Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

One of the guys on Weekend Confirmed was pretty negative on Kinect 2.0 and specifically Fantasia, he said it wasn't responsive and he couldn't really tell much difference between 2.0 and the current one. He did also say it was probably an early version though. Also was fairly critical of Ryse, calling the combat "dumb".
I heard that Ryse wasn't good on Rebel FM as well. It's sounding like a typical launch title. They're making it look technically good but the game itself may not be good. Time will tell.

and ps eye is any better? i remember ps move and how rage i would get at that thing at how many times the thing would not fine the remote and un synce none stop.
Does it even make a difference? The move was a failure and neither the eye or Kinect is useful for most gamers. Do you have kids? If yes, then you might consider a Kinect. If no then you probably won't want a Kinect. If you already have a Kinect 1.0 then what is there in 2.0 to justify $500? I'd wager next year they sell a Kinect-less SKU.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that Ryse wasn't good on Rebel FM as well. It's sounding like a typical launch title. They're making it look technically good but the game itself may not be good. Time will tell.

Does it even make a difference? The move was a failure and neither the eye or Kinect is useful for most gamers. Do you have kids? If yes, then you might consider a Kinect. If no then you probably won't want a Kinect. If you already have a Kinect 1.0 then what is there in 2.0 to justify $500? I'd wager next year they sell a Kinect-less SKU.
how was kinect failure theway it sold it was a success it was not bad like people think i love using my kinect for non game things who will buy a xbox one for a kinect?

what will you haters bash xbox one if they do drop kinect it the price goes down to 400 or 350?
Why would they bash it if that's their biggest issue with the system right now?

If they dropped the kinect and the price was $400 or less and had more games id be interested in then id get one for sure.

I think both could be $300 right now and I still wouldn't buy either at launch, the launch line-ups for both are that boring. So meh on next-gen right now...

So getting back to the thread title.... what games does everyone plan on getting at launch and what do you look forward to the most?

I'm getting Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, and Killer Instinct. I don't plan on getting Ryze as that's the type of title I usually get on the cheap. I never liked the timed portions of Dead Rising so I'll wait to see if their changes really do make the game more interesting to me. I like Forza but I never put enough time into them when I do get them to make the drop. Maybe when it also goes cheaper. I gave up on Call of Duty with the last game.

Who else?

I got rid of so many games without playing them over the last year or two that it's absolutely ridiculous to even consider buying anything that I don't know absolutely for sure that I will play. There are too many games that people say are "must have" games. Also there's the PSN and XBL game sales which I bought way too many games through and I can't resell. Talk about buyers remorse. This is the reason I don't want to go all digital. I'm at the point now where I don't open anything until I'm ready to play it (or watch it for a movie) because I find that I buy shit I shouldn't be buying.
Yeah, the big thing I'm doing from now on is not buying any games until I'm 100% done with the backlog, and then sticking to buying one game at a time.

No more watching deals, buying games I want to play eventually because they're cheap etc. I'm always behind the curve, so games are cheap by the time I get around to them anyway. Watching the deals forum, I end up wasting money buying more games than I can play, and end up enjoying gaming less as it feels like a chore to get through the backlog.

So it's going to be one game at a time next gen for me, and will just buy whatever I want to play next whether it's $60 or $5 when I beat a game and need a new one to play. Will probably ditch my 3DS after the new Zelda too as I'm just not able to keep up with it and a console, and really struggle to get motivated to play games on the tiny screen rather than my big screens.

I think both could be $300 right now and I still wouldn't buy either at launch, the launch line-ups for both are that boring. So meh on next-gen right now...
Same. I literally don't care if I ever play any of the launch titles on either platform. Maybe Killzone, but that series is nothing special IMO. Just another dime a dozen shoter.

Combine that with having a good 10-15 games on PS3 that I really want to play still as a result of not getting a PS3 until 2012 (mainly gamed on 360 this gen), and there's just no reason for me to take the next gen plunge right now. Earliest I'll jump in is when Destiny is out--assuming it turns out well. And then only if my buddy I play co-op stuff with has picked up a console and the game.

