Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they made in China? Then no thank you.

Many of our companies have no conscious about the long term negative consequences from supporting Communist China. Every dollar sent over there is gone forever, China is practicing mercantilism in 2010. The 7-1 pegged currency and pro-China protectionism is still going on.

Yet very few of us have the courage to call them out.

I didn't like that the 360 was white. I do prefer black electronic devices.
In reality I don't know why people care so much. You're not wearing it out to pick up chics

[quote name='XF Gator']Are they made in China? Then no thank you.

Many of our companies have no conscious about the long term negative consequences from supporting Communist China. Every dollar sent over there is gone forever, China is practicing mercantilism in 2010. The 7-1 pegged currency and pro-China protectionism is still going on.

Yet very few of us have the courage to call them out.[/QUOTE]

Holy christ. Finally, someone more annoying than the "Ps3 is cheaperz" people.

Dude, this is a gaming site. Take your political bullshit elsewhere.

[quote name='XF Gator']Are they made in China? Then no thank you.

Yet very few of us have the courage to call them out.[/QUOTE]

Because it's paranoid bullshit.

[quote name='padlok']I didn't like that the 360 was white. I do prefer black electronic devices.
In reality I don't know why people care so much. You're not wearing it out to pick up chics[/QUOTE]

Piano black gets ugly in a hurry, then you have to look at it and remember how shiny it was for eight seconds after you took it out of the box. Yes, it's pretty, but it doesn't stay that way.

[quote name='confoosious']By no means am I saying that Kinect will be a slam dunk. I'm skeptical on the whole thing for MYSELF. But I find it funny that people already slam it. I'm sure those same people slammed the wii as a kiddie console. (Meanwhile Nintendo is taking those kiddie/female dollars to the bank.)[/QUOTE]

I've taken some shots at it, but what I saw today was undeniably cool. I don't know how useful it will be, as I'm not one for motion games and I'm also not sold on the idea of using my Xbox as a media center, at least not when I run the risk of it RRODing out when I'm using it as a DVD player or something, but the technology itself I was rather impressed with, and how smoothly it seemed to work. Kinect strikes me as one of those things that's cool until you see all the flashy menus and interfaces and bells and whistles, then you go back to your Halo.

[quote name='wwe101']hopefully the hardware wont be a piece of shit, if its rrod proof and e74 proof, i will get a 2nd 360[/QUOTE]

I would say it's not very likely. The Slim now has air vents to finally cool down the 360. :applause:

Tempting.... Will wait and see if there is a trade in deal... I never did get around to selling my 20gig. Transfer data and then sell the RE Edition Elite on Craigslist or something...

Transfer software and stuff is built into the system, so you can transfer from your old hard drive wiwth no problems!!

Tempting. Girlfriend has a 360 she's been wanting to get rid of for awhile now. Might trade it in during a trade-in deal...

so anyone else have a best buy prp plan?

mine expires in oct this year but im hoping i can just walk into bb return my 360 and replace it with the slim:lol:

[quote name='XF Gator']Many of our companies have no conscious about the long term negative consequences[/QUOTE]

I think the word you're looking for is conscience. The one you used was conscious, as in: your post is so politically boring and old-hat that it makes us lose consciousness when reading it.

I'm having trouble seeing where the new hard drive is. Overall, it's only a tad bit on the cute side, but nothing special like the PS2 phat to slim.

The price for Xbox Wii is a bit high, but my real concern is the price point of the games. I'm not going to pay a premium of 150, then pay the "next gen" price of 60 bucks for games I already can play on Wii without a new hardware purchase.

[quote name='shivaedge']With this Slim out, I really hope Amazon drops the old Arcade to $150[/QUOTE]
Its been confirmed that the arcade unit will have a $150 price tag now

[quote name='Admiral Moo']The price for Xbox Wii is a bit high, but my real concern is the price point of the games. I'm not going to pay a premium of 150, then pay the "next gen" price of 60 bucks for games I already can play on Wii without a new hardware purchase.[/QUOTE]Gamestop has 2 or 3 kinect games listed for $60 already.

