Xbox Banning Discussion

according to the podcast, it seems that you will get banned for playing content using another gametag. say you bought a game on your console C1 with gametag G1, and then you log out and log in with gametag G2 and play it on C1. you will get banned.

this seems really outrageous as i don't remember any of these have been mentioned anywhere before. and microsoft does not hand out warnings, they just go straight perm banning people's tags and consoles.

i will avoid this kind of company like a plague.
I just edited my post. I am listening to it now and it sounds like they are saying that you can't play it with your gamertag on another console when someone is ALSO playing online with it on the console with which you purchased it. Still crazy, but not as crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious, I have NEVER downloaded any of these free games. Not once.

I just logged onto my Xbox 360 to play GTA V and got a notice of suspension. The only thing I've ever done is use the free month link from the deals forum.

Any insight guys?

I am curious, I have NEVER downloaded any of these free games. Not once.

I just logged onto my Xbox 360 to play GTA V and got a notice of suspension. The only thing I've ever done is use the free month link from the deals forum.

Any insight guys?
did they email you anything. there's an xbox forum where you can ask why you got suspended. maybe you added a swear word to your bio or something.

I have survived the weekend, hope they don't continue this Monday. I am going to make a gamble that they won't ban my account which has hundreds of dollars. Wish me luck guys.

Noting that, I have $21 on my main account, which has been active for ten years. Now after eating these snozberries tonight.... "i'm freakin' out mannnnnn".

did they email you anything. there's an xbox forum where you can ask why you got suspended. maybe you added a swear word to your bio or something.

Yes, a generic "code of conduct violation" copypasta. Could you please link me?

Notification of Permanent Suspension: Marketplace theft

DO NOT REPLY to this email address. It is not monitored. ]

This email is to notify you that your Xbox LIVE account privileges have been permanently suspended due to marketplace theft.

The conduct that caused this suspension may include, but is not limited to:

• Duplication of item purchase history
  • Attempted Microsoft Points fraud
  • Illegitimate acquisition of redemption codes

according to the podcast, it seems that you will get banned for playing content using another gametag. say you bought a game on your console C1 with gametag G1, and then you log out and log in with gametag G2 and play it on C1. you will get banned.

this seems really outrageous as i don't remember any of these have been mentioned anywhere before. and microsoft does not hand out warnings, they just go straight perm banning people's tags and consoles.

i will avoid this kind of company like a plague.
So, most Australians who made a American accounts just so they could play State of Decay because their game rating system is so jacked they're screwed?

Also, I shared a console with my brother he doesn't play games anymore so If he signs into his account and downloads something like Castle Crashers and my account doesn't have it purchased I am not allowed to touch the game even though it says I can play it?

This email is to notify you that your Xbox LIVE account privileges have been permanently suspended due to marketplace theft.

Wow, it sounds like they're swinging their cock so hard it's beating everyone down.

They are also banning people who used the 1 month free promotion for gold.

I had a profile banned saturday, only thing it did was use the 1 month free promotion. I have read on other forums people have been banned for abusing it.

So I never downloaded any of the Oman games, Bosnian games, or the $1 promo and I just used the android app to check my console and it came up clean. But I did get Ben 10 when it was free, I assume that still does not mean I am safe, but I assume it means I am currently...not on their radar?

At this rate I wouldn't be shocked if before the end of the day on November 22nd someone reports getting a ban because they had their gamer tag logged in to their new XB1 and someone else turned on their 360 and it auto logged them in there.

So I never downloaded any of the Oman games, Bosnian games, or the $1 promo and I just used the android app to check my console and it came up clean. But I did get Ben 10 when it was free, I assume that still does not mean I am safe, but I assume it means I am currently...not on their radar?
Supposedly Ben 10 is fine as it was a price screw up within your region when you downloaded it. Also that app can be incorrect if a console is flagged for a ban but hasn't connected to Live to actually be banned yet. It will come back clean. But yeah, if all you downloaded Ben 10 you should be fine.

Oh also, has anyone been banned that has NOT used the $1 account and NOT Oman/Bosnia? I know people got Injustice free some Costa Rica and Angry Birds from I think Germany, have any of those people been banned as far as people know?

At this rate I wouldn't be shocked if before the end of the day on November 22nd someone reports getting a ban because they had their gamer tag logged in to their new XB1 and someone else turned on their 360 and it auto logged them in there.

