Xbox Live Fall 2011 Dashboard Out Now - 12/06/11.

[quote name='sp00ge']It wouldn't surprise me if MS cracked down on this and started banning accounts when they catch on.[/QUOTE]

I think it's pretty much impossible for them to tell what DNS servers you're using. It might also be illegal for them to try something like that.

I'm loving the idiotic replies Defending the use of Ads plastered all over the xbox interface over at the kotaku link.

Essentially since you pay for the hardware, you pay for the gold service, you should be welcoming and loving the privelege of the ads forced at you as well....

What's next? You bought your $300 xbox, you paid however much for use of the premium gold service (which I did, essentially only to be able to use Netflix, So Stupid of me since now I only use it on the PS3), you buy a $60 game and every time you go to play it ads are forced into the loading screens for pepsi, Home Loans, diapers and Volkswagens?

The only ads I feel we should be seeing are xbox game related, and those ads based on your game preferences. (I've never owned or played any sports or kinect games, yet those seem to be pushed at me constantly) I don't want to turn on the xbox and see ads for Axe, Mountain Dew, Ford, and World of Warcraft. Those should only be pushed to silver members, and even then that ad funding should be going to give the silver members some benefits.

Yeah, I don't mind ads for demos or game related content, but paying for gold I shouldn't have car ads, or bs like that.

Without the ads, do you think the price of the service would be lower or higher? We live in a real world, where companies will pay big money for a captive audience. I don't like ads any more than the next guy, but they really don't take up more than 3 seconds of my time scrolling over them. They keep our costs to use the service down, trust me.

[quote name='hufferstl']Without the ads, do you think the price of the service would be lower or higher?[/QUOTE]There's no way to tell unless Microsoft told us. It might be buried in an annual report somewhere. I'm not going to bother to look because I don't care about the issue that much.

I do know that in the world of mass transit, advertising does help to keep fares down a little bit. I only know that because it's a dumb interest of mine.

The ads on Xbox Live are slightly annoying, but they are not a deal breaker. They are easy to ignore. The same with Hulu. The ads on Hulu mean I mute the television and read a news article on my phone for a minute. No problem.

[quote name='praxus07']
What's next? You bought your $300 xbox[/quote]
They sell it to you at a loss, at least initially. I don't know what it costs to make so late in its life cycle, but I'm not entirely sure they make a large profit on the hardware.

you paid however much for use of the premium gold service (which I did, essentially only to be able to use Netflix, So Stupid of me since now I only use it on the PS3),
For the cost of the PS3, you could subscribe to Xbox Live for about 5 years. Not saying your purchase of a PS3 was a bad idea if you enjoy the exclusive features of that system, including the exclusive games, but it puts things into perspective somewhat.

you buy a $60 game and every time you go to play it ads are forced into the loading screens for pepsi, Home Loans, diapers and Volkswagens?
Game development costs have gone up and are going up. I don't think the $60 price point is unreasonable and it isn't unreasonable that the ads keep the price point where it's currently at.

And you're on Cheap Ass Gamer anyway. What are you doing paying $60 for games?

the ads really stop me from playing the games i love. Especially when I'm spending hours upon hours looking at them instead of playing my actual games. It's absolutely ridiculous. Truly Nazis. *rollseyes*

[quote name='hufferstl']Without the ads, do you think the price of the service would be lower or higher? We live in a real world, where companies will pay big money for a captive audience. I don't like ads any more than the next guy, but they really don't take up more than 3 seconds of my time scrolling over them. They keep our costs to use the service down, trust me.[/QUOTE]
It's bad enough that we're willing to pay up to $60 a for what is essentially peer-to-peer gaming. Somehow Sony, Nintendo, and many PC devs manage to pull off that off without charging people for it. Are insurance ads really necessary?

The info on how to block the ads was welcome news. Hopefully those who don't take issue with the ads on the dashboard continue to enjoy them.

[quote name='Thrinn']Somehow Sony, Nintendo, and many PC devs manage to pull off that off without charging people for it.
[/QUOTE]Yet Thinn is willing to pay $60 for what Yars gets for free. Looking at your profile, the online games you play like Call of Duty are also available on PS3, yet you're playing them on Xbox 360. There must be some value that Xbox Live provides that convinces you to buy Gold.

Have you tried playing games online on the PS3 or Wii? I have. It's shit. I have them for the exclusives only. And on the PC side of things, tell me a $300 computer can play games as well as my xbox without having to build it myself.

