Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='addicted2games']BingoBrown, you know you can click on a username and choose the ignore option, right?[/QUOTE]

I'm familiar with it, but never really felt the need to use it until now.

[quote name='confoosious']IT says the hard drive is swappable with more storage. I wonder if it can be swapped with any old 3rd party drive or will you need to pay a premium for the msft ones.

i wouldn't mind a TB in my xbox.[/QUOTE]

It's in a proprietary enclosure, lousy MS.

[quote name='confoosious']IT says the hard drive is swappable with more storage. I wonder if it can be swapped with any old 3rd party drive or will you need to pay a premium for the msft ones.

i wouldn't mind a TB in my xbox.[/QUOTE]

lol this is ms they will make u buy proprietary harddrives im sure we will see them soon enough

[quote name='BingoBrown']You know, you might be the biggest fuck on CAG. Half the time I see a post of yours, I skip it, because you never know what you're talking about.

But thanks for turning the price point discussion into a pissing match. That was super classy of you.[/QUOTE]

no dude, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, yet you're just talking out of your ass about everything.

I don't pretend to know what the price point of a PS3 should be, or the price point of Kinect should be. I don't try to tell people what it should be. If I know of a better deal elsewhere, I will suggest they get it from a certain place.

If you know where I can find it cheaper, then yes, you are being helpful. But otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass. For the people who want the slim now because OMGZ, they have to have it (and who am I to judge when people want shiny new toys -- we've all had that 12 year old feeling) - if you know where they can get it cheaper than $299, then great. But all you're doing is pissing on microsoft's pricing, and that doesn't help anyone. If it make you feel better, then by all means...

[quote name='Z(+)DIAC']Still has that ridiculous power brick (even if they managed to squeeze it down a bit, it's still a brick).[/QUOTE]

No it doesn't.

[quote name='usickenme']Let's not pretend MS is giving you a $70 value because they are finally including wi-fi. It's just they are no longer ripping you off[/QUOTE]

How does that change that you are getting something that you didn't previously? Its still better than it was. Sure you can complain about the past, what is that going to get you?

I'm definitely interested in one...I was thinking about getting the Kinect in it, if I could get it for free...but Gamestop is listing the 250GB with Kinect bundle for $399, so even bundled its $100. Bleh. They say its got a game with it, but the Sports and Joyride are each $59.99 pre-orders...what the heck? Joyride was supposed to be free DLC, and Sports is competing against a free Wii pack-in.

What is Suzy Homemaker going to say? She already has a Wii and EA Sports Active. So now she is going to add $149.99+$59.99 to duplicate on 360? Very doubtful. Same for me, I've already got Wii and PS3, they do their job just fine without adding a whole lot more (other than real games).

Sorry for going so OT!

[quote name='n4styn4t3']No it doesn't.[/QUOTE]
How do you know if it does or does not have the power brick? Does anyone?

[quote name='bigwightdog']How do you know if it does or does not have the power brick? Does anyone?[/QUOTE]

when you read stuff, you gain knowledge. browse the intrawebs.

the huge brick power supply is not compatable with the slim, it has a very very small power supply

[quote name='jiggyteddy']Just a general question for the 360 owners here... why do some owners have multiple systems?

I don't have a system, so why the need for multiples? Is there something I'm missing with the 360? I'm really not trying to go into the whole hardware reliability issue, but some of you guys make it sound like you have multiple working systems... so why is that? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Gaming with or for other family members...even better system link! That and Netflix for other rooms of the house.

[quote name='XF Gator']Are they made in China? Then no thank you.

Many of our companies have no conscious about the long term negative consequences from supporting Communist China. Every dollar sent over there is gone forever, China is practicing mercantilism in 2010. The 7-1 pegged currency and pro-China protectionism is still going on.

Yet very few of us have the courage to call them out.[/QUOTE]

XF Gator, our resident courageous CAG. Anyone got a medal?

[quote name='poker360']when you read stuff, you gain knowledge. browse the intrawebs.

the huge brick power supply is not compatable with the slim, it has a very very small power supply[/QUOTE]
Fair enough, though I have already read six different articles on the Slim...maybe I just didn't find the right source.

[quote name='bigwightdog']What is Suzy Homemaker going to say? She already has a Wii and EA Sports Active. So now she is going to add $149.99+$59.99 to duplicate on 360? Very doubtful. Same for me, I've already got Wii and PS3, they do their job just fine without adding a whole lot more (other than real games).

Sorry for going so OT![/QUOTE]

Well, it's gonna be wireless so it might be worth the upgrade. The current wii fit/ea active requires the nunchuck as your measuring points.

The new EA 2.0 for wii and sony have wireless sensors. So if EA is betting that people who already own the EA active will upgrade to EA active 2.0, they might just be willing to get the Kinect version because it seems cool and maybe their husbands/kids also want it.

