Xbox Live DOTW: The Maw plus DOTD: Battlefield 1943

[quote name='BingoBrown']80 points = 1 dollar. 1,000 sales = $1,000.

Stop skipping math class.[/QUOTE]

Right, right, right. Duh.

As I'm a professional in a field involving math, this should scare the hell out of everyone on here. :)

[quote name='BingoBrown']Wait, really? Are you sure you aren't getting it confused with Batman Forever? Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are easily the finest Batman films, but Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were decent options for their day. Much better than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.[/QUOTE]

No, Batman Forever was bad too, but I really hate Batman Returns. Batman (the original) was pretty decent.

To be fair, I actually hate Tim Burton movies quite a bit though - and Batman Returns was easily the Tim Burtoniest Batman movie (well, considering he only did the two anyways). I mean, you have crazy psycho clowns, lots and lots of black and white stripes, gross goo coming out of Penguin's mouth half the time, etc. Basically, like almost all his movies, he can't break away from freaking Beetlejuice. He has to put those elements in every single movie. That's what annoys me.

[quote name='Warlock82']No, Batman Forever was bad too, but I really hate Batman Returns. Batman (the original) was pretty decent.

To be fair, I actually hate Tim Burton movies quite a bit though - and Batman Returns was easily the Tim Burtoniest Batman movie (well, considering he only did the two anyways). I mean, you have crazy psycho clowns, lots and lots of black and white stripes, gross goo coming out of Penguin's mouth half the time, etc. Basically, like almost all his movies, he can't break away from freaking Beetlejuice. He has to put those elements in every single movie. That's what annoys me.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with this I'm not a huge Burton fan myself.

Sigh, thought we were gonna get Braid and/or Castle Crashers before this special ended. I bet tomorrow the rental is for Batman and Robin (the worst of the live-action franchise by far).

[quote name='nazman11']you never go full retard![/QUOTE]
:lol:

Wow i liked Batman Returns a lot more then most of you i guess... not a good movie but i still had a good time when it came out and i was 4... huh maybe that being 4 part had a lot to do with it. Go figure.

Really disappointed with the lack of Braid, i couldn't get it during the earlier sale this year because my Xbox was busted. I want to say screw it and just pick it up for the 1200 points but then someone else would win. I don't know who would win but i know someone would.

There is no reason that Microsoft doesn't keep these daily sales going forever. Eventually we would appreciate the "cheap movie rental" Wednesday and "Guitar Hero Track" Thursday. I can't imagine why they should ever stop this promotion.

you expect microsoft to keep the daily sales going forever? LOL Then at oine point there would be nothing left to be put on 'sale' and we would continue to hear people complaining every other day about how they think the sale sucks. Can't please everyone and you people got your hopes up high and now that it isn't what you expected you are being let down and not happy. Which is why in the first place you don't look forward to something because look at the outcome. Yes, the movie is okay but definately not worth putting up as a deal during the winter holidays. I would have preferred a FREE avatar item but noo.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Wait, really? Are you sure you aren't getting it confused with Batman Forever? Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are easily the finest Batman films, but Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were decent options for their day. Much better than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. I didn't realize Batman Returns was this unpopular. I liked it, and I'd put it above the original - I prefer Pfeiffer's Catwoman and DeVito's Penguin to Jack Nicholson playing himself in Joker makeup.

Batman Forever wasn't great, but I liked Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey. Batman and Robin...had a soundtrack that was almost as good as the one from Batman Forever? :lol:

[quote name='hufferstl']There is no reason that Microsoft doesn't keep these daily sales going forever. Eventually we would appreciate the "cheap movie rental" Wednesday and "Guitar Hero Track" Thursday. I can't imagine why they should ever stop this promotion.[/QUOTE]

For the same reason that prices almost never drop on the marketplace: it'd cost them money. Never mind that they'd more than make up the amount discounted in volume.

I'm pretty sure you can buy Batman Returns on DVD for $1 if you wanted to. Crappy deal.

What's the deal with North America getting the shaft on these?

Wow, lots of hate for this movie... this movie wasn't that bad at all; it's just that this deal is ass. I was hoping for Castle crashers but... (shrug).

[quote name='hufferstl']There is no reason that Microsoft doesn't keep these daily sales going forever. Eventually we would appreciate the "cheap movie rental" Wednesday and "Guitar Hero Track" Thursday. I can't imagine why they should ever stop this promotion.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea, especially seeing as some of the marketplace is about 4 years old, these could be dropped quite considerably and rejuvenate sales. You see it on the Most Popular sections of the dash when there has been a deal on. Microsoft are potentially missing out on the sales of some games because of their silly pricing. 0 games being sold at 400pts a pop is $0, selling them at 80 pts is a lot more appealing and I would have thought, a better proposition for them

[quote name='gbraide']That's not a bad idea, especially seeing as some of the marketplace is about 4 years old, these could be dropped quite considerably and rejuvenate sales. You see it on the Most Popular sections of the dash when there has been a deal on. Microsoft are potentially missing out on the sales of some games because of their silly pricing. 0 games being sold at 400pts a pop is $0, selling them at 80 pts is a lot more appealing and I would have thought, a better proposition for them[/QUOTE]

I agree, they have so much content that must just be sitting there with little to no sales.

