Xbox Live Fall 2011 Dashboard Out Now - 12/06/11.

hey just saying the one post was right at least for me sign out and sign back in to agree to the new terms for the new dash

and i was in the beta, by the way my apps keep corrupting like 7 - 9 times so far, epic wont work at all , sent them emails and there like you have to have xbox gold- no shit sherlock

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']word has it no[/QUOTE]

Laaame. Looks like I'll have to pay the 7.99 a month. =P
What if they give me the user name and password? Then I could just login and give them the code right?

Anyone else having a problem with Hulu? It keeps telling me it's only available in the US, and well, I definitely live there. I've already contacted Hulu support, as the error message suggests. Ugh. First, my desktop died on me, and now I can't watch Hulu.

[quote name='media_wonder']SO im the only one who likes the new dashboard? lol[/QUOTE]

I only had 1 week to play around with the old interface, but I like this new one better, it is easier to navigate and **Gasp** actually looks like the XMB on PS3. :whistle2:#...:lol: (probably why I like it, I guess)

[quote name='sp00ge']Anyone else having a problem with Hulu? It keeps telling me it's only available in the US, and well, I definitely live there. I've already contacted Hulu support, as the error message suggests. Ugh. First, my desktop died on me, and now I can't watch Hulu.[/QUOTE]

your data is corrupted , delete and go to hulu with the app reloaded to input your code, new process, that will cost you a male scorpion suit jk

drinking tonight anymore help let me know sorry

New dash looks good and works great. Only problem is that when I play a game I get disconnected from xbox live. It is almost like the game needs an update (which is not the case) because I get disconnected...so I sit there waiting for the next box to pop up saying that the update is downloading...but nothing happens and the game loads as normal with me still disconnected from XBL. LAME!

I cant play any BF3, nor any of the arcade games I just downloaded, online!!! Argh! At least I was able to get all of my 360 consoles updated this time. Last update, I was able to get all of them but one updated...and I still cant update the one unit (so I have a wonderful offline unit - aka paperweight - sitting on my floor taking up space).

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']New dash looks good and works great. Only problem is that when I play a game I get disconnected from xbox live. It is almost like the game needs an update (which is not the case) because I get disconnected...so I sit there waiting for the next box to pop up saying that the update is downloading...but nothing happens and the game loads as normal with me still disconnected from XBL. LAME!

I cant play any BF3, nor any of the arcade games I just downloaded, online!!! Argh! At least I was able to get all of my 360 consoles updated this time. Last update, I was able to get all of them but one updated...and I still cant update the one unit (so I have a wonderful offline unit - aka paperweight - sitting on my floor taking up space).[/QUOTE]

off topic i want to make a cockavatar whats the best way to make one?

I don't mind it as I'll get used to it eventually. The only thing I want back is to be able to launch games from the achievements menus.

Did anyone with the beta get updated?
I signed in, accepted the new terms, but didn't get an update. I still have the pre-release section available.

[quote name='joseraul']Did anyone with the beta get updated?
I signed in, accepted the new terms, but didn't get an update. I still have the pre-release section available.[/QUOTE]

I did not. Curious...

The update they gave us on December 1 was probably this retail version of the Dashboard. In all the other Dashboard betas, we never got updates on the release of the Dashboard since we were running the same thing by the time the retail one was released. The Pre-Release channel will probably disappear in the next week or two unless they have us test some of the new apps early.

New dashboard seems to focus on showing me ads, and pushing my own games off into smaller windows.

it would not let my log into xbox live with the gamertag for free live but yet i updated it..

i can't see any updates unless im in live?

The presentation of ads seems to be the driving motivation behind this update. At least Microsoft the curtsey to not have the ad's audio constantly blasting unless you made the mistake of hovering over it. Had it not been for those ads and the wasted empty space around the outset of the screen they could have easily fit the eight different pages (games, audio, video, etc.) on a single screen. I'm already to the point where I'm subconsciously ignoring the right 2/3s or 3/4s of each screen since they've shoved all your content off to the left. I'll probably end up relying on the streamlined pop-up menu more to navigate from now on.

At least they brought back the option to easily access the marketplace content for the particular game you currently have in your system without having to go through numerous menus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updating now...accepting new terms, aaaand holy shit ads. I never caught up on any updates of what this new one would look like. They really want me to watch Hangover II and play Batman.

