Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kurrptsenate']RRoD was changed to E74, which will turn into something else. They won't call it the same thing again, but it's the same hardware problem[/QUOTE]

so you already know that the new chip and bad soldering will cause the system to overheat? How did you get in touch with Microsoft to get a test unit so fast?

[quote name='confoosious']And if they made it the size of the current 360, where would the NEW come from? shiny black?[/QUOTE]

Come now, you asked a question I answered. Never said I didnt agree with keeping the PSU separate. Which I do, for all sorts of reasons.

EDIT: For the record I'm considering getting one, if I can get a decent trade in deal on a new unit.

[quote name='confoosious']so you already know that the new chip and bad soldering will cause the system to overheat? How did you get in touch with Microsoft to get a test unit so fast?[/QUOTE]

I think that dude is a Sony fanboy unless he already has a new 360 and did extensive research.

[quote name='confoosious']so you already know that the new chip and bad soldering will cause the system to overheat? How did you get in touch with Microsoft to get a test unit so fast?[/QUOTE]

you're being facetious if you think it will be different. how many different motherboards/chip sets have they tried with the same outcome?

sony fanboy? hardly....

burned by 6 different 360s? Yes

[quote name='oasisboy']I think that dude is a Sony fanboy unless he already has a new 360 and did extensive research.[/QUOTE]

I can guantee you he never got the new 360. My post was dripping with sarcasm since he obviously is a douche who is just talking out of his ass.

I hate sony/xbox/wii fanboys. It's so dumb. Each system has its pros and cons.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']you're being facetious if you think it will be different. how many different motherboards/chip sets have they tried with the same outcome?[/quote]

:roll:

i'm not saying I know anything about motherboards but uh... where's your engineering degree?

chances are that there will be some rate of failure in the new slims. Every electronics item has some rate of failure. But you're just talking out of your ass about what and why those failures will be. I'm sorry you got burned by 6 xboxes (probably shouldve bought a PS3) but you're just being a disgruntled consumer. You have absolutely no idea what these slims will do.

[quote name='Vader582']Agreed. I like being able to pop my HDD off and put it on any 360 in the house. I guess data transfer to the 720 is all but dead.:roll:[/QUOTE]
You know you can use a flash drive to move saves around too.

[quote name='confoosious']I can guantee you he never got the new 360. My post was dripping with sarcasm since he obviously is a douche who is just talking out of his ass.

i'm not saying I know anything about motherboards but uh... where's your engineering degree?[/QUOTE]
In a display on my office desk at home. :lol:

[quote name='confoosious']I can guantee you he never got the new 360. My post was dripping with sarcasm since he obviously is a douche who is just talking out of his ass.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7305176

i'm not saying I know anything about motherboards but uh... where's your engineering degree?[/QUOTE]

Edit: Of course no one knows what these slims would do. It's all here say at this point, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are stacked in my favor. Saying "all electronics have rate of failure" is just the crap M$ tried to feed all the people that suffered from RRoD until it was proven the failure rate was much higher than they had the public believe.

My comment was that of a "realist" one. Yours is more aligned with a "fanboy" comment. You're just deflecting the facts, really. They have had a WELL KNOWN history of hardware failures in about 5 different attempts. To think this new, 6th attempt would be different is an exercise in futility.

Who's the douche?

[quote name='Jodou']I'm really surprised at the willingness of people to fork over $300 for what should have been a free upgrade to every 360 owner on the planet.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what makes you think every 360 owner (which includes me) should be entitled to a free upgrade.

[quote name='pjb16']In a display on my office desk at home. :lol:[/QUOTE]
if true, i'm more inclined to listen to you. I like expert opinions.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']My comment was that of a "realist" one. Yours is more aligned with a "fanboy" comment. You're just deflecting the facts, really. They have had a WELL KNOWN history of hardware failures in about 5 different attempts. To think this new, 6th attempt would be different is an exercise in futility.

Who's the douche?[/QUOTE]

No, my opinion is that I'll wait and see. Because I'm not a crybaby msft hater. Your opinion is based on nothing but anger towards microsoft and the xbox. Who's talking out of their ass?

