Xbox Live Gold Price Increase 11/1 - Subscription Deals Inside

News flash: Businesses want to make money. What a revelation! :applause:

I am another "who cares" person. It's called inflation people... settle down. It's why I paid 69 cents for a gallon of gas in high school (approx 10 years ago). It's why I paid less than a dollar for a gallon of milk around that same time. Currently, I pay 2.30 for gas per gallon and around 3 dollars for a gallon of milk. I could go on if you would like... Xbox Live has not changed their price in about the same amount of time. In addition, they have added countless number of features (whether you use them or not). Milk is still Milk and Gas is still Gas.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Then you got them charging us to play on future cod games online? Then they have this new thing where you rent or buy a used sports game you need the code to play online with big portions of the games. Hell this ruins the resell value on sports games but man are they milking us bad. I spend about $50-$100 on ms points a month the last 5-6 months so there is more money spent on live[/QUOTE]

Sorry this is not Microsoft's deal. Take that up with EA, Activision, and other publishers who might try the same thing. Other consoles have/will have the same fee. As for you spending money on marketplace, you do realize a big portion of the money you spend doesn't go to Microsoft. It goes to the companies who sells the product i.e. XBLA titles, Game Add-Ons, etc.

[quote name='lllGurulll']You sir, are officially and unequivocally wrong.[/QUOTE]

I just bought 4 years worth just now. I will not get swindled by MS with the insane price increase. They better honor these for 5 years or i will be super upset.

I suggest whoever has the cash on hand to do the same thing. I will not pay that $10 a month price. That is 120 bucks a year almost. I bet some people will be buying all the year subs out and sell on ebay once nov 1st comes. These will make people big $$$ come xmas time selling when the word gets out. I do not sell so i just bought what i needed.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']I just bought 4 years worth just now. I will not get swindled by MS with the insane price increase. They better honor these for 5 years or i will be super upset.

I suggest whoever has the cash on hand to do the same thing. I will not pay that $10 a month price. That is 120 bucks a year almost. I bet some people will be buying all the year subs out and sell on ebay once nov 1st comes. These will make people big $$$ come xmas time selling when the word gets out. I do not sell so i just bought what i needed.[/QUOTE]

Your math sucks. A year cost 50 and now will cost 60. 10 dollars extra per year. Break that down by month and that is 0.83. Thanks for playing.

[quote name='lordopus99']News flash: Businesses want to make money. What a revelation! :applause:

Sorry this is not Microsoft's deal. Take that up with EA, Activision, and other publishers who might try the same thing. Other consoles have/will have the same fee. As for you spending money on marketplace, you do realize a big portion of the money you spend doesn't go to Microsoft. It goes to the companies who sells the product i.e. XBLA titles, Game Add-Ons, etc.[/QUOTE]

Did you see anything about me saying it all was going to MS? No they get a small % of it but i never said anything about MS getting it all. I was talking about total cost of ME using xbox live. I know how things work and what and who gets what. Like i said i was talking about in general cost for ME to use live now and the future. I am not sure why you concluded i was talking about MS.

Without people complaining and taking a stand nothing will ever change. I doubt us complaining will change anything cause most people do not want to spend the time or think they can make a difference. This is why companies have the power for so long now. They know not enough people will gather to even put a dent in there plans. I just wanted to vent and thanks for this information cause now i just bought all those years of live at a cheaper price.

Thanks OP.

[quote name='lordopus99']Your math sucks. A year cost 50 and now will cost 60. 10 dollars extra per year. Break that down by month and that is 0.83. Thanks for playing.[/QUOTE]
Starting fights now i see and have no clue about math i see as well.

12 months at $10 a month is $120. You are some piece of work. I think next time you actually know what you are talking about before you start bashing someone.

Are people really upset over a $10 a year price hike?! I went from paying $20 to fill my gas tank to $35 almost overnight but Im used to it now. The price of everything else goes up on a constant basis, why wouldnt something like this as well? At least LIVE is worth the $. Have any of you compared the speed of downloads on Live to those on PSN? You have to pay for premium services. I dont see what all the whining is about.

[quote name='seanr1221']Yes, inflation is idiotic logic. Bahh. BAHHhHh!!!!!![/QUOTE]

This is when the trolls and trouble makers come out. I am done with this subject and replying since now it is all about starting trouble with others. I hope a mod steps in and cleans this mess up. This was a wonderful place to post opinions but every so often the trouble makers come out of the wood work to attack someone.

