XBOX 360 Slim issue

zizo79

CAGiversary!
Hey guys,
I hope that I am posting this in the right forum section. Here is my issue: I am on my second XBOX 360 slim and it seems like it has the same noise issue as the first one. It makes a buzzing noise when playing games like MW2 and Halo Reach when standing vertically.
I do know that there are videos out there about this issue but I want to hear it from CAGers instead. Do any of you XBOX 360 slim owners have the same issue ? Or do I keep getting defective consoles?
Thanks

[quote name='Scorch']Lay it down (WHY would you stand it vertically!?) or install the game.[/QUOTE]

You install it so there is less load times and it doesn't use the cd-rom as much.

Unless you have to for space reasons, there's no reason to invite more problems by standing it vertically. PS2's and 360's have both had more problems when stood vertically than when they were laying horizontally. Also it's easier to knock the console over or move it while a disk is in the drive when standing vertically.

[quote name='100xp']did you install the game to your HDD?[/QUOTE]
Is that allowed ? I mean do I need a hack or smtg ?

On the my XBox Tab where the game is shown hit the Y button on the game. Go to install game.
Games take a few minutes to install. Once the game is installed you will never get that disc noise again from that game as long as It's installed. If you play the game a lot you get quicker load times which over time will save you time waiting on the load times, and your disc drive will last longer from less usage (hopefully).

[quote name='Monsta Mack']On the my XBox Tab where the game is shown hit the Y button on the game. Go to install game.
Games take a few minutes to install. Once the game is installed you will never get that disc noise again from that game as long as It's installed. If you play the game a lot you get quicker load times which over time will save you time waiting on the load times, and your disc drive will last longer from less usage (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
Thanks a lot. I had no idea that I could do that...I guess I didn't read the manual again !!

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']lol quote of the week :lol:[/QUOTE]

I knew that was coming ..lol knowing how MS ban people from XBL thats why I asked.

I love how everybody says that people are crazy for standing their Xbox's vertically, yet in every single shot Microsoft takes of the Xbox, it is always vertical. Microsoft seems to think that the proper way to set up an xbox is vertical.

Myself? Mine's horizontal. :)

I would switch to horizontal and install the game if it's causing too much noise. I had my original 360 for 4+ years and never had a problem because I laid it horizontal. Borrowed it to a friend one day who stood it vertically and the next day... RRoD.

[quote name='Kaelestis']I would switch to horizontal and install the game if it's causing too much noise. I had my original 360 for 4+ years and never had a problem because I laid it horizontal. Borrowed it to a friend one day who stood it vertically and the next day... RRoD.[/QUOTE]

Horizontal or vertical it doesn't matter, your box was just ready for the 3 rings. Just a coincidence that you let your friend borrow it.

Although vertical you have more of a chance messing your game disc up.
It is good practice to install the games though, as it does prolong the life of your dvd drive.

[quote name='crunchewy']I love how everybody says that people are crazy for standing their Xbox's vertically, yet in every single shot Microsoft takes of the Xbox, it is always vertical. Microsoft seems to think that the proper way to set up an xbox is vertical.
[/QUOTE]

Normally, I would quip that it's their intent to make you buy more systems, so quietly advocating improper use is on purpose, but each system they sell costs them money and doesn't expand their customer base so....*shrugs* Maybe they're hoping to make you buy more games to replace scratched up games?

[quote name='Kaelestis']I would switch to horizontal and install the game if it's causing too much noise. I had my original 360 for 4+ years and never had a problem because I laid it horizontal. Borrowed it to a friend one day who stood it vertically and the next day... RRoD.[/QUOTE]

That's like saying "I knew a guy who drank and smoked every day for 50 years, then one day, BAM. Hit by a bus."

[quote name='zizo79']I knew that was coming ..lol knowing how MS ban people from XBL thats why I asked.[/QUOTE]

You can install games to your HD with no issues. It's a feature MS added in a while back. Go to your game disc on the dashboard and press Y for more options. Choose install. It copies the disk to the HD but you still need the disc to be in the drive to play. Difference is that now it only spins up the disc to make sure you're legit and then everything runs off of the HD. Eventually the disc spins down, saving wear on the drive + less noise.

Ruahrc

[quote name='Monsta Mack']On the my XBox Tab where the game is shown hit the Y button on the game. Go to install game.
Games take a few minutes to install. Once the game is installed you will never get that disc noise again from that game as long as It's installed. If you play the game a lot you get quicker load times which over time will save you time waiting on the load times, and your disc drive will last longer from less usage (hopefully).[/QUOTE]
Thanks i just install Forza Motorsport 3.:applause:

[quote name='bryenfury']Horizontal or vertical it doesn't matter, your box was just ready for the 3 rings. Just a coincidence that you let your friend borrow it.

Although vertical you have more of a chance messing your game disc up.
It is good practice to install the games though, as it does prolong the life of your dvd drive.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say standing it vertical is what caused it. I was just sharing my experience and thought it was funny that the one time it's upright it fails. I know that correlation does not equal causation. Maybe he dropped it or bumped it or whatever and didn't tell me. Regardless, why take any risk when it's known standing it vertical makes it easier to mess up your discs?

I think that MS goofed up on this XBOX 360 Slim and I don't see why I should put it down to make it less noisy. It is like saying to an iPhone owner: you are holding your iPhone the wrong way....
I also read in other forums that some people have the noise issue and others don't but who knows again. Anyone here does not have this issue when standing the slim vertically ?

mine is vertical too i def agree vert vs horiz will not change the noise. buzzing happens to me as well, its the disc drive working, when u play big games that take alot of loading and reading from the disc it happens ie compare playing RDR or Fallout to like Madden it happens(which is still loud its relative lol), they disappointed with the whole whisper quiet thing but it is what it is, installing the game def help ALOT with that almost no disc noise as the disc is used to check security and u have the game legitimately etc and mostly runs off the hard drive

Standing it vertical does absolutely zero to the disc. Obviously if something is wrong with someone's particular machine then it could cause a problem, but it won't by default. I've always had my 360's vertical and have never had any problems.

The problem with standing it vertically is that it is inherently wobbly. If you've got a wired controller hooked up and somebody walks by and trips over the cord, it could shake the 360 and if it's reading a disc at the time it's game over for the disc. Or just bumping into it. I had that happen to one of my games. Sucked. When it's laying flat it's much less susceptible as it's inherently more stable.

[quote name='crunchewy']The problem with standing it vertically is that it is inherently wobbly. If you've got a wired controller hooked up and somebody walks by and trips over the cord, it could shake the 360 and if it's reading a disc at the time it's game over for the disc. Or just bumping into it. I had that happen to one of my games. Sucked. When it's laying flat it's much less susceptible as it's inherently more stable.[/QUOTE]
Right, but that's on the user's end of things. Nothing is going to happen because of the console itself.

I've lost count of how many times I've read on various forums that a vertical standing console can somehow damage your games :lol:

bread's done
Back