So I don't have a 360 but I'm looking to get one for the highest possible value ratio. I have $50 in Amazon credit, should I pick up an Arcade now or wait till they introduce the Arcade replacement later this summer for 199?

My main reason for getting this new console is it is "whisper quiet". while my original xbox is "Hurricane Loud"

[quote name='confoosious']No, my opinion is that I'll wait and see. Because I'm not a crybaby msft hater. Your opinion is based on nothing but anger towards microsoft and the xbox. Who's talking out of their ass?[/QUOTE]

Yours truly as it's based on assumptions and you're lumping anyone that has a problem with M$ track history as "haters". I don't hate M$ anymore or less than the next guy. It doesn't mean I'm going to be less speculative about one of the cheapest home consoles ever to hit shelves.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']RRoD was changed to E74, which will turn into something else. They won't call it the same thing again, but it's the same hardware problem[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kurrptsenate']you're being facetious if you think it will be different. how many different motherboards/chip sets have they tried with the same outcome?

sony fanboy? hardly....

burned by 6 different 360s? Yes[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm on my fifth. IMO it's too early to know if Jasper really fixed things. Falcon was going to for sure, and sure didn't. This could have issues too. I will say that the only system I HAVEN'T replaced yet is my Playstation 3. Second Wii has acted up a bit too, and I've had disc read errors on the new-in-January Xbox.

I've kept buying games for Xbox under the assumption they'll fix it sooner or later, and that maybe every revision gets a little closer.

While I'm not that worried about this new Xbox, I don't think it's unreasonable to question it either.

You: 5 failures means the slim will fail.
Me: I'll wait and see if the slim has failure problems.

Who is making assumptions?

Perhaps you don't know the meaning of the word assumption?

wolfpup = he didn't question. he said the slim will have the same hardware problems as all previous generations. Again, how does he know? He doesn't. He's just vaginal sore because he's had really bad luck with xboxes.

[quote name='kurrptsenate']Edit: Of course no one knows what these slims would do. It's all here say at this point, but if I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are stacked in my favor. Saying "all electronics have rate of failure" is just the crap M$ tried to feed all the people that suffered from RRoD until it was proven the failure rate was much higher than they had the public believe.

My comment was that of a "realist" one. Yours is more aligned with a "fanboy" comment. You're just deflecting the facts, really. They have had a WELL KNOWN history of hardware failures in about 5 different attempts. To think this new, 6th attempt would be different is an exercise in futility.

Who's the douche?[/QUOTE]

Those 5 attempts were very, very similar though.

I mean this is a redesign and if it has issues it will be its own. I'm not saying it will be issue-less, but there is definite reason to believe the 6th attempt would be different.

yeah maybe if they announce a slim/kinect bundle for $250 i might upgrade but until then i will just turn up my tv volume until i don't hear my 360

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I'm on my fifth. IMO it's too early to know if Jasper really fixed things. Falcon was going to for sure, and sure didn't. This could have issues too. I will say that the only system I HAVEN'T replaced yet is my Playstation 3. Second Wii has acted up a bit too, and I've had disc read errors on the new-in-January Xbox.

I've kept buying games for Xbox under the assumption they'll fix it sooner or later, and that maybe every revision gets a little closer.

While I'm not that worried about this new Xbox, I don't think it's unreasonable to question it either.[/QUOTE]

I'd say you are one of the few others that have an objective view about this new system. There's nothing wrong with hoping they'll "eventually" get it right, but unfortunately not everyone has the patience for them to do so.

Has anyone checked if Walmart dropped their in-store prices yet? Any word on if we can get an Arcade for the $150 price point along with the $50 gift card?

[quote name='confoosious']if true, i'm more inclined to listen to you. I like expert opinions.

No, my opinion is that I'll wait and see. Because I'm not a crybaby msft hater. Your opinion is based on nothing but anger towards microsoft and the xbox. Who's talking out of their ass?[/QUOTE]
Eh, it's a chemical engineering degree so I really am not an expert on hardware like this. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night (seriously). :)

[quote name='pjb16']Eh, it's a chemical engineering degree so I really am not an expert on hardware like this. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night (seriously). :)[/QUOTE]

at least you didn't say you were a sanitation engineer.