Thanks for making my opinion on forums change in a bad way. Now go get a job.

Microsoft can eat shit. They should just make the machines coin-operated. $.25 every ten minutes or your 360 Red Rings.

It's absolute fucking bullshit how Silver users are total second-class citizens - can't use the online portion of games they purchase, can't access demos for weeks, can't use Microsoft's "hot features" much better implemented (and free) on the internet anyway...

[quote name='seanr1221']This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on CAG.

In other news, my apartment told me they were going to raise my rent next year. Y university said the same thing. Hey, didn't games used to be 50.00?

Wait a minute...this can't be! I must go and bitch on the message boards! If I call everyone a sheep, maybe I can get some people on my side. Sheep! You are all xbot sheep! Major Nelson is your shepard and he's taking your 10.00 to use as toilet paper can't you see!?

I could have bought 10 tacos with that 10.00.[/QUOTE]

People want to know how MS can justify raising prices? Well, our friend here is a major reason why. They seem proud that they are going to pay more.....they even go so far to create an analogy that makes no sense......i dont know about you guys, but when moneys tight and it comes down to paying my rent or buying live, i think we all know which way this guy is headed....and he wont bitch about it on a message board.....

Great analogy. A basic, but absolute, need vs a luxury item.......MS has nothing to fear.

Lol, I can't imagine why people would lock themselves in for years at a time. It reduces your consumer voting power to ZERO.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Starting fights now i see and have no clue about math i see as well.

12 months at $10 a month is $120. You are some piece of work. I think next time you actually know what you are talking about before you start bashing someone.[/QUOTE]
It's $10 extra PER YEAR, not per month. :lol:

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Pay me $10 and i will let you download a demo. You make me laugh so much about paying $10 a month just to play a demo a week early. What has the world come to.... How about pay $10 a month to play a beta a month. I might bite on that but a demo ummm go download a pc demo of it or ps3 demo. I do not know what else to say this just shocked me someone wants to pay $10 a month to play a demo 1 week early. This is why people get suckered into them. MS is doing there job making people think a demo week early is a honor. I would not get gold just to get a demo 1 week earlier....[/QUOTE]

i'm sure nick was just being sarcastic. right nick???

I also love the riGhT in time fOr halo ReacH!!! comments. Halo reach comes out November 1st, that's for sure.

Oh and bAH!!! Lead me
To the promise land Major Nelson!

[quote name='lordopus99']Your math sucks. A year cost 50 and now will cost 60. 10 dollars extra per year. Break that down by month and that is 0.83. Thanks for playing.[/QUOTE]

I think some people don't know the difference between 1 month and 1 year. It's an extra $0.83 a month if you pay full price.

Is it annoying, yes. Was it inevitable, yes. Hopefully the service keeps getting better and they add more content.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Starting fights now i see and have no clue about math i see as well.

12 months at $10 a month is $120. You are some piece of work. I think next time you actually know what you are talking about before you start bashing someone.[/QUOTE]

So you are telling me you paid on a month to month basis... get the fuck out of here. This is CAG, everyone buys a sub around 30/year. Most likely this goes up to 35 to 40/year.

[quote name='apostle22']People want to know how MS can justify raising prices? Well, our friend here is a major reason why. They seem proud that they are going to pay more.....they even go so far to create an analogy that makes no sense......i dont know about you guys, but when moneys tight and it comes down to paying my rent or buying live, i think we all know which way this guy is headed....and he wont bitch about it on a message board.....

Great analogy. A basic, but absolute, need vs a luxury item.......MS has nothing to fear. [/QUOTE]

Hey did you complain to all the apartment and home developers/owners when their prices went up...

I think he is mixing up inflation and corporate greed...inflation is something that happens to all sectors of business at the same general time. This is just flat out M$ saying we control the bulk of the online players on consoles so lets stick it to them(because we can) and also lets make all our arcade games 15 bucks that should be 10 as well....its not just the service that is going up in price here....i wouldn't be surprised if the awesome games that are coming out early 2011 got a price hike to 69.99, they already rob you for limited editions, 150 bucks for some that should be no more than 100....when will it end?

Paying 50.00 when Live launched is like paying 60.00 now. Corporate greed!

I don't know about you guys, but if I'm pissed off about a price I (get this whacky concept) don't pay it!

I know I know, less than a dollar a month is going to send me to the shitter, but it will be worth it.

PS my dessert last night was 9.00. Dang!

Hold on, gotta get back to the flock.

