Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

DC wasn't originally a f2p. It went f2p 7-8 months after release. So don't know why you're comparing launch f2p to a failed pay model that converted to f2p later to try and rope in more people.
What does it matter if it didn't start out that way? It's still f2p now and has been for quite awhile and it's been pretty successful with it. It will be f2p on PS4 at launch. The comparison works fine.

Yeah, the only people who pay for TV and don't have one that I know are my parents. My dad watches nothing but sports and maybe flipping over to Palladia if there's a band he likes on. My mom watches a few network shows, but mainly streams things on Netflix. Otherwise, everyone I know with pay TV has DVR, so I'm surprised it's only 46%.

I'm not surprised a lot of people on CAG don't have it, since people on here tend to be broke, and there's a much higher than average number of cord cutters on here since many are hardcore gamers and just don't watch much TV.
I've thought about getting one for years but can't justify it because I can wait a week and just watch stuff free on demand and most TV time is taken by the kids watching shows. I did recently find a $10 discount to my bill that I qualified for so I may spend the extra $5 a month for a DVR. I probably would have already done it if they weren't making me drop the old box off all the way across the county.

xboxwire_thunder_7_26857.nphd.jpg

Killer Instinct 'Season Two' planned for 2014
by Andrew Yoon, Aug 27, 2013 8:00am PDT

Related Topics – Killer Instinct, Microsoft, Double Helix, Killer Instinct Series, Xbox One
The new Killer Instinct for Xbox One will launch with six characters, with two more characters to follow. The entire roster--aka "the full game"--can be purchased for $20.

Of course, that's only the beginning for Killer Instinct. If all goes according to plan, Microsoft wants to launch a second season of DLC characters for the game in 2014.

Tbe plan would be to launch another set of eight characters for the game's second season. "You can pay $20 again and now you have 16 characters, or you pay $40 again and you'll get the everything version," Microsoft's Ken Lobb told Eurogamer. But you'll still be able to buy characters piecemeal, if that's what you want to do.

Ultimately, Microsoft wants Killer Instinct to be a game that lasts for the entire duration of Xbox One's life--with constant content updates and engine refinements that make it evolve over a generation. "Obviously like everything else, it depends on whether it sells," Lobb said, "but my expectation is yes. That's the goal."
-I think this could be a good thing. All depends on the value of what you get. But theoretically the roster could also get pretty bloated and unbalanced. We'll have to wait and see. Though what does "40 again" mean? That's kind of unclear what you get and what they are referring to ($40 for the whole roster at that point?). Maybe it's just poorly worded.

I've thought about getting one for years but can't justify it because I can wait a week and just watch stuff free on demand and most TV time is taken by the kids watching shows. I did recently find a $10 discount to my bill that I qualified for so I may spend the extra $5 a month for a DVR. I probably would have already done it if they weren't making me drop the old box off all the way across the county.
Yeah, I barely use mine any more honestly. The Daily Show is the only thing that gets taped currently, and we barely watch that anymore since I stay at my girlfriend's place most of the time (she doesn't have cable/sat). Walking Dead when it comes back is the only other thing I have an active season pass for I think.

So I'm not sure if I'll get a DVR when we move in together in December/January. Will depend on what kind of promo they offer I guess, and whether the girlfriend wants one.

I've teetered with cutting the cord myself, but in past attempts I just end up spending more on beer and food at sports bars during college football and basketball season than I do on the cable/sat bill for the whole year. :D

What does it matter if it didn't start out that way? It's still f2p now and has been for quite awhile and it's been pretty successful with it. It will be f2p on PS4 at launch. The comparison works fine.
Well let me break this down, when a company makes a game that is meant to be a one time purchase, they design it to not leave much behind a pay wall.

When a company makes a game as f2p, they start out with the idea of hiding parts of the game behind a pay wall.