Supposedly Ben 10 is fine as it was a price screw up within your region when you downloaded it. Also that app can be incorrect if a console is flagged for a ban but hasn't connected to Live to actually be banned yet. It will come back clean. But yeah, if all you downloaded Ben 10 you should be fine.
Funny thing is you CAN be logged in on a XB1 and a 360 at the same time. Major Nelson did confirm you can do that. IIRC it was during an interview he was doing for the Reddit Q/A

They are also banning people who used the 1 month free promotion for gold.

I had a profile banned saturday, only thing it did was use the 1 month free promotion. I have read on other forums people have been banned for abusing it.

Abusing it? I've used it when my gold ran out, so more than once, since the promo has been active for a long time now. Would using the free month more than once over a period of time be considered abuse?!

Oh also, has anyone been banned that has NOT used the $1 account and NOT Oman/Bosnia? I know people got Injustice free some Costa Rica and Angry Birds from I think Germany, have any of those people been banned as far as people know?

What is the $1 account? I've done nothing but use the free month trial link from the deals forum. Just got a banned message tonight. Quite angry right now, has me a bit anxious to get this fixed.

What is the $1 account? I've done nothing but use the free month trial link from the deals forum. Just got a banned message tonight. Quite angry right now, has me a bit anxious to get this fixed.
Sorry, it's late...so forgive me. I meant the $1 Gold Month.

wow microsoft is really shooting themselves in the foot. If they're banning people for using the 1 month free promo, that's gonna piss a LOT of people off. that made it around the internet, reddit, fatwallet, slickdeals, etc.

this whole mess has really cemented my choice in getting a PS4 next gen. Way to treat your paying customers over some glitches/exploits. 

Sorry, it's late...so forgive me. I meant the $1 Gold Month.

I used the 2 months for $2 last year if that means anything. That used to pop up on my dash.

wow microsoft is really shooting themselves in the foot. If they're banning people for using the 1 month free promo, that's gonna piss a LOT of people off. this whole mess has really cemented my choice in getting a PS4 next gen. Way to treat your paying customers over some glitches/exploits.

My account is ten years old, with a LONG history of purchases and a account balance with $21 right now.

Who do I contact and how to get this fixed? This is not acceptable. I hate to admit it.... it's ruining my evening. :ziplip:

I used the 2 months for $2 last year if that means anything. That used to pop up on my dash.

My account is ten years old, with a LONG history of purchases and a account balance with $21 right now.

Who do I contact and how to get this fixed? This is not acceptable. I hate to admit it.... it's ruining my evening. :ziplip:
you might be SOL man. everything I've read says there is no recourse if you're banned. Absolute bullshit considering you have purchases linked and money in that account. try getting in touch with giantbomb, kotaku, news outlets that sort of thing, maybe you'll get some kind of response but I doubt it. if this gets big enough, maybe something will happen.

Are you certain that is the reason for your ban? Buying a product advertised on the dashboard seems the most extreme possible reason for banning. I am not familiar with this issue, the month for $1 so I don't really know how this was an "exploit" or how it was "abused" so if you could fill me in I would appreciate it.

edit: Just looked up the 1 month for $1 issue. Again, totally MSs fault. They had control over making the purchase stackable and over allowing xbox live gold accounts to buy it. If there is something on the marketplace and I have have the money to buy it, they are really SOBs to blame you for buying it. They are the ones with the power, any failing on their system's part is their fault, no one elses.

Ugh, can you picture this kinda crap happening with the Xbox One PLUS the restrictions that were originally going to be on it? Glad I'm going with the PS4. I'll get the One after a price drop and when MS gets their act together.

Don't know if anyone else will be doing the same, but tonight I'll be dreaming of ban hammers dancing in my head; I wish it was sugar plum fairies. :(

Are you certain that is the reason for your ban? Buying a product advertised on the dashboard seems the most extreme possible reason for banning. I am not familiar with this issue, the month for $1 so I don't really know how this was an "exploit" or how it was "abused" so if you could fill me in I would appreciate it.
The email is completely vague. The only thing I've done for Xbox live is use the one free month link from this very site. My gold ran out, I use the link from the deals forum. I have not changed my region nor downloaded any free games illicitly, ever.

The email is completely vague. The only thing I've done for Xbox live is use the one free month link from this very site. My gold ran out, I use the link from the deals forum. I have not changed my region nor downloaded any free games illicitly, ever.
I've seen a trickle of ban reports from people who used it multiple times over the past month or so, so ya this is probably what got you banned. Seems like they are cracking down hard on all things that they deem as "theft". TheRelaxingEnd (a pretty well known CoD Zombies streamer on Twitch) just had an account banned recently for purchasing a redemption code for BO2 season pass from a third party seller. Something that seems insane to ban for and is done by people all the time but it is in violation of the code of conduct.

