Xbox Live Summer 2009 Update Thread - Now Live!

I think part of the thinking behind being able to see what people are watching is that since there is now the Netflix party option, you would see one of your friends watching something and message them with "Oh, I love that show/movie/whatever" or "I wanted to see that" and then you could watch it together. Seems unlikely I would actually do this, but it is conceivable.

Also, I could give two shits if people see what I'm watching via Netflix. 80% of XBL users no doubt think Transformers 2 is the height of cinematic excellence (that's right, Linkin -- I went there), so I'm not exactly afraid of being judged. :roll:

[quote name='Draekon']I would hope that's something which can be turned off as it will definitely be more intrusive to some people than others. Also wouldn't want to know that SynGamer is watching Legally Blonde or something else along those lines.[/QUOTE]

sounds like you have a social problem.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think it's a cool feature, we can already see what people are playing and everytime I see that Netflix logo on my friends screen, I always wonder what people are watching.

Got an email and the dash update on Tuesday. Dash seems to be alot faster. When bringing up the list of DLC it loads in 5-10 seconds as opposed to 45 seconds to 2 minutes in the past. Also the games section is quicker. Before it would take a good 2 minutes just to let me chose from the categories. Now it is pretty much 5-10 seconds. One think I do not like is that it includes all the Community/Indy games under the "Game Demo" option.

[quote name='life.exe']I like the way the achievement lists come up now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the achievement list is a lot better than before

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']One think I do not like is that it includes all the Community/Indy games under the "Game Demo" option.[/QUOTE]

Geez, that sucks, so now you have to wade through all that stuff to see what new demos are out :bomb:

[quote name='tysonxguitar']Yeah the achievement list is a lot better than before[/QUOTE]

You mean the list of achievements you can get to from the Dashboard, from My Xbox? I don't see much of a difference except for the "All Games" tab, and that now you can launch each arcade game from its achievement tab. What has changed?

[quote name='_heretic']You mean the list of achievements you can get to from the Dashboard, from My Xbox? I don't see much of a difference except for the "All Games" tab, and that now you can launch each arcade game from its achievement tab. What has changed?[/QUOTE]

When you view the achievements for each individual game (using the Xbox Button) they no longer show up as a long list, they now are laid out in a table w/ an icon for each achievement.

Old:
0.jpg

vs
New:
002-xbox-dashboard-fall-09-preview_medium.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pictures i just seached google quick for examples.

Do both friends need to have a netflix subscription to watch a movie together?

Yeah i love the new achievement screen. Now i dont have to click on each achievement to see how to get it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Do both friends need to have a netflix subscription to watch a movie together?

Yeah i love the new achievement screen. Now i dont have to click on each achievement to see how to get it.[/QUOTE]

Yes...and ditto.

Few things..

The red xbox shirt is blue now for me.

The party join click sound comes through the headset, kind of annoying.

[quote name='kylerg']Few things..

The red xbox shirt is blue now for me.

The party join click sound comes through the headset, kind of annoying.[/QUOTE]

The XBOX (power button) shirt is the only one that has been updated with color options...hope this feature catches on to everything else.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']Anyone know which games unlock prizes and props for avatars because i'm not spending money on that crap.[/QUOTE]

So far 'Splosion Man is the only one but no one knows what or how.

I'm guessing most future titles will have them.

[quote name='tysonxguitar']When you view the achievements for each individual game (using the Xbox Button) they no longer show up as a long list, they now are laid out in a table w/ an icon for each achievement.

Old:
0.jpg

vs
New:
002-xbox-dashboard-fall-09-preview_medium.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pictures i just seached google quick for examples.[/QUOTE]

Um...it was like that before the update. The background might be throwing me off a bit because that page you are on is always how they've done it. You see 12, click on it, and it goes to that list.

[quote name='KingBroly']Um...it was like that before the update. The background might be throwing me off a bit because that page you are on is always how they've done it. You see 12, click on it, and it goes to that list.[/QUOTE]

No, it's different now. When you get an achievement or check your achievements, it goes right to the screen shown in the second pic. It shows all the achievements and just hovering over them shows what you need to do to get them instead of having to click on them.

That was the view for achievement progress when you clicked on "Games Played" or whatever through your profile though.

