Xbox 360 slim - $299 -- Old Arcade $150, Elite $250 -- READ OP

poker360

Banned
shipping to retailers this week, and available to buy this week. not yet on any websites.

Hey guys, i just picked up my xbox 360 250gb S console. I have been trying it out and will give a few impressions, including how hot this thing gets. First off, the wireless adapter works great, very easy to find my network. The console itself is beautiful, loving the buttons where they are touch sensitive. I cannot hear the console when on dashboard, but i can while playing games and the disc is spinning (still not nearly as loud as old models). There is one big issue that i AM having with this however: The thing is whisper silent, but it is also Flaming Hot. Look at the picture. See the big vent on the side? That's where all the heat is at. It's not on the back like the previous console, it doesn't seem like the fan is pushing out the heat very well. This could just be me, but i had someone else touch it to verify that they indeed thought it was outrageously HOT. Let this be a warning to buyers! .. Also i do understand this may not be a problem at all. My Wii does get hot with wii connect 24 (But not as hot as the 360..). My Mac also get's rather hot (still not as hot as the 360..). I'm just throwing this out there.

Fix: Make your 360 sit horizontally. It will help the 360 ventilate better, and won't get nearly as hot!

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Pro...7&sourceID=FKSJxY2VJAk-QITCFx9nwsTluOMMcV9Frw

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276552010&sr=1-7

360 Arcade will drop to $150
360 Elite will drop to $250
New 360 250GB "slim" is $300

img7345.jpg

250gb hdd, built in wireless n adapter

Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries!
includes wireless controller, headset, and composite cables

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting, I suppose this is the way to stay ahead of the aftermarket for a bit as well as alienate all the previous faceplate and custom console retailers. I wonder when the 500 GB HDD will come out.

it's so shiney. :cool:

I am in the market for a 360 but I am not sure if it would be cheaper to purchase the new 250gb system or an Arcade and purchase a hard drive and wireless adapter separately...

[quote name='Sylin']Wait. What? No Blu-ray drive? I mean, if MS is going for the whole "Your Xbox 360 is a one-stop living room entertainment device" they really dropped the ball there.

At the $299 price point, I'd wager for the vast majority of 360 owners, there's really no incentive to side-grade from an existing 360.

Pity.[/QUOTE]

Who developed Blu-ray?

The Blu-ray Disc format was developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), a group of leading consumer electronics, personal computer and media manufacturers, with more than 180 member companies from all over the world. The Board of Directors currently consists of:

Apple Computer, Inc.
Dell Inc.
Hewlett Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment

[quote name='yorksj']I am in the market for a 360 but I am not sure if it would be cheaper to purchase the new 250gb system or an Arcade and purchase a hard drive and wireless adapter separately...[/QUOTE]

I'm unsure, however, the general purpose of bundles is to give all components for a cheaper price.

[quote name='reddjoey']MS has said digital download is the future.[/QUOTE]

it's good that MS is finally catching up with the world, circa year 2000..

btw, blu ray sucks..i bought a ps3 for it and demon souls and i didn't see a difference from my 1080 dvd player. i returned the ps3 the next day with no regrets

[quote name='reddjoey']MS has said digital download is the future.[/QUOTE]

Saying digital download is the future doesnt mean shit if people don't embrace it. I think it is very safe to say it is nowhere close to being embraced especially from a gaming software standpoint. Not DLC but I am talking about full retail games.

I was thinking that if I buy the arcade unit for $150, that I might be able buy a used hard drive and make do with hard-wiring the box. But that shiny, new 360 would get along nicely with my PS3... Decisions, decisions.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Saying digital download is the future doesnt mean shit if people don't embrace it. I think it is very safe to say it is nowhere close to being embraced especially from a gaming software standpoint. Not DLC but I am talking about full retail games.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully people will be smart enough not to embrace it.

Oh, I can buy Civilization Revolution on demand for $30 cause i'm too lazy to go to the store or wait for amazon to ship it? Yay.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Saying digital download is the future doesnt mean shit if people don't embrace it. I think it is very safe to say it is nowhere close to being embraced especially from a gaming software standpoint. Not DLC but I am talking about full retail games.[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right. Due to failure of the PSPGo, IMO we've put it off for at least the next 3 years. It might also be too much of a gamble on a nex-gen console due to this. However, I noticed they are subconsciously getting us prepared for this (paying to play online on used games, keycodes and other things).