[quote name='Jodou']They didn't. Images have been leaked and rumored for a while now.[/QUOTE]
images leaked last night didn't they? it's not like they leaked 4 months before E3

The new Xbox360 is nice, but I've grown attached to the Arcade I bought during December from Walmart. I still prefer the look of the older Xbox360 (though size is something else to be desired...)

[quote name='Brother Daz']Its been confirmed that the arcade unit will have a $150 price tag now[/QUOTE]

Sweet. I guess I'll finally pick up a 360 then

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']the ps3 and 360 are not exactly the same price for the same stuff. 360 $299 for the new slim (no blu-ray of course, but that doesnt bother me at all) and the ps3 IS $299, but it only has 120 gb hd. now you could argue that there are $350 bundles with the 250 gig hd and games that they are a good deal, but they are not the same price. if you ignore the fact that the ps3 has a smaller hard drive (on the $299 console anyway) then someone could still argue that the arcade console is only $150 now, or the elite at $250. its a never ending argument between fan boys, and its funny, but also very annoying when every single thread turns into a shit fest.[/QUOTE]

But there are obvious similarities between the PS3 Slim and 360 Slim. $299 price. Both have internal Wifi. Both have a large internal HDD. Only one has a Blu-ray player.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I don't even own a PS3. I'm a far bigger fan of the Xbox. But, there are some people that act as if the 360 Slim was perfectly priced for what it is offering. Since last fall, Sony's been offering practically the same amount of tech for that $299 price. Sure, there's a 130GB difference in the HDDs, but do you really think Sony's going to keep it that way? Guaranteed, the 120GB HDDs will be on their way out for Sony, to be replaced with 250GBs. And rumor is that they've got a 500GB coming out soon as well.

My point is that Microsoft obviously created the 360 Slim to fight back against the PS3 Slim, which has sold very well since its introduction and the price cut. However, if you're just going to compare the two consoles side-by-side, as many consumers will, the PS3 Slim has a pretty significant edge with the Blu-ray player. The only other distinguishing factor is the exclusive titles, and Sony has done a much better job with those over the past year (to clarify, not much better than Microsoft, just much better than Sony had done prior to 2009). Microsoft needs to cut the 360 Slim down to $250, and I bet they will by Christmas.

Well what the heck am I gonna' do with my 360 faceplates now? And especially the Death Smiles one. Well maybe I'll use it as a backup 360 >:3
...pending I can come up with an extra 300 clams.

Yep, still has big power brick.
And for the life of me, they can't pack in a rechargeable controller?

Really, Microsoft?

I wish gamestop was doing some type of trade in and trade up program for old 360's. I have two, so I wouldnt mind trying to get rid of one.

I'm also suprised, and now nervous that Kinect was not priced.....

[quote name='poker360']note: they said old hard drives are not compatable, this does NOT mean you cannot transfer stuff[/QUOTE]

Hmm...I would read that as the olde-tyme 360 drives wouldn't be able to snap on...not that you cannot transfer things from the old drives to the new system. I'm betting it uses the same old transfer cable, with new firmware.

A few things that seem disappointing yet make sense. The fact that old hard drives will not work on the system is a bummer (especially since they JUST released a 250 gig retail hard drive, that now is basically useless if you want this new system.) It also makes sense, being that I don't think anyone wants microsoft to be forced to design around the old ugly hard drive enclosure.

Questions are: The new hard drive, is it internal? Is it upgradable (by the user?) If someone bought a 250 gig hard drive (or has one from a bundle) can it be removed from the enclosure to work with the new model? Not that there would be a huge demand for this, but it would save from transfering saved data..

Also, from looking at this photo below, it looks like the same AC adapter connection, which would imply the same external power brick (but maybe a little smaller).
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/06/img7345.jpg

Also, I guess the 'arcade' version of the system will be discontinued eventually? As in, if you want a new system, you will be forced to buy one for a higher price with a hard drive, same with sony for a PS3. I would hope that a model without a hard drive is released and that in some form or way the old hard drives can be used.

I think the price point is correct, but I think they could have included a game with it, or at least the Halo ODST/Froza bundled game currently with the spring bundle. This would be at little additonal cost to them since most of the people who would buy these games have already bought them, and I think it would drive a few extra sales from anyone on the fence for getting a system (or which system to get, for that matter, they are looking to push the new system and not the older model, right??)