[quote name='seanr1221']This is one of the funniest threads I've ever read on CAG.

In other news, my apartment told me they were going to raise my rent next year. Y university said the same thing. Hey, didn't games used to be 50.00?

Wait a minute...this can't be! I must go and bitch on the message boards! If I call everyone a sheep, maybe I can get some people on my side.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you. You have an excellent point. Games used to be $50, now they are $60. Tons complained on message boards that they wouldn't buy games at $60 MSRP, I guess you are the ones buying all those Wii games that are still $50.

How about XBLA games. Originally 400-800 points. Did you buy Limbo, or Castlevania: HoD, or Marvel vs Capcom 2, how about Penny Arcade or Shadow Complex? That was a price increase technically, and XBLA games are still selling well if not better than before. Of course, you can argue quality is better on games now, so why are we assuming XBL will stay the same and not improve, everything seemed to improve after these price increase. Certainly a lot of quality games are coming out on 360 and PS3 on a monthly basis these days.

Of course, now I see the problem, its MICROSOFT, of course they are doing this for ONLY evil intentions and to make money. Were is Apple when you need it right? Probably fixing antenna issues with covers. ;) Companies make money, deal with it, but also, they improve their services, they know this, and they DO this.

(^sarcasm guys, don't mean to start a company war conversation, lets TRY to keep the thread on point, even if its not even close after yesterdays news)

[quote name='nightmare452']Thank you. You have an excellent point. Games used to be $50, now they are $60. Tons complained on message boards that they wouldn't buy games at $60 MSRP, I guess you are the ones buying all those Wii games that are still $50.

How about XBLA games. Originally 400-800 points. Did you buy Limbo, or Castlevania: HoD, or Marvel vs Capcom 2, how about Penny Arcade or Shadow Complex? That was a price increase technically, and XBLA games are still selling well if not better than before. Of course, you can argue quality is better on games now, so why are we assuming XBL will stay the same and not improve, everything seemed to improve after these price increase. Certainly a lot of quality games are coming out on 360 and PS3 on a monthly basis these days.

Of course, now I see the problem, its MICROSOFT, of course they are doing this for ONLY evil intentions and to make money. Were is Apple when you need it right? Probably fixing antenna issues with covers. ;) Companies make money, deal with it, but also, they improve their services, they know this, and they DO this.

(^sarcasm guys, don't mean to start a company war conversation, lets TRY to keep the thread on point, even if its not even close after yesterdays news)[/QUOTE]

This is CAG, we don't buy games at $60 MSRP and we don't buy MS Points at MSRP either, so ya some of stayed true to what we said.

Complaining won't get anywhere. MS is a business and could care less about our complaints. We all need to speak with our wallets. I'm not even going to bother with the 30-40 dollar subs online. I'm letting my sub end at the end of the year. I've already started getting all my multiplayer titles on the PS3/Steam. i'm a cheapassgamer, i think i'll take my online play free from now on.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']This is CAG, we don't buy games at $60 MSRP and we don't buy MS Points at MSRP either, so ya some of stayed true to what we said.[/QUOTE]

I don't pay more than $40 for ANY new release. I unfortunately do pay for the XBLA titles, I give you that. But how would deals be if games were still $50 MSRP. Would we find brand new titles like Halo weeks after release for $30? Assuming you are on CAG doesn't eliminate the price increase conversation. "Oh, I am on CAG, I find em cheaper anyway, so an increase doesn't bother me" It will, cause deals will be higher, not the same. Sales and what we see as "deals" will have to increase as with MSRP. This increase sucks, I agree, but complaining this much is nothing, I did buy my 12 month cards at $30, still got 2 left. But do I think I will find em at $30 in 1 year from now, highly unlikely, $35-40 will probably be the newest low for this in the future.

Edit: I see mods are deleting all those posts. GOOD. Thanks for clearing the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize that PS3 didn't have demos of all download games. Is that true? There aren't demos for all DVD-based games on the Xbox, so if that's what you're saying about the PS3, then I fail to see the difference. Barely any DVD-based games have demos on the Xbox.

You can add me and my boyfriend to the list of gamers dropping gold once our current status runs out (his in november, mine in january). :bomb:

All future multiplayer games will be bought for PS3, XBOX 360 will be used for exclusives.

[quote name='Don illmatix']there are always deals for Xbox live subs so this doesnt bother me one bit[/QUOTE]

The very fact that all the retailers are showing the same price suggests the days of MS letting retailers mark the price lower than them are at an end. Otherwise, the price increase would be pointless.

