Xbox One Console Thread (Console is currently in stock as of 12/3 at Amazon)

Really? I think both of the next gen designs are bulky and ugly.
They're like VCRs with some shiny paint thrown on.

Sometimes I wish Jony Ive designed everything.. :)
I agree that both consoles are ugly - particularly the Xbone. BUT they're beautiful in what they represent; the start of a new console generation. So I feel that same stirring of excitement that Jaashua does, even if I'm not crazy about the aesthetic design of the console.

either that guy works at ms he seem pretty young i would guess one of his parents work at ms and was a person that got to test the system
For some reason people seemed to think it was a little brother of an employee, or former employee now. I don't get why they fire the guy over it.

Anyone have experience with buying a warranty for a console? I'm thinking about picking one up for the xbox, in case anything like the rrod or some new error happens again. Particularly any warranty from walmart (i'm getting it there) or another good company?
The Best Buy one I had for my 360 turned out to be the best purchase I ever made (electronically speaking). Went through 4 of them before they finally just refunded me my money.

The BB one is great for consoles unless you are able to buy one from Costco or something.

The major suckfest with the xbox one is no removable hdd which means you have to clear, and wipe the xbox one every time (if) something goes wrong with it,

Anyone have experience with buying a warranty for a console? I'm thinking about picking one up for the xbox, in case anything like the rrod or some new error happens again. Particularly any warranty from walmart (i'm getting it there) or another good company?
Ive been buying/ using warrantys since dreamcast released in 1999. Mainly used bestbuy for warrantys since up till like 2009 they would simply trade ur broken system for a new one off the store shelf or give a gift card if you had there warranty. They changed it to a fix it type program around 2009 and i havent used them since.

The one time i did use there fix it type program here is how it went... Sent the system (360) in, 2 weeks later got a refurbished console that looks like it had been beatin with a baseball bat with a ton of non official warranty stickers on it. It worked for a month and dies, then sent it in again and they gave me a gift card to buy a new one in store.

Point is tho a warranty is worth buying eitherway, long as it keeps a working console in ur possession its worth it. Walmart warranty program works basically the same as best buys/toys r us and other places, where you will send it in and then recieve a fixed refurbished console. If after a set amount of repairs ur problem keeps happening they will send you a gift card to buya new one.

Bottem Line.... Buy the walmart warranty, it is half the price of anywhere else at only $44 for 3 years of coverage its a small investment for a big gain if ur $550 machine breaks. Places like best buy offer warrantys for it but are way overpriced at around $170ish for 3 years. Toys r us is $120 for 3 year with accidental protection. IMO Walmart is a good place to get a console and warranty, but if you buy elsewhere id recommened Squaretrades warrantys, ive not used them but from what ive read there one of the best and it can be bought for stuff bought at ANY/most retail stores there 3 year plan is $70ish and $105 with accidental.

Im going with walmart, but if your not buying a console at walmart id skip your stores plan and buya square trades warranty online.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Wow.  Thanks for your explanation.  Looking back, had I bought warranty for my 360, I would've saved money since I had RROD 3 times.  $44 is a bargain.

Also SquareTrade sends out 30/40% off coupons on the regular.

Warranty for both my consoles will be like $120 for both if I recall correctly.

I decided to commit on getting my Amazon Xbox One Day One preorder I made the day it was announced. I also preordered today Watch Dogs, AC4, Madden 25, and a extra controller with play and charge.

I decided to commit on getting my Amazon Xbox One Day One preorder I made the day it was announced. I also preordered today Watch Dogs, AC4, Madden 25, and a extra controller with play and charge.
I feel like Ubisoft is lucky as hell that they planned two of their titles during next gen launch.

Everyone here on CAG knows very well that Ubisoft titles drop in price dramatically after release and I know for one I am actually tempted to buy them right away since they are the few titles on the X1 and PS4 despite knowing damn well that they will drop in price quite quickly.

I am going to stay strong though and be content with Ryse, Dead Rising 3, BF4 and Ghosts until Watch Dogs and AC4 drop to around $30

I feel like Ubisoft is lucky as hell that they planned two of their titles during next gen launch.

Everyone here on CAG knows very well that Ubisoft titles drop in price dramatically after release and I know for one I am actually tempted to buy them right away since they are the few titles on the X1 and PS4 despite knowing damn well that they will drop in price quite quickly.