The update isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Use what you want. Don't use what you don't want to. The ads were there before and took up more space.

Is anyone having problems using download profile? I'm trying to do it on my other Xbox and the progress meter gets about 25% and stalls. I've tried backing out and restarting the process and the same thing everytime. It has been 15-20 minutes and no more progress.

[quote name='Spokker']They sell it to you at a loss, at least initially. I don't know what it costs to make so late in its life cycle, but I'm not entirely sure they make a large profit on the hardware.

For the cost of the PS3, you could subscribe to Xbox Live for about 5 years. Not saying your purchase of a PS3 was a bad idea if you enjoy the exclusive features of that system, including the exclusive games, but it puts things into perspective somewhat.

Game development costs have gone up and are going up. I don't think the $60 price point is unreasonable and it isn't unreasonable that the ads keep the price point where it's currently at.

And you're on Cheap Ass Gamer anyway. What are you doing paying $60 for games?[/QUOTE]

On the other hand, for the cost of xbox live for 5 years I could have bought four or five ps3 games and played online for free without the ads. Sony offers free online play with no intrusive ads yet MS is forcing them at us from every angle and charging us for the honor? I see no benefits to the gamer for all these xbox ads. And if I had any kind of computer saavy or tech ability I'd def do the kotaku guide and get the ads off my paid service. But I'll probably end up messing something up and totally screw my online capability.

I was a big MS supporter, till I got my PS3. Now I'm buying more and more PS3 games, and spending more time on my PS3 than I did on my xbox, even before this terrible dash update. As it is there are now no xbox games on my christmas wish list this year. I did want Halo Anniversary, but after this dash update I'll pass and get something on the PS3.

Why are development costs going up? They're developing games for the same system that they were developing for 5 years ago. Nothing new there. And with DLC (especially DLC that's already on the game disk) they're milking even more money than they did years ago. That alone should keep game costs down.

As far as $60 games, I may be on here, but I don't shop at 99% of the places you guys do. I don't normally buy online, and I only really shop at GS. When I can walk into a local brick and mortar Amazon store, trade in games right there and get another game immediately, then I'll use it.

[quote name='Ziv']Have you tried playing games online on the PS3 or Wii? I have. It's shit. I have them for the exclusives only. And on the PC side of things, tell me a $300 computer can play games as well as my xbox without having to build it myself.

The update isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Use what you want. Don't use what you don't want to. The ads were there before and took up more space.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Playing online the PS3 is fine. I really don't see the Xbox being $60 better for online games. I've been trying to use my new Xbox 360 for Netflix and it so horrible compared to the Ps3 for functionality. It looks nicer but that's it. The ads all over the dash board is bad nd never really see those on the PS3 besides the what's new category nd PS Store

See...Challenged here. Already stuck with the OpenDNS thing. Cannot find on my opendns dash the "Go to Web Content Filtering settings" link anywhere.....It's just not there, at all.

[quote name='JG5253']I disagree. Playing online the PS3 is fine. I really don't see the Xbox being $60 better for online games. I've been trying to use my new Xbox 360 for Netflix and it so horrible compared to the Ps3 for functionality. It looks nicer but that's it. The ads all over the dash board is bad nd never really see those on the PS3 besides the what's new category nd PS Store[/QUOTE]
You bought an xbox at a bad time.

The Xbox is not worth $60 a year just for online games. There is still no one to play with on most games, or at least the ones I've tried, unless you play certain games. I have no interest in playing FPS games, and since no one uses the service for anything else apparently, I have no use for it. I am not sitting around for 30 min in order to find a match with someone.

People complain about friend codes on the Wii, but its the same thing, and even on the Wii there are still no people playing online, unless you play certain games. I don't think there is anything to complain about with the Wii's online.

You can't even derive a gamertag from an email address with Microsoft, so just as you ask someone for their Wii friend code, you have to ask them for their gamertag and hope they will respond to your email or remember it. It would be much better if I could derive a gamertag from an email address so I could get some of my friends on Xbox Live, instead I have to ask them and hope they respond to my email.

On the Wii you can also stream netflix for free, a used Wii can be had for about $99 here, this would easily cover the cost of 2 years of Xbox Live, plus you would have access to games on the Wii as well. It is stupid to pay for gold just to watch Netflix. You could also have bought a PS3 bundle for $199 over the holidays and used that to watch Netflix.

