XBOX 360 USB Compatibility Thread

I bought the Sandisk 8 GB Cruzer Mini USB drive and while it is compatible with Xbox 360, it WILL NOT work with my computer. Google search to fix the problem reveals that many, many people have had issues with this product -- so unless you want a "strictly 360" flash drive, AVOID AVOID AVOID!!

Yeah, I purchased a Micro Center 8gb flash drive today. I reformattted it right out the box and it's working just fine.

any nice compiled lists out there, maybe with some transfer or speed info?

I tried using a 2gb PNY Attache drive I got on sale while back. Got warning that it doesn't work and can't configure. I just ended up using an external the few times I needed to transfer stuff.

Soon I'll be back to gaming on my main 360, not the refurb that I use as spare during the term to limit playtime and would like to not keep recover GT or using external again.

any stats or data to back that up? I tried looking for some sites but only an xbox.xom forum discussion was found where people mentioned what drive they use and how it is.

I'm looking for a 1 or 2gb flash drive dedicated solely for 360 use (and the occasionally emergency I need a flash drive moments).

So if I take a 120gb usb drive, the 360 will only recognize 16gb as a memory card correct? Can I get around this via a 16gb partition, then use the remainder as a regular fat32 formatted usb drive?

[quote name='eastx']Yes. Just follow the link. Come on now.[/QUOTE]

I meant for xbox 360 usage, not of the flash drive (which is what the product sepcs are for)

I know I'm casting thread necromancy here, but the new Dash update raised the cap to 32GB per USB stick.

I picked up a 32GB Sandisk Cruzer Glide yesterday, and it is supposedly "below recommendations".

...moving all my Games on Demand took a bit of time last night, but no problems except for possibly a little less speed than the other sticks I have.

Just to quell my paranois, "below recommendations" really doesn't mean much, right?

I have two Patriot Xporter XT 16GBs plugged into my 360 and never had any issues with them not meeting specs for USB flash drive usage.

below recommendations just means it performs slow. most flash drives that people buy are cheap as heck and big as possible. apparently people prefer size over speed.

I tried using cheap flash drives on the 360. It's not worth it. It takes forever to do some of the little things. Some things that load fast off the internal flash memory of the 360 or off the hard drive easily take twice as long on a cheap slow flash drive.

Yeah, I have quite a collection of sticks now... 1x 32GB, 5x 16GB, and an 8GB.

Funny thing is almost all of them are Sandisk Cruzers, and all but this one passed the speed tests. I *did* have to format a few of the 16s a couple of times to get the to pass, but when the 32 got "below" for a third time in a row, I said screw it and just started moving stuff onto it.

As it's only for storing a few Games on Demand, I don't mind if the speeds are a little slow as it'll get used very rarely and ANYTHING being played will be from the HDD and nothing else.

...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't risking data corruption more than anything else. My 8GB is a speed demon and will be where anything truly important goes, anyways ^_^

even reading your gamertag profile is horribly slow on a slow flash drive.

try that as your test whether you can handle it. move your profile from the hard drive to your slow drive. and see how long it takes to fully log in. and that's only your profile, let along a GoD.

So, as I expected, write speed was absolutely awful, but read speed is about what I'd get if I were installing from disc... meaning, for me at least, this $20 32GB stick works perfectly.

The 32GB Patriot Supersonic Boost (USB 3 version of the Xporter XT drives I've been using without issue) worked great when trying it out. As I had a spare one and a gift card for $30, I bought a second one.

Will move some GoD games to the empty one I'll be connecting and see how they work.

[quote name='Dinky']Don't know if this was mentioned already, so I apologize ahead of time. One of the new dashboard features includes USB Storage. The maximum capacity of USB memory devices has been updated to 32GB.

Source: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/3073/t/361449.aspx#one[/QUOTE]

Few posts above you, from a week ago:
[quote name='Gabrius']I know I'm casting thread necromancy here, but the new Dash update raised the cap to 32GB per USB stick.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dinky']Don't know if this was mentioned already, so I apologize ahead of time. One of the new dashboard features includes USB Storage. The maximum capacity of USB memory devices has been updated to 32GB.

Source: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/3073/t/361449.aspx#one[/QUOTE]

I understand not reading every single page, but it's not hard to read the page you're actually posting on. Not hard at all.

Anyway, it's great that they've increased the USB storage size limit. Wish we could get bigger hard drives too!

[quote name='eastx']I understand not reading every single page, but it's not hard to read the page you're actually posting on. Not hard at all.

Anyway, it's great that they've increased the USB storage size limit. Wish we could get bigger hard drives too![/QUOTE]
Late night. Sorry about that.

[quote name='eastx']I understand not reading every single page, but it's not hard to read the page you're actually posting on. Not hard at all.

Anyway, it's great that they've increased the USB storage size limit. Wish we could get bigger hard drives too![/QUOTE]60GB of additional storage on top of the 320GB isn't a bad idea, though you're still looking at $40 for that additional 60GB.

1TB Scorpio Blue would be a nice addition in any sense. Works on the PS3, why shouldn't it work for the 360 as well?

[quote name='Dinky']Late night. Sorry about that.[/QUOTE]No worries.

I just picked up a 32 GB Emtec from Office Depot for $12.99. I got the performance warning, and then started to install a game to it. It's taking forever, but when it finishes I'll play it and see how it performs.

Glad to hear that most of the performance issues deal with writing to the USB sticks and not so much in playing off of them.

UPDATE: Game seemed to perform just fine. I transferred a small game (Braid, 145MB) over to my flashdrive and it played the exact same as if it was playing from the hard drive.

I think I'm going to transfer over some of my bigger Games on Demand games I have but don't plan to play right away (Gunstringer, RE4, Bully, Dance Central 2), and free up 28 or so free gigs back on my Xbox harddrive. Happy with my USB drive so far. It's gonna take forever though, the write time is miserably slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to post but I've been using the 2 GB Forza Motorsport 3 Limited Edition (GameStop Exclusive) USB drive and it's given me the performance warning once out of the 3 or 4 times I've taken 360 storage off then back on the drive.

The compatibility test I guess is just checking the write/read speed of the usb to see if it's good.

http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/?g=32gb This helps.

Also, anyone has proved a usb 3.0 in the x360? I might. Soon. The write/read speed of a bad usb 3.0 flash drive when you plug it in a usb 2.0 is far fastest than a good usb 2.0 flash drive.

The compatibility test I guess is just checking the write/read speed of the usb to see if it's good.

http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/?g=32gb This helps.

Also, anyone has proved a usb 3.0 in the x360? I might. Soon. The write/read speed of a bad usb 3.0 flash drive when you plug it in a usb 2.0 is far fastest than a good usb 2.0 flash drive.
I've had two of these hooked up in my 360 Slim for many, many months without a single issue:

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Supersonic-Boost-Flash-PEF32GSBUSB/dp/B007JPVYFO/

I've had two of these hooked up in my 360 Slim for many, many months without a single issue:
Thanks, so they work nicely then. Besides, Patriot supersonic is a very good pendrive, I've thought of something cheaper. More like one of these: http://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Classic-Capless-Flash-AC103-32G-RBK/dp/B008FGT3L8/ref=sr_1_34?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370890139&sr=1-34&keywords=adata+usb+3.0

BTW, my reply window is empty (black), do I have to do something in order for it to appear? The only way I can post is by full window, and I can't quote.

edit: it seems it was ie9 fault. Forum works nicely with firefox.

bread's done
Back