[quote name='vashnlol']it's good that MS is finally catching up with the world, circa year 2000..

btw, blu ray sucks..i bought a ps3 for it and demon souls and i didn't see a difference from my 1080 dvd player. i returned the ps3 the next day with no regrets[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't care for the digital downloads. I'd much rather have a physical copy for my money. You can bet GameStop hates the idea too.

As for the blu ray comment...what? You won't see much difference between games released on multiple consoles, but you will see a difference in quality between blu ray and DVD. If you don't have a nice tv and are running on regular RWY cables I can see why you wouldn't notice a difference

[quote name='OGHowie']Not if I can't resell digital games.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same, but it seems like an unstoppable tide. I don't see discs being replaced any time soon though.

I checked my local GS during my lunch break and they did not have pre-orders available just yet.

I decided even though I want a 360 Slim real bad I still have a 2 year old 360 Pro going strong and I bought an Arcade last year during Christmas with a $100 Walmart GC that is still in the box.

So either i'll sell the brand new Arcade or i'll just wait for the 360 Slim to get bundled with the Kinect camera sometime next year during the slow season for games and hardware.

[quote name='david12795']Look at the PSPGO and tell me what do you think of digital download :p[/QUOTE]

The Go was a NoGo in the eyes of gamers. I'll wait to see what Sony does with the PSP2.

I'd like to get this now, but I just can't get myself to drop $300 for a prettier version of something I already own. On the other hand, the warranty on my current system will be up in about 2 weeks, so when it eventually dies, I know what I'll be getting.

[quote name='david12795']Look at the PSPGO and tell me what do you think of digital download :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we know. Until the entire US is on free-uncapped-broadband, it's a hard sell on consoles.

We all know they don't want to add BRD to avoid sending money to Sony and increasing the production cost.

[quote name='Space Cowboy YGI']You are exactly right. Due to failure of the PSPGo, IMO we've put it off for at least the next 3 years. It might also be too much of a gamble on a nex-gen console due to this. However, I noticed they are subconsciously getting us prepared for this (paying to play online on used games, keycodes and other things).[/QUOTE]

The failure of the PSPGo was not supporting existing UMD software in any way, not the direct download aspect.

[quote name='confoosious']Hopefully people will be smart enough not to embrace it.

Oh, I can buy Civilization Revolution on demand for $30 cause i'm too lazy to go to the store or wait for amazon to ship it? Yay.[/QUOTE]

The day it is the standard is the day I quit being a gamer. I for one will never embrace digital downloads of games. It is one thing to re-release classics on PSN & XBL. But when new IP's are digital only.... I am done being a gamer.

On a side note. Getting a slim tomrrow. My MW2 Elite is going bye bye along with like 5 games or so. :D

[quote name='vashnlol']

btw, blu ray sucks..i bought a ps3 for it and demon souls and i didn't see a difference from my 1080 dvd player. i returned the ps3 the next day with no regrets[/QUOTE]

sure games don't look all that different, but blu ray movies look the same as dvd movies?
Do you have an HDTV and HDMI cable?

Might be a stupid question, but will Natal/Kinect be 1:1 motion tracking?
Deal breaker for me.

So when it says that the new slim will be 'Kinetic ready' with a specialized port.. what exactly does that mean? I have not been following it that much.

Will it still work with normal 360s, because if it doesn't that seems really dumb...

I wouldn't really care if new games came with a case/manual/code but I really don't like buying games from digital storefronts. But prices would have to adjust at a much more favorable rate thanwhat the PSN Store has for PSP Games.

[quote name='OGHowie']Not if I can't resell digital games.[/QUOTE]

And what would you say if games were less to buy in the first place than the price you end up paying now by buying and reselling?

If you look around at games that are digital download only, you'll notice they are a lot cheaper than console games. Currently, retailers are forcing console makers to keep digital copies at MSRP so that the retailers can compete.

I personally like the idea of paying fewer middle men, retailers, all their shipping costs, packaging costs, etc. As a bonus, digital copies of games are about 99% more environmentally friendly. Console would also become smaller and quieter without disc drives.

[quote name='BrolyB593']So when it says that the new slim will be 'Kinetic ready' with a specialized port.. what exactly does that mean? I have not been following it that much.

