Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Neo']I've never had problems with anyone but FedEx, it's them every single time. I still don't have my Xbox 360 Slim and I doubt I'll ever get it from the lazy corrupt fuckers at FedEx. I e-mailed Amazon and already got a refund since no one has any idea where my god damn console is that I paid $300+ for.

I can guarantee you that if my payment had been delayed as much of their shipment that they'd be having a cow, but of course the rules are different for the corporations, they think they can get away with anything and everything.[/QUOTE]

things get lost in shipping. relax and stop crying already.

you got your refund.

I just reserved mine at gamestop....i'm 6th in line and they say I should get it by july 9th at the latest. I so don't need it but oh well, only gonna be 90 bucks for it wen all is said and done....not a bad deal

So does this thing really get that hot and shut down? My 360 is NOT in a well ventilated area (it is inside a cabinet but has plenty of room around it - it isn't up against any walls or anything) but the new one I got in November of last year is pretty quiet and has yet to overheat. I want to get the new model because my 20GB HDD just doesn't cut it for me anymore but if this thing is prone to overheating and shutting down I'd rather not...

Anyone think the guy from gamestop was bsing me when he said i wouldn't be able to get a slim until august?

[quote name='Jay']Anyone think the guy from gamestop was bsing me when he said i wouldn't be able to get a slim until august?[/QUOTE]

Well the store I reserved at said she got an email saying July 9th.....but the other store I called (the one closer to me) said August. I've got no idea who's telling the truth but she sounded pretty sure. It could have something to do with # of preorders that store has too

Ok, so really dumb tech question here......don't laugh too much.

Was watching inside xbox and they said there's an optical audio port on the 360 now. What does that mean? Could I put it to my computer speakers and use that instead of my tv speakers? My computer speaker system has more base.....so basically wondering what that optical audio does for me?

[quote name='Jay']Anyone think the guy from gamestop was bsing me when he said i wouldn't be able to get a slim until august?[/QUOTE]

I kind of wanna say he is, they may have a bunch of people who have it reserved. Really though, that's a heck of a long time to wait.

[quote name='jdktech2010']Ok, so really dumb tech question here......don't laugh too much.

Was watching inside xbox and they said there's an optical audio port on the 360 now. What does that mean? Could I put it to my computer speakers and use that instead of my tv speakers? My computer speaker system has more base.....so basically wondering what that optical audio does for me?[/QUOTE]

It's for a surround sound system or some fancy sound system. The older 360's had it on the cables. If your speakers have the digital optical cable/port you can use them. Basically what it does is have multiple channels of sound going through one cable instead of just having stereo sound.

There should be shipments coming in July so you should be able to get it unless there's a really long reserve list at your store

[quote name='Bulbachar']It's for a surround sound system or some fancy sound system. The older 360's had it on the cables. If your speakers have the digital optical cable/port you can use them. Basically what it does is have multiple channels of sound going through one cable instead of just having stereo sound.[/QUOTE]

got ya...thanks

[quote name='javeryh']So does this thing really get that hot and shut down? My 360 is NOT in a well ventilated area (it is inside a cabinet but has plenty of room around it - it isn't up against any walls or anything) but the new one I got in November of last year is pretty quiet and has yet to overheat. I want to get the new model because my 20GB HDD just doesn't cut it for me anymore but if this thing is prone to overheating and shutting down I'd rather not...[/QUOTE]

Between my wife and myself, our new Xbox has been on for, I would guess, an average of 12 hours per day running Netflix since I got it.. which is a record for us really. We have a new baby, and theres not much else to do while holding or feeding an infant (which leaves both hands occupied) than watching movies or TV.

Netflix isn't necessarily the most taxing thing to do on the 360, but we have yet to have any indication of overheating on the new xbox. I haven't had much opportunity to play games since I purchased the new Xbox.. so my input may be of limited use.

[quote name='poker360']http://www.tested.com/new-xbox-360-teardown-guts-compared-to-original-360/47-80/

rather interesting "tear down" of the new 360... Seems to have a better designed motherboard and whatnot... although mine has already froze twice on me :([/QUOTE]

I mentioned last week somewhere in this forum that I was having sound issues. After several reboots and reconnection of the HDMI cable the sound was fixed. Since then I've had it happen again. I start up the xbox and I get that loud static sound. I will restart the xbox a few times and it's fixed. I was watching Netflix earlier then stopped and rode out to Target, came home. I turned on the xbox and I had static again. It took about 30 restarts before the sound worked again. I emailed MS and I'm waiting on a reply. If anyone else is having this issue I'd love to hear any solutions.

[quote name='padlok']I mentioned last week somewhere in this forum that I was having sound issues. After several reboots and reconnection of the HDMI cable the sound was fixed. Since then I've had it happen again. I start up the xbox and I get that loud static sound. I will restart the xbox a few times and it's fixed. I was watching Netflix earlier then stopped and rode out to Target, came home. I turned on the xbox and I had static again. It took about 30 restarts before the sound worked again. I emailed MS and I'm waiting on a reply. If anyone else is having this issue I'd love to hear any solutions.[/QUOTE]

From a quick Google search...
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=hdmi+static+sound
...looks like it could be anything from a bad cable to the TV not being able to handle the bandwidth of the data stream of the HDMI to the Xbox sending out the incorrect audio stream for you TV. Could be a bad Xbox, even, but it looks like people have similar problems on many devices over HDMI with static sound.

Here is a similar problem with various solution options for a PS3 with the same problem. Many of the suggestions may be relevant even though it's for a 360 in your case...
http://www.fixya.com/support/t188960-ps3_hdmi_audio_problem_crackling_sounds

I would first try fiddling with your Xbox and TV audio settings since that is prolly the easiest and go from there. Good luck.

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Let your tv boot up properly then turn on the 360. Don't turn them on at the same time, or if you have a receiver in the middle follow the chain of command: tv, receiver, xbox. It's imperative that you let each item in the chain finish booting up first. I have issues with audio with HDMI with the older model Xboxes as well and it's this stupid HDMI DRM-preventive handshake issue. Happened to me with the PS3 slim too recently which has been pretty good with it before (phat and slim models).

bread's done
Back