The Quickplay option right there is cool, but the big ad in the middle is obnoxious.

i sat and browsed the terms and agreements, you'd be surprised as to what you're agreeing to when you press "accept" I almost didn't accept the new terms. there's a part in there that says even services that may be free at the time, you can still incur charges and will be billed etc. which i'm guessing is if you started a free trial offer, if you fail to cancel they can bill you with your mandatory updated payment account information.

so really, nothng changed for me...still won't put in a CC esp after reading the new details on the agreement, will probably still turn on the xbox disconnected, then once in game connect to XBL (unless it's multiplayer). Not crazy about all the Ad space but they're pushing advertisement to make money which inturn hopefully makes our gaming experience more stable and better.

Last night I had issue connecting with the Xbox Live servers and Major Nelson said they were aware of this issue. Did not try to update this morning. Anyone know if the issues are resolved?

Not sure I like this.

My "Play Game" box is so small in comparison to that giant ad box in the middle. Being that this is a video game machine, I wonder why "Games" tab is so far away from home. It should be before social and especially video.

Comparing Friends is a pain since only 2 show up per "push of the screen." Marketplace is really sluggish as looking at the sale items, it took a while for screens to load.

No doubt I understand the direction i.e. Kinect but still these are my complaints...

[quote name='Conboy']Last night I had issue connecting with the Xbox Live servers and Major Nelson said they were aware of this issue. Did not try to update this morning. Anyone know if the issues are resolved?[/QUOTE]

dunno im going to try again tonight.. it would not let me log into live either last night and i did it like 5 times with no luck.

[quote name='Conboy']Last night I had issue connecting with the Xbox Live servers and Major Nelson said they were aware of this issue. Did not try to update this morning. Anyone know if the issues are resolved?[/QUOTE]

It's since been fixed.

I accepted the terms without reading them because there isn't an alternative. If I don't accept, I can't play with my friends. That's the reason I have an XBox. If I wanted to play alone, I'd use my PS3.

I just picked up a 360 again after dumping my elite a while back (sold it for $175 and got the 250gb slim holiday bundle for $190 after discover cash back on BF!!), and updated last night. I was much more used to what the old dashboard looked like, but I guess if I'm going to try and assimilate myself back into the 360 community, I might as well do it when the layout changes so I'm on the same playing field as everyone else.

Seems alright so far...I think the cloud storage is set up better than it is on PSN.

[quote name='joseraul']Did anyone with the beta get updated?
I signed in, accepted the new terms, but didn't get an update. I still have the pre-release section available.[/QUOTE]

same boat here

was surprised I didn't get a dashboard update

Yeah, I was not able to connect at around 10:30PM, either. Was trying to buy stuff on xbox.com, and kept getting error messages, too.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']your data is corrupted , delete and go to hulu with the app reloaded to input your code, new process, that will cost you a male scorpion suit jk

drinking tonight anymore help let me know sorry[/QUOTE]

Tried that three times and still no luck. Still waiting on Hulu support to get back to me. It's a good thing my TV does Hulu Plus, or I'd be pretty pissed. I need my Colbert in the morning!

FYI, those with the beta dashboard already have the new dashboard - same as everyone else is getting. We retain the Preview channel because there will be more apps to test in the coming months. I.e. we are still in the beta preview, but have the same dashboard as everyone else. You do, however need to delete all your apps (netflix, ESPN3, etc) and redownload them to get a working version. You also get, then, the new Netflix and such.

The above is covered in the private forums.

I am liking the new dashboard. Bing search plus Kinect is awesome. I do not really get the complaints about ads. They are telling me what is on the service. I find that a useful thing when I am at the dashboard.

[quote name='lordopus99']Not sure I like this.

My "Play Game" box is so small in comparison to that giant ad box in the middle. Being that this is a video game machine, I wonder why "Games" tab is so far away from home. It should be before social and especially video.

Comparing Friends is a pain since only 2 show up per "push of the screen." Marketplace is really sluggish as looking at the sale items, it took a while for screens to load.

No doubt I understand the direction i.e. Kinect but still these are my complaints...[/QUOTE]
You may have to get used to it. Windows 8 has a similar layout for the Start menu. It's extremely irritating.

[quote name='KingBroly']Isn't that stuff on Comedy Central's website anyways?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I typically like to relax on the couch and watch the shows. That's why I'm paying for Hulu, for convenience.

The ads for games and stuff that is on the Xbox service itself does not bother me. There's an ad for Batman. Well I fucking love Batman. I'll check Batman out.

It's the shit ads for deodorant and cars that I hate. It's not necessarily that they are there, but the ads basically tell you what Microsoft thinks of you. I'm an adult working professional who happens to still enjoy these stupid games, not some 20-something jerk off that wants to buy a queer car marketed especially to my dumb ass. That's the kind of shit that gets you the Scion.

Where's the ad for next year's Hollywood Bowl schedule?

