Xbox Live Gold Price Increase 11/1 - Subscription Deals Inside

[quote name='Salmonday']There may be one (and only one) possible bit of good to come out of this -- MS stated that the remaining time on your Gold account will be tallied against the price of a family membership (supposedly at $99). Previously, your year subscription is worth a max of $50. After November, it will be a $60 value.[/QUOTE]

Come on now. MS isn't giving shit away. They just raised the price of their service for crying out loud...

[quote name='62t']Retailers have to discount games to clear up space for new games. They would never have to do that with live card[/QUOTE]

The cards still take up space just not as much, but the same logic goes if the prices are $50 or $60. The reason to drop them the cards with a deep discount will be the same.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Comment from Joystiq:

Why? You're asking WHY? The better question is how can you afford not to spend $60 on this amazing array of services!

- FREE Netflix Streaming! (free is calculated as $0 + $120/year for Netflix subscription)

- FREE ESPN3 Service! (assuming that your cable company has already paid the licensing fee for ESPN3, which means you don't need your XBox to view it)

- FREE VideoKinect! (Because the best way to roll out s family-friendly hardware peripheral is to bundle it with ChatRoulette)

- FREE LAST.FM! (Think Pandora, except after every two songs they crank up the volume so that Major Nelson can scream at you about some XBL promotion for 15 seconds)

- FREE Facebook/Twitter Integration! (LOL, the jokes just kind of write themselves now)[/QUOTE]

That made me laugh.

Honestly though I find myself using xbox live less and less as the years go on, and do not plan to renew this October when my gold expires. Between PSN and my PC I shouldn't be paying for xbox.

[quote name='shrike4242']The "40' Ethernet cord issue" is an easy one to fix, myke, though that's another conversation for another day. Happy to help with if it comes up at another point.[/QUOTE]

I'm probably going to trade in for $100 credit at GS (if it still fetches that) and moving up to a 250GB Slim w/ wifi. But thanks for the offer.

Back on topic, I did read that the $40 deal was a one-time offer after I had posted.

I'm currently riding a year out that I picked up on clearance for $.88(that's right, cents)

after that, I have a dummy acct that's loaded for 3 years from the netflix glitch.

after THAT, screw MS, I never get to play much online anyways, and I"ve got a Wii for Netflix

[quote name='kklems']They are doing this to begin the push for family Live. (the 4 accounts for $99/year)[/QUOTE]
If they let you split it like Amazon Prime... ;)

[quote name='daphatty']This is complete bullshit. I don't see a single improvement to the XBL service that warrants a 20% cost increase. I've always been against charging for online gaming (MMOs are my only exception) but this just solidifies my position.

Greed is killing the game industry and my interest in it...[/QUOTE]

MWs3O.jpg

Hm. A price increase. Nothing of value to me has been added, and the things I've liked have been complete failures (1 vs 100 and Game Room).

Rarely play Live as it is, somehow, I think this will cause me to play even less.

What's everybody complainin about? We're all on this site because we're CAG's, we'll never pay FULL PRICE for anything videogame related, let alone a subscription card. Somehow some way we'll always find a deal, so F'U Microsoft! Oh and that 4gig 36o is ridiculous, someone has to go to microsoft headquarters or Major Nelson's house and smack'em upside the head for even puttin out that nonsense! Ok I'm done complainin' back to playin my $2o conviction with my $2o black 36o controller. lol.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm probably going to trade in for $100 credit at GS (if it still fetches that) and moving up to a 250GB Slim w/ wifi. But thanks for the offer.

Back on topic, I did read that the $40 deal was a one-time offer after I had posted.[/QUOTE]That also fixes that issue down the road.

Though, as we both read about this being a one-time offer, who's to say you couldn't get the extra year of Live at $40 and remove the auto-renewal? Save for the fact that removing your CC info from your XBL account is a giant PITA, having gone through it personally.

I'm thinking that as $30-40 seems to be the "sale" level for XBL right now with $50 being retail, and $30 being few and far between in the last few months, we might not find much sub-$50 after the change happens.

[quote name='Ed_']Glad I still have about 4 13 mo cards left. But I have to say I understand why they're increasing the prices but there are some of us that do not want netflix streaming, hulu, espn, and several of those other perks. Some of just want to play online and have access to demos and extra content.[/QUOTE]
This. Considering I only want the base features of demos and playing games, this is pretty shitty news.

[quote name='F8X']
MWs3O.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand what this means?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Rarely play Live as it is, somehow, I think this will cause me to play even less.[/QUOTE]

+1.