Will it still work with normal 360s, because if it doesn't that seems really dumb...[/QUOTE]

on old 360s, with kinect, you need to plug kinect into the wall, along with into the 360. With the new 360, you just plug kinect into the 360 and it gets powered without the need for external power (hope u understand this)

[quote name='reddjoey']Yeah, we know. Until the entire US is on free-uncapped-broadband, it's a hard sell on consoles.

[/QUOTE]
Capped broadband is really a problem in many parts of the world. I read comments on other forums from people in Australia, Canada and UK about their crappy and expensive services. Until the whole world (well at least the west) opens up to uncapped broadband, I don't see consoles being strictly dd anytime soon.

[quote name='watcher0']And what would you say if games were less to buy in the first place than the price you end up paying now by buying and reselling?

If you look around at games that are digital download only, you'll notice they are a lot cheaper than console games. Currently, retailers are forcing console makers to keep digital copies at MSRP so that the retailers can compete.

I personally like the idea of paying fewer middle men, retailers, all their shipping costs, packaging costs, etc. As a bonus, digital copies of games are about 99% more environmentally friendly. Console would also become smaller and quieter without disc drives.[/QUOTE]

I hope you don't actually believe that companies would pass along savings to the consumer. :lol:

[quote name='poker360']on old 360s, with kinect, you need to plug kinect into the wall, along with into the 360. With the new 360, you just plug kinect into the 360 and it gets powered without the need for external power (hope u understand this)[/QUOTE]

Hm, thank you for clearing that up.

So basically older models require the use of an AC adapter?

So long as it comes with Kinetic itself, having to power it through an open space on a power strip is not a big deal at all.

I will be quite annoyed however, if you will need to buy the power cable separately.

[quote name='BrolyB593']Hm, thank you for clearing that up.

So basically older models require the use of an AC adapter?

So long as it comes with Kinetic itself, having to power it through an open space on a power strip is not a big deal at all.

I will be quite annoyed however, if you will need to buy the power cable separately.[/QUOTE]

i would assume it comes with the ac adapter.

also it is Kinect :)

And then check out the Ipod, Iphone and Ipad! Because Sony can't get it right, doesn't mean it's dead! :roll:

[quote name='leopaw']And then check out the Ipod, Iphone and Ipad! Because Sony can't get it right, doesn't mean it's dead! :roll:[/QUOTE]
The only reason it sucks for PSPGo owners (and yes, I own one) is that you can't play your PSP content on anything but the PSP. iPods, iPhones, and iPads all have content that is also accessible on your PC or Mac. If I could play my digital PSP content on a PS3 without having to use my PSP, or transfer my UMD disc content to my PSP Go, then that's a completely other story.

Awesome, I'm getting one of these. Anyone want to buy my a/b/g Wireless Network adapter? Won't have any use for it after I unbox this.

[quote name='watcher0']And what would you say if games were less to buy in the first place than the price you end up paying now by buying and reselling?

I personally like the idea of paying fewer middle men, retailers, all their shipping costs, packaging costs, etc. As a bonus, digital copies of games are about 99% more environmentally friendly. Console would also become smaller and quieter without disc drives.[/QUOTE]

But you're only currently getting cheaper games because they are not major releases. (yeah, I'll pay $20 for Puzzle QUest 2 on live but there's no way I'm paying $60 for it new.) Nobody is gonna release something like GTA V as a digital release and "pass the savings onto you!" for $29.99. Especially since they can sell that disc to Gamestop at $45 retail.

Digital Downloads should be a fail for consumers so we should demand physical copies. Really, there's no upside at all for us to digital downloads other than convenience.

If they said you can download Madden 11 for $29 and never sell it or you can go to GS and buy it for $60. (CAG aside), then you might have a dilemma. But why would EA sell it to you at $29 when they can sell it to GS for $45? There's no upside to the manufacturer/publisher either.

The only way this makes sense is if the bottom dropped out of video games and no one was willing to pay $50-$60 a game. (again, CAG aside.) If people were only willing to pay $30 per game, then the publisher would have to offer digital downloads to offset their costs. But their hard costs aren't much at all. It's really just retailer markup and development.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']The day it is the standard is the day I quit being a gamer. I for one will never embrace digital downloads of games. It is one thing to re-release classics on PSN & XBL. But when new IP's are digital only.... I am done being a gamer.

