xbox live account hacked

Looks like my account finally got suspended as I got an e-mail (in Russian. had to google translate it) to my attached account saying it was suspended.

And just tried to log in to xbox.com and got a message (in russian) confirming that it was suspended.

So at least that step has finally happened, hopefully it will get resolved within the 25 business day window.

[quote name='menikmati']I've removed my old info and replaced it and it removes that error from the website but I still get the error when actually on my console.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the confirmation. On my console it gave that error, then I chose the new CC, it signed me in to live but my friends list is empty. Then if I do anything that leaves the main section, it signs me out again.

I think I'll stop messing around with it now :)

On the bright side, this may mean we can buy sale items on XBLA while under investigation...assuming you still have any points in your account. Black Friday deals will hurt to miss out on.

Hey kirby145, where should I go to fill up the alternate e-mail slots on my account? Is that a feature of Xbox Live or Windows Live ID? Also, if you happen to know, can I change (fill up) these addresses while my account is suspended/under investigation?

Also also, thanks for sharing the tips (o'')b

Went ahead and made a new gamertag and got the 1 month trial so I can at least use Netflix and play some MW3 online while waiting to get my account back.

Anyone else feel like just taking the loss rather than waiting longer? Don't count on it. Rep on the phone told me it would take at least a week to undo my pending investigation for security purposes if I chose to go that route.

I don't have that option since my account got migrated to Russia. Have to wait it out so I can get my account back in the US.

My 1200 MSP were credited back to my account today and I can sign on to XBL. However, I received what appeared to be a phishing email from [email protected] but it had the alternate email I gave to the Xbox representative when I called them last month. I clicked through the link to verify, but immediately logged out and went to secure browsing and changed my password.

[quote name='menikmati']My 1200 MSP were credited back to my account today and I can sign on to XBL. However, I received what appeared to be a phishing email from [email protected] but it had the alternate email I gave to the Xbox representative when I called them last month. I clicked through the link to verify, but immediately logged out and went to secure browsing and changed my password.[/QUOTE]

pretty sure that's a legitimate email... but I did the same as well. Actually since all of this I got probably the same email, customer service survey email, and I think it was an invitation to some focus group or something... just not taking the chance.

Yeah my account got taken over on Friday. I ws able to recover it and change passwords. I lost all the point already on the account, but no CC info. Microsoft said 25 days to investigate, we'll see what happens. I was going to game like crazy over winter break, so hopefully my account gets unlocked before then.

FYI, it's 25 business days that's estimated. Still no movement on mine that I reported on Oct 25th....but still within the 25 business day estimate of course.

How exactly do these accounts get hacked? I've thankfully never gotten my Xbox account hacked, but it just seems to happen to everybody out of the blue? I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say you guys most likely don't click on phishing links, which makes me wonder how it happens.

I remember I got my WoW account hacked randomly in September after not having played the game since April. People can figure out your password just like that?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']How exactly do these accounts get hacked? I've thankfully never gotten my Xbox account hacked, but it just seems to happen to everybody out of the blue? I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say you guys most likely don't click on phishing links, which makes me wonder how it happens.

I remember I got my WoW account hacked randomly in September after not having played the game since April. People can figure out your password just like that?[/QUOTE]

The current thought of these recent hacks is that there is some security issue with EA's online service. I know for me personally, I did not click on any phishing links, etc, but a week after I played Medal of Honor and was forced to sign up for their service, my account was hacked.

Yeah I didn't click any fishing links etc. problem is far too widespread to be people getting fished. EA and/or MS got hackEd and users account info was compromised.

I just got an email saying there was a delay in the investigation which included a free 1 month code. So looks like its going to be a while.

Just bought a wii wih Zelda in the target deal so I have some games to play while waiting since I don't wan to risk missing out on achievments on 360 games.

Got my account back. The guy that stole my account use my points on RE4 and 3 themes that are 240 each. If I want a refund, I would need to lock my account again so MS can investigate...

My experience...

...you bring someone hacking your account upon yourself in some way or another

...sometimes in a small way...sometimes you straight gave your password and email...

[quote name='Khalid']Got my account back. The guy that stole my account use my points on RE4 and 3 themes that are 240 each. If I want a refund, I would need to lock my account again so MS can investigate...[/QUOTE]
But you get to keep the game after they investigate right?

I'm not sure. I was hoping I wouldn't have to lock again so I could play and be able to buy stuff for the holiday deals on the marketplace.