Tycho from Penny Arcade said it best today:
Actually, speaking of the Bible, I just sent Xbox Live's Major Nelson an e-mail. The subject line was "JESUS fuckING CHRIST." The message body read "n/t," because you don't really need any t to express why the subject line might say such a thing.

Was this really a shock to anyone? As soon as Sony announced their "new level" of online service for $50 a year, Microsoft realized they could charge even more.

[quote name='prence']Was this really a shock to anyone? As soon as Sony announced their "new level" of online service for $50 a year, Microsoft realized they could charge even more.[/QUOTE]
That's what I've been thinking. Looking over at PSN Plus for $50 a year probably made them realize that they could easily up the price of XBL.

[quote name='spid']The cards still take up space just not as much, but the same logic goes if the prices are $50 or $60. The reason to drop them the cards with a deep discount will be the same.[/QUOTE]

They might clear out the old cards, but thats might be it. They need to get rid old games to get space for new games. Why get rid of MS cards, to get more MS cards?

[quote name='EdblD718']What's everybody complainin about? We're all on this site because we're CAG's, we'll never pay FULL PRICE for anything videogame related, let alone a subscription card. Somehow some way we'll always find a deal, so F'U Microsoft! Oh and that 4gig 36o is ridiculous, someone has to go to microsoft headquarters or Major Nelson's house and smack'em upside the head for even puttin out that nonsense! Ok I'm done complainin' back to playin my $2o conviction with my $2o black 36o controller. lol.[/QUOTE]

We been getting deals for MS cards, but the deals will be worst from now on. A $20 saving before would be $30. Now it would be $40.

Haha, saw this coming a mile away. There were rumblings about this months ago and now that M$ has their claws in so many people, they'll be forced to pay the extra $10 (pending deals on time cards) in stride. I can't wait for the backlash when the servers go down for a week after Christmas thanks to the mass influx of Halo: Reach players.

Being that the prices haven't changed in over 5 years, this was coming. Like I have seen others mention, if you are on this site you aren't paying retail for your subscription. You still will only be paying somewhere between 30-40 for your sub once a year. :roll:

This is pretty weak! I literally just renewed for a year, so I have some time to decide if I want to continue or find a decent sale on a sub. card. It might be time to move over to the PSN for my online gaming.

[quote name='prence']Was this really a shock to anyone? As soon as Sony announced their "new level" of online service for $50 a year, Microsoft realized they could charge even more.[/QUOTE]

Yes, considering that this service and PSN+ are two entirely different things. Microsoft is bringing nothing extra to the table with this increase in cost.

[quote name='EdblD718']What's everybody complainin about? We're all on this site because we're CAG's, we'll never pay FULL PRICE for anything videogame related, let alone a subscription card. Somehow some way we'll always find a deal, so F'U Microsoft! Oh and that 4gig 36o is ridiculous, someone has to go to microsoft headquarters or Major Nelson's house and smack'em upside the head for even puttin out that nonsense! Ok I'm done complainin' back to playin my $2o conviction with my $2o black 36o controller. lol.[/QUOTE]

So what? I don't get how the ability to find a good deal matters in this discussion. If ALL games raised to $70 - I'm sure most people would be angry as well even though you can always find games for cheaper. It's not just because they are raising the price and none of us can afford the extra amount, it's that they are actually raising something that was too expensive to begin with.

[quote name='lordopus99']Being that the prices haven't changed in over 5 years, this was coming. Like I have seen others mention, if you are on this site you aren't paying retail for your subscription. You still will only be paying somewhere between 30-40 for your sub once a year. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but others have said with the $49.99 MSRP, deals tend to be $30-35 for a year. Now with the MSRP of $59.99 there's a good chance the best deals will be $40-45, so we're all likely to still get the $10 increase.

The current best deals are generally $15-20 off, no reason to expect retailers will up that to $25-30 to keep the prices we pay around $30-35.

I was JUST coming in here to post the exact thing.

Anyway, this is a prime reason why I hate Microsoft. They are greedy and trying to pass the costs of maintaining crap features most people don't use onto the customers.

Unless I can find a Sub card for around $30 I'm going silver when I run out of gold in May. Then I can use my 15 48 codes every once and awhile. I was going to move my online play over to the PSN anyway.

[quote name='Scorch']every single one of you will still buy the year subscription to xbox live.[/QUOTE]
No, we won't. I just canceled my Halo: Reach pre-order. I'll stick with free online via PC/PS3. There's no reason for people like myself who will play maybe 2 or 3 games online a year on their Xbox 360 to pay $60 for that RIGHT (not privilege, right). Was looking forward to Halo: Reach but I refuse to pay MS any more money this console generation.