So DCUO originally was set up with very little behind a pay wall. Once it went f2p they kept the main game as is. So you basically got a pay game as f2p. If DCUO originally started out as f2p I guarantee you there would not be nearly as much to it that wasn't behind a pay wall or grind wall.

So I still stand that its not a fair comparison.

Edit: this sounded kinda douche-ish. Didn't mean for it to come out like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
They keep pushing cloud gaming but its never going to work as well as they claim.

Really and you know this how? Such an elitist/fanboy comment.

Cloud stuff is just wait and see how it works.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea as I'd hate it if my games didn't run as well if I had to play off line, or my internet was sucking etc.

Especially now as I spend most of my time at my girlfriend's place, and her AT&T DSL is attrocious and drops in and out a few times an hour.  I can't really game online as I get booted, but I can at least play singleplayer with no issues (and that's 99% of my gaming).

At my place the internet is more stable, but has been issues with slowing down to the 1-2mbps range (for the 8-10 it normally gets) in evenings off and on for several months.  It's a complex with a couple 30 story high rise condo buildings and a mid rise office building all on the same ISP that's covered by condo fees from residents and lease fees from businesses so tons of people on the same servers etc. so this seems to happen periodically as bandwith usage rises and the ISP drags their feet upgrading equipment since people aren't going to cancel since we're forced to pay for it through the condo fees.

Hopefully moot as we'll be moving in together somewhere else in Dec/Jan and will get either AT&T Uverse or Comcast (hate both companies, but those are the only broadband options in the ATL area really other than building specific things like Direcpath at my condo now, or 4g stuff like Clear).

Seriously, you need to tone it down. You are far too quick to react. Put a little thought into these things.

In this particular case, the reason why is obvious. Technology based on networking is always difficult to get off the ground. This has proven true with pretty much every MMO ever released. They always have two or three weeks of poor service while the developer/publisher tries to balance the server load.

Cloud computing is just a buzz-word way of saying dedicated servers. Microsoft is investing in the necessary computing back-end to have a lot of dedicated servers that can carry an exceptional computational load. The theory is that this extra processing power will be constantly available to all XBox One's and will allow a lot of nifty extra features for on-line gaming. To a certain degree this is true, and it could prove to be a major advantage for the XBox One, especially where large-scale on-line multiplayer titles are concerned. (such as TitanFall or Destiny)

The problem comes with internet infrastructure and individual connections. Actual performance is going to be dependent on each individual connection, and will vary depending on the end-user's service. (which Microsoft has no direct control over) Until the on-line infrastructure improves in outlying areas, there will be no way to guarantee uniform performance.

I personally don't see any problem with the server load. There's going to be a natural limit initially based on the number of hardware units available. With decent metrics of the XBox One's install base, Microsoft is well positioned to scale their server load precisely, allowing them to optimize the performance and cost of their cloud hardware. This lets them avoid the pitfalls that normally plague MMO launches in terms of performance.

But generally speaking, it's always best to assume the worst when it comes to network launches. Any software or IT engineer will tell you the same.

Cloud stuff is just wait and see how it works.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea as I'd hate it if my games didn't run as well if I had to play off line, or my internet was sucking etc.

Especially now as I spend most of my time at my girlfriend's place, and her AT&T DSL is attrocious and drops in and out a few times an hour. I can't really game online as I get booted, but I can at least play singleplayer with no issues (and that's 99% of my gaming).

At my place the internet is more stable, but has been issues with slowing down to the 1-2mbps range (for the 8-10 it normally gets) in evenings off and on for several months. It's a complex with a couple 30 story high rise condo buildings and a mid rise office building all on the same ISP that's covered by condo fees from residents and lease fees from businesses so tons of people on the same servers etc. so this seems to happen periodically as bandwith usage rises and the ISP drags their feet upgrading equipment since people aren't going to cancel since we're forced to pay for it through the condo fees.