I am going to stay strong though and be content with Ryse, Dead Rising 3, BF4 and Ghosts until Watch Dogs and AC4 drop to around $30
Ya true, BF4 I plan on getting on PC, and none of the other launch titles really interest me. I figure I don't want to deal with Ubisoft U-Play on PC so I'll make those my launch purchases on Xbox One. I am really interested in Titanfall, Quantum Break, Halo, and Destiny but those won't be out for awhile.

yeah only bad thing about best buy is how they do the random temp charges on card till release which is why i just plopped the xbox one onto my best buy store card and not have to worry about it affect my every day budget. Plus with that card you get 18 months to pay it off.

yeah only bad thing about best buy is how they do the random temp charges on card till release which is why i just plopped the xbox one onto my best buy store card and not have to worry about it affect my every day budget. Plus with that card you get 18 months to pay it off.
if you preordered in store, it is only $25 deposit

I went ahead and reserved one online with a Best Buy credit card. I figured I could get it for 18 month interest free and also no multiple charges. 

I think Microsoft is on to something. Whenever I get on my 360 all anyone is ever on is netflix or some other video app. Does anyone play games anymore.

/midnight rant

I think Microsoft is on to something. Whenever I get on my 360 all anyone is ever on is netflix or some other video app. Does anyone play games anymore.

/midnight rant
I think that does play a big part into what they showcase when it comes to their stuff. The gamers are loud and Internet savvy, but the usage stats don't lie.

Is it $25 or $100 to pre-order xbox one at best buy? hoping to see if they have any day one's in the one by me, even though i have one pre-ordered on amazon. id like to just be able to pick it up. 

Because I see two prices for the same thing. I see people saying 100 and people saying 25. Just looking for some clarification... 

Changed my mind on Gamestop, so I cancelled my preorder, took that money and preordered from Best Buy. I might as well for the RZ points. 

Boy, that Gamestop employee was not happy.

The BB one is great for consoles unless you are able to buy one from Costco or something.

The major suckfest with the xbox one is no removable hdd which means you have to clear, and wipe the xbox one every time (if) something goes wrong with it,
The Xbox One will support external HDs for game installs.

So, as far as warranties go, Square Trade is the one to get, right? I'm getting my XBONE at best buy, but I don't want to mess with their refurbished crap. I heard they no longer just give you a new console, but they give you refurbished one instead. No thanks.

So, as far as warranties go, Square Trade is the one to get, right? I'm getting my XBONE at best buy, but I don't want to mess with their refurbished crap. I heard they no longer just give you a new console, but they give you refurbished one instead. No thanks.
Yeah Squaretrade is solid, especially if you can get a 30-40% off coupon.

How does one acquire that coupon, sir?

I think I signed up on the website for emails.

Or just pay attention to Slickdeals. They have codes all the time.

Thought of something the other day.  The PS4 is clearly a more powerful machine but with sony not knowing how to do software very well,  I predict the extra power it does have over the X1 is gonna be used up by sony's UI/OS due to the lack of knowledge in the software department.  We already know 3.5gb of the RAM will be used but the CPU/GPU will also be used for its UI/OS and its unknown how much of that may need to be set aside for the in game UI.    

Sure MS will need to use its cpu/gpu as well as its set aside 3gb of RAM however they know software much much better then sony.   The 360 only has a measly 16mb of on board memory for its system updates and still managed to find a easy way to exspand and make it as impressive as it is on 8 year old hardware,  while sony has done nothing to there PS3 UI besides adding a very buggy/slow in game xmb.  

I plan to get both consoles,  but being a PS3 and 360 owner since they launched,  Ive seen how both systems software has advanced and the PS3 really didn't advance far from its initial release software.  Sorry if this may sound fanboyish,  I assure you its not.  Just my impressions over the past 8 years of beign a 360/ps3 owner.    Also wanna note ive had 12 xbox 360's hardware fail on me and no PS3's fail.   Sony knows hardware,  Microsoft knows software.

I plan to get both consoles, but being a PS3 and 360 owner since they launched, Ive seen how both systems software has advanced and the PS3 really didn't advance far from its initial release software. Sorry if this may sound fanboyish, I assure you its not. Just my impressions over the past 8 years of beign a 360/ps3 owner. Also wanna note ive had 12 xbox 360's hardware fail on me and no PS3's fail. Sony knows hardware, Microsoft knows software.
I plan to get both as well, but I think that the playing field might be more even now. Before it was Sony boasting the Cell processor everywhere. With both next-gen consoles, isn't the architecture the same/similar? Also, I think it's the developers/studios more so than Sony that know their way around the system. I *just* started to play Infamous 2 and I was impressed how it holds up still.

Sorry, if you meant just the systems/OS then I agree. The XMB always feels tacked on, where as on Xbox Live everything flows a bit more.

12 Xbox 360's?! o_O I'm sorry, man. I went through two consoles (sold one off when I started seeing signs, the next E74 erred on me - after that refurb I went ahead and bought a 360 slim and it's been fine since).

Thought of something the other day. The PS4 is clearly a more powerful machine but with sony not knowing how to do software very well, I predict the extra power it does have over the X1 is gonna be used up by sony's UI/OS due to the lack of knowledge in the software department. We already know 3.5gb of the RAM will be used but the CPU/GPU will also be used for its UI/OS and its unknown how much of that may need to be set aside for the in game UI.