Weren't there rumors that MS was going to introduce a new tier for XBL? Perhaps this is it? $60 for everything, and perhaps a smaller fee for just playing games online? One can hope, but I'm not holding my breathe.

[quote name='daphatty']Come on now. MS isn't giving shit away. They just raised the price of their service for crying out loud...[/QUOTE]

Like I said, the benefit would only affect a small number of people with previously purchased discounted memberships who then upgrade to a family account but get credited for the remainder on the single account at the upgraded pricing structure.

I'm not saying it's cause for celebration, but the fact of the matter is that when I do make the upgrade for my family, I might get an extra $5-$10 off what I was expecting to pay.

[quote name='SynGamer']No, we won't. I just canceled my Halo: Reach pre-order. I'll stick with free online via PC/PS3. There's no reason for people like myself who will play maybe 2 or 3 games online a year on their Xbox 360 to pay $60 for that RIGHT (not privilege, right). Was looking forward to Halo: Reach but I refuse to pay MS any more money this console generation.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Microsoft has the balls to raise the price in this economy when they have a $200 system, $60 games, accessories, and now $60 XBL membership. They are going to take a bigger hit by pulling this greedy scam then they suspect.

PC and PS3 offer free online and the PS3 is very comparable to the online community of XBL. The PS3 community is big enough where you don't even notice the slightly smaller size compared to XBL, and few people are paying for PS+ at $50, and the same people most likely won't pay $60 for XBL.

People only pay for XBL because of the bigger community to play with, everyone hates the actual community that has an overall age of 10.

[quote name='SynGamer']Weren't there rumors that MS was going to introduce a new tier for XBL? Perhaps this is it? $60 for everything, and perhaps a smaller fee for just playing games online? One can hope, but I'm not holding my breathe.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so. There were rumors I thought at one point, but M$ don't roll that way. I am sure you pay $60 for Gold or get nothing.

this is why i am glad i want silver a couple months ago...tired of the abuse from cheaters and exploiters on FPS xbox live games...and now they raise the price 10 bucks in a bad economy. Take it from a silver member, its a lot less stress in your life. Also, coming from a guy who has been through 6 or 7 360s since they came out, you think they would give me a couple years of live for that kind horrible fail rate on their faulty hardware that they never fully fixed right for me. They are essentially punishing people that play their system a lot in as many ways as they can get away with. I'll just play pc online for FREE thank you...PS3 was free but i think they will start charging NOV 1st as well so i'll just keep my 360 silver and play online with my PC...thanks M$ for making this decision easy for me.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I agree with this. Microsoft has the balls to raise the price in this economy when they have a $200 system, $60 games, accessories, and now $60 XBL membership. They are going to take a bigger hit by pulling this greedy scam then they suspect.

PC and PS3 offer free online and the PS3 is very comparable to the online community of XBL. The PS3 community is big enough where you don't even notice the slightly smaller size compared to XBL, and few people are paying for PS+ at $50, and the same people most likely won't pay $60 for XBL.

People only pay for XBL because of the bigger community to play with, everyone hates the actual community that has an overall age of 10.[/QUOTE]

I actually have PS+ but I'm getting free games and add-ons AND discounts EVERY MONTH. And if that access to beta's and such kicks in the $50 was well worth it.

M$ is so greedy allthetimes.

Oh PS3, how I love thee.

For those who never got a PS3 because they were more expensive, think about how much cheeper they really are now. Free online play (with less ghetto and white trash), Blu ray player, wireless adapt, lack of constant hardware failure, and a choice of payable online service that is constantly giving away freebies in the form of PSN+.

Wow, the PS3 pays for itself. :applause: It's as if it wants to make me happy by playing my favorite games and saving me money. Oh you~

Microsoft probably is trying to cash in this winter. People who don't have a 360 will most likely pay the $60 price because they didn't know it was $50 before. That and Halo Reach and the new Call of Duty will surely bring in new customers.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I agree with this. Microsoft has the balls to raise the price in this economy when they have a $200 system, $60 games, accessories, and now $60 XBL membership. They are going to take a bigger hit by pulling this greedy scam then they suspect.

People only pay for XBL because of the bigger community to play with, everyone hates the actual community that has an overall age of 10.[/QUOTE]
remember the time when the xbox cost 400 dollars? pepperidge farm remembers.