[quote name='pjb16']You know you can use a flash drive to move saves around too.[/QUOTE]
When you find 160gb flash drive, let me know. That's how much data I would have to transfer.

They keep talking about how "the fans" are whisper-quiet. It's the damn disc drive that's loud as hell. I'm going to guess that it is the same...

[quote name='mailman27']So I don't have a 360 but I'm looking to get one for the highest possible value ratio. I have $50 in Amazon credit, should I pick up an Arcade now or wait till they introduce the Arcade replacement later this summer for 199?[/QUOTE]
If it's $50 in VG credit you may want to watch your expiration date. The credit may be gone before new arcades are available.

[quote name='confoosious']You: 5 failures means the slim will fail.
Me: I'll wait and see if the slim has failure problems.

Who is making assumptions?

Perhaps you don't know the meaning of the word assumption?

wolfpup = he didn't question. he said the slim will have the same hardware problems as all previous generations. Again, how does he know? He doesn't. He's just vaginal sore because he's had really bad luck with xboxes.[/QUOTE]

read my statement ya clown. Never did I write "slim will fail". I wrote that M$, when confronted with the same problem (overheating) will change one "error" (RRoD) into another euphemism (E74). Let's assume the new slim has a failure rate, which you so obviously stated earlier that "all electronics have a failure rate", they will undoubtedly come up with yet another name to call the same problem.

try brushing up on your comprehension skills. it would lead to less problems for yourself

Aren't you saying the slim will have the same hardware problem? After all, are we discussing Arcades here? or the wii?

And your subsequent posts basically said you don't trust microsoft to fix the problems in the first 5 attempts on the 6th one.

hmmm... you should be in politics. You can backpedal really well.

Ya, who knows how quiet this slim will be...Xbox and Sony had the slims in dev since day one its a cheap and dirty way to get people to buy more just when sales are at their peek....not to mention for all we know when the "crowd" cheered...that could be the whisper quiet they were talking about...still quieter than my current system = P

[quote name='confoosious']nice backpedaling.

Aren't you saying the slim will have the same hardware problem? After all, are we discussing Arcades here? or the wii?[/QUOTE]

You're hopeless and clasping for straws. You habitually miss every point and resort to ambiguous name calling.

Regardless of failures the return on investment we get from these systems is unmatched. I mean heck the price of a single movie ticket is well above 10 dollars for less than 2 hours. With how many hours we put on our systems even if they fail after a year it was money well spent. I admit I want the newer version, but I dont really need it yet as my current xbox is fine. I have a feeling its going to last a long time since I install every game I play to the hard drive. The 2 xbox's I had issues with were from dvd read errors. Besides, I figure theyll come out with a "special" halo version in September.

[quote name='confoosious']

In a box in the basement somewhere. Though I have a laminated business card sized copy in my wallet. ;)

Plus, I *do* work with circuit board assembly everyday (even though technically, I'm a rocket scientist: BSAAE UIUC '99).

[quote name='kurrptsenate']you're being facetious if you think it will be different. how many different motherboards/chip sets have they tried with the same outcome?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kurrptsenate'] I'd say the odds are stacked in my favor.
They have had a WELL KNOWN history of hardware failures in about 5 different attempts. To think this new, 6th attempt would be different is an exercise in futility.
[/QUOTE]

First off, facetious doesn't mean what you think it means.

But more importantly, while you're technically right that you never said "slim will fail," you all but said it, no? I mean, how exactly am I interpreting your above statements incorrectly?

And of course, my whole point is that you don't know if it will have the same hardware problems because you don't have one to test. (And I'm still waiting to see what engineering credentials you have.) You're just talking out of your ass/anger. So unless you have pics of your test unit, gtfo.

See ya!

[quote name='Vader582']When you find 160gb flash drive, let me know. That's how much data I would have to transfer.