Wtf I just heard that podcast with Stallon83 and BL4CK SiLv4. Is M$ fuckin insane? Did I hear right and Silv4 said that they are banning people who played games from international marketplaces even if they paid for them and that they don't want you doing that?

Then why the fuck are they selling region free Microsoft point cards on their own store if they didn't want you to buy shit in other regions?

I've seen a trickle of ban reports from people who used it multiple times over the past month or so, so ya this is probably what got you banned. Seems like they are cracking down hard on all things that they deem as "theft". TheRelaxingEnd (a pretty well known CoD Zombies streamer on Twitch) just had an account banned recently for purchasing a redemption code for BO2 season pass from a third party seller. Something that seems insane to ban for and is done by people all the time but it is in violation of the code of conduct.
I haven't used it multiple times. I even have a one year card lined up for GTA online and AC4 since the free trial runs out tomorrow.

That's why I'm so bothered. Besides the years I've had gold, the money in my account, and the games I have lined up to play on XBL.

I'm playing GTA V right now and I can't even concentrate on the game. My mind keeps wondering and it's ruining my night.

I haven't used it multiple times. I even have a one year card lined up for GTA online and AC4 since the free trial runs out tomorrow.

That's why I'm so bothered. Besides the years I've had gold, the money in my account, and the games I have lined up to play on XBL.

I'm playing GTA V right now and I can't even concentrate on the game. My mind keeps wondering and it's ruining my night.
Oh. I am not very familiar with what it was, saw the thread title before but never looked at it. Was it some kind of exploit or just a normal free month offer from MS? If it wasn't some kind of exploit I'd be very surprised if this is what actually caused the ban if you only used it once. Unfortunately you'll probably never actually find out what specifically caused it. They seem to go out of their way to be as unhelpful as possible.

I'll say it again, everyone should contact the Better Business Bureau. Just shoot them an email explaining Microsoft is screwing you over. More people do it there may be results

Oh man. My heart really goes out to you, seriously. My mind is distracted just waiting for the new console I ordered to come in the mail so I can set it up and get everything back to normal. But if my account was banned, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. My skin would be crawling. I really hope you find a way to get you account back, it is really outlandish for them to ban your acocunt for buying a product they offered.

I got this weird message when I turned on my xbox the other day..My profile will auto sign into xbl normally but I received a message that said something..I can't quite remember but it told me to visit xbox.com/goods, something like that. So in the end it didn't connect to live, I didn't care as I was just going to play GTA V for a short while before bed, I turned off my console after a bit, went to bed then when I signed in later that night all was well and it didn't make me accept anything before it would connect to live. Just did it automatically. Anyone else see this? I did just get off midnights that morning so maybe I'm getting the Web address wrong. But I know for sure I never accepted anything or downloaded anything.

I got this weird message when I turned on my xbox the other day..My profile will auto sign into xbl normally but I received a message that said something..I can't quite remember but it told me to visit xbox.com/goods, something like that. So in the end it didn't connect to live, I didn't care as I was just going to play GTA V for a short while before bed, I turned off my console after a bit, went to bed then when I signed in later that night all was well and it didn't make me accept anything before it would connect to live. Just did it automatically. Anyone else see this? I did just get off midnights that morning so maybe I'm getting the Web address wrong. But I know for sure I never accepted anything or downloaded anything.
are you sure it wasnt xbox.com/proofs,it pops up cause they want you to add security proofs.

For the past week every other time I signed in XBL kept asking me to verify my phone number. Then tonight when I turned my system on it said I was banned. Still fuming.

For the past week every other time I signed in XBL kept asking me to verify my phone number. Then tonight when I turned my system on it said I was banned. Still fuming.
Yep thats the same thing that happened to me. A day or two before I was banned it asked to verify my phone number. I just kinda ignored it but found it really odd. I guess if you get this it's a clear sign that the xbox will be banned.

Yep thats the same thing that happened to me. A day or two before I was banned it asked to verify my phone number. I just kinda ignored it but found it really odd. I guess if you get this it's a clear sign that the xbox will be banned.
I did not know that.

Anyone else banned have the same thing happen?

are you sure it wasnt xbox.com/proofs,it pops up cause they want you to add security proofs.
aha! I think that was it. Last time I logged on to live was the 27th...never got the message for my phone number but hopefully I'm not banned. Never dreamed in a million years people could get banned for what is being described here. Who reads those ToS docs anyway? They have to know 99% of people just click OK...wonder if you have multiple offences if it will be more likely than one offence. Common sense things like offensive repeated language, console hacks, etc are all understandable, but taking advantage of a glitch 1 time should net you a warning email to delete the profiles used to obtain the content along with the content obtained. Having just purchased GTA V I will be pissed if I have to get another 360 to play online or end up having to buy the game on ps3....Def deleting the game (angry birds) off my console. Maybe that will prevent it??