I hope the Kinect works cause it would be awesome if it did.

[quote name='poker360']when you read stuff, you gain knowledge. browse the intrawebs.

the huge brick power supply is not compatable with the slim, it has a very very small power supply[/QUOTE]

lol that power brick is smaller very very small gimme some of wut ur smoking please

[quote name='knightsdwn']Mother fucker. I have my profile and game saves in a memory unit. I've been thinking of a way to move files over (I'm thinking I can just plug a USB stick and the memory unit in a friend's Xbox and transfer the stuff around) but it's inconvenient to say the least.[/QUOTE]

I see a customer in need of an 8GB SanDisk USB flash drive; marketed at $39.99 USD. [for those CAD on-me haters]

[quote name='acdcrocks1980']I'm disappointed, in the conference. It was basically Wii for Xbox (Xbox Sports, Xbox Fit, Xbox Cart), 3 sequels we already knew about (Halo, Gears, Fable), then they gave away the slims, so now the people who would normally bitch about the conference won't say shit cuz they got a free xbox.[/QUOTE]
Isn't that what the MS conference always is?

Hey look, here is some crap we copied for the Nth time, check it out.

Oh hey, look at this, here are some non-exclusive games we are showing off at the Microsoft conference, enjoy!

Hey, check out these fake Natal/Kinect videos we made. It doesn't actually work at all, which is why we make videos instead of doing live demos! Cool huh?

I never understood why people bought XBox360's, ever. It is the worst quality system ever created, in the history of the world, and is the most/close to the most popular? It shows how dumb and money oriented our society is getting. Always going for the low ball bid? No matter how crappy the product is? I can't say I am surprised.

Just put in some extra money and buy a gaming PC already. It does everything better and has basically the same games to choose from.

The new slim does looks pretty nice, however, I will still never buy one. My PC on my TV looks better than any console does, or ever will (as it is constantly upgraded). The PS3 is just for exclusive games pretty much, though I do get occasional games I can get on PC for it as well. And the built in Blu-Ray player basically made it an instant buy. My Wii gets hardly any use anymore, but my GF does enjoy it.

[quote name='knightsdwn']New Xbox 360 Specs via Kotaku. Answers a couple of our questions.

http://kotaku.com/5563225/new-xbox-360-specs[/QUOTE]

THANKS a million for that brother.

Damn... I may just fuck it and get one.

Only thing holding me back now is the cooling system and whether its really a marked improvement over the last model....actually one other thing...

...what I dont get (since it didnt specify) is whether or not THIS "250GB internal, swappable hard drive for even more storage" means its like a PS3 and we can now drop a 500GB or a 1TB HDD in there. If so I am on this new 360 the moment it hits the stores.

If thats the case, with the WIFI included and the optical port now included...man they have decided to change their model somewhat from the days of buying endless accesorries.

[quote name='confoosious']no dude, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, yet you're just talking out of your ass about everything.

I don't pretend to know what the price point of a PS3 should be, or the price point of Kinect should be. I don't try to tell people what it should be. If I know of a better deal elsewhere, I will suggest they get it from a certain place.

If you know where I can find it cheaper, than yes, you are being helpful. But otherwise, you're just talking out of your ass. For the people who want the slim now because OMGZ, they have to have it (and who am I to judge when people want shiny new toys -- we've all had that 12 year old feeling) - if you know where they can get it cheaper than $299, then great. But all you're doing is pissing on microsoft's pricing, and that doesn't help anyone. If it make you feel better, then by all means...[/QUOTE]

I don't understand. Now I'm not allowed to discuss whether Microsoft is pricing their product correctly? Why not? I'm a shareholder. Their business strategy matters to me.

I think it's a mistake to price the 360 Slim the same as the PS3 Slim. Now, it probably makes sense to leave it at $299 now, sell some units before the holiday rush, then drop it to $250 when the competition gets fierce around Christmas. But I don't see how the $299 price, long term, can compete with the PS3 Slim.

What I don't understand is why you're getting so pissy over all this. I'm stating my opinion, and you turn around and bring a nasty attitude to the discussion. That was totally uncalled for. You can disagree with my opinion without being a dick about it.

Furthermore, I never told anyone to not buy a 360 Slim at $299. I could care less what people want to do with their money. I just don't think the pricing was the best business decision for Microsoft. But that's my opinion, which I'm still allowed to have, last I checked.

Waste of money. There is no reason to upgrade to that when the other two do the same damn thing. I'll bet anything there will be tech issues with this one too.

[quote name='tightclaws']Amazing how they kept this pretty much under wraps![/QUOTE]

Yeah. I'm genuinely impressed with the silence over this.. There was a small leak like two days ago, but other than that nobody had a clue - and it's available tomorrow.