Soon, you'll only have $60 prices everywhere. ESPN's expensive.

[quote name='crunchewy']I didn't realize that PS3 didn't have demos of all download games. Is that true? There aren't demos for all DVD-based games on the Xbox, so if that's what you're saying about the PS3, then I fail to see the difference. Barely any DVD-based games have demos on the Xbox.[/QUOTE]

Only XBLA titles all have demos, not disc titles.

[quote name='cancerman1120']We all want Sony and Microsoft to make great systems and provide awesome content but when they actually charge us what is costs them to run such a business we are outraged. Neither Sony (PS3 only) nor Microsoft have made much money if any with their games division. Sony was losing money when the PS3 was $600 and may still be losing money on every sale. Plus they are losing money on PSN right now. You can only lose for so long before you either charge more OR you stop supporting the system. Either way, we will all complain about it.[/QUOTE]

As of the CECH-2101 A/B PS3 Slim units (late April 2010), sony is making a profit of around $15 per machine. Those SKU's are also quieter and cooler than the earlier Slims. Oh, and if you purchase a game that has an online component, you can access that content without paying another party to do so.

[quote name='mindsale']As of the CECH-2101 A/B PS3 Slim units (late April 2010), sony is making a profit of around $15 per machine. Those SKU's are also quieter and cooler than the earlier Slims. Oh, and if you purchase a game that has an online component, you can access that content without paying another party to do so.[/QUOTE]

Unless you buy one of the newer EA or THQ game's used.

[quote name='hutno']Unless you buy one of the newer EA or THQ game's used.[/QUOTE]

I know this is cheapassgamer and all, but I don't buy used games. I'm so obsessive compulsive about disc and library cleanliness / organization... I only have one used PS3 game (no used 360 / Wii games) - and I pored over it to ensure it was entirely scratch and spot-free, then purchased a new Blu-Ray box and switched the pristine manual / casing to that. Just sharin'.

[quote name='TC']Doesn't really matter to those who shop around for a deal.[/QUOTE]Again, while you'll still be getting a deal in the fact that you're paying below MSRP, you'll still be paying roughly $10 more for that deal than you're use to paying.

is this thread ever going to get updated? if it is for subscriptions deals then lets update the "deals" and not just complain and cry over the increase

amazon raised their prices, newegg link doesn't work, walmart is actually a little cheaper

Well, I guess maybe I should thank Microsoft for raising the price, as it has caused me to re-evaluate and realize that I don't need or want a Live Gold subscription anymore, whereas I might have just been complacent and renewed without thinking about it otherwise.

Now that my PS3, my Wii, and even my Samsung TV itself can do Netflix (all for free), Microsoft no longer has me by the balls for that one (and really, that was my primary initial reason for subscribing anyway). I have no interest in having Twitter or Facebook on my TV, and if I suddenly have a change of heart, my TV does those as well (for free). Last.fm is nice on my computer (for free), but I rarely use it on the XBox -- certainly not often enough to justify paying Microsoft for the privilege. I couldn't care less about ESPN3, but if I really want it, I can watch it on my computer (for free). And that upcoming Hulu Plus service? Oops, my TV already does that as well. For free.

(As a side note, it has continually amazed me that Microsoft thinks they can charge me money to access someone else's content -- not one of those features is content from Microsoft, the only thing that Microsoft does is act as a gateway. But, surprise, other devices have caught up, and it seems those other manufacturers don't feel the need to charge a premium to let me access content that they aren't producing or distributing. Funny, that.)

So it looks like the only thing that I get out of my LIVE Gold subscription is online play. I'm not really a huge fan of online play anyway -- hell, I can't even remember the last time I played a game online -- but you know what? I can play online on my PS3 for free as well. So it looks like I'll be buying those titles that I might want to play online on the PS3 from now on. (And those Microsoft-exclusive titles? Oh well, I never much liked Halo anyway.)

So congratulations, Microsoft. Not only have you made me realize that I don't really need or want to continue to pay for your subscription service, you've driven more of my game purchases over to the PS3 as well. Unless you come up with something to truly amaze me, rather than just continuing to try to charge me for access to other people's content (which I can access for free elsewhere), I won't be renewing when my current subscription runs out.

Seriously folks? It's $.83 a month... one cup of coffee every 2 or 3 months is all you have to sacrifice.