It is rather odd to me that more and more journalists speak negatively about Ryse and people that haven't played it want to ignore their feedback because the game looks pretty. That's like ignoring the 9% Fresh rating on RottenTomatoes because you think the trailer looks awesome.

Why would they bash it if that's their biggest issue with the system right now?

If they dropped the kinect and the price was $400 or less and had more games id be interested in then id get one for sure.
All things being equal, both consoles same price and no Kinect, MS still lost a sale. I wasn't on board with the E3 console they announced but the fact they can essentially flip a switch and reenact all those policies doesn't sit well with me. I might get one down the line (like a Halo console) but their boneheadedness means the PS4 will be my primary this time out and get all the third party sales. If I get an x1 it will simply be for the exclusives.

It is rather odd to me that more and more journalists speak negatively about Ryse and people that haven't played it want to ignore their feedback because the game looks pretty. That's like ignoring the 9% Fresh rating on RottenTomatoes because you think the trailer looks awesome.
To be fair, the game hasn't released yet so there's still time for the developers to work on it and most of the journalists seem to use that caveat when talking about it. That said, if you just look at history it's safe to assume all or almost all of the launch titles are going to be mediocre to bad and will be forgotten turds by the end of the generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games#Xbox_360

All things being equal, both consoles same price and no Kinect, MS still lost a sale. I wasn't on board with the E3 console they announced but the fact they can essentially flip a switch and reenact all those policies doesn't sit well with me. I might get one down the line (like a Halo console) but their boneheadedness means the PS4 will be my primary this time out and get all the third party sales. If I get an x1 it will simply be for the exclusives.
I'm sure they could flip the switch back but there's just no way that they would do that. They really believed they were doing what was in the best interest of their customers and that their customers would be happy with the system. After all the backlash that forced their 180, could you imagine the way people would react if they returned to that system? That would be a hell of a bait and switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VpWuwxqzPM

So getting back to the thread title.... what games does everyone plan on getting at launch and what do you look forward to the most?

I'm getting Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed 4, and Killer Instinct. I don't plan on getting Ryze as that's the type of title I usually get on the cheap. I never liked the timed portions of Dead Rising so I'll wait to see if their changes really do make the game more interesting to me. I like Forza but I never put enough time into them when I do get them to make the drop. Maybe when it also goes cheaper. I gave up on Call of Duty with the last game.

Who else?
Just Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct for me. I have gamefly so I'll use that to rent Watchdogs, Assassins Creed 4, and Ryse.

Well I got $150+ in gift cards at BB.

I know I'm getting WatchDogs. Can't decide if I want to get anything else. I'm tempted to get Assassins Creed 4.

Who else?
Thank you, kind sir, for attempting to get this thread back on track. I have MS credit set aside for Killer Instinct and Ryse on preorder/prepaid. I'll probably get Crimson Dragon, as well. I'm trying to decide on another retail game and right now I'm thinking Need for Speed Rivals. I'm in the mood for a racer and prefer arcade over simulation (thus no Forza for me), but I might be persuaded to pick up ACIV or maybe even Battlefield 4. I'm not much of a military shooter and not a CoD guy. BF4 looks pretty good.

I'd argue that even the press hasn't truly played the game. Yes, they've had their hands on pre-release demo's, but that isn't the game. Besides, I think it's been given a bad rap because it wasn't what people wanted or expected it to be. Nothing wrong with being optimistic. I think there will be a certain charm to the game and, honestly, I'll be content if Ryse is nothing but next-gen launch eye candy with decent enough gameplay.

Ryse looks great graphically, but when it comes to the gameplay, it doesn't seem fluid at all.  All I see are shield bashing, a single strike button, parrying and blocking with the shield.  It looks like if you want to do more than a single strike, then you'd need to go into a QTE for an execution.  Honestly, is anyone else bored as hell when they watch the trailers or gameplay videos for this?  