Reading about everyone's experience makes me a bit nervous. Got hacked in early November. Reported it November 8th and was told 21-25 days and I specifically asked business days or calendar days and the rep told me it used to be business days but now it is 21-25 calendar days. For whatever that is worth. No idea how I got hacked. I'm not stupid enough to fall for some phishing tactics or any other usual garbage. Had around 20,000 points stolen. Hope to get them back asap. The reps I've talked to never told me what country was responsible for the hack. I guess I should have asked. He did say if it was hacked outside the U.S./Canada it might take longer.

ok just wanted to post a timeline

oct 15th - account hacked and points purchased on card... reported to MS and account locked and to credit card company.

oct 18th - fradulent charge was processed to credit card and credit card company issued credit to cover the fraud.

nov 7th - got account back.

nov 17th - MS issued refund to credit card.

so as of 3 days ago I'm 54 bucks and change to the good for this... I do plan on contacting credit card company to notify them of the refund but don't want to do it till I make sure they aren't going to correct it themselves.... would hate for them to correct it twice.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Reading about everyone's experience makes me a bit nervous. Got hacked in early November. Reported it November 8th and was told 21-25 days and I specifically asked business days or calendar days and the rep told me it used to be business days but now it is 21-25 calendar days. For whatever that is worth. No idea how I got hacked. I'm not stupid enough to fall for some phishing tactics or any other usual garbage. Had around 20,000 points stolen. Hope to get them back asap. The reps I've talked to never told me what country was responsible for the hack. I guess I should have asked. He did say if it was hacked outside the U.S./Canada it might take longer.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, the rep told me business days.

You Know its experiences like this that inspire everyone to tell microsoft To step up thier security measures,but there will always be hackers around to find away around thier system.I am Sorry for all of you who's accounts were hacked and ripped off by an anyonomus person

My GF's account just got FIFA hacked (achievements were unlocked today) and all but 20 points ripped from it. Luckily neither of us keep any CC info on account so that is reducing the amount of footwork we have to do here. Still a pain in the ass especially considering we had changed passwords after the last breach on PSN in an effort to keep things safer.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']My experience...

...you bring someone hacking your account upon yourself in some way or another

...sometimes in a small way...sometimes you straight gave your password and email...[/QUOTE]

I can't think of anything I did that would have compromised my info beyond the FORCED link up of the Live and EA accounts for Bioware games.

Beyond that, I never click on links in e-mails (especially in the hotmail account I have linked to Live as it's my junk mail account for things like Live and online orders) and have never linked my Live account to anything else.

This seems too widespread to be just phishing issues. Most likely EA and or MS got hacked and some account info got compromised and they're just refusing to acknowledge it as it's not as widespread as the PSN hacking a while back.

Anyway, mine was hacked and migrated to Russia on October 25th. No word other than the e-mail with another free 1 month code for a temp account I got last week stating their was a delay in the investigation.

Yep, happened to me too....

FIFA hacked and bought LoTS of Gold Packs with my points and then stole $ for more points....

And I should have known given I got an email from EA same day it was hacked saying my email address had been changed...

Hacked on the 12th but didn't notice on Live til the 22nd when I got back in and played and noticed my points balance at 0...

Called on the 23rd so we will see...I hate being w/o Live especially w just buying WWE 12

When mine got hacked, I called MS, they said it'd take about 25 days, but I don't think it took more than 2 weeks before all my points were refunded. I also got two one month live codes for my trouble. Then again, I didn't have a CC on the account, only a bunch of points. I was still able to use my account except for the final few days of the investigation.

You were lucky. Mine was hacked, points spent and account migrated to Russia on Oct 25th and I'm still waiting.

On the Xbox support forums there are multiple people who've been waiting for 2-3+ months or more.

It does seem that those who just lost points and didn't have the account migrated to a foreign country get the issue resolved quicker. Apparently there are some international law hurdles with getting a migrated count transferred back to the owner that slows the process down.

My account was hacked on Nov 3 and got it back today. Still don't have my points back, but that should happen in 3 - 5 days. That sucked big time, but nice to be back.

Too lazy to look earlier in the thread....

Did your account get migrated to a foreign country, or did you just lose the points?

[quote name='dmaul1114']Too lazy to look earlier in the thread....

Did your account get migrated to a foreign country, or did you just lose the points?[/QUOTE]

Just lost the points. I spoke to one rep today who said because of the recent rash of account hacks, they are saying that it coudl be 6 weeks of business days to get things back in order.

Yeah, seems to be a pretty long delay per posts on the Xbox support forums, especially for those who got migrated to other countries. I'm on my 5th week now, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

I'm not that down about it since I bought a Wii and am sucked into Zelda right now. So honestly I don't care that much as long as I get back within a couple weeks so I can get some gaming in over winter break. Need to finish Dragon Age 2, play the campaign in MW3 and move on to some games like Batman and Skyrim that I'll be getting for Xmas!

I did send a console to Microsoft (RROD) with no hard drive when my account was hacked a week later, but that seems more like coincidence than anything. I don't think the system itself can save anything personal.

So figured out that it was for sure the FIFA hack...

