed me. Takes me a second try at the most..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hefgS_Y4aWM

Anyone else having issues getting Xbox.com to work properly? Sometimes when I log in and go to request a repair, my proper information shows up. Other times, it doesn't. And even if the info shows up, I am unable to process the repair or even send a message to MS. I either get an error from my web browser or a message from MS that they are unable to process the request. I looked on the Xbox.com forums and noticed a few other people were having the same issue over the last couple of weeks.

EDIT: Was finally able to get my repair request to process. I'm thinking about just picking up an Arcade unit. My fiancee can get me it for about $180 after her employee discount. As much as I hate spending more money, I'm just tired of playing this game. As soon as I got this last refurb, I knew it was going to die. They are just gonna keep me sending me older, refurbed units, so I know the next one will die, too.

Anyway, how much do you think I can get for the unit that MS sends me back on Craigslist? I would trade it in at GS, because they have that $20 promo, but that is gonna end the 24th, so I obviously won't have the unit by then.

So, of course, nothing is ever easy or clear-cut when it comes to Microsoft. As I said earlier, I finally got my repair request processed, and everything looked good. Printed my shipping label, packed up my machine (had some supplies sitting around), and brought it to the UPS store. The young man there scanned it, gave me my receipt, and I was happy knowing I would have my machine back in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Weeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, a little while ago, I start checking everything out. One, the label Microsoft had me print up has a tracking number that directs me to a package that was allegedly delivered in 2008. Huh? It does say on the bottom of the page that billing info was received earlier in the day, around the time that the repair request was processed, but there isn't anything else. I know UPS is really pretty up-to-date on their info, so I would think there was some kind of acknowledgment that the package was dropped off and likely picked up (I dropped it off at the store pretty early).

Then, when I checked my e-mail right after that, I discover I have been sent another UPS pre-paid label. This one is from a UPS e-mail address, and it, of course, has a different tracking number.

Now, when I log onto Xbox.com to check the status of the repair, the original label and tracking number are still tied to the request. I have shot MS an e-mail, but I know those usually get bounced back with some kind of generic, flowchart answer. I would call them, but we all know I will get a similar, flowchart answer.

EDIT: Well, the box did leave the city and go to the nearest UPS facility, so that's good news. Xbox.com still has not been updated, but I'm not too concerned now that the UPS label is clearly valid. Both of them had the same service number attached, so as long as they have that, I should be good.

I think mine is about to die, it took about a minute and a half to boot up twice today. The thing just sat there on the XBox logo and then eventually came up. I originally posted in the forum that I thought my drive was going bad, but after this I'm wondering if the system board is just crapping out and to expect a RROD or E74 within the next week or so. Oh well, I can live without it for a month (time to spend with my PS3) but it pains me that this will be XBox #4 since Dec '06.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']So, of course, nothing is ever easy or clear-cut when it comes to Microsoft. As I said earlier, I finally got my repair request processed, and everything looked good. Printed my shipping label, packed up my machine (had some supplies sitting around), and brought it to the UPS store. The young man there scanned it, gave me my receipt, and I was happy knowing I would have my machine back in a couple of weeks, hopefully.

Weeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, a little while ago, I start checking everything out. One, the label Microsoft had me print up has a tracking number that directs me to a package that was allegedly delivered in 2008. Huh? It does say on the bottom of the page that billing info was received earlier in the day, around the time that the repair request was processed, but there isn't anything else. I know UPS is really pretty up-to-date on their info, so I would think there was some kind of acknowledgment that the package was dropped off and likely picked up (I dropped it off at the store pretty early).

Then, when I checked my e-mail right after that, I discover I have been sent another UPS pre-paid label. This one is from a UPS e-mail address, and it, of course, has a different tracking number.

Now, when I log onto Xbox.com to check the status of the repair, the original label and tracking number are still tied to the request. I have shot MS an e-mail, but I know those usually get bounced back with some kind of generic, flowchart answer. I would call them, but we all know I will get a similar, flowchart answer.

EDIT: Well, the box did leave the city and go to the nearest UPS facility, so that's good news. Xbox.com still has not been updated, but I'm not too concerned now that the UPS label is clearly valid. Both of them had the same service number attached, so as long as they have that, I should be good.[/QUOTE]

I got the same thing. I used xbox.com's shipping label, then received another ups label from auto-notify@ups. My sent package, with xbox.com's label, has reached Mesquite, Texas, but Xbox.com has not updated the repair status.

Is the e-mail the tracking number for when it gets back to us?

bread's done
Back