Overall though I have to say I love my Xbox 360 and these are minor complaints, I am not waiting around for games and empty promises like with Nintendo, the games actually come out instead of being promised for years then never come out. Mass effect alone for me was a much more epic experience than any gaming experience I have ever had with Nintendo. The game is so big and well written that it easily trumps anything Nintendo makes. The games are also less expensive on the Xbox 360 since almost every game drops in price, instead of waiting around for years and years for a game to drop in price with Nintendo. There is more than one good game released every 6 months too. I really can't complain about Xbox Live gold, as I don't pay for it.

[quote name='SaraAB']The Xbox is not worth $60 a year just for online games. There is still no one to play with on most games, or at least the ones I've tried, unless you play certain games. I have no interest in playing FPS games, and since no one uses the service for anything else apparently, I have no use for it. I am not sitting around for 30 min in order to find a match with someone.

People complain about friend codes on the Wii, but its the same thing, and even on the Wii there are still no people playing online, unless you play certain games. I don't think there is anything to complain about with the Wii's online.

On the Wii you can also stream netflix for free, a used Wii can be had for about $99 here, this would easily cover the cost of 2 years of Xbox Live, plus you would have access to games on the Wii as well. It is stupid to pay for gold just to watch Netflix. You could also have bought a PS3 bundle for $199 over the holidays and used that to watch Netflix.

[/QUOTE]

What Wii online? The web-browser? Coordinating online games on Wii requires an outside venue of communication to make it possible. I read (I think in GI) about the comparisons of the online features of the three systems and the Wii was by far the worst, which, by my experience, I totally agree with. And if your Wii fails, you need to provide your friends with your new friend code, since the friend code is tied to the console.

As far as Netflix, while it may not matter to some, I will never use the Wii for it because of the 480p limitation.

[quote name='seanr1221']New dash is fine and I like the new Netflix.

People on the internet hate everything.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

I just finished uploading my saves to the cloud. How do games like Trials, Peggle, Worms, etc work when their is no saved game file? The only file is the game and you can't save that to the cloud.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I just finished uploading my saves to the cloud. How do games like Trials, Peggle, Worms, etc work when their is no saved game file? The only file is the game and you can't save that to the cloud.[/QUOTE]

they are actually saved to your Gamertag.

[quote name='GUNNM']You bought an xbox at a bad time.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'm going to renew the gold member unless I could get it for under $40. The games are why I bought it and most them I just want for the single player

I'll be honest. Unless WoW is coming to 360 I don't see the point of it being an ad on the Dashboard. It seems counter-productive to the 360 as an entertainment device.

Unless football players start drinking Pepsi during the game they shouldn't advertise it.

In this situation I turn to my bros, ICP, and ask...Advertising, how does it work?!

[quote name='GUNNM']So if you don't have UMK3 downloaded you're SOL?[/QUOTE]

Guess so. It pays to read the terms, which I almost always do, instead of auto-clicking things.

You can go back on your history to see if you can still re-download it. I think this is complete bullshit quite frankly and why I never accepted the cloud argument. I can always see bullshit like this happening.
About the class-action lawsuit bit, I noticed that too and wasn't surprised. Really sleazy but it's par for the course with almost all of these companies to go with arbitration and I'm surprised MS didn't put it in their terms of use earlier.

I like the new dashboard a lot as far as the big picture is concerned, but there are tons of little problems that I'm disappointed will take at least six months to be ironed out if they care to fix them. It's a big improvement over NXE, but they still have problems making their dashboards work well logically.

It looks like the beta will continue for a while as MS still has apps that they want beta people to test out before they go live to everybody else.

Is live gold free this weekend or what? When I log on with my son's silver account and try to play COD black ops multi player, its says I don't have access to online features. Whats up?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I like the new dashboard a lot as far as the big picture is concerned, but there are tons of little problems that I'm disappointed will take at least six months to be ironed out if they care to fix them. It's a big improvement over NXE, but they still have problems making their dashboards work well logically.
[/QUOTE]

They've done what they can with the limited onboard storage of the 360. It's going to take a next-gen console to really push the dash to the next level, IMO.

Not sure if anyone else had a similar experience but during the update my 360 started bugging out and disconnecting, or would freeze and ask to redo the update. After a few attempts things finally went through and I would still keep getting disconnected. It was just my 360 btw, then while browsing the dashboard or loading things the system would freeze and then the next day my first red error e74. Getting M$ to repair it, not out of my pocket.