Sure MS will need to use its cpu/gpu as well as its set aside 3gb of RAM however they know software much much better then sony. The 360 only has a measly 16mb of on board memory for its system updates and still managed to find a easy way to exspand and make it as impressive as it is on 8 year old hardware, while sony has done nothing to there PS3 UI besides adding a very buggy/slow in game xmb.

I plan to get both consoles, but being a PS3 and 360 owner since they launched, Ive seen how both systems software has advanced and the PS3 really didn't advance far from its initial release software. Sorry if this may sound fanboyish, I assure you its not. Just my impressions over the past 8 years of beign a 360/ps3 owner. Also wanna note ive had 12 xbox 360's hardware fail on me and no PS3's fail. Sony knows hardware, Microsoft knows software.
I certainly agree with you. And to piggy back off that we aren't just talking software we are talking the operating systems that run the software. No one knows O.S. like Microsoft. I would put money on Microsoft successfully implementing the 3 O.S. planned in the X1 using less memory than Sony does with whatever they have planned for the PS4.

Moving forward Microsoft will update and make it even better.

Sony knows hardware?  Tell that to all the millions of people with the DRE.  Both Microsoft and Sony have had a high-failing console now.  People should buy each console with the same amount of "fear".  I've never had either the PS2 or the Xbox 360 fail on me so I would have no personal fear from either, but the stats don't lie for the early models of the PS2 or the early models of the Xbox 360.

Thought of something the other day. The PS4 is clearly a more powerful machine but with sony not knowing how to do software very well, I predict the extra power it does have over the X1 is gonna be used up by sony's UI/OS due to the lack of knowledge in the software department. We already know 3.5gb of the RAM will be used but the CPU/GPU will also be used for its UI/OS and its unknown how much of that may need to be set aside for the in game UI.

Sure MS will need to use its cpu/gpu as well as its set aside 3gb of RAM however they know software much much better then sony. The 360 only has a measly 16mb of on board memory for its system updates and still managed to find a easy way to exspand and make it as impressive as it is on 8 year old hardware, while sony has done nothing to there PS3 UI besides adding a very buggy/slow in game xmb.

youre trying to make a correlation between the UI/OS and the actual Development software. There's zero indication that when it comes to actual game development tools, that MS has any sort of advantage. Infact, when you think about how complex it was to get results out of the cell architecture, you'd assume the Sony teams are much more battle tested as far as getting the most out of hardware.

Sony knows hardware? Tell that to all the millions of people with the DRE. Both Microsoft and Sony have had a high-failing console now. People should buy each console with the same amount of "fear". I've never had either the PS2 or the Xbox 360 fail on me so I would have no personal fear from either, but the stats don't lie for the early models of the PS2 or the early models of the Xbox 360.

I don't think the DRE is anywhere close to the RROD in prevalence. I mean, the QA on the launch Xbox 360's had to be pretty bad when IGN reported a year later that every single one of their PERSONAL 360's and work 360's from launch had died. Every single one.

I don't think any PS3 even comes close to that level of failure rate. The fact that MS didn't do a recall and wasn't forced to do a recall is just a testament to how expensive the PS3 was and how invested people were in their $60 a pop collections.

The 360 Slim did not mimick the PS3's launch design for no reason. The PS3 launch design was a work of art that was quieter, cooler, better than the 360 in every way except GPU performance and memory division. Those were problems due to the fact the console had been designed to have two Cell processors instead of a Cell processor and a GPU, but at least they addressed the problem without pulling a Saturn.

Every PS3 that came after the launch units got progressively worse as they tried to push down to the cheaper areas. The Xbox 360 Slim came after years of trying to make the original 360 design (re: a turkey) fly. They showed up with glossy plastic, silver highlights, black standard, touch sensor buttons, integrated wireless, that was the same time they started letting you use usb flash drives for memory cards instead of proprietary ones, and I think that's when they copied allowing installs, too.

Thing is, I'd argue the Xbox 360's UI got more and more convoluted as time went on. Ask an indie developer if the UI was a work of art or great. I'd bet they'd tell you to STFU. The problem with the 360 UI was as time went on they added more and more things to it (used to be blades I think) and it got very hard to navigate. How did they solve this?

By copying Metro and Metro was an iteration on the Media Center idea of side to side with icons. XMB in its most basic form was already there years ago. So in short, MS finally got around to doing what Sony did, then iterated on it some (given that it's 7-8 years and XMB actually first came out with the PSP), it's taken MS a while to get back to the idea that scrolling through huge graphics you have to go up, down, left, right, etc through various odd categories and facing tons of discoverability issues with slapped-in branding like Zune at times...