Hopefully moot as we'll be moving in together somewhere else in Dec/Jan and will get either AT&T Uverse or Comcast (hate both companies, but those are the only broadband options in the ATL area really other than building specific things like Direcpath at my condo now, or 4g stuff like Clear).

MS says that 1.5 Mbs is the min requirement. You guys are making it sound way more intense than it actually is.

MS says that 1.5 Mbs is the min requirement. You guys are making it sound way more intense than it actually is.
So would be fine at my place, but not my girlfriends where the internet is constantly dropping in and out and AT&T can do nothing about (as they think it's the security system interfering with it periodically).

It's not a big deal or anything. I just like for my consoles to be able to work 100% normally with no internet for times when I have outages, or take it to my parents in WV when visiting where they don't have any broad band options currently etc.

I agree. I see the opposite. I was extremely interested when Gaikai was founded and peaked when I saw Perry joining the team. Then they showed its beginning potential when streaming Spore, Mario Kart 64 and a couple other games. And then of course streaming WoW topped it off.

The potential is most definitely there for some game changing elements. The question is if they implement them.

I still contend cloud computing should be out now and will be the future of gaming. Being able to play any and on virtually any computer that can keep up with flash is amazing. Hearing how Gaikai wanted to set up servers for specific games (preloaded zones in cache or RAM etc) to cut down on computing power on server side made it very feasible to start now. Then Sony bought them out and shelved it for years.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for that stuff as I'd much rather just pay a fee (if reasonable) and stream games than buy them.  I don't replay or collect, so it's just a hassle buying and reselling everything.  And Gamefly and Redbox are overpriced for the little I game each week (a 10 hour game usually takes me 2-3 weeks to get through) so I'd spend more out of pocket on those rental services than I do after buying and selling a handful of games a year.

I can stream all I want on Netflix for $8.99 plus tax, Spotify for $9.99 plus tax.  Give me a game streaming service in the $10-15 a month range and I'm all for it.

What I don't like as much is cloud gaming where I'm still buying game discs in the $20-60 range per title that won't work as well if my internet is having issues.

Albert getting real... "I think people are using the way [voice] works on Xbox 360, which was an accessory we built five years after release, as how it's going to work here," he told us. "But it's so much more elegant and so much more integrated, and in many ways it's a lot faster and more convenient. Whereas on Xbox 360 it's a lesser version of doing the thing you're used to doing on your controller. "This is the part of the internet that's frustrating, because everybody wants to assume there's a [units volume] issue. And yet I'm showing real hardware here at Gamescom - a real, final, retail kit. Which I have yet to see my friends show me. Xbox One release delay explained - there are no manufacturing problems, insists Microsoft http://m.oxm.co.uk/60960/xbox-one-release-delay-explained-there-are-no-manufacturing-problems-insists-microsoft/
Economic Daily News says it's due to yield issues:

http://bgr.com/2013/08/27/xbox-one-release-date-shipments-cut/

EDIT: Major Nelson claims it's untrue

https://mobile.twitter.com/fatboy214slim/status/372423720813359104

Economic Daily News says it's due to yield issues:

http://bgr.com/2013/08/27/xbox-one-release-date-shipments-cut/
With the big cut back the other week in how many countries they're launching in, it's pretty clear they aren't going to hit the number of units they had hoped to have ready to go at launch for whatever reason.

Probably not a big deal, but if Sony has a lot more stock at launch/through the holidays AND it sells well it could give the impression of them having much greater demand when the sales numbers come out--when it could just be that X1 demand is equal or greater and MS just couldn't meet it.

Will be interesting to see how things play out this fall/winter.

I'd also think that we'll see both MS and Sony (and third parties) offering some exclusive bonuses for preordering/buying the digital version.

They really need to start incentivizing people to go digital if they want more people to get on board.

xboxwire_thunder_7_26857.nphd.jpg

Killer Instinct 'Season Two' planned for 2014
by Andrew Yoon, Aug 27, 2013 8:00am PDT