XBox Dashboard Update 11/01/10 (Formerly: Xbox Live Preview Program)

I also like the look of the new update.

I don't care about ESPN, but I still had to check it out. I watched a little bit of Aussie rules football. That game I do not get. Sometimes they hit the ball like a volleyball, other times they toss it and then they kick it.

The stream for it was 5.5 hours long, but the game didn't start until 2 hours in. I think the game was like the Superbowl for the sport. INXS playd like 3 songs during the opening. Other than that, I just sat and fast forwarded through it.

Next I need to check out another sport I've never seen played, Cricket. :)

Oh yeah, I like how when you launch Netflix, the popup says "Friends watching Netflix" or something. It doesn't say "Friends playing this game" anymore. About time the system figured out the difference between a game and an application. :)

[quote name='reddjoey']One not being the beta doesn't hinder multiplayer, it will just won't allow you to party chat. If it's in the same house, it shouldn't be hard to work out an alternate solution if that's the deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's same house PLUS others...

The menus are super bright and clash with my dark themes. Avatars look really creepy. I have mine set on the medium female height and she looks super stretched out. Also, we can't private chat with people who don't have it? I was OK with giving up parties, but I didn't see anything about private chatting though it's not working for me.

[quote name='theredworm']the "please stand by" during commercials is an espn3 thing

I've had to watch several games online to see my favorite team play and it's something I've gotten used to already[/QUOTE]

it's like that with mlb.tv also which i use on my ps3 so those are always good times to run to the bathroom or fridge.

I like the update thus far. ESPN is nice, I like the improved Netflix, think the Game Marketplace will take a little time to get used to but I do like how new items are now expanded to 50 instead of 12 or whatever they used to have. I find this important since Rock Band or Guitar Hero or Madden DLC usually took up the whole thing on the old dashboard and you could never be certain if you might have missed out on something.

I tried out ESPN and it looks pretty cool. I added NBA and NFL to my sports so i can scroll through their little video news updates on those sports. I tried to watch some baseball game and it was alright quality. Not near HD, plus it would buffer after ever 20 seconds or so. I guess i just dont have fast enough internet.

Is the ESPN thing just for AT&T customers, or does it say AT&T just because thats what i have?

[quote name='The 7th Number'].

Is the ESPN thing just for AT&T customers, or does it say AT&T just because thats what i have?[/QUOTE]

Mine shows Comcast. (which is my provider)

[quote name='The 7th Number']
Is the ESPN thing just for AT&T customers, or does it say AT&T just because thats what i have?[/QUOTE]

It's because you have AT&T. Each ISP should have their logo in that space.

Updated my avatar, and yeah, they look wonky. I'm sure it won't be too long before we're all used to them. Sucks none of the premium avatar clothes or unlockables have been converted yet.

i was playing halo reach on the new dash and while playing i unlocked an avatar award. I wonder if it was new avatar award or was it one of the old ones I unlocked and it unlocked for the first time because of the new dash???

The friends portion of the main dashboard loads instantaneously, which is nice. Though I'm not really liking the new game marketplace.

[quote name='cin84_12']The menus are super bright and clash with my dark themes. Avatars look really creepy. I have mine set on the medium female height and she looks super stretched out. Also, we can't private chat with people who don't have it? I was OK with giving up parties, but I didn't see anything about private chatting though it's not working for me.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing all of the voice communication with friends is disabled due to the new audio codecs in this update

[quote name='ThatGreenNick']I'm guessing all of the voice communication with friends is disabled due to the new audio codecs in this update[/QUOTE]

Right. And have you tried voice? It's almost skype quality.

[quote name='Hoffer']Oh yeah, I like how when you launch Netflix, the popup says "Friends watching Netflix" or something. It doesn't say "Friends playing this game" anymore. About time the system figured out the difference between a game and an application. :)[/QUOTE]

It said "friends watching Netflix" for me before, but it wasn't consistent - sometimes it would say "playing this game" too.

Really starting to hate the light gray text on overwhelming white backgrounds. Makes everything harder to read.

I'm not part of the preview, but I'm really hoping there is a way to turn off the avatars if possible? I highly doubt it but has anyone seen any options like that?

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I'm not part of the preview, but I'm really hoping there is a way to turn off the avatars if possible? I highly doubt it but has anyone seen any options like that?[/QUOTE]

Blasphemer!

[quote name='utopianmachine']Um...which of these things is it? There's so many choices![/QUOTE]

1. Go to the connect site
2. Login
3. At your dashboard click on the link for Product Directory.
4. On the bottom left click the link that says "View Connect products currently accepting feedback" (you might not have to do this step)
5. Do a search for "xbox"
6. One result should appear. Click through.

also, there are locked forums on xbox.com that you can access

[quote name='reddjoey']It's because you have AT&T. Each ISP should have their logo in that space.[/QUOTE]

I've been too lazy to switch to U-verse since it became available in my area, but Time Warner's ESPN dispute (along with all their other suckiness) has finally pushed me over the edge. U-verse order placed.

It's weird though, I can stream ESPN3.com on my computer at home, but the Xbox application says "ISP not compatible" or whatever.

[quote name='reddjoey']1. Go to the connect site
2. Login
3. At your dashboard click on the link for Product Directory.
4. On the bottom left click the link that says "View Connect products currently accepting feedback" (you might not have to do this step)
5. Do a search for "xbox"
6. One result should appear. Click through.

also, there are locked forums on xbox.com that you can access[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the specifics, redjoey. You rock.