Look at the increase of game titles over the years to the sitting pretty price of $60 where now, $50 is the "sale" price. Complain to M$, not CAG, but I guarantee you, prices will not change. This is more fodder for the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 argument, but nobody gives a shit about that argument anymore either. If you don't want to renew, don't renew. It won't change anything, but at least you'll save face and stick to your guns.

[quote name='King Royalty']Hah Im glad I won 30 years of live![/QUOTE]

And when/if you plan on selling them, you just increased your take on each subscription! Woohoooooo!

Meh, I'm good until July anyway and I would lose those cardss since I'll be moving at least once and maybe twice when I find a job after graduation.....I can handle the extra .83 cents a month

[quote name='Retom7']Seriously folks? It's $.83 a month... one cup of coffee every 2 or 3 months is all you have to sacrifice.[/QUOTE]

Getting pretty tired of these posts. It's the principle and precedent.

First, there simply isn't any justification for the increase, no matter how small it is. What are we getting for the $10 increase? Nothing. I have had a 360 for over 2 years, and in that time, the Live service is not much different from what I started with. Is the GUI a little prettier and more organized? Sure. Not worth the extra money. All of the little features they add are fairly pointless. Facebook. Twitter. Last.fm. All stuff I can do on other devices, and those devices do them better than the 360. Netflix streaming is the only addition to Live that I think a good chunk of people would say is useful, and we already pay Netflix for it. And I can stream the content to other devices that don't charge subscription frees.

Second, remember the metaphor of the boiling frog. Toss a frog into boiling water, it will attempt to escape. Place the frog into cold water and slowly heat it, though, and it won't. If people don't put up a big stink about the "measly" $10 now, it will be another $10 down the road...and another $10 after that...and another after that...so forth and so on...until we're paying as much for Live as we do for the damn system.

[quote name='arcane93'](And those Microsoft-exclusive titles? Oh well, I never much liked Halo anyway.[/QUOTE]

I'm not into Halo and such either, but there are many great, exclusive XBLA titles as well as Indie, including online ones, and Cave bullet-hell shooters if you like those (and I do). So I won't be getting rid of my Xbox any time soon. If Cave keeps bringing titles to the US on the XBox only, I'll be in for the long haul. Well, that I don't have a PS3 (yet) doesn't help either. I can't quite justify buying a PS3 because of this price increase. Not yet, anyway. They might even get me to buy a family pack if there are any decent discounts on it. No way am I paying $100 for that, though.

As much as it pains me to hear about the price bump, it's been a few years since I've paid the full price to renew. Deals for the 12-Month Gold Subscription cards at Amazon or Dell have spared me (recently there was a $29.99/year card deal that my friend and I took advantage of).

Sure, the increase will also bump the cost of these cards up. But that's what CAG is here for... to keep finding those discounted subscription cards...right?! :(

[quote name='Retom7']Seriously folks? It's $.83 a month... one cup of coffee every 2 or 3 months is all you have to sacrifice.[/QUOTE]

Right, but my point was that this change caused me to re-evaluate my use of Live, and in doing so . . . I realized that I'm not really using it. Not $30 worth, not $50 worth, and certainly not $60 worth. Or, in the cases where I am using it (Netflix), I have other options which are just as good and don't cost me anything. If Microsoft had kept things as they were, I might well have just bought another card without really thinking about it, just out of habit. But all of the controversy over this change brought it to the foreground, and now that I've realized this I doubt that I would bother to renew it even if they decided not to change the price after all.

It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, sure, but I'm not in the habit of throwing away money for no reason regardless.

[quote name='crunchewy']I'm not into Halo and such either, but there are many great, exclusive XBLA titles as well as Indie, including online ones, and Cave bullet-hell shooters if you like those (and I do). So I won't be getting rid of my Xbox any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not getting rid of my XBox by any means, and I will certainly still buy some exclusive games. But the vast majority of games that I buy are single-player anyway, or I play them single-player. What I'm saying is that for those few games that I think I might want to play online at some point (say, Red Dead Redemption, or the multi-player in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, for example), I'll just go with the PS3 version from now on by default.

The only one that I can think of that it will burn me slightly to lose the multi-player on is Fable 3, but then I barely bothered with the multi-player in Fable 2, so it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Getting pretty tired of these posts. It's the principle and precedent.

