Xbox 360 RPGs

FrankySox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
I'm currently searching for some RPGs I may have overlooked. I enjoy all kinds of RPGs but prefer JRPGs. Below is a list of all the RPGs I own, and was hoping someone could recommend a title I may have overlooked or that diamond in the rough title. I can't say I've really ever played an RPG I didn't enjoy but I rarely take chances on what I play, so hopefully there are still some good titles out there worth playing.

Blue Dragon
Dragon Age 1 & 2
Eternal Sonata
Fable 2 & 3
Final Fantasy 13
Fallout 3 & New Vegas
Infinite Undiscovery
Lost Odyssey (my personal favorite)
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Nier
Oblivion
Star Ocean The Last Hope
Tales of Vesperia

The Last Remnant
Operation Darkness
Zoids Assault
Spectral Force 3
Enchanted Arms
Magna Carta 2
Record of Agarest War

Euro RPGs:

Arcania
Risen
Divinity 2 (Atlus version)
Sacred 2
Two Worlds 1 & 2

[quote name='nnthomas']The Last Remnant
Operation Darkness
Zoids Assault
Spectral Force 3
Enchanted Arms
Magna Carta 2
Record of Agarest War

Euro RPGs:

Arcania
Risen
Divinity 2 (Atlus version)
Sacred 2
Two Worlds 1 & 2[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, all right. I was looking at Divinity 2 but I heard there are so many bugs that it's almost unplayable, otherwise it did look interesting. Record of Agarest War looks good, I think I'll definitely try that one out.

[quote name='nnthomas']The Atlus version is leagues better, and includes the expansion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking at Risen and Record of Agarest, unless there are two you would recommend specifically from your list?

Ok thanks a bunch I went with Last Remnant (I love music in RPGs so looking forward to that soundtrack) and Sacred 2. I'll pick up Two Worlds 2 when it drops a little in price.

Last Remnant has a boss battle at the end of disc 1 that kills the entire game.

Operation Darkness is one of those games that I always wanted to play but never wanted to pay the going rate. On the downside it's extremely slow and one battle can take over an hour and sometimes I can't sit that long for a game.

Don't forget the Command & Concquer games if you're into RTS

This may be a little left field, but Costume Quest on XBLA is one of the best RPGs I've played this gen. It's quite short in length but has a rock solid classic-JRPG-esque turn-based battle system, and it's just super charming and a ton of fun.

If you're interested in phantasy star, pick up the sonic's ultimate genesis collection, it comes with all 4 phantasy stars, the 3 shining forces, beyond oasis and some dungeon crawler I remember being okay too like nethack.

It's super cheap and if you are into achievements an incredibly easy 1000 gamer score too!

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom is a 4 player co-op action RPG. Technically the game is fine but it's incredibly repetitive and linear.

[quote name='nnthomas']Torchlight as well on XBLA

edit: Duh, I dunno why I left this one out.

Resonance of Fate[/QUOTE]

Yeah I played torchlight, I really enjoyed it but it was pretty short. Resonance of Fate is another I've looked at before, I'll probably eventually grab it.

I'll also look into costume quest, never heard of it.

Costume Quest is one of the 4 downloadable games Tim Schaefer has done post-Brutal Legend and it shows his team is best in the downloadable space.

If you end up liking Costume Quest, I would highly suggest the 2 Penny Arcade Adventures games. The gameplay style is VERY similar. It may be best to get them on Steam/PS3 however, as you might catch the bundle of 2 games on sale again for $3 TOTAL. It'll cost you $20 to buy the 2 games on XBox.

In terms of upcoming retail games, outside of Skyrim of course, I would steer clear of Dungeon Siege 3 (demo is out there though) and I would look towards LotR: War in the North. This is a hack-and-slash game done by Snowblind Studios, who did the Baldur's Gate/Champions of Norath games on PS2.

If you've never played Oblivion, you should look into pre-ordering the 5th Anniversary Edition that comes out next month. $30 gets you the game, the 2 DLC expansion packs that sell for $40 seperately, the original CE content (bonus disk and map,) all in a Steelbook tin with a $10 off coupon for Skyrim. Since Bethesda has said it's only printing 250k copies of it, it also has collector's value if you wish to sell it later.

If you can find it cheap, Arcania: Gothic 4 seemed pretty good with the hour I put into the demo. I liked it much better than Divinity 2 Atlus version demo.

Also if you want the 360 Signature Edition of Dragon Age 2, my Gamestop still has 2 copies of it: 1 sealed, 1 gut.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ryuukishi']This may be a little left field, but Costume Quest on XBLA is one of the best RPGs I've played this gen. It's quite short in length but has a rock solid classic-JRPG-esque turn-based battle system, and it's just super charming and a ton of fun.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. CQ is as much an old school 16 bit feeling turn-based RPG as you'll find these days. Excellent game with great humor. Length is just right for a downloadable title, as well. I even loved the DLC "Grubbins on Ice". Solid purchase and there is a deal on it right now.

bread's done
Back