Ryse looks great graphically, but when it comes to the gameplay, it doesn't seem fluid at all. All I see are shield bashing, a single strike button, parrying and blocking with the shield. It looks like if you want to do more than a single strike, then you'd need to go into a QTE for an execution. Honestly, is anyone else bored as hell when they watch the trailers or gameplay videos for this?
It's definitely a genre of game that I would expect would be entertaining while playing it, not necessarily watching it. Could you imagine that game with the combat system as fluid as Batman Arkham Asylum. :bouncy: Unfortunately I don't think that's going to be the case.

Ryse looks great, the test still remains in how well it plays. Honestly I'm going to get it regardless being one of those launch titles. There isn't much out in the way after launch till March (Titanfall) so Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Forza 4 will keep me busy for awhile.

The only game I have intentions of definitely getting for Xbox One would be Kingdom Hearts 3. I haven't been too impressed with anything else yet, but I guess time may change my opinions.

Ryse looks great, the test still remains in how well it plays. Honestly I'm going to get it regardless being one of those launch titles. There isn't much out in the way after launch till March (Titanfall) so Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Forza 4 will keep me busy for awhile.
You mean Forza 5 right.

I dunno weren't they saying the same things about Rise of Nightmares before it came out? Then it was pretty much garbage. So was Heavy Rain, which is the closest comparison they give. Even if you liked the controls, the story and acting were terrible. I do think excellent gameplay can overcome a bad story, but in Heavy Rain's case it's pretty integral to enjoying the game.

I dunno weren't they saying the same things about Rise of Nightmares before it came out? Then it was pretty much garbage. So was Heavy Rain, which is the closest comparison they give. Even if you liked the controls, the story and acting were terrible. I do think excellent gameplay can overcome a bad story, but in Heavy Rain's case it's pretty integral to enjoying the game.
I still contend rise of nightmares showed off what a kinect game COULD be, horribly implemented but it showed that you could have a full motion game that was fun. If only a higher end studio would try...

And yes I do agree Rise of Nightmares was NOT a good game, but if you played it you could see at least some of the potential.

Also it's not like Deadly Premonition is some masterpiece of gaming either, even it's biggest fans call it a "good bad game". How about a good good game?

heavyrain great stroy to it

Ugh D4 sounds deplorable:

Try Not to Punch the TV When Playing D4
original.jpg

Dark Dreams Don't Die, or D4, is an Xbox One exclusive episodic game that tells the story of a time-traveling detective trying to solve and prevent the murder of his wife. Japanese game designer Hidetaka Suehiro, or Swery, is developing this game.

The cel-shaded game is centered around the Kinect—you will be interacting with an intuitive environment much like in the PS3 title Heavy Rain. Although the game will fully support controllers, Swery emphasized how it can be easily played while sitting down with the Xbox One's Kinect. Basic movement controls can range from simply swiping your hand left and right to look in different directions, to swinging your fists during action scenes. There are also voice-controlled conversations where you may choose dialogue options verbally (or with a controller if you don't want your neighbors to think you're crazy). Every decision will have a synchro-rating, which shows you how much you understand the main character.

Unlike Heavy Rain, though, there is only one core storyline, with small changes that may be affected by your decisions and QTE performance. Many QTE instances will have scores grading you on how accurate you were, and you may change the difficulty to make the sequences less straining for a lower score. Swery did mention that "retrying instances can be done quickly so as to not frustrate the players."

Aside from swinging your fists at the TV screen, you can look around the environment and eat random food and drinks scattered everywhere. In fact, if you wish to look at every little crook and nanny, you will have find all the food you can as interactions with objects require stamina that can only be restored by eating. Fortunately, you will have a special vision-mode (activated by making glasses with your hands) to highlight objects to interact with.1

Every episode will have 2 to 3 hours worth of gameplay alongside sidequests. A mystery drama in the form of an interactive story, the Xbox One exclusive game aims to immerse the players in its quirky yet dark world of murder, fist swinging and time-traveling.