You see this sort of thing all over. If you watch Fox News prepare for prescription pill commercials. If you listen to Power 106, enjoy the bail bond ads. If you listen to any sort of talk radio, I hope you have debt you want to eradicate.

I would assume that paying for Gold would mean that you get no ads, and yet.....there they all are. I could take the ads on the old dashboard, but this is just ridiculous.

Overall, I gotta say I don't like the new dash at all. It seems like it was built completely around Kinect, which I don't give two shits about and will never own. Too bad they don't give you a choice to go back to the old dash. I guess if they did I would probably go back to the original blade dashboard, because the last two have gotten progressively worse.

[quote name='Spokker']The ads for games and stuff that is on the Xbox service itself does not bother me. There's an ad for Batman. Well I fucking love Batman. I'll check Batman out.

It's the shit ads for deodorant and cars that I hate. It's not necessarily that they are there, but the ads basically tell you what Microsoft thinks of you. I'm an adult working professional who happens to still enjoy these stupid games, not some 20-something jerk off that wants to buy a queer car marketed especially to my dumb ass. That's the kind of shit that gets you the Scion.

Where's the ad for next year's Hollywood Bowl schedule?

You see this sort of thing all over. If you watch Fox News prepare for prescription pill commercials. If you listen to Power 106, enjoy the bail bond ads. If you listen to any sort of talk radio, I hope you have debt you want to eradicate.[/QUOTE]

I'll up you 1+ better, I DON'T CARE FOR BATMAN much less ads for anything else so just get rid of ads period. I don't pay for xbl gold and have learned to just live with it, but they are there more now than ever. This dashboard was built around the success of Kinect and it's the way of the future (so i've been told). It's a bit clumsy and lacking I say and is harder to navigate things especially in the game marketplace. There's Bing to help you out, but there are times when I just wanna browse every arcade game available and now I have go through each section by letter instead of just All.

They have completely fucked Netflix browsing, unless I am a dumb ass and cant figure out how to turn off the autostart when you click on a show or movie.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I'll up you 1+ better, I DON'T CARE FOR BATMAN much less ads for anything else so just get rid of ads period. I don't pay for xbl gold and have learned to just live with it, but they are there more now than ever. This dashboard was built around the success of Kinect and it's the way of the future (so i've been told). It's a bit clumsy and lacking I say and is harder to navigate things especially in the game marketplace. There's Bing to help you out, but there are times when I just wanna browse every arcade game available and now I have go through each section by letter instead of just All.[/QUOTE]

Didn't they screw this up last year? Removing the All feature? Then later added it after the masses raged about it? I was in the beta last year and could swear it's Deja vu all over again.

When we paid $100+ a month for cable TV we saw a ton of ads.

Xbox Live might cost more if they were not receiving a revenue stream from advertisements. Perhaps Major Nelson would speak about this.

It does seem like a triumph of form over function. But, as I said, it's the hip thing and it wouldn't be the first time style beat out substance.

It looks exactly like Windows 8...yuck. I have a Kinect and don't use it, and this new update will not get me to "see the light" so-to-speak. It looks, and feels, horrendous. I think MS messed up big time with this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Pck21']It looks exactly like Windows 8...yuck. I have a Kinect and don't use it, and this new update will not get me to "see the light" so-to-speak. It looks, and feels, horrendous. I think MS messed big time with this one...[/QUOTE]
Exactly. From what I have seen of Windows 8, the few things that might induce me to upgrade are more than trumped by the shit I don't like. I could MAYBE see it on a tablet but in a standard x86-x64 desktop/laptop environment, no way in hell.

[quote name='shieryda']Sounding like I may want to decline the update...[/QUOTE]

As long as you do not mind being offline, go for it.

Personally, I do not think the new dash is bad. There are a few things I preferred with the other, but there are some things I like about this one as well. The issues and complaints are a bit exaggerated to me. I can still do everything I did with it (playing games primarily) just as easily as I was before.

you figure you'll eventually just get used to it...if you want to bypass a lot of the UI, just set your xbox to play disc on close and just always open/close tray. much easier with the slim since it's now just a wave of your hand infront of it...or cat.

My biggest concern is all of the negative Netflix reports. I have a Kinect, but am not interested in using it at all for anything other than the games that are sold for it.

I liked (became accustomed to?) the old Netflix interface, search function and suggestions, so I guess I'll just have to see for myself how it works. And learn to like it.

Basically, instead of it being "Recently watched" and all the posters on top of the red background, now all of the sections are stacked on eachother in upper rows. They basically removed the background and put all the sections behind eachother. It jarred me a little when I first saw it, it's not that bad I guess. It's annoying to have it go right to the show now instead of being able to pick which episode I want before it starts.

bread's done
Back