I think their UI left a lot to be desired. Sure, they changed it a lot and sure, Sony didn't. I'd argue you don't need to change a functional design just because. You change a design when you have a better one. The original 360 UI was boring as hell and less than ideal, but it was far more functional than the ones that came later. With the most recent, they're copying Metro designs from Windows 8/Windows Phone, so they went back to boring. At least it was reasonably functional. The Xbone seems to be ready to iterate on that, but see...

...now they're not far away from the XMB again. Meanwhile, Sony iterated on the XMB to their current design for the PS4, which looks superior again to MS. Just because MS changed their UI a lot doesn't make it better though. Seems like they couldn't ever get it right.

Also, if you look at what Naughty Dog did with the PS3 hardware at 720p versus what MS had Bungie and then 343 Guilty Spark doing at sub-720p, I'd say Sony's got the people who know how to squeeze software to do as much as humanly possible with hardware more than MS.

Especially with Bungie gone.

I don't think the DRE is anywhere close to the RROD in prevalence. I mean, the QA on the launch Xbox 360's had to be pretty bad when IGN reported a year later that every single one of their PERSONAL 360's and work 360's from launch had died. Every single one.

I don't think any PS3 even comes close to that level of failure rate. The fact that MS didn't do a recall and wasn't forced to do a recall is just a testament to how expensive the PS3 was and how invested people were in their $60 a pop collections.

The 360 Slim did not mimick the PS3's launch design for no reason. The PS3 launch design was a work of art that was quieter, cooler, better than the 360 in every way except GPU performance and memory division. Those were problems due to the fact the console had been designed to have two Cell processors instead of a Cell processor and a GPU, but at least they addressed the problem without pulling a Saturn.

Every PS3 that came after the launch units got progressively worse as they tried to push down to the cheaper areas. The Xbox 360 Slim came after years of trying to make the original 360 design (re: a turkey) fly. They showed up with glossy plastic, silver highlights, black standard, touch sensor buttons, integrated wireless, that was the same time they started letting you use usb flash drives for memory cards instead of proprietary ones, and I think that's when they copied allowing installs, too.

Thing is, I'd argue the Xbox 360's UI got more and more convoluted as time went on. Ask an indie developer if the UI was a work of art or great. I'd bet they'd tell you to STFU. The problem with the 360 UI was as time went on they added more and more things to it (used to be blades I think) and it got very hard to navigate. How did they solve this?

By copying Metro and Metro was an iteration on the Media Center idea of side to side with icons. XMB in its most basic form was already there years ago. So in short, MS finally got around to doing what Sony did, then iterated on it some (given that it's 7-8 years and XMB actually first came out with the PSP), it's taken MS a while to get back to the idea that scrolling through huge graphics you have to go up, down, left, right, etc through various odd categories and facing tons of discoverability issues with slapped-in branding like Zune at times...

I think their UI left a lot to be desired. Sure, they changed it a lot and sure, Sony didn't. I'd argue you don't need to change a functional design just because. You change a design when you have a better one. The original 360 UI was boring as hell and less than ideal, but it was far more functional than the ones that came later. With the most recent, they're copying Metro designs from Windows 8/Windows Phone, so they went back to boring. At least it was reasonably functional. The Xbone seems to be ready to iterate on that, but see...

...now they're not far away from the XMB again. Meanwhile, Sony iterated on the XMB to their current design for the PS4, which looks superior again to MS. Just because MS changed their UI a lot doesn't make it better though. Seems like they couldn't ever get it right.

Also, if you look at what Naughty Dog did with the PS3 hardware at 720p versus what MS had Bungie and then 343 Guilty Spark doing at sub-720p, I'd say Sony's got the people who know how to squeeze software to do as much as humanly possible with hardware more than MS.

Especially with Bungie gone.
. But will they blend?

But it really comes down to games. If both consoles have good exclusives then I will get both. Hell I bought a Wiiu knowing damn well it wouldn't hold up to the other systems. If it had anything worth a damn on it then it would be selling. Nintendo really needed to stack the launch with 7-10 true Nintendo franchise games to move the thing and get other developers interested. But they misjudged the resources needed to produce more complex/non SD games on their way to a HD front.

. But will they blend?

But it really comes down to games. If both consoles have good exclusives then I will get both. Hell I bought a Wiiu knowing damn well it wouldn't hold up to the other systems. If it had anything worth a damn on it then it would be selling. Nintendo really needed to stack the launch with 7-10 true Nintendo franchise games to move the thing and get other developers interested. But they misjudged the resources needed to produce more complex/non SD games on their way to a HD front.
Yeah you pretty much by a Nintendo console just for Nintendo games not cross platform games . If the Xbox is in fact "less powerful " don't you think the only way you will be able to tell will be exclusives ? Seems like Sony said last generation that they were more powerful and I couldn't tell and owned both 360 & ps3. Seemed like they just ported the 360 versions of the games to ps3?

bread's done
Back