Swiping left and right to look? Interaction requires "stamina" by eating food? And each ep is 2-3 hours long? Yeah Sounds awful already.

I like the graphical look of D4 but the gameplay itself sounds pretty bad to me.  If they made a non kinect game that looked like that and had more than a couple hours of gameplay per episode I'd probably check it out.

Good odds they'll be $20 a piece....

Yea I know. Just seems ridiculous for 2-3 hours of gameplay.

Also does anyone know if it is possible to pre order any X1 titles right now using MS points?

I'll get one eventually, probably not for a long ass time though. Until a game comes out for it that I absolutely must have for it I won't be getting it. Considering at the moment developers are still making games for the 360 and One and there is no currently scheduled games for the One I want I predict it will be a long time indeed before I get one.

I'll get one eventually, probably not for a long ass time though. Until a game comes out for it that I absolutely must have for it I won't be getting it. Considering at the moment developers are still making games for the 360 and One and there is no currently scheduled games for the One I want I predict it will be a long time indeed before I get one.
I think that Destiny will be that game for many people and I predict it will be a richer experience on next gen.

Eurogamer Expo 2013: Xbox One cycle more than 10 years, says Harrison
Xbox boss Phil Harrison has confirmed that Xbox One’s cycle will last more than a decade, speaking in the first session at this year’s Eurogamer Expo today.

Harrison confirmed Xbox One is on a “more than ten-year journey.” The console releases on November 22.

After dropping new Kinect details, the Microsoft exec also showed off Xbox One’s Upload Studio, which allows users to record, trim, record additional footage and voice-over for clips using Kinect, and upload and share with whoever they wish. If you see a game you like the look of on someone else’s upload, you can easily pop over to the appropriate game-page and get buying.

“We think this is a powerful virality tool,” said Harrison. Users will be able to apply to become “anchor tenants” of the Xbox One upload channel.

ID@Xbox, Xbox One’s indie development programme, was also featured in the talk.

Harrison reiterated that Xbox One will launch with 23 games, 11 of which are billion-dollar franchises.

Harrison’s presentation is the first in a series of live sessions at Eurogamer Expo this week.

Other highlights today include Forza 5 at 1pm and The Evil Within at 5pm.

You can see the complete schedule over on the Eurogamer Expo site. There’s a pretty ridiculous amount of good stuff.

game informer has a giant article on ea sports games for next gen and indie article on xbox one and i love what i have read. Sounds like game informer was impressed with what they seen in fifa and madden and another article about ghost was another awsome article.

Eurogamer Expo 2013: Xbox One cycle more than 10 years, says Harrison

Xbox boss Phil Harrison has confirmed that Xbox One’s cycle will last more than a decade, speaking in the first session at this year’s Eurogamer Expo today.

Harrison confirmed Xbox One is on a “more than ten-year journey.” The console releases on November 22.

After dropping new Kinect details, the Microsoft exec also showed off Xbox One’s Upload Studio, which allows users to record, trim, record additional footage and voice-over for clips using Kinect, and upload and share with whoever they wish. If you see a game you like the look of on someone else’s upload, you can easily pop over to the appropriate game-page and get buying.

“We think this is a powerful virality tool,” said Harrison. Users will be able to apply to become “anchor tenants” of the Xbox One upload channel.

ID@Xbox, Xbox One’s indie development programme, was also featured in the talk.

Harrison reiterated that Xbox One will launch with 23 games, 11 of which are billion-dollar franchises.

Harrison’s presentation is the first in a series of live sessions at Eurogamer Expo this week.

Other highlights today include Forza 5 at 1pm and The Evil Within at 5pm.

You can see the complete schedule over on the Eurogamer Expo site. There’s a pretty ridiculous amount of good stuff.
not shocked good chanc 360 will have close to a ten year life span.

bread's done
Back