I've been planning on picking up a second Xbox 360.. my wife and I use it a ton for Netflix, and the jet-engine nature of the fat was irritating for that purpose. I think I'm going to buy this tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what I think of it.

I just bought a replacement (Elite)in January and an N adapter 2 months ago. Last month I bought a digital audio adapter($5 frigging dollars) so my headset would work. Now they release one with all the sh!t it should have had from the start?

Damn it.

[quote name='killer9']lol that power brick is smaller very very small gimme some of wut ur smoking please[/QUOTE]

lol, that power brick in that picture is small.

wish there was a comparison.. so you would realize how stupid you sound

why are people so stupid.

Well i'm glad my post went unread and addressed...

Oh well, I would buy a new one cause mine is out of warranty and would rather get something for it now and purchase the new one at a risk. I still have the 20 GB hard drive, so either way I need to upgrade to something.

$129.99 for a 250 GB hard drive,
or just trade in my xbox for this one.

[quote name='poker360']lol, that power brick in that picture is small.

wish there was a comparison.. so you would realize how stupid you sound

why are people so stupid.[/QUOTE]

omg cant see that its not very very small please just stop

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']THANKS a million for that brother.

Damn... I may just fuck it and get one.

Only thing holding me back now is the cooling system and whether its really a marked improvement over the last model....actually one other thing...

...what I dont get (since it didnt specify) is whether or not THIS "250GB internal, swappable hard drive for even more storage" means its like a PS3 and we can now drop a 500GB or a 1TB HDD in there. If so I am on this new 360 the moment it hits the stores.

If thats the case, with the WIFI included and the optical port now included...man they have decided to change their model somewhat from the days of buying endless accesorries.[/QUOTE]

Obviously they realize that Sony was doing things right when it came to out of the box functionality.

[quote name='lllGurulll']Waste of money. There is no reason to upgrade to that when the other two do the same damn thing. I'll bet anything there will be tech issues with this one too.[/QUOTE]
Unless you travel a lot (like I do) and therefore size/weight/portability are all very important to you.

[quote name='killer9']lol that power brick is smaller very very small gimme some of wut ur smoking please[/QUOTE]

And lighter!

[quote name='Engadget']The Xbox feels just about as heavy as the existing Xbox, although the power adapter is smaller and much lighter.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lllGurulll'] I'll bet anything there will be tech issues with this one too.[/QUOTE]

Have you already done some research on the console to jump to that wonderful conclusion? So in your opinion all Toyota's still have the break pad issue, correct?

The new wireless controller looks sexy. The old ones are still compatible with the slim, right? I still have two black controllers new in package.

[quote name='poker360']
wish there was a comparison.. [/QUOTE]

There will be in the next 24 hours problably.

Its a difference but not that big of a difference.

I dont know what people expected...maybe that the power be inside the system like the original XBOX or something - that will not happen.

The new brick at first glance of that picture seems to be about 1-2 inches smaller than the last one...not much in the grand scheme of things but its still something.

[quote name='eau']The new wireless controller looks sexy. The old ones are still compatible with the slim, right? I still have two black controllers new in package.[/QUOTE]

Is the controller even new at all?

Looks the same to me in every way.

[quote name='oasisboy']Have you already done some research on the console to jump to that wonderful conclusion? So in your opinion all Toyota's still have the break pad issue, correct?[/QUOTE]

It's called an opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. Even you.

I have no real trust in M$ after all their other issues on the other 360's

seriously, why are these things so enormous? we need japanese tech now.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']Is the controller even new at all?

Looks the same to me in every way.[/QUOTE]
The colors are different. The new one is all back with both matt and glossy parts. The old black one has matt black and gray parts.
I think they are the same gut-wise. But then you never know for sure when it comes to M$.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']I see a customer in need of an 8GB SanDisk USB flash drive; marketed at $39.99 USD. [for those CAD on-me haters][/QUOTE]

I remember there was a USB flash drive compatibility thread somewhere here but a quick search found me a compatible Sandisk 4GB flash drive on sale for $12.99 at Best Buy. Not the best bang for the buck but it'll do.

does anyone else think this is one step forward, 3 steps back: give everyone built in Wi-Fi (big deal b/c we've already adapted) BUT exclude a Blu Ray drive for at least 3 years runnin', render obsolete everyones HDD that we probably all just bought 120's or 250's and (dammit forgot that third one..but I swear I totally had it!)

[quote name='djsmf435']Damn it, i just bought an elite!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

+1, I just bought a 250GB HDD upgrade last week.

I went in knowing this possibility anyway, my 20GB just wasn't cutting it for the DLCs I wanted. At least I unloaded a bunch of unwanted trade-ins and clutter in the process. :)

bread's done
Back