Also, didn't micro have two press conferences planned? I think its possible we see a Kinect / New Xbox 360 bundle for 399 when Kinect releases.

[quote name='poker360']Transfer software and stuff is built into the system, so you can transfer from your old hard drive wiwth no problems!![/QUOTE]
Where have you seen this info?

[quote name='xpag406']From the IGN Feed of the post Press Conference event:
"IGN: Your old hard drives and old memory units will not be compatible with this slimmer 250 GB model."
[/QUOTE]

Mother fucker. I have my profile and game saves in a memory unit. I've been thinking of a way to move files over (I'm thinking I can just plug a USB stick and the memory unit in a friend's Xbox and transfer the stuff around) but it's inconvenient to say the least.

[quote name='BingoBrown']But there are obvious similarities between the PS3 Slim and 360 Slim. $299 price. Both have internal Wifi. Both have a large internal HDD. Only one has a Blu-ray player.

I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I don't even own a PS3. I'm a far bigger fan of the Xbox. But, there are some people that act as if the 360 Slim was perfectly priced for what it is offering. Since last fall, Sony's been offering practically the same amount of tech for that $299 price. Sure, there's a 130GB difference in the HDDs, but do you really think Sony's going to keep it that way? Guaranteed, the 120GB HDDs will be on their way out for Sony, to be replaced with 250GBs. And rumor is that they've got a 500GB coming out soon as well.

My point is that Microsoft obviously created the 360 Slim to fight back against the PS3 Slim, which has sold very well since its introduction and the price cut. However, if you're just going to compare the two consoles side-by-side, as many consumers will, the PS3 Slim has a pretty significant edge with the Blu-ray player. The only other distinguishing factor is the exclusive titles, and Sony has done a much better job with those over the past year (to clarify, not much better than Microsoft, just much better than Sony had done prior to 2009). Microsoft needs to cut the 360 Slim down to $250, and I bet they will by Christmas.[/QUOTE]

How long have you been doing pricing analysis in the electronics industry?

It doesn't matter what goes into the Xbox Slim. All that matters is what people are willing to pay. They obviously have modeled this and come up with $299 as a strong launch point. Again, countless hours and dollars have gone into this $299 figure and we're supposed to think your opinion matters? Or you know better than microsoft what the slim should be priced at?

Hint: it doesn't. and you don't.

[quote name='Kerig']

I'm having trouble seeing where the new hard drive is. Overall, it's only a tad bit on the cute side, but nothing special like the PS2 phat to slim.[/QUOTE]

I am guessing its on the bottom so that the vents this time around are on the top in stead of the bottom where they were choked off last time.

Thing is, the HDD will get hot being down there so the only really improvement in this aspect to the first one is having those larger vents running on top which the old model didn't have. Rather it had small little holes on sides ...of the top.

I hope they kept the cooling system in place and didnt take it out thinking that the vents would do the same thing.

If they did that then here we go again with the red rings.

We'll see when someone disects one. THAT'S when I will make my decision on whether to buy one now or wait at least until Christmas or maybe even 1 year or more.

I want to see whats the deal INSIDE that thing.

[quote name='confoosious']How long have you been doing pricing analysis in the electronics industry?

It doesn't matter what goes into the Xbox Slim. All that matters is what people are willing to pay. They obviously have modeled this and come up with $299 as a strong launch point. Again, countless hours and dollars have gone into this $299 figure and we're supposed to think your opinion matters? Or you know better than microsoft what the slim should be priced at?

Hint: it doesn't. and you don't.[/QUOTE]

You know, you might be the biggest fuck on CAG. Half the time I see a post of yours, I skip it, because you never know what you're talking about.

But thanks for turning the price point discussion into a pissing match. That was super classy of you.

Well this could be a stupid questions...

I already sent in my xbox because of the e74 thing, and it's out of the extended warrenty they give you...but if I choose to upgrade to this and trade in my current Xbox for this one, how would I transfer my data over....

Can you transfer data to an external and then apply it to the new system?

IT says the hard drive is swappable with more storage. I wonder if it can be swapped with any old 3rd party drive or will you need to pay a premium for the msft ones.

i wouldn't mind a TB in my xbox.

bread's done
Back