I really can't believe that Microsoft can look over at what Steam is doing, with nearly an entire store on sale and six daily deals for great games 50-75% off and many less than $5, and then offer a rental on a 15 year old movie for $1. That really should be the standard price, most rental stores offer old rentals like these for $1 standard. To me it's very short term thinking, I don't think the consoles are taking the downloadable space seriously yet.

consider that time warner owns the rights to the batman movie, they're huge...it's possible they made a deal with MS to have this as a holiday deal which is probably a big influence on to what things go on sale. this is also like an experiment for XBL to get a feel for what ppl will respond to...and you know a lot of ppl probably rented batman today just because it's the deal of the day like many other games ppl bought earlier in the week on impluse.

[quote name='h0mi']Wow, lots of hate for this movie... this movie wasn't that bad at all; it's just that this deal is ass. I was hoping for Castle crashers but... (shrug).[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow.

And you're right. The movie is ok, but this deal is awful.

The first Batman ('89) is still better though.

[quote name='drawingboard']this movie that came out when I was in diapers :roll:[/QUOTE]

Wow. I feel old... and sad. :cry:

I remember wearing out my VHS tape of the original 1989 Batman movie. For those kids that don't know what VHS was, it was like a DVD, only it sucked. You actually had to rewind the tape. REWIND! Companies sold rewind machines, so you didn't have to use your VHS player to do it. Blockbuster would remind you to "Be Kind, Rewind" or they'd charge you a dollar if you didn't. These were the dark days, kids. A time long before blue rays and high definition.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Wow. I feel old... and sad. :cry:

I remember wearing out my VHS tape of the original 1989 Batman movie. For those kids that don't know what VHS was, it was like a DVD, only it sucked. You actually had to rewind the tape. REWIND! Companies sold rewind machines, so you didn't have to use your VHS player to do it. Blockbuster would remind you to "Be Kind, Rewind" or they'd charge you a dollar if you didn't. These were the dark days, kids. A time long before blue rays and high definition.[/QUOTE]

You forgot - no scene selection, no bonus features! You had to fast forward to the scene you wanted, and if, god forbid, you wanted to see how a movie was made, you had to wait for some behind the scenes thing to MAYBE show up on cable TV :p

I remember wearing out my VHS tape of the original 1989 Batman movie. For those kids that don't know what VHS was, it was like a DVD, only it sucked. You actually had to rewind the tape. REWIND! Companies sold rewind machines, so you didn't have to use your VHS player to do it. Blockbuster would remind you to "Be Kind, Rewind" or they'd charge you a dollar if you didn't. These were the dark days, kids. A time long before blue rays and high definition.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget most movies were in pan and scan as well. So you lost part of the movie there. There was hardly any widescreen back then.

[quote name='reddjoey']I'm not trying to promote anything, but Major Nelson will be on Kotaku's call in show tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

I hope someone rips him a new one.

[quote name='drawingboard']I wonder how much sales M$ just lost? I'm pretty sure Braid would have brought in a lot more $ than this movie that came out when I was in diapers :roll:[/QUOTE]

Ditto, it would have probably easily sold more than it did when it was the deal of the week a few months back since all the extra advertising the 18 days of deals have got.

You also forgot to mention the possibility that someone recorded over a VHS with something sinister.

Also, there were no "seasons" available to buy at retail. You could record a show, and set a timer to record it (in later years), but if the power went out and blanked the VCR you were boned. So, if you missed it you had to pray it would rerun and you still had to check TV Guide or the newspaper to find it and those cost money.

[quote name='drawingboard']I wonder how much sales M$ just lost? I'm pretty sure Braid would have brought in a lot more $ than this movie that came out when I was in diapers :roll:[/QUOTE]

I saw it in theaters with my dad. Screw you, buddy. :p

"Batman Returns Rental" sounds like a smartass indie game where you, as Batman, fight through the bad guys to get to Blockbuster :)

Okay, I think I had too much coffee this afternoon.

[quote name='derspiess']"Batman Returns Rental" sounds like a smartass indie game where you, as Batman, fight through the bad guys to get to Blockbuster :)

Okay, I think I had too much coffee this afternoon.[/QUOTE]

And if they'd put that game on sale I might have thought about it. But I have no interest in Microsoft's video marketplace and would rather pay them a dollar to take it off my dashboard (along with the music marketplace) than to download anything from it.

What a terrible sale. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, I've been almost uniformly disappointed in the 360 since buying it in August. Hardly any games to play on it and constantly being hit by advertising to buy over-priced shit on XBL when all I want to do is look at my friends list.

[quote name='derspiess']"Batman Returns Rental" sounds like a smartass indie game where you, as Batman, fight through the bad guys to get to Blockbuster :)[/QUOTE]

And you have to get to Blockbuster before it closes to avoid getting a late fee on multi-billionaire Bruce Wayne's account. ;)

[quote name='WTFer']I hope someone rips him a new one.