I just bought 500 points and spent about half on just clothes. This clothing system will be the end of the cash flow.....I can sense it lol.

i will never buy clothes

also, awesome you can now see what people are watching on netflix. i hope they never option you to hide it.

[quote name='DestroVega']i will never buy clothes

also, awesome you can now see what people are watching on netflix. i hope they never option you to hide it.[/QUOTE]

At least I can justify spending money on clothes for my avatar......as gay as that sounds. I really couldn't pull the plug on buying clothes for HOME. Meh. I don't mind spending 80 pts for some cool pants or a cool shirt. But the props at 160 is a little outta control and 320 or what ever for that HALO RC wathog....I mean come on. Seriously?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']The RC Warthog is up? I don't plan on buying it, just didn't see it last night.[/QUOTE]

It's been up ever since the preview came out Linkin. I just think it might be under the HALO:ODST and not the Halo 3 styles.

Ok, Maybe it's me.....BUT has anybody else gotten there netflix to update? For some reason mine didn't update or anything. Yet I can buy clothes and everything else. Any suggestions?

Also, I looked on the forums and i couldn't find the Preview forums so i could ask the same question as well? Could somebody PM me the link?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vulcan2422']It's been up ever since the preview came out Linkin. I just think it might be under the HALO:ODST and not the Halo 3 styles.[/QUOTE]

You can also find it by going to the marketplace while customizing you avatar

Well, I just deleted Netflix then redownloaded it again with still no luck at all. Getting quite mad at this stupid netflix really. I just want to see the new stuff and watch some movies with my buddies

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Well, I just deleted Netflix then redownloaded it again with still no luck at all. Getting quite mad at this stupid netflix really. I just want to see the new stuff and watch some movies with my buddies[/QUOTE]

Try clearing your cache yet?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Try clearing your cache yet?[/QUOTE]

It's actually nice that in the Memory options there is a Clear System Cache option right there.

Deleted Netflix before the clear. Then cleared it and reinstalled Netflix again with no damn luck. UGH. This is really pissing me off. Where the hell are these forums that they said they had up to discuss problems? I havn't seen them yet on there.

What do you know, got my email saying I was invited just now.

EDIT: I got prompted for an update again? The heck? Anybody else or did I really just download it twice?

thanks for that Linkin. Apparently I'm not the only one having problems it seems. Hopefully I can see the new Netflix stuff once they get it all worked out.

[quote name='Draekon']What do you know, got my email saying I was invited just now.

EDIT: I got prompted for an update again? The heck? Anybody else or did I really just download it twice?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just swapped discs and got prompted to update my system for the 2nd time. I let it do it, but I haven't noticed anything different yet.

Finally got in and the update took a lot longer than I thought it would, about 11 minutes to be exact.

Will the Xbox Preview section always be there? It would be nice to have My Xbox right below the two marketplace sections and the friends list.

Is there a way to back out of the rating screen without rating the game? I'd guess just pushing it back to 0 stars, but I haven't that. I just noticed that there wasn't really a clear way to back out of that screen.

I think it's very cool, that now with Netflix, "HD" shows up at at the end of the "title" when you're searching through your Queue. Now they just have to update the actual website to do it as well.
I'm happy to see that the search includes the 100 most popular Drama, comedy, etc, rather than 25 (which is what I had been hearing before the beta came out).

I got a second update.
I imagine they tweaked a few things.
I don't think they had "recently Viewed" in the previous Netflix window.

I got a second update too. I wonder what it did.

EDIT: Maybe I've never noticed this before, BUT it seems like if you buy a bundle now (example I bought Gears 2's All Fronts pack) it gives you credit for buying every piece of that bundle (It shows that I bought the Combustible and Snowbound packs as well even though I didn't buy them individually).

Yup, just downloaded the second update and my friends list loads incredibly fast now. Also, has there always been the option to eject the disc that's currently in your tray by pressing x, or is that something that I've just not been aware of for several years?

Damn, i got a small update, then my xbox reset. Now its applying the update....12 minute wait. Was it this long for others? I already did the update a few days ago.

Got the email earlier today.
Whoo whoo.
Had 2 updates so far. I've noticed a few minor things.
The new game clothing is pretty neat, but I doubt I'd get any.

Got second update...i dont know if this was here before or not, but i noticed that the status bar at the top of the screen (fast forward or rewind) while watching something on netflix has a internet status now, the bars...kind of neat.

bread's done
Back