First, there simply isn't any justification for the increase, no matter how small it is. What are we getting for the $10 increase? Nothing. I have had a 360 for over 2 years, and in that time, the Live service is not much different from what I started with. Is the GUI a little prettier and more organized? Sure. Not worth the extra money. All of the little features they add are fairly pointless. Facebook. Twitter. Last.fm. All stuff I can do on other devices, and those devices do them better than the 360. Netflix streaming is the only addition to Live that I think a good chunk of people would say is useful, and we already pay Netflix for it. And I can stream the content to other devices that don't charge subscription frees.

Second, remember the metaphor of the boiling frog. Toss a frog into boiling water, it will attempt to escape. Place the frog into cold water and slowly heat it, though, and it won't. If people don't put up a big stink about the "measly" $10 now, it will be another $10 down the road...and another $10 after that...and another after that...so forth and so on...until we're paying as much for Live as we do for the damn system.[/QUOTE]

First - there is added content to the 360 over time, it's just not stuff you're interested in. I'm not either, but the fact is, there is still additional features to Xbox. Sure, there are numerous other devices that stream Netflix, but not everyone owns multiple systems. I could take advantage of Wii's ability to stream for free, BUT, is there any guarantee that the 15 years it'll take (I am not sure Wii pricing, $150? If not, just divide that price by 10 and get the number of years it would take to pay that off with the difference in price) to make my money back, it would still be going? If Live was just important because of Netflix, but you had free options available anyway, shouldn't you have cut your losses and switched to a free option months ago? The justification is inflation and the ever rising price of doing business. Microsoft increases prices to maintain maximum profits. If you think they havn't analyzed the number of people who will leave the service vs the number who will stay and what those numbers will translate to in profits, you are mistaken. They expect a certain number of people to leave. Why do gas prices rise? Why do grocery bills rise? I understand Xbox isn't a necessity, but profit maximization is the primary responsibility of EVERY corporation. They are in business to make money for their investors.

Second - The frog dies in either scenario. I understand what you're trying to get at, but it's not the way things work. Prices go up in time, not down. Not every price increase has to be justified with additional content. I pay $2.87 a gallon for gasoline. When I first got my car, I paid $.87 a gallon. That two extra dollars still only gets me one gallon.

The frog doesn't die in either scenario. That's the point. Learn how to read. Also, it's called a metaphor, and it has nothing to with the freaking frog, anyway. It has to do with how people deal with change.

Another failed product of our decaying educational system...

[quote name='arcane93']Right, but my point was that this change caused me to re-evaluate my use of Live, and in doing so . . . I realized that I'm not really using it. Not $30 worth, not $50 worth, and certainly not $60 worth. Or, in the cases where I am using it (Netflix), I have other options which are just as good and don't cost me anything. If Microsoft had kept things as they were, I might well have just bought another card without really thinking about it, just out of habit. But all of the controversy over this change brought it to the foreground, and now that I've realized this I doubt that I would bother to renew it even if they decided not to change the price after all.

It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, sure, but I'm not in the habit of throwing away money for no reason regardless.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, and you're included in their calculations. There is no shame in leaving the service if you aren't satisfied with it. I have done it with things in the past like Blockbuster's mail service and tons of other things. I'm not saying you SHOULD pay it... I'm just saying it's a justified price increase on M$'s part. You don't have to be happy about paying the extra, but the extra is really not that bad.

PS - Everyone should follow suit and evaluate their use of things. A good evuation helps prioritize and make sure you're spending money in a productive way. I cut down to the basic netflix plan because I realized that it's been forever since I cared about what was sitting in my mailbox for me versus the movies offered via streaming. :)

So, I now pay more for even less?

How is access to services like Hulu, Netflix, ESPN, games, Facebook Lite, Twitter Lite, etc., supposed to be a premium offering for which I should shell out a sizeable amount of money? If they were full featured with full access, yeah it's a good deal. But all you really get is access to the opportunity to pay for the other extra services. But paying for the opportunity to pay more is ludicrous. Everything on XBL has a price tag from unreasonable brick and mortar pricing for full downloadable games to a friggin hat for my stupid avatar.

The only thing I'm even remotely interested in with XBL is the ability to play with friends online, which I hardly do enough of to be worth it anyway. And with my PC, I don't have to pay for that. I only pay for my cable internet and my game.

I just love how Microsoft has bamboozled absolutely everyone into defending the practice of paying more for less. Please, someone go ahead and try to discredit my post. All you are doing is paying to play and paying to pay.

I'm not at all interested in paying $60 a year for XBL. And I'm not at all interested in paying $50. It's worth $35 a year tops to me. If I can't get it for that, well I guess I'll just be a primarily PC gamer again as I have been for over a decade.

bread's done
Back