Ditto, it would have probably easily sold more than it did when it was the deal of the week a few months back since all the extra advertising the 18 days of deals have got.[/QUOTE]
I hope we could get an official comment on it. Mixing XBLA downloads and Zune rentals is a daft move, especially when other regions get awesome discount downloads like Rez, MTG and Braid instead of Zune rentals. I'm sure they have their reasons for it, but it leaves us with the impression that our regional deals aren't as good as they could have been: that's the problem.

Whatever. They're the ones losing the sales.

[quote name='WTFer']I hope someone rips him a new one.[/QUOTE]

I agree that it should be brought up, but I don't think that the decisions are his personally. It might be more effective to be tactful about it and try to start a dialogue than to, um, rip anything.

[quote name='Warlock82']You forgot - no scene selection, no bonus features! You had to fast forward to the scene you wanted, and if, god forbid, you wanted to see how a movie was made, you had to wait for some behind the scenes thing to MAYBE show up on cable TV :p[/QUOTE]

Premium cable, too. A lot of the specials were stuck on HBO and Showtime, if memory serves. And that was back in the days when they didn't have any original programming - no Sopranos or Entourage for you!

And let's not forget about tapes wearing out, either, or the VCR eating the tape and potentially killing both the movie and the player in one fell swoop.

[quote name='BingoBrown']And you have to get to Blockbuster before it closes to avoid getting a late fee on multi-billionaire Bruce Wayne's account. ;)[/QUOTE]

This is beginning to sound like an awesome flash game. :whistle2:k

[quote name='arcane93']I agree that it should be brought up, but I don't think that the decisions are his personally. It might be more effective to be tactful about it and try to start a dialogue than to, um, rip anything.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If someone wants to call in and could ask politely about it, that would rock. It'd be nice to know why other regions get games (and recent ones too, in the case of MTG) and we get stuck with content rentals that nobody really cares about.

[quote name='arcane93']I agree that it should be brought up, but I don't think that the decisions are his personally. It might be more effective to be tactful about it and try to start a dialogue than to, um, rip anything.[/QUOTE]

These decisions are not his to make. Major is nothing but a talking head for Microsoft. It's his job to promote Xbox Live. He's the mouthpiece of the service. Nothing more.

[quote name='mtxbass1']These decisions are not his to make. Major is nothing but a talking head for Microsoft. It's his job to promote Xbox Live. He's the mouthpiece of the service. Nothing more.[/QUOTE]

Someone needs to call in and ask him who we should be upset with.

[quote name='WTFer']I hope someone rips him a new one.[/QUOTE]

I wish someone would just point out that sales on several-years-old DLC would bring in good money. Case in point:

http://www.garry.tv/?p=1136

But the reason for this rental is to highlight the Zune Video Store (or whatever it is). So in reality, they don't care about getting an additional 1/5/10,000 sales of DLC as long as they are able to market their new service.

In reality, it would be best if they would run sales like this all the time. More than the deal of the week. Because how many Mirror's Edge DLC packs (for example) have they sold this week? 1? 10? How many could they sell with a DOTD? Certainly more than they've sold all year. I think there's enough games and enough DLC that they could run a lot of sales that would benefit both consumers and themselves.

No one is ever going to be happy or content, just shut it already people. U.S. always gets good deals while asia and other countries get crap and can't participate in alot of offers/deals. For once, they are getting something better than us so let them enjoy it while they can. No one is forcing you to buy anything or pay for xbl. You pay for xbl as a premium service to play online games and chat. Buying dlc, music videos, movies and everything else is an option and if you don't like it just downgrade to a Silver account and quit complaining. I know it's cag, but c'mon give me a break! You all are acting like microsoft owes you something for nothing. If you don't like the deal, just move on and keep doing your thing. By the way, hope tomorrow isn't a good deal like castle crashers or braid or anything major as I already have those games and alot of other people do. Looking for battlefield 1943 though..hmm that EA promotion doesn't seem too shabby.

[quote name='Warlock82']You forgot - no scene selection, no bonus features! You had to fast forward to the scene you wanted, and if, god forbid, you wanted to see how a movie was made, you had to wait for some behind the scenes thing to MAYBE show up on cable TV :p[/QUOTE]

Yes it was so different back then lol. I think when Star Wars Trilogy was re-released was the first time a documentary or behind the scenes was included on a VHS tape.

I would suggest not getting 1943 now since it seems EA shut down some servers for it on 360 now it is really laggy and just plain sucks.

Damn that sucks, thanks for the heads up tom. I purchased it on another account which I gave away to a relative and that was all their really was left for me to purchase along with command & conquer and nhl 3 on 3 arcade but now I don't think i'll buy anything. It seemed to me ea was going to do this sooner or later as I heard they did that with nhl 3 on 3 arcade and some other games. This just sucks now and more people are going to get more pist off. No wonder it is going to be 600 points and they are having this huge sale. They are like the wall street pricks that are dumping stock while they can and make money off of it before it crashes and has no value.

bread's done
Back