They keep talking about how "the fans" are whisper-quiet. It's the damn disc drive that's loud as hell. I'm going to guess that it is the same...[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm not going to mind quieter fans, but after hearing people claim other Xbox models are 'whisper quiet' I'm not believing it until I hear it myself. My Jasper, Falcon, and originals all sound EXACTLY the same.

There's supposed to be variation in fans used, the bearings I guess, but 5 of 5 of mine are no where near whisper quiet, but not horrible either when you just hear the fans. But it's the drive that's unbearable. I would have standardized on Playstation 2 years ago if Microsoft hadn't done that awesome install to drive feature.

Hmm...I wonder if Seagate's new Momentus XT line would have any benefit in a game console? There's a HUGE benefit in Windows, but obviously the usage is really different. Maybe if you're playing a game for a long time though it would end up caching most of it? Hmm...if I do get an 's' unit, I might just go with a 500GB Momentus XT for the heck of it :whistle2:D

(I wonder if my current 20GB drive is getting iffy. Sounds like it's clicking/resetting itself more often than I used to remember, though maybe it just spins down or something.)

While its great to see a new revision of the Xbox theres no way to tell how reliable it will be until several months from now. The chipsize and fan arent the only variables when it comes to stress on the board. They could have changed substrates, such as the heatsink, board material, or die composition; which in effect would vary the CTE mismatch between bonded areas. They could have changed the solder by composition or to a thermally conductive adhesive which again could vary the CTE mismatch. For those that arent familiar with CTE its basically the rate at which and object shrinks or expands based on temperature and varies greatly depending on the material. If the CTE mismatch is too great without proper heat dissipation the part will fail after thermal cycling (basically use of the system). We're just going to have to wait and see how it holds up to know for sure.

[quote name='seanr1221']Looked around Montgomeryville, PA today for fun and didn't find any.[/QUOTE]

Just for fun, or for a "good time" ;)

Been calling around the chicago area, so far no one has got them, most places are saying this weekend... ugh I really wanted to pick one up today. Anyone have any luck yet?

[quote name='jd10984']Been calling around the chicago area, so far no one has got them, most places are saying this weekend... ugh I really wanted to pick one up today. Anyone have any luck yet?[/QUOTE]

I think it might be at least a day or two before any brick and mortal stores have them...The only way MS kept this a secret as well as they did was by sitting on the units and not shipping any to anyone in advance of the announcement. Amazon can move a bit faster since their stuff is only going to main shipping facilities and then out the door....Retail stores will have to get the hardware to their main facilities, where they will be pieced out to each store and then trucked to the stores, which will likely add at least 48 hours (if not longer) to the process.

[quote name='K_G']I think it might be at least a day or two before any brick and mortal stores have them...[/QUOTE]

True, but did you check any immortal stores??? Hmmmm??? ;)

[quote name='bajingo']im selling my jasper with a 120HD w 2 controllers and GOW2 for $150 to a friend, does this seam reasonable to CAGs?[/QUOTE]

Better deal that you'd get trading in or than he'd get buying used, so I say fair deal

im happy my 360 broke a month ago and i was supposed to buy a new one this week at walmart.so i guess whenever walmart gets it ill pick it up

[quote name='bajingo']im selling my jasper with a 120HD w 2 controllers and GOW2 for $150 to a friend, does this seam reasonable to CAGs?[/QUOTE]
I'd say your friend is getting the better deal. Still, since he's your friend and you're not trading/selling it to someone else you can still go to his place to grab your old HDD and transfer the data to your new 360.

On another note I bought an Xbox 360 arcade less than a month ago. I'm taking it back to GS because their return policy is within 30 days or less!

[quote name='BingoBrown']True, but did you check any immortal stores??? Hmmmm??? ;)[/QUOTE]

Ah, well, I realize that not everyone on CAG is a highlander such as myself, and thus can't shop at the immortal stores

[quote name='BWOzar']Better deal that you'd get trading in or than he'd get buying used, so I say fair deal[/QUOTE]

Yah, that is a good deal.

[quote name='BWOzar']Better deal that you'd get trading in or than he'd get buying used, so I say fair deal[/QUOTE]

thats what i figured. also, i only know one other person with an 360, so this is great so i can play with someone i know!

bread's done
Back