Wow. People are making a huge deal out of $10......When was the last time any of you paid $49.99 for a xbl subscription? Is another $10 really going to bankrupt anyone? If it is you shouldn't be playing games. I'm not defending MS but some of you should simmer down a bit. And ps3 fanboys go away. This doesn't need to be a flamewar thread.

[quote name='slickkill77']Wow. People are making a huge deal out of $10......When was the last time any of you paid $49.99 for a xbl subscription? Is another $10 really going to bankrupt anyone? If it is you shouldn't be playing games. I'm not defending MS but some of you should simmer down a bit. And ps3 fanboys go away. This doesn't need to be a flamewar thread.[/QUOTE]

It's not that $10 will make people go broke. It's the fact that they're raising prices without adding anything worthwhile to the service. With all the ads and crap, it actually makes less sense to raise prices.

[quote name='crzyboy88']It's not that $10 will make people go broke. It's the fact that they're raising prices without adding anything worthwhile to the service. With all the ads and crap, it actually makes less sense to raise prices.[/QUOTE]

Well the are adding ESPN 3 (which is paid for by ISPs, and I assume they're paying ESPN for it) and Hulu plus which is a paid service.

So it's more that they're just adding more non-gaming stuff which sucks for people who won't use it.

It actually makes a lot of sense. If 1 out of 5 people stop paying for Gold, their revenue is the same. I hate paying more, but I am good until March 2012 as it is. I'm more worried about what happens to all my DLC when the new xbox comes out. If I can't play any of those arcade titles or rock band songs, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Also they are not increasing the price in Japan, Asia and rest of Europe (where the gap between Xbox 360 and PS3 is a lot closer).

A few notes:

I figured something was up when I kept seeing the discounts when you logged into XBL.

You have been paying the same price for XBL Gold since 2002 -- that is 8yrs. How many people paid full price for XBL Gold? Between discounts and XBL 3-month cards etc. I remember getting XBL Gold for 1yr with my Xbox and finding deals for $29.99, those deals will still be around. Its $0.03 a day. if you buy bottled water you will pay more per ounce.

Sony will not be able to run those servers for free forever, and they are going to be pushing the PSN+

I am not saying I like this, but you guys are going to see a lot of things get price increase in the coming year.

I don't believe this is that big of a deal.

[quote name='TurboPascal']A few notes:

I figured something was up when I kept seeing the discounts when you logged into XBL.

You have been paying the same price for XBL Gold since 2002 -- that is 8yrs. How many people paid full price for XBL Gold? Between discounts and XBL 3-month cards etc. I remember getting XBL Gold for 1yr with my Xbox and finding deals for $29.99, those deals will still be around. Its $0.03 a day. if you buy bottled water you will pay more per ounce.

Sony will not be able to run those servers for free forever, and they are going to be pushing the PSN+

I am not saying I like this, but you guys are going to see a lot of things get price increase in the coming year.

I don't believe this is that big of a deal.[/QUOTE]

8 years ago MS was the only one with a real online service. Today every system and handheld on the market can go online, for free. Hardware and accessories gotten cheaper since the launch of Xbox 360. They made billions of Xbox live. Lowering the price would be a good way to get more new customers.

Sorry guess, I'm late to the party, what did I miss?

oh... $60... going up... well... hmm

All jokes aside, like I said in the Reach thread yesterday. LIVE Gold is all about perceived value. Hopefully MS, will add something to increase the "value" of Live. ESPN3 is nice, but I could just as easily hook an HDMI cable to my laptop. Same for Netflix, Twitter, Last.fm, Facebook. For me Gold has and always will be about gaming online. However, as the price goes up they will need to add more "value" for me to continue to pay.

I know $60 is steep, but this is CAG. We all know how to find a deal, rape it (some even profit) and make due. $10 is only one case of Natty a year you can't buy...

Also:

Where are are the posts abut people ordering "stacks" of cards to flip after the increase?

I know those free one months subs I won a while back just appreciated in value.

I wish Facebook, Last.fm, ESPN, etc all that stuff would be an optional premium service. All I want is to pay games and talk to my friends

[quote name='dmaul1114']Well the are adding ESPN 3 (which is paid for by ISPs, and I assume they're paying ESPN for it) and Hulu plus which is a paid service.

So it's more that they're just adding more non-gaming stuff which sucks for people who won't use it.[/QUOTE]

You still need to pay $10 for Hulu Plus last I checked...and Netflix is a Gold member only feature, something I can get for free via my PC, PS3, and Wii. Then there's the fact that XBL is littered with hackers and cheaters...it just doesn't make sense to pay for that.

bread's done
Back