Sounds like the error is a coincidence to me. You'll often see a lot of reports of system failures when an update or big release is out. We have people who haven't used their system heavily in a while and start using it again for the game or to check out the update. The error occurs and they blame it on the update or game in order to justify a free repair if they are out of warranty. It's likely that it was only a matter of time until it busted and has nothing to do with a specific game or update.

I've sent back 360s four times but I haven't done so in a while. The new systems may be more stable, but who knows.

The process of heading to Quickplay, then to All, then to Netflix from there does indeed bring you back to the old version of Netflix. I just wonder how long it'll be until they iron that out and then we'll never be able to use Parties or this interface again. fuck.

[quote name='Corvin']They've done what they can with the limited onboard storage of the 360. It's going to take a next-gen console to really push the dash to the next level, IMO.[/QUOTE]
The things I'm thinking of should be fairly easy things to fix, like condensing the Games Marketplace a bit since there are a ton of things on screen that don't really need to be there or could be merged into other parts of that marketplace. The Games Library needs more sorting options and loading optimization, though I could see the latter being a limitation of the RAM available to the dashboard. Cloud Storage could use some actual documentation to explain what you can actually do with it, as it's not clear at all what it offers to the end user as far as how uploading/downloading/syncing saves are concerned.

YouTube and iheartradio are now on for preview users but YouTube doesn't work. When it is done downloading go to storage and it says corrupted data.

They took party watch off the new version of the Netflix app? fuck them. I was going to restart my Netflix account soon but no way in hell now.

[quote name='Sarang01']Guess so. It pays to read the terms, which I almost always do, instead of auto-clicking things.

You can go back on your history to see if you can still re-download it. I think this is complete bullshit quite frankly and why I never accepted the cloud argument. I can always see bullshit like this happening.
About the class-action lawsuit bit, I noticed that too and wasn't surprised. Really sleazy but it's par for the course with almost all of these companies to go with arbitration and I'm surprised MS didn't put it in their terms of use earlier.[/QUOTE]

That sort of thing doesn't stand up in court you know. Judges would laugh that clause out of court if someone calls them out on it.

So the UFC PPV that was playing fine cut out during the second fight and now I'm only getting the weigh-ins. If I had paid the expensive bill to watch this, I'd be pissed as hell right now.

[quote name='KingBroly']That sort of thing doesn't stand up in court you know. Judges would laugh that clause out of court if someone calls them out on it.[/QUOTE]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/business/28bizcourt.html

Businesses may use standard-form contracts to forbid consumers claiming fraud from banding together in a single arbitration, the Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday in a 5-to-4 decision that split along ideological lines.

Though the decision concerned arbitrations, it appeared to provide businesses with a way to avoid class-action lawsuits in court. All they need do, the decision suggested, is use standard-form contracts that require two things: that disputes be raised only through the informal mechanism of arbitration and that claims be brought one by one.

“The decision basically lets companies escape class actions, so long as they do so by means of arbitration agreements,” Brian T. Fitzpatrick, a law professor at Vanderbilt University, said. “This is a game-changer for businesses. It’s one of the most important and favorable cases for businesses in a very long time.”
Sony did the same thing in September, though you can apparently opt-out by sending in a letter.

http://consumerist.com/2011/09/sony-changes-ps3-terms-of-service-to-avoid-class-action-lawsuits.html

[quote name='advanced']UFC's working perfect for me. Good show so far, lots of exciting and/or technical fights.[/QUOTE]
working great for me too so far. can't beat it for free! the mir-nogueria fight is about to start.

The first fight was terrible. 7 seconds. What the hell is that?

EDIT:
Oh shit! Mir just broke that dude's arm!

[quote name='KingBroly']The first fight was terrible. 7 seconds. What the hell is that?

EDIT:
Oh shit! Mir just broke that dude's arm![/QUOTE]

That was the sickest thing I've ever seen live. Whoa. Hopefully Nog can make a quick and speedy recovery.

i did the new xbox update and now i couldnt connect to LIVE. i got this:
www.xbox.com/servicealerts

EDIT: i found out that i need to accept the new agreement. but the problem is where can i accept it. i dont see it popping up in my screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GUNNM']quick? with a broken arm
he won't be able to wipe his ass for 3 months[/QUOTE]

1) You're being too literal. 2) He has two arms, so your second point is moot.

The point I was making was I hope he heals as fast as possible with no set backs.

bread's done
Back