Checked my dashboard and have 35 Gamerscore for FIFA 12 for purchasing items and packs....

I hope these hackers die a very slow painful death and land straight to hell!

Got my points back. Here is my timeline:
Hacked Nov 6th
Reported to MS Nov 8th
Got my points back Dec 1st

Note that my account did not get migrated and I was able to log into Xbox.com and change my password once I noticed I was hacked.

You know, the least Microsoft could do is give us status updates through email on how they're coming along w the investigations...

Hell, sublet that out to a computer program and they could be automated...it's not that difficult...

I just am curious how much work they're actually doing in these "25 days"

You will get an automated e-mail on the 25th day (if it's not done by then) stating that there's been a delay with the investigation and including a code for a 1 month of Live to set up a temp account in the mean time.

[quote name='dmaul1114']You will get an automated e-mail on the 25th day (if it's not done by then) stating that there's been a delay with the investigation and including a code for a 1 month of Live to set up a temp account in the mean time.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else feel this is extremely lame and in poor taste considering the amount of money some of us have spent w Microsoft and specifically XBox over the years?

It definitely completely sucks.

Have missed out on a lot of XBLA deals over black friday etc. since my account is locked. Haven't been able to access any of the Gears 3 DLC that I paid for via the season pass as my accounts locked.

Annoying as hell. I don't get why these investigations take so long. I don't care about taking time to get the points I lost back, but I don't see why they can't get my account migrated back from Russia and under my control faster than this (5 weeks and counting).

I've fallen victim to having my account compromised as well. I was playing Forza 4 last night when the console informed me that I was using my profile on a difference console. I immediately called XBOX support to notify them. Unfortunately, the person who stole my account was able to purchase 10000 microsoft points with my paypal account, as well at transfer the 3700 points I currently had on my profile. While checking my email receipts of this unauthorized purchases, I notices one email notifying me of microsoft points transfer had been sent to another recipient along with myself. I've supplied Xbox support with this person's email address, and hopefully it will lead them the @sshole's xbox live account. Hoping that this matter will be duly resolved.

[quote name='braves22']Anyone else that had theirs hacked in mid Nov get access to their account back yet?[/QUOTE]

I had my account hacked in July 2011, and still haven't gotten it back yet. Just got off the phone with them for the 20-something'th time. They don't know anything, can't tell me anything.

If your account was migrated to another country, I wouldn't count on getting it back any time soon.

Their customer service is absolutely pathetic.

EDIT: I was charged for 6000 points at the time it was hacked, and fortunately that money was refunded in August. The account, however, has not been retrieved and the hacker is still actively playing it and getting achievements despite their knowledge that it was hacked.

Something is fishy there. The account should be locked down so no one can sign in to it while they're investigating.

Mine got hacked and migrated to Russia on Oct 25th as I've posted above. I can stillk play off line as the hacker never recovered my gamertag to their console as I was home and online when I got an e-mail confirming the migration and I immediately changed my password and called MS. Just can't play anything online or buy anything in the market place.

Some people who had their accounts migrated have started getting them back per posts in the Xbox support forums--those who've posted had 70 some day weights. But there are people over there that have been waiting for several months like you have as well. Seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some have such long waits.

The longer times for migrated accounts is apparently because they can't just move them back but have to manually rebuild the accounts line by line of code--and the programmers are swamped with all the hacked and migrated accounts. Per one post on the support forums where someone got some details from a supervisor on the support team.

Bunch of BS in any case. But at least I can play offline, and since the dashboard update at least my dashboard is back in English rather than Russian!

[quote name='2DMention']This won't happen with Nintendo.

M$ is too big of a company to give a crap about anyone but their shareholders.[/QUOTE]

We'll see when Nintendo gets some semblance of an online infrastructure. All I know is, I've had my WoW account hacked a couple times since the game came out, and I had the account back and items reimbursed within a day or two of finding out about it. Had my EA Origin account hacked (don't own any games on Origin, but it was linked to my EA account) and had it back within hours.

Xbox live account? Five months and counting. I've been told on several occasions by Microsoft that the account has been locked and the hacker won't be able to play, but then every time I do a gamertag search, the login date is always recent and there are freshly gained achievements. Then, when I mention it to the customer service rep the next time I call, they say that it's the American (US) side of the account that they locked, and not the Brazilian side. Well gee golly Microsoft, what's the point of even telling me that it's locked when the only person you are actually locking out is the rightful owner of the account?

All I can say is, document everything they tell you on the phone. Write down the dates and times, write down the name of the CS Rep you spoke to, and write down a summary of what they said. This allows you to call their BS a lot quicker the next time you talk to them, and possibly be able to squeeze a little more actual useful information from them, what little they can give you.

Sorry, just had to vent a little. :)

bread's done
Back