Feel just like Romeo, was going to play some GTA5 after having to stay and work almost 4 hours OT everyday last week, but the worry of getting banned put me off.
I think several people have said that it's too late to delete anything since we are all flagged.
Did anybody who got banned download the free games and not play them, but also buy other games from foreign marketplaces and did play those?

Are any hungarian accounts getting hit with bans? idk if i should chance putting my hungy account on a new xbox when i get one. i have wwe and borderlands 2 on there so i'd like to use it.

Are any hungarian accounts getting hit with bans? idk if i should chance putting my hungy account on a new xbox when i get one. i have wwe and borderlands 2 on there so i'd like to use it.
Apparently they're cracking down on people who buys stuff with foreign accounts too.

I did not know that.

Anyone else banned have the same thing happen?
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but xboxlive has been asking me to update my security information for about a month now lol. I have not downloaded any games or abuse any xboxlive offers. If I do get banned for god knows what reason I will sell all xbox stuff and use the money towards a gaming PC.

So does anybody have any thoughts on what to do if we "think" our consoles are banned but haven't checked yet? Send them in for a repair for $79 and hope to get a different one back? Trade it in to Gamestop? Sell it? Oh man. This sucks. I'm afraid to even look. I will never download anything free again. From another region/account anyway.

So does anybody have any thoughts on what to do if we "think" our consoles are banned but haven't checked yet? Send them in for a repair for $79 and hope to get a different one back? Trade it in to Gamestop? Sell it? Oh man. This sucks. I'm afraid to even look. I will never download anything free again. From another region/account anyway.
As soon as you log on Xbox.com, it will tell you if you are banned or not.

Best advice is probably to stay low. Don't bother using your console online for a while after the ban wave. Don't post on the Xbox forums. Don't message other players or get noticed.

Sending a banned console to Microsoft may get your profiles noticed and the repair rejected.

If you are going to check the console ban, the best thing to do is to remove the hard drive and all storage media before turning the console on. This would prevent any corruption that supposedly may occur with banned consoles. Once you have confirmed that the console has been banned, never insert any storage media with your previous data. Perform a full image backup and then transfer your existing data to a different console.

I downloaded the Injustice for free from costa rica and no bans yet. 

I would be pissed if they banned my account. I had this account sense the first xbox. Spanning over 10 years. Why now? Why ban a shit load of people before a major console launch. Microsoft really dont wanna win this generation do they?

Best advice is probably to stay low. Don't bother using your console online for a while after the ban wave. Don't post on the Xbox forums. Don't message other players or get noticed.

Sending a banned console to Microsoft may get your profiles noticed and the repair rejected.

If you are going to check the console ban, the best thing to do is to remove the hard drive and all storage media before turning the console on. This would prevent any corruption that supposedly may occur with banned consoles. Once you have confirmed that the console has been banned, never insert any storage media with your previous data. Perform a full image backup and then transfer your existing data to a different console.
How would you do that with a Slim?

That's for account ban. Console ban message does not appear on the website, only on the console.
Has anyone reported getting an email in addition to their profile or console ban? I still listed as a Gold Member, no email, no message. Can't check the console till I get home. Although I don't see my account balance anywhere and I had over $100 on there from the MS points transfer. I'm sure there are a lot of people that feel the same way as me. Tried this shit once and got fucked. Dammit. Should have known.

How would you do that with a Slim?
For the non-removable storage media, make sure that the network connection is completely disabled for the console before turning it on. Copy all existing data to a flash drive. Confirm that the data on the flash drive works. May want to copy everything to another flash drive just in case. Remove the flash drives. Then, delete everything on the non-removable storage media. Once you connect the banned console to the Internet, I would not trust any data that remains on the non-removable storage media.

Has anyone reported getting an email in addition to their profile or console ban? I still listed as a Gold Member, no email, no message. Can't check the console till I get home. Although I don't see my account balance anywhere and I had over $100 on there from the MS points transfer. I'm sure there are a lot of people that feel the same way as me. Tried this shit once and got fucked. Dammit. Should have known.
I spent the last 20 dollars on my account and grabbed X-Com Emeny Unknown on sale in the marketplace. I be damned to let M$ get that money.

No ban email is good news for the account. As far as I know, console ban message can only be viewed on the console.

Account balance is no longer shown on the Xbox website after the real money transition, but account balance can be checked on https://commerce.microsoft.com/.

bread's done
Back