On a side note. Getting a slim tomrrow. My MW2 Elite is going bye bye along with like 5 games or so. :D[/QUOTE]

Agree wholeheartedly. A digital copy is utterly worthless to me.

Where will the history of gaming go? Say you want to acquire games from the previous generation, or the one before. Those servers hosting the games are likely down. Not to mention you don't actually own the game.

I imagine in that scenario pirating would be the only source of acquiring older titles.

[quote name='DrMunkee']Man, I can preorder from gamestop. Tempting...[/QUOTE]

In store? because I called mine earlier and was told it's not in their system yet...

[quote name='leopaw']And then check out the Ipod, Iphone and Ipad! Because Sony can't get it right, doesn't mean it's dead! :roll:[/QUOTE]

good point, but that is music and it is easily obtained.

Man I cant wait to get an arcade 360 for $100 bucks (if there are online sales, hopefully :p )

@confoosious: The problem you discuss is not an inherent flaw of DD, but rather it is the existence of retail that is holding things back. MS/Sony need retail to stock their consoles so they dont want to totally undercut retail from making money on the games.

Look to the PC side of things where the software makers have little incentive to support retail. There are constantly sales on Steam, D3D, Impulse, etc. And for me personally, I enjoy the convenience to the point that I *would* pay a premium for it.

BTW: Earlier this year GS offered a DD version of MLB2K10 for four bucks on the opening day of the Baseball season. When have you ever seen anything like that at retail? DD has the potential of great advantages for a consumer. I'll not be picking up a pike and torch to join you.

[quote name='poker360']Built in transfer software, so if you want to upgrade, no worries![/QUOTE]

This isn't exactly true. If you want to copy things on a USB drive you can do that but if it doesn't fit into the 16GB size limitation they imposed on USB drives you're going to have to worry about making multiple transfers and/or spending a ton of time re-downloading your content. That or you're going to have to worry about buying their $20 hard drive transfer kit, which will use the same hardware as the previously available transfer kit but different software that they have yet to announce whether that will be made available for free or if you're going to have to get the new kit to get the software to allow you to use the old one that you already own.

[quote name='BGriffith']In store? because I called mine earlier and was told it's not in their system yet...[/QUOTE]

No, the website only without in store pickup.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=020058

Still, when I was in Gamestop today, they were receiving quite a few calls about people wanting "the new xbox".

Preordering sounds attractive right now, but I think I'll take my chances and face off with all the bulk buying ebay douches.

For those of us with older versions of the 360 with expired warranties it would almost make sense to either trade in or eBay our current version for like 100ish and put it towards this new model or just buy a $150 arcade and keep it as a backup with a new warranty attached to that. fuck because I know mine is going to want to break any day now.

[quote name='Thorgouge']For those of us with older versions of the 360 with expired warranties it would almost make sense to either trade in or eBay our current version for like 100ish and put it towards this new model or just buy a $150 arcade and keep it as a backup with a new warranty attached to that. fuck because I know mine is going to want to break any day now.[/QUOTE]

Plus, gamestop is giving an extra $25 for console trade ins.

I got $105 bucks for my PSP-3000 (Which is more than I payed for it at gamecrazy).

Just got home from work, and haven't scanned through the 19 pages of posts to see if this was answered or not, but how exactly are transfers going to work? I'd like to pick this up, but I don't see how I'll be able to really transfer my data; I have a "transfer kit", but I'm curious as to how the "built-in software transfer" is supposed to work, or what exactly it is, or if the system will come with anything like that (friend currently has my kit, so I'll need to get it back or get a new one).

[quote name='vashnlol']it's good that MS is finally catching up with the world, circa year 2000..

Can't tell if you're an idiot or just a blind fanboy. If you can't see the difference between blu-ray and a dvd player, you have no business getting into HD.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Just got home from work, and haven't scanned through the 19 pages of posts to see if this was answered or not, but how exactly are transfers going to work? I'd like to pick this up, but I don't see how I'll be able to really transfer my data; I have a "transfer kit", but I'm curious as to how the "built-in software transfer" is supposed to work, or what exactly it is, or if the system will come with anything like that (friend currently has my kit, so I'll need to get it back or get a new one).[/QUOTE]

They are selling a new transfer kit for $20.

[quote name='carn311']They are selling a new transfer kit for $20.[/QUOTE]

Alright, guess I'll have to pick that up then as well. Thanks for the quick reply.

bread's done
Back