[quote name='Darkchaos91']Anyone else have to do another system update?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='KJ19']i just had to do 2 updates.[/QUOTE]

Looks like that's affecting a lot of people. Folks on the Xbox forums are commenting on that too.

So I was browsing some DLC, when all of a sudden the whole screen shifted off to the right, so that only about a third of the menu was visible. I tapped the back button, and suddenly everything was super zoomed in. Had to turn the console off to fix it.

I went to the Xbox Beta forums to report this, but now it's saying "Forum Group Not Found The requested Forum Group cannot be found."

Gay.

just got logged out of xbox live and had to download another update, any idea what its for?

Today i was browsing themes and thought for a 2nd that the theme was previewed in the background....but its not, its just some random art for the game. Which was pretty disappointing to say the least.

[quote name='sp00ge']Fantastic. Apparently .AVI files aren't supported under the new system, not as of yet anyways. Ugh...[/QUOTE]

I'll have to check that out. I have the update and watched some .AVI files last night, but not since today's update to the update. haha

[quote name='sp00ge']Fantastic. Apparently .AVI files aren't supported under the new system, not as of yet anyways. Ugh...[/QUOTE]

They are playing fine for me. I was watching a movie when it prompted for an update in fact. (even turned the system off and back on)

Perhaps they dropped/broke support for some specific codec?

The avatar marketplace works again and customizing your avatar will prompt for an update (adorable animation btw) but awards seem to still be broken.

edit: XviD, DivX 5, and mp4 are what I've played so far and they work. H.264 doesn't work but it never did in either the 360 or the PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fell Open Ian']They are playing fine for me. I was watching a movie when it prompted for an update in fact. (even turned the system off and back on)

Perhaps they dropped/broke support for some specific codec?

The avatar marketplace works again and customizing your avatar will prompt for an update (adorable animation btw) but awards seem to still be broken.

edit: XviD and mp4 are what I've played to far and they work.[/QUOTE]

Odd. I just tried playing .AVI upstairs on the xbox that hasn't been updated and I'm getting the not supported error on that one too. The file I tested was one that my gf was just watching last night. :/

EDIT: I can get things to play via MediaCenter, but that usually tends to get choppy.

[quote name='sp00ge']Odd. I just tried playing .AVI upstairs on the xbox that hasn't been updated and I'm getting the not supported error on that one too. The file I tested was one that my gf was just watching last night. :/
[/QUOTE]

I'd try opening them in VirtualDub or the like and figure out exactly what they were encoded in. That is odd that it worked fine last night but not now.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']I'd try opening them in VirtualDub or the like and figure out exactly what they were encoded in. That is odd that it worked fine last night but not now.[/QUOTE]

Majority are Xvid. This has me stumped...

Hmm...are they on a disc or USB drive or what?

It could be the media itself which it no longer supports which is even worse news. (like they broke/dropped +R support or something of that nature...I tried a DVD-R and XviD played fine as well as from my Micro Cruzer USB drive btw)

Either way I'd try the disc/drive in something else. Definitely weird.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the gamerscore, friends, and messages in the upper right corner are really small now. I can barely see them on my TV.

Actually this is streaming from my Windows 7 PC. Vids play fine streamed to my PS3 and to the 360s via Media Center, despite some mild/moderate choppiness. But streaming to the 360 dash is no longer possible.

I'm beginning to think it's a combo windows/xbox issue. I had to reboot my PC when I got home from work and some updates installed and that's when the problems started....

BIG EDIT: I think I figured it out. I went through all teh updates that happened today and the only thing not Office related was a Silverlight update. I went ahead and uninstalled Silverlight altogether (since Windows 7 doesn't let you uninstall updates for Silverlight) and voila, streaming is back in action.

Anyone else prompted for another update after the the first preview install? Just turned on my 360 and another Live update installed.

UPDATE: Looks like the update was to introduce you to the new dashboard.

2.0.12567.0 - Initial preview program dashboard version
2.0.12581.0 - Current after today's update

(Yes I know I'm a nerd for keeping track :p)

And after all of that it was a Silverlight conflict? lol I can see why they didn't find that...you should probably report it to them.

edit: I've discovered something a bit scary: My credit card info is now stored on the 360. Why is that scary? I've never entered it into the 360. I've purchased XBLA titles through Amazon and I've added points via the Zune Marketplace but I have never put the info into the 360 nor Xbox.com. (I went through hell canceling Live on the original Xbox because of it storing said info in case you are wondering)

Also I can not remove said credit card info from the system. (if someone finds the option please inform me)

Nefarious? Possibly. Shady? Most definitely.

edit 2: Yes I do know about Xbox.com/accounts and I have removed the CC info but there is not an option to do so on the 360 itself which was the exact same problem I had with the original Xbox.

i think this new update has helped with handshaking issues i had with my first generation westinghouse 1080p monitor. I have the xbox hooked up through a pioneer receiver, and before like 1 out of every 5 times i booted it up i needed to switch inputs back and forth. also i couldnt watch a hd-dvd without getting hdmi handshake errors. now it seems like it is all fixed. this doesnt pertain to many people but i figured i would share it anyway.

had a weird glitch where the dashboard moved off to the right and then zoomed in on everything when I moved around on it. Selected ESPN, watched the end of the college football game and went back to the dashboard which was normal.

avi and h264 stream fine from my macbook to my 360 via connect360 still in the updated dashboard

[quote name='Stonecoldfreak1']Wow. The new dash really hurts my head for some reason.[/QUOTE]

I felt this at first as well. Going through the menus made my eyes feel all weird.

2nd day ive